lordlau1
Corporal

War Supplies and Unit Maintenance

Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:41 am

Hey folks, I am new to this game and have read through the AGE wiki (when I played PoN) and the AACW wiki. I also read the stickied posts to help new players along with the manual.

I can not find anywhere it explains unit maintenance? Do we pay costs beyond the initial cost to create divisions? Example: turn 1...create divison (pay 5 war supplies, etc) then on turn 2, do we pay so much per division?

The other question I have is about the South and war supplies.Using 15 blockade runners and 5 industrial states, I still lack war supplies by Jan 1862 in a major way. I get 120 per turn, but actually only get to use about 5-15. (I suspect that is from some sort of maintenance?)

Thanks in advance for the replies!

Also just wanted to add....I read ALOT of these forums this week...and I am sooo impressed with this game! And even more impressed with moderators/developers...I mean where can you find people who work on old games and actually communicate with the developers??? This is out of my realm of experience and I am in awe.. :)

charlesonmission

Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:18 am

Hi there,

Unit maintenance is represented through the F3 screen; replacements. Whenever you lose men through battles, desertion, sickness, etc., you need replacement to get the element back up to strength.

I'm not sure what you mean by the WS issue. If you are doing industrialization, that takes WS, lots of it, that could be your problem.

lordlau1 wrote:Hey folks, I am new to this game and have read through the AGE wiki (when I played PoN) and the AACW wiki. I also read the stickied posts to help new players along with the manual.

I can not find anywhere it explains unit maintenance? Do we pay costs beyond the initial cost to create divisions? Example: turn 1...create divison (pay 5 war supplies, etc) then on turn 2, do we pay so much per division?

The other question I have is about the South and war supplies.Using 15 blockade runners and 5 industrial states, I still lack war supplies by Jan 1862 in a major way. I get 120 per turn, but actually only get to use about 5-15. (I suspect that is from some sort of maintenance?)

Thanks in advance for the replies!

Also just wanted to add....I read ALOT of these forums this week...and I am sooo impressed with this game! And even more impressed with moderators/developers...I mean where can you find people who work on old games and actually communicate with the developers??? This is out of my realm of experience and I am in awe.. :)

lordlau1
Corporal

Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:36 am

Yes, I do understand the replacement screen now.

So, the industrialization used those materials each turn? If that is the case, then does the upgrades like new factories that give you +4 war supplies stay after you turn industrialization off?

charlesonmission

Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:52 am

Yes, if you industrialize, it will use moneyand WS. Take a look at the screen tool tip I think it will tell you how much. Industralization is used to increase the supply of GS, ammo, and WS over time. However, it can be rather expensive early on (depending on which state you use). Generally, most players like to build the brigs early on and than indistralize later on when you are in a better financial position. However, I am usually interested in producing more GS for industralization, not WS as the brigs can bring in that if needed.

lordlau1 wrote:Yes, I do understand the replacement screen now.

So, the industrialization used those materials each turn? If that is the case, then does the upgrades like new factories that give you +4 war supplies stay after you turn industrialization off?

Durk

Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:10 am

lordlau1 wrote:Yes, I do understand the replacement screen now.

The industrialization stays, once built.
However, the consensus seems to be, do not build industries early. Wait at least a year. This is not infrastructure, it is kind of like a bonus build when you must have it or can afford it.

Jim-NC

Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:34 pm

Welcome to the forums lordlau1. :D

You'll find a wealth of information and tips about how to play. Remeber the search function, it will be your friend. We are always here to help others learn/enjoy this great game.
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

lordlau1
Corporal

Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:13 am

Thanks, Jim, I appreciate it. I have been putting the search tool to major use. It really helped with the supply and some other things that needed to be understood.

A question, though....I see how brigs work to run the blockades. Is there a great use for Frigates? And is it even worth trying to attack the Union shipping in the box in the Atlantic under the blockade box? I don't think I collect those supplies...we just sink them?

Spharv2

Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:47 pm

Yes, they will detract from the Union supplies and money, but don't give them to you. Generally not really worth the effort since the Union has plenty of both usually. Though it can be effective if you force the Union to spend resources on ships to hunt your raiders down instead of land forces.
Official Queen's Ambassador to the South
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:53 pm

Spharv2 wrote:Yes, they will detract from the Union supplies and money, but don't give them to you. Generally not really worth the effort since the Union has plenty of both usually. Though it can be effective if you force the Union to spend resources on ships to hunt your raiders down instead of land forces.

One point though: in the current update 1.16rc10a, ship repair is very slow. If you want to "game" it, attack those ships and hope the AI sends them back to port for a long stay there. Of course, the same may happen to you!

Return to “AACW Strategy discussions”