CheerfullyInsane
Private

Laugh if you will....

Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:15 am

Figured I'd post this, since I'm pretty sure other noobs have the same problem. If not, the regulars can have a chuckle at my expense.
Either way, time well spent. ;)

Newly acquired AACW, since I loved NCP.
Small problem though is the geography.
Being european I know bugger-all about US geography, and even less about the ACW. Asking me to find say Springfield in this game is about equivalent to asking an american to locate Bucharest. :D
So while it's all very well to read advice and AARs, if you have no idea what is going on, revelation comes hard.

So what does one do?
Well, I started out doing what I suspect most others do. Just start the game, and let it run a few months of gametime, just figuring out where all these pesky troopers have decided to join their respective armies.
No good. The start of the war seems to be dominated by small trickles of guys showing up with muskets (or possibly pitchforks if it's militia) in odd places.
Trying to keep track of them all turned out to be an exercise in futility.

Okay, time to get serious.
So I found a map here:
http://history.sandiego.edu/gen/maps/1800s/1862magnus3200.jpg
and printed it out, split onto four pages. A little glue, a few sticky fingers, and a fair bit of cursing later, I ended up with this:
White pins being objectives, black pins strategic cities.
Now, it's not perfect, since the map also shows *planned* railroads, and the black/white print has made the rivers unrecognizable, but still....
This is a HUGE help.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still struggling with all the other things that everyone else is when starting out.
Namely getting these electronic armies to do what you actually intended:
"Look. LOOK! You have 40,000 men, they have 200 cavalry trying to blow up your railroad. What do you mean you're *inactive*??!"
Figuring out what to build and where, and so on and so forth....
In short, I'm still getting my ass handed to me, but now I at least know where it was heading in the first place.

So, if other noobs are reading this:
Yes, there's a steep learning curve.
Strike that, there's a learning cliff.
But if you're as smart as me (that is, able to read and write), every time you play, even if only for a few turns, a small glimmer of understanding will unveil itself.

CheerfullyInsane
"If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you."

Jim-NC

Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:55 am

Welcome to the forums.

There is a wealth of information on them. I would recommend the AARs as a starting point. Most of them have pictures of the moves/locations in them. As for the map, you will get better at where things are after playing for a while. When ready, try the PBEM. It can be a mind changing experience. A human is very different from Athena (the AI).
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hobbes

Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:24 am

I rember an old thread where I said I studied various maps in the bath!

http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?t=8701&highlight=bath

http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?t=4197&highlight=maps

Cheers, Chris

CheerfullyInsane
Private

Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:37 pm

Figured I hadn't been the only one. :)
The idea of coloring the navigable rivers is being implemented as we speak.

As to the AARs, they obviously do help.
But the main problem is that they're usually written by seasoned veterans.
And as such, they take a lot for granted. Or in other words, they explain *what* they do, but not *why* they're doing it.
It's all very well to read that someone is e.g. attacking the rail network in Kentucky to delay an invasion, but if you, like me, only have a vague idea of where on gods green earth Kentucky actually *is*, and what objectives lies behind it, it confuses more than it clarifies.

I'm not critizising anyone. I'm fully aware that writing an AAR by itself is time-consuming, and that writing an AAR which included strategic and tactical advice and explanations would be above and beyond the call of duty for most mere mortals.
But when I was first learning NCP, I stumbled over a "tutorial AAR", (can't remember the thread at present) covering the Austerlitz scenario in incredible detail. Now that was one hell of an eye-opener!
Having played IGO/UGO wargames for the past 25 years, starting out with AH boargames, this WEGO system takes a little getting used to, so having someone spoonfeed you ideas from time to time is a blessing.

Ah well, there's a silver lining to everything.
Trying to learn this game means I now have a legitimate reason to watch Ken Burns' Civil War series again. :thumbsup:

CheerfullyInsane
"When in doubt, empty the magazine"

Hobbes

Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:33 pm

CheerfullyInsane wrote:Figured I hadn't been the only one. :)
The idea of coloring the navigable rivers is being implemented as we speak.

