jscott991
Lieutenant

Walkthrough for New Players

Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:40 pm

I was considering buying Civil War 2 when I remembered I had Civil War and had never actually tried it (I bought Forge of Freedom, Gary Grigsby's War Between the States, and this all at once and only played the first two).

Is there a walkthrough available that focuses on what a Union player should do on each of the early turns (or beyond)? The tutorials are ok, but this game is much bigger in focus than FoF or WBtS in terms of detail and I'm having trouble figuring out what I should be doing each turn.

The tips and concepts stickied at the top are great, but I'm really looking for something a little more detailed so I can start to put together an Army of the Potomac and enjoy 1862, etc.

Mickey3D

Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:18 pm

jscott991
Lieutenant

Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:15 pm

Thanks. It's a start. I was really hoping for something more involved but the first thread definitely helps. The checklist is useful too, but I don't even understand the importance of all the steps listed so reminding me to do them isn't as helpful as a true walkthrough.

jscott991
Lieutenant

Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:25 am

There are just so many things unexplained.

For example, in the 1862 scenario, Grant's Army of Tennessee starts with 6 divisions, but no corps.

You can use McClernand, Dodge, or Wallace to form a corps, but Dodge can't form or command a division. Why?

This same situation comes up in the two Valley forces under Banks and Fremont. There are 1 star generals there that for some reason can't form divisions.

Auger in the Army of Potomac is the same way.

What about these guys make them unable to form divisions? I'm particularly interested in why Dodge can't do it.

Also, in this scenario are there no extra generals anywhere to form new divisions? Do you have to wait until generals are activated at the beginning of the year? There doesn't seem to be a general pool anywhere. If you advance the turn, Hooker's brigade appears, but Hooker doesn't. Where is he?

ArmChairGeneral
AGEod Grognard

Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:12 am

AOT: you decide who you want as Corps Commanders from those three and set up your Corps the way you want them.

You can only form divisions with an active leader. Each turn, each leader makes a check against his strategic rating (the 3 in a 3-1-1 general) to see if he is active or not. Inactivity gives movement and combat penalties, and prevents him from executing offensive orders. I thought they couldn't form Corps either, but if Dodge can, then....

In the Grand Campaigns, you get a new infusion of generals at the beginning of every year, but I don't know about the 1862 scenario. Each scenario has a script that determines when and where units come on the map. For a definitive answer, you can look in the game files for something like a Scenarios folder and dig through them to find it. They look weird, but the language is pretty readable by non-programmers (like me). I would look for you, but I no longer have AACW installed as I recently switched computers. Otherwise you just have to play through once so you know what is going to appear and when.

The unit name XXXX's Brigade is a flavor only title in AACW and CW2. Hooker isn't necessarily attached to the brigade (unless you see his portrait on it) and other people can command it. As to whether Hooker himself is going to show up, I can't say.

If your divisions are not full already (17 elements plus the leader) then you won't need to form new divisions, you can add them to the ones you have. I don't know how much building of fresh troops that scenario allows, but you may simply be constrained by the number of leaders you have (there is rarely excess leadership in AGEOD scenarios).

Return to “AACW Strategy discussions”