Colonel Dreux
Major

USA Prepares To Invade Kentucky, What Should the South Do?

Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:12 pm

In the Ky-alternative, what should the South do to encourage Kentucky to secede after the US prepares to invade Kentucky?

The game actually gave me militia in Bowling Green after the US invaded, but I couldn't remove them so that Kentucky wouldn't feel offended (perhaps the time had passed for them to secede?). The U.S. then took Columbia and Bowling Green while I sat on my hands to not offend Kentucky's political decision making.

Thoughts?
Oh my God, lay me down!

Brochgale
Brigadier General

Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:39 pm

As CSA I have always waited till Billy Yank invades then I counter atack if I have the force to do so - I think Bowling Green is pretty Strategic for CSA to possess. I would rather make Kentucky the front line blood bath than Tennessee thats for sure against AI or another player. It is up to you though how you want to play the game - I just like to make a fight of it in Kentucky - something the CSA did not really do in the actual conflict.

Also note those juicy points for Bowling Green and Liousville? I reckon it is worth making a fight of it just for those?
"How noble is one, to love his country:how sad the fate to mingle with those you hate"
W.A.Fletcher "Memoirs Of A Confederate Soldier"

Colonel Dreux
Major

Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:44 pm

Brochgale wrote:As CSA I have always waited till Billy Yank invades then I counter atack if I have the force to do so - I think Bowling Green is pretty Strategic for CSA to possess. I would rather make Kentucky the front line blood bath than Tennessee thats for sure against AI or another player. It is up to you though how you want to play the game - I just like to make a fight of it in Kentucky - something the CSA did not really do in the actual conflict.

Also note those juicy points for Bowling Green and Liousville? I reckon it is worth making a fight of it just for those?

I agree, but my issue is with Kentucky seceding. Do you get into Kentucky as soon as you are allowed to, or do you hold back hoping they secede?

I figured the US invading them would make them secede, but they didn't.
Oh my God, lay me down!

Brochgale
Brigadier General

Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:59 pm

Colonel Dreux wrote:I agree, but my issue is with Kentucky seceding. Do you get into Kentucky as soon as you are allowed to, or do you hold back hoping they secede?

I figured the US invading them would make them secede, but they didn't.

I have never yet played a game where Kentucky did not secede after Yank invasion. AI does not go after Kentucky quite as strogly as a human player would perhaps? Agaisnt AI CSA does have a little more time to build up the Army of the Tennessee - but playing against my 2 nephews they never let me have that luxury they go for the jugular there fairly quickly - So Kentucky always secedes but then I dont get all that much benefit from that as I to tend to lose the whole state fast then - the upside it does force them to post Brigades in the captured cities and thus slow down any advance into Tennessee?
"How noble is one, to love his country:how sad the fate to mingle with those you hate"

Colonel Dreux
Major

Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:02 am

Brochgale wrote:I have never yet played a game where Kentucky did not secede after Yank invasion. AI does not go after Kentucky quite as strogly as a human player would perhaps? Agaisnt AI CSA does have a little more time to build up the Army of the Tennessee - but playing against my 2 nephews they never let me have that luxury they go for the jugular there fairly quickly - So Kentucky always secedes but then I dont get all that much benefit from that as I to tend to lose the whole state fast then - the upside it does force them to post Brigades in the captured cities and thus slow down any advance into Tennessee?

I guess you have to give up hope of Kentucky seceding and just prepare to move on Bowling Green and Columbia as soon as you can. The first game I played the Union came hard and fast (larger armies than in 1.13 made their way through Kentucky).
Oh my God, lay me down!

Gray_Lensman

Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:03 am

deleted

Colonel Dreux
Major

Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:13 am

Gray_Lensman wrote:Once the USA/CSA has bought the invasion option "chit", they have basically pre-empted any move from the other side the following turn. I gave the other side the announcement that the "preparation" was underway so that you might at least forward troops closer to the border to move into Kentucky AFTER the other side has had the pre-emptive move.

Incidentally, a pre-emptive move by either side results in Kentucky going with the opposite side and more available KY reinforcements/replacements for that opposite side.

I got the additional KY troops, but I don't recall KY seceding to the CSA. I might be wrong and just missed it, but the whole state had US flags over it, but for Bowling Green and Clarksburg initially.
Oh my God, lay me down!

Brochgale
Brigadier General

Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:33 am

Colonel Dreux wrote:I got the additional KY troops, but I don't recall KY seceding to the CSA. I might be wrong and just missed it, but the whole state had US flags over it, but for Bowling Green and Clarksburg initially.

You probably just missed it - easily enough done! Best to double check the event logs even if that can be slow tedious process.

Gray_Lensman

Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:47 am

deleted

Colonel Dreux
Major

Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:10 am

Gray_Lensman wrote:
Try playing the -KY scenarios yourself and you will see that absolutely NONE of the original Kentucky events are used in those scenarios. Kentucky neutrality was redesigned from the ground up. The -KY scenarios do not even use the original Kentucky Events.sct file for the events, but instead use the replacement Kentucky Entry.sct file. The reason that the older events are still in the game is that they are used with the original NON -KY 1861 Campaign scenarios.

I understand that, but the US invaded and KY didn't secede from what I could tell. If I'm not mistaken it is kind of a crap shoot on whether or not they do secede?

That is what my original question was about though, i.e., what do you do if the US get the "prepare to invade KY" and you want to wait to see if KY secedes? I built up forces in Chattanooga, Corinth, and Memphis... so I was prepared to respond, but wasn't sure how long to wait to see if they seceded. Secession by KY can only happen by a certain time right?
Oh my God, lay me down!

Gray_Lensman

Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:22 am

deleted

Gray_Lensman

Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:13 am

deleted

Colonel Dreux
Major

Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:35 am

Gray_Lensman wrote:Clarification:

I was incorrect earlier. (It's been a while since I delved into the absolute specifics).

Kentucky does not secede if the USA invades, nor does it join the USA if the CSA invades, instead it's a politically split state, with somewhat of an invaded neutral status. Available reinforcements and replacement factors are quite a bit skewed in favor of the Non-Invading side. There are random events that can cause Kentucky to secede IF no invasion is announced by either side. If none of these random events fire, Kentucky defaults to joining the Union. I hope this is a little more clear.

see: http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?t=12372

It's quite extensive in explaining how these new Kentucky events work, including screen displays of all the appropriate messages, so I'm not going into all that detail here again.

I had look through that and thought I understood how things worked. Interesting to see it come to life in the game though. Now I know to hold back and move forward as quickly as possible if they invade. Good stuff.
Oh my God, lay me down!

Gray_Lensman

Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:46 pm

deleted

Brochgale
Brigadier General

Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:33 pm

Lensman!

I did not read his post correctly which might have caused him some confusion. I was thinking about the full campaigns in my own head. Haste as they say makes for waste!

Gray_Lensman

Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:04 pm

deleted

Return to “AACW Strategy discussions”