Gen. Monkey-Bear
Lieutenant Colonel

Building Forts

Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:09 am

I am having difficulty building forts in my game. I found a brief description in the manual, but as far as I can tell I'm doing everything correct. Can you all please explain to me the requirements for building?

Ethan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:47 am

Hi Gen. Monkey-Bear,

The following requirements must be fulfilled in order to build a permanent fort:

* You must have 4 supply wagon elements and 4 artillery elements gathered in a region.

* The elements must have at least 50% strength.

* The units cannot be in a stack led by an inactive general.

* You must have at least 51% military control of the region in question.

* There must be a city (of any level) in the region.

When these conditions are fulfilled, you can use the "build fortification" special order to start construction of the fort.

Good luck and enjoy playing! ;)
[color="Navy"][font="Georgia"]"Mi grandeza no reside en no haber caído nunca, sino en haberme levantado siempre". Napoleón Bonaparte.[/font][/color]

[color="Blue"]Same Land. Different Dreams. - Photobook[/color]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Gen. Monkey-Bear
Lieutenant Colonel

Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:50 am

Ah I see thank you very much. I suppose the issue in my game is I am attempting to build a fort in a region without a city.

Wow another building rule that seems to be tailored for the purpose of ruining my plans :)

Ethan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:56 am

You're welcome! :thumbsup:
[color="Navy"][font="Georgia"]"Mi grandeza no reside en no haber caído nunca, sino en haberme levantado siempre". Napoleón Bonaparte.[/font][/color]

[color="Blue"]Same Land. Different Dreams. - Photobook[/color]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jerzul
Captain

Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:45 am

Ethan wrote:Hi Gen. Monkey-Bear,

The following requirements must be fulfilled in order to build a permanent fort:

* You must have 4 supply wagon elements and 4 artillery elements gathered in a region.

* The elements must have at least 50% strength.

* The units cannot be in a stack led by an inactive general.

* You must have at least 51% military control of the region in question.

* There must be a city (of any level) in the region.

When these conditions are fulfilled, you can use the "build fortification" special order to start construction of the fort.

Good luck and enjoy playing! ;)

You can also use 4 transport elements to build forts on rivers and coasts
I have heard, in such a way as to believe it, of your recently saying that both the army and the government needed a dictator. Of course it was not for this, but in spite of it, that I have given you the command. Only those generals who gain success can be dictators. What I now ask of you is military success, and I will risk the dictatorship.

-Abraham Lincoln, 1863, in a letter to Major General Joseph Hooker.

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:09 pm

Good advice, Jerzul, as the river transports are cheaper than 4 supply wagons!
Two Rules: 1. The Tournament Director is always right. 2. When the Tournament Director is wrong, see Rule 1.

Gen. Monkey-Bear
Lieutenant Colonel

Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:01 pm

Thanks very much guys. Does this also mean that I cannot build in a region with a depot (and no city/structure)?

lodilefty

Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:26 pm

To clarify:

To build a fort costs 4 Supply Elements [i.e., one complete Supply unit or transport-type ship(ocean or river) plus 4 Artillery Elements (usually 4 units)]
The structure file states minimum citylevel = 1, so you must have a structure there defined as type City (City or Indian Village)

Please only report bugs from patch 1.16a

If you have examples of Forts built otherwise, please post save game here.
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

Wraith
Sergeant

Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:31 pm

May I just comment (having just learned about how the forts are built in this game) how bloody rediculous it is that the units are consumed and nothing is returned. I just wound up expending 1 Coastal Artillery and 2 Columbiads in Paducah for absolutely nothing other than now having a Fort there... unmanned... ungunned... because of how those mechanics work.

colonel hurst
Corporal

Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:54 am

I would suggest never using Columbiads or coastal artillery to build forts. In the west, call up four 6 pounders from Louisana and then use those to help build a fort. These with river transports in Memphis will get you a fort in a key spot. Then place the coastal or Columbiad in the fort to bombard Union trips down the Mississippi.

Wraith
Sergeant

Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:43 pm

No kidding. I figured that out yesterday after building the fort with the Coastal Artillery/Columbiads/12lber. I just wish that it had been clearer from the get-go that you're going to lose those forces, as now I'm out nearly $200K (also burned a supply wagon, but that was a tactical decision of mine to build the fort sooner rather than wait for river trans) of funds--and War Supply!--with no benefit other than now having an empty fort.

exar83
Private

Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:04 am

I figured I'd add a little. I built a fort at Paducah, KY (Ft. McCracken) and put coastal artillery in there. I noticed it kept bombarding something but noone was around. Then I watched carefully and saw it was shelling Charleston, MO all the way from Paducah!! Athena couldn't keep anything there. So far thats the most useful region I've ever seen a fort built at. It completely shut her down from using the Ohio River.

Return to “AACW Strategy discussions”