As to the AARs, they obviously do help.
But the main problem is that they're usually written by seasoned veterans.
And as such, they take a lot for granted. Or in other words, they explain *what* they do, but not *why* they're doing it.
It's all very well to read that someone is e.g. attacking the rail network in Kentucky to delay an invasion, but if you, like me, only have a vague idea of where on gods green earth Kentucky actually *is*, and what objectives lies behind it, it confuses more than it clarifies.

I'm not critizising anyone. I'm fully aware that writing an AAR by itself is time-consuming, and that writing an AAR which included strategic and tactical advice and explanations would be above and beyond the call of duty for most mere mortals.
But when I was first learning NCP, I stumbled over a "tutorial AAR", (can't remember the thread at present) covering the Austerlitz scenario in incredible detail. Now that was one hell of an eye-opener!
Having played IGO/UGO wargames for the past 25 years, starting out with AH boargames, this WEGO system takes a little getting used to, so having someone spoonfeed you ideas from time to time is a blessing.

Ah well, there's a silver lining to everything.
Trying to learn this game means I now have a legitimate reason to watch Ken Burns' Civil War series again. :thumbsup:

CheerfullyInsane
"When in doubt, empty the magazine"

It can be frustrating when you start. Many players are happy to just play and get the hang of it as they go along. I made the Quick Reference Guide for myself as I feel I need to know everything I can before I can really get going.
I think you are pretty much like me!

After a month or two it all falls into place and you just get a feel for the game - and things like the guide go out of the window. You don't need something like that any more apart from checking the odd thing.

It's a really good game, I hope you get a lot of enjoyment out of it.
Cheers, Chris

Pocus

Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:45 pm

More generally speaking it is always good to see players discover AACW 3 years after it has been out. The Lady has still quite some appeal I believe :)

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Razz
Conscript

Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:55 am

Ha ha...now you know what its like for us Americans to play EU games.

There so much history over in Europe with province changing names along with cities its mind boggling to figure things out.

It's too bad they don't teach more European history in school.

And I already knew Europe well but now I need to know the past wow!

this may help

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Map_of_CSA_4.png

CheerfullyInsane
Private

Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:13 am

Pocus wrote:More generally speaking it is always good to see players discover AACW 3 years after it has been out. The Lady has still quite some appeal I believe :)

Elegant designs will always have appeal.
That, plus the constant improvements being implemented through patches makes this one a winner. Gotta love that replay-button when you're learning the game. :thumbsup:
(Still losing to the AI though, but having so much fun I don't care......Well, much)

Though I do have one complaint Pocus......
You do realize that after releasing RoP, I now have to read up on a hitherto to me unknown part of european history, right?
Introducing interesting subjects, making people read.....
What is the world coming to? :D

CheerfullyInsane

ImperatorMJ
Conscript

Sat May 15, 2010 7:59 pm

Huh. That's smart. I'm an American...without looking it up, is Bucharest in Romania?

Pat "Stonewall" Cleburne
General of the Army

Sun May 16, 2010 2:07 am

I was thinking Hungary. Or is that Budapest? The Balkans are mystifying to me...

GillinghamFC
Conscript

Sun May 16, 2010 11:59 am

I am a European (UK), and I learnt a lot of my geographical knowledge from SPI and GDW games. For a long time I knew more about the geography of Burma than I did about some places in Europe.

Bernadotte
Lieutenant

Mon May 17, 2010 8:09 am

ImperatorMJ wrote:Huh. That's smart. I'm an American...without looking it up, is Bucharest in Romania?

Pat "Stonewall" Cleburne wrote:I was thinking Hungary. Or is that Budapest? The Balkans are mystifying to me...
As an European who had to learn this at school, remember it like this:
BuchaRest (with R) is the capital of Rumania
Budapest (without R) is the capital of Hungary

Easy, right ? :D

Sarkus
Corporal

Wed May 19, 2010 10:23 am

Maps are fun and funny at the same time. Despite reading about the ACW for years, studying maps, and playing games based on the subject, it was only recently that I realized that Birmingham, Alabama, which is the biggest city in the state today, didn't exist in CW times. And only a few years ago that Atlanta wasn't the capitol city of Georgia back then.

As I pride myself on being more observant then the average person, those discoveries were quite a blow. :bonk:

tagwyn
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed May 19, 2010 7:15 pm

Yeah?! Where are Hungary and Roumania? Duh!! t

enf91
AGEod Veteran

Thu May 20, 2010 1:54 am

Bernadotte wrote:As an European who had to learn this at school, remember it like this:
BuchaRest (with R) is the capital of Rumania
Budapest (without R) is the capital of Hungary

Easy, right ? :D

Any mnemonic devices for remembering the difference between Sofia, Sarajevo, and Belgrade?
Sofia - Bosnia (I think), Bulgaria (from Wikipedia)
Sarajevo - Serbia (I think), Bosnia (from Wikipedia)
Belgrade - no clue, Serbia (from Wikipedia)

Archduke Franz Ferdinand got shot in Sarajevo... which I keep thinking is part of Serbia...

Jim-NC

Thu May 20, 2010 2:25 am

enf91 wrote:Any mnemonic devices for remembering the difference between Sofia, Sarajevo, and Belgrade?
Sofia - Bosnia (I think), Bulgaria (from Wikipedia)
Sarajevo - Serbia (I think), Bosnia (from Wikipedia)
Belgrade - no clue, Serbia (from Wikipedia)

Archduke Franz Ferdinand got shot in Sarajevo... which I keep thinking is part of Serbia...

That's what some of the Serbs thought as well.
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jarkko
Colonel

Thu May 20, 2010 5:17 am

http://www.a-acw.com/images/AACWMap.jpg

I used that map to get an A2 size print. Took the file on a USB memory stick, went to the local print-shop, asked them to print it and then laminate the map. Did cost 7 euros in all (to get it printed and laminated) back in 2008. I had it hanging on the wall next to my computer when playing AACW, was very helpful when planning strategies (even though the map wasn't exactly the same as was in the game then, not sure if the file has been updated since then to take into account the fixes to the game-map).
There are three kinds of people: Those who can can count and those who can't.

Gray_Lensman

Thu May 20, 2010 6:18 am

deleted

Jarkko
Colonel

Thu May 20, 2010 6:43 am

Thanks Gray, those files will be nice to have if one wants to print out the map :) If/when I get hooked on AACW again, I'll sure print the new version of the map, the cost to get a good looking laminated map is pretty much peanuts after all, and the printed map is (at least to me) of great value when planning strategies.

Would be nice if the official map (at least I believe the stuff at http://www.a-acw.com is official AGEOD material, right?) would be updated with the current map too :)

Gray_Lensman

Thu May 20, 2010 7:14 am

deleted

Jarkko
Colonel

Thu May 20, 2010 7:36 am

Gray_Lensman wrote:If the map you posted came from there

Ummm... I posted no map, I just gave the official link to the game-map :) I know it is not updated with the changes, which is why I said it would be nice if the updated map would be made available officially too :)

Gray_Lensman

Thu May 20, 2010 7:46 am

deleted

Pocus

Thu May 20, 2010 9:12 am

Nobody has been contracted to maintain these sites, sorry.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Jarkko
Colonel

Thu May 20, 2010 9:29 am

Pocus wrote:Nobody has been contracted to maintain these sites, sorry.

Which means they are not (anymore?) official sites?

Could it be possible to get a link to the Gray's map files from the AACW wiki then? This assuming the link isn't there already, at least I was unable to find a link to the map from there.

Return to “AACW Strategy discussions”