SkyWestNM
Sergeant

Intellitips

Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:03 pm

One thing I've been finding that I sometimes forget to do since its not obviously required to play each turn is to take time to peruse and analyze available intelligence that the game and its reports provide. There is a wealth of information that can sometimes help making tactical decisions easier for a player that I gloss over in my haste to view the combat reports and get to the juicy stuff. I just forget to take the time to use them. And this game is "soooo" about savoring the nuances and taking the time to both understand, analyze and enjoy the clues provided. Yum! :coeurs:

Injun had asked me to do so over on his thread about estimating strengths. So I wanted to create a thread that can take a deeper look at intelligence and how one might use it. Feel free to add your own uses or add to/correct my misunderstandings. Ready? :thumbsup:
Cool.
Here I go.......(fumblin around).

Intellitip #1: Be aware of your opponents command structure.

Command structure is very important because it provides or denies the passing down of command bonuses from Army to Corps and Corps to Division which not only help in the upcoming fights themselves but also helps determine all important artillery frontages in clear and woods terrain. My thanks to Major Tom for his exhaustive research in this frontage field. ;)

General Joe Johnston, in my PBEM example, was called upon by General Lee in late 1863 to effectively deal with a Yankee multi division incurison into sacred South Carolina's Charleston. Charleston had already fallen and Johnston was certain he could take it back for General Lee. :confused:

Borrowing Forrest's corps from Lee's Army of Northern Virginia, Albert Johnson's