kwhitehead
Sergeant

Supply Distribution Limits

Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:42 am

I have observed armies with wagon being unsupplied even though they have both river and rail lines linking them to their supply sources. The specific situation are large armies in central Tennessee linked through Nashville and the Tennessee River with plenty of depots along the way.

What I am suspecting is happening is that the three supply iterations can't access supply outside of a 15 region radius of these forces and that whatever this number of friendly regions are they don't produce enough supply to feed these armies.

My question is "Is this logic correct?" or is there another possible cause?

The affect I see is like there is a bottleneck limiting the total amount of General Supply moving to the armies so only some of their wagons can refill but not all. What I have seen on supply distribution doesn't say there are limits to how much supply can be moved but the 3x5 region range would imply it can't be drawn from the whole country just part of it.

Gray_Lensman

Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:53 am

deleted

WhoCares
Lieutenant

Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:38 am

You might check your transport capacities as well, in your case rail and riverine in particular. If you have not invested in those or are shipping/railing large armies around this will reduce your transport capacities in the supply phase.

Pocus

Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:36 pm

What is sure is that a given supply point won't travel more than 15 regions per turn, whatever the (cheap) travel costs it spent. But the next turn, it will be able to move again, so if you really have such huge stockpiles in the backyard of your nation and have depots everywhere, eventually you should see supply flow. Remember that this is a distribution mechanism, and that nothing is perfectly optimized: you must have ample excesses to be able to cover all needs. Being a bit tight on supply (say you need 900 per turn and you produce 1000) is not enough to be in 'overflowing' state... Even now with very advanced logistical systems, our armies are still unable to manage a regular and ample flow of supply if stocks are just above the daily requirements.

There is no limit on how many supply points can transit through a depot or region. But there is a constraint: a location will demand a certain amount of supply so to be well furnished, but this amount requested will not rise even if the surrounding sources are really overflowing... So in the end you can still have a kind of bottleneck. In this case, you have to manually shuttle back and forth supply wagons to your armies to complement the automated algorithm.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Gray_Lensman

Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:36 pm

deleted

CarnageINC
Sergeant

Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:27 pm

I have a question on the 3 supply phases. On all three phases, do supplies go the same distance of 15 or do they push further out each phase, if you have the capacity, building up to the maximum of 15.

Just wondering, the 1/3, 2/3, 3/3 lead me to ask this question.

soloswolf
General of the Army

Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:38 pm

They will go 5 per phase if you have the transport.
My name is Aaron.

Knight of New Hampshire

Return to “AACW Strategy discussions”