Scotland1
Conscript

moron question #2-- the division tab thing

Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:55 am

ok-- you guys helped me fathom the mystery of the division formation... so additional questions:

1.) i have an activated "divisionable" general but i'm in a location where there are multiple tabs (say a brigade here, a regiment there)... there are both in same location... how do I add the available regiment to the "divisionable" general in the same locale/next tab over?

2.) i have tried to create divisions but it doesn't seem like you can add supply wagons to a division..also i can only add about 3-4 units to a new division... thot it was optimum to add up to 17-18 units total?

sorry for the dumb question again (moron me)

GraniteStater
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:31 pm

Scotland1 wrote:ok-- you guys helped me fathom the mystery of the division formation... so additional questions:

1.) i have an activated "divisionable" general but i'm in a location where there are multiple tabs (say a brigade here, a regiment there)... there are both in same location... how do I add the available regiment to the "divisionable" general in the same locale/next tab over?

2.) i have tried to create divisions but it doesn't seem like you can add supply wagons to a division..also i can only add about 3-4 units to a new division... thot it was optimum to add up to 17-18 units total?

sorry for the dumb question again (moron me)

1) The working level of organization the game uses is a brigade (Bde), the smallest combat units in the game. Historically, Civil War units were raised by regiments (cavalry and artillery used different nomenclatures, but for simplicity, players call all the combat units brigades) - in the game, these are elements. The units in the game have one or more elements (subunits - same thing). A Bde can be one element, or more. Some Bdes have five elements of three infantry regiments, one cavalry regiment, and an artillery regiment. When first bought and created, they appear in a friendly city and take a Turn or two, maybe a bit more, to be fleshed out and ready to move and participate in the game. To answer your question, click on the unit's tab on the bottom part of the screen and drag 'n drop on another tab. Or, you can click on the unit's icon on the map and drag 'n drop.

2) Supply Wagons do not become part of Divisions - they are always separate and do not merge with any other unit. Divisions may have up to 18 elements in them including the general. A typical Division has three or more brigades, although it may have just one, always including a general. Once formed, a Division is a unit.

I hope this clarifies things for you - welcome to AACW, a most excellent game.
[color="#AFEEEE"]"Liberty and Union, now and forever, one and inseparable!"[/color]
-Daniel Webster

[color="#FFA07A"]"C'mon, boys, we got the damn Yankees on the run!"[/color]
-General Joseph Wheeler, US Army, serving at Santiago in 1898

RULES
(A) When in doubt, agree with Ace.
(B) Pull my reins up sharply when needed, for I am a spirited thoroughbred and forget to turn at the post sometimes.

Cromagnonman
Brigadier General

Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:05 pm

I think a lot of your questions can be answered better and more graphically (since most of your questions seem to be GUI-based) via the in-game tutorial. It's been a long time since I went thru it, but it definitely ensured that I knew nuts-n-bolts basics. Not to seem condescending, just trying to point you towards a more interactive help source.

Mickey3D

Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:37 pm

Scotland1 wrote:1.) i have an activated "divisionable" general but i'm in a location where there are multiple tabs (say a brigade here, a regiment there)... there are both in same location... how do I add the available regiment to the "divisionable" general in the same locale/next tab over?

Three ways of doing it :

- On the map drag the image of one force on another : this will merge both forces.
- Drag a tab on the other : same effect as above.
- Drag a unit in a tab on another tab : unit is moved.

Wagon can't be added to division.

A division can contain 18 elements (leader included --> 17 fighting elements) :
[ATTACH]14627[/ATTACH]

Each unit (brigade) composing the division being made of several elements (1 to 5).
[ATTACH]14628[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Units.jpg
elements.jpg

Scotland1
Conscript

Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:18 pm

the light shines in... this has helped enormously!!! (and yep, i slogged thru the tutorial/s...such as they are...but they just didn't help as much as i thot they would...i'm on eof those, hell i've been gaming massive spi deals since i was 12...i can whup this!...nope!)

anyway i concur...worth the aggravation...i'm losing but learning loads!

GraniteStater
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:30 pm

Just keep it up, that's how I got comfortable and started to feel that I had some idea of what I was doing, form plans, etc. It took me a good dozen restarts of imdividual games before I had a clue about Supply. If you know the historical period and how people did things in armies back then, it's not a bad model - fairly realistic; takes weather into account, for one thing, it's not unimportant.
[color="#AFEEEE"]"Liberty and Union, now and forever, one and inseparable!"[/color]

-Daniel Webster

[color="#FFA07A"]"C'mon, boys, we got the damn Yankees on the run!"[/color]

-General Joseph Wheeler, US Army, serving at Santiago in 1898

RULES

(A) When in doubt, agree with Ace.

(B) Pull my reins up sharply when needed, for I am a spirited thoroughbred and forget to turn at the post sometimes.

Johnny Reb
Private

Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:50 pm

Second what GS says, just keep at it. I started playing 1861 w/Kentucky a month ago and keep restarting because I discover something different every time. I'll get into 1862 and then realize my mistakes and restart. I've learned a lot in a month. I hope one day to see 1863! :D
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “AACW Strategy discussions”