CFC67
Conscript

1864 campaign

Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:44 pm

Has anybody tried the 1864 campaign as the CSA?? Thought I'd give it a go and see if I could prolong the war beyond April 1865; so I re-organised the corps/divisions, set up one or two new supply depots etc etc.

Well, I stopped any direct attack towards Atlanta, re-captured Norfolk and defeated an attack on Richmond. Then I noticed that virtually all of my supply depots had no food supplies. By late July 1864 all my main forces were begiining to starve and waste away. However I still have largely intact rail links from Georgia to Virginia.

Anyone know the reason for this and if there is a solution to it?

Gray_Lensman

Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:06 pm

deleted

Spharv2

Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:52 am

Did you have sufficient rail capacity to move supplies up? Did you have supplies building up behind the lines and it wasn't moving up, or were there simply not enough supplies in the back to move up? Rail capacity should be at a premium by 64, so if you were moving forces by rail nearly at all, that could prevent your front lines from receiving sufficient supplies. Did you have supply wagons with your forces? I wish I could load it up and look at the situation, but my computer is shot, so I can't even take a look.
Official Queen's Ambassador to the South
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Gray_Lensman

Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:21 am

deleted

CFC67
Conscript

Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:39 am

Gray_Lensman wrote:All reasons to examine the saved game files. His post above leaves very little to go on. Instead of asking a "zillion" questions, I'd rather just examine the saved game files and determine if his issue is one of the above or a true bug, i.e. possibly an end of game issue, etc. Odds are it's something he overlooked, but you never know. :)

I have moved on a couple of turns since my original post and CSA forces are disintergrating everywhere. I will try and post the save game files later. I updated the game using 1.14 patch.

Spharv2

Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:45 pm

Gray_Lensman wrote:All reasons to examine the saved game files. His post above leaves very little to go on. Instead of asking a "zillion" questions, I'd rather just examine the saved game files and determine if his issue is one of the above or a true bug, i.e. possibly an end of game issue, etc. Odds are it's something he overlooked, but you never know. :)

True, but since I can't load the game to look at things, I got no choice. :bonk:
Official Queen's Ambassador to the South

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

CFC67
Conscript

Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:23 pm

Gray_Lensman wrote:Please post the saved game files and confirm the update version of the game you are playing.

Forgive my ignorance but how do I actually post the saved game files?

Jim-NC

Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:17 pm

CFC67 wrote:Forgive my ignorance but how do I actually post the saved game files?

See post 4 in the attached link:
http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?t=14283&highlight=post+saved+games

Do remember to zip the files before attaching them.
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Degataga
Private

Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:51 am

Yes this always happens in the 1864 campaign. I'm pretty sure it's simply a matter of the CSA not producing enough to feed its armies because the only time I managed to save the Army of the Tennessee from destruction was after investing in industrialization in Georgia and getting lucky with a bunch of new general supply production.

Everything else still prettymuch starved to death though. :neener:

Gray_Lensman

Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:00 am

deleted

Degataga
Private

Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:26 pm

While that may have been the intention it certainly doesn't correspond to reality since I don't recall all the Confederate armies starving to death around late 64/early 65. :bonk:

enf91
AGEod Veteran

Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:10 pm

Not all of them, but it was pretty close. Why did Lee attacked Gettysburg? He needed food. The battle started because Confederate infantry were hunting shoes. The Confederacy was in dire straits, and losing the connection to Texas didn't help.

Degataga
Private

Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:08 am

Sorry but no Confederate field army starved to death in the course of the entire war. I'm not complaining about the fact that my armies are on low rations, that would be fine, I'm literally saying the entire Army of Northern Virginia dug in right around its supply bases in Richmond and Petersburg with a secure rail line to the Carolinas and all of Georgia still held will completely disappear without the Union doing a thing.

That is not historically accurate.

Gray_Lensman

Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:32 am

deleted

OneArmedMexican
General

Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:35 am

Historical realism aside, the supply problem makes the 64 and (to a lesser degree) the 63 scenario virtually unplayable. It is just not very amusing to watch your armies starve to death.

An easy fix is to edit the scenario files manually (notepad does the trick) and augment the Southern general supply production in certain key cities (e.g. Richmond, Atlanta, Vicksburg (in 63)). Roughly a 100 additional points in general supply spread across those cities were enough in my games.
This might not be historically accurate, but at least the two most challenging campagnes in the game become enjoyable.
Mind however, even after such a modification, starvation does not stop! It just doesn't wipe out whole armies anymore (it still causes losses and forces retreats).

Return to “AACW Strategy discussions”