GenJackson
Private

Conquering Union States

Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:36 am

I was wondering if there is any advantage as the CSA in focusing on all out conquest of a Union state. I have a formulated battle plan for taking over all cities in Maryland and Delaware and was curious what would be the final result. Would I get to actually raise regiments from those states? Of would it just be more territory to guard.

Interestingly enough, I think the plan I devised (using the entire CSA military to conquer a single state) might even work in Illinois or Ohio. Imagine Chicago in Confederate hands!

So, anyway, is it worth it? I'll have to give it at least a try.

Pat "Stonewall" Cleburne
General of the Army

Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:35 am

GenJackson wrote:I was wondering if there is any advantage as the CSA in focusing on all out conquest of a Union state. I have a formulated battle plan for taking over all cities in Maryland and Delaware and was curious what would be the final result. Would I get to actually raise regiments from those states? Of would it just be more territory to guard.

Interestingly enough, I think the plan I devised (using the entire CSA military to conquer a single state) might even work in Illinois or Ohio. Imagine Chicago in Confederate hands!

So, anyway, is it worth it? I'll have to give it at least a try.

I've conquered many a Union state. You don't get a big benefit from it. Just some WS at most. I captured every city in America by 1868 in my conquer the world campaign. It's just something to try.

Jim-NC

Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:12 pm

You can't raise regiments in the conquered state. You get more supply, more CS points (if you take over the city with the tent), and more WS. You also deprive your enemy of recruiting if you control all cities in his/her state.

On the negative side, you have to defend more territory. And it doesn't do much else than what is listed above.
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ol' Choctaw

Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:46 am

Yes,

You get their supplies. Sometimes you get money too. You also get conscript points.

You need not take every city though. The strategic cities are the ones that give you points. If you don’t have those or if it is not garrisoned properly you get nothing.

Cromagnonman
Brigadier General

Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:40 pm

Occupying all the towns in a state is necessary to prevent your enemy from recruiting units in that state
"firstest with the mostest"

"I fights mit Sigel"

GenJackson
Private

Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:43 pm

I wonder if the simulator allows one to raise CSA regiments from captured Union states. Historically, had either Maryland or Delaware been overrun by the Confederacy, in all likelihood there would have been some effort to form regiments from those two slave states -especially Maryland which was never seen as "enemy territory" by the Confederacy.

I have also seen Missouri start the simulation as a Union state, due to most of the cities being occupied by Union troops, but late switching over to Confederacy after taking Rolla and Springfield. When that happens, it is possible to raise Missouri CSA regiments. I think Missouri (and Kentucky for that matter) might be a different situation from the "true" Union states.

Gray_Lensman

Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:51 pm

deleted

TheDoctorKing

Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:07 pm

I've thought about this and it is on my list of desirable mods/features in AACW2. The Union raised about 80 regiments from southern states and although the proportion of northerners who were disaffected with their government was smaller than the number of southerners (mostly dark-skinned ones) who were disaffected with their government, there would certainly have been some willing to be recruited. Southern Illinois and Indiana were especially full of people with divided loyalties. I'd like to see events trigger whenever you have been in a state for a while adding some regiments from that state to your force pool. It might be handy to be able to recruit new CSA units in Cairo or Indianapolis.
Stewart King

"There is no substitute for victory"

Depends on how you define victory.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “AACW Strategy discussions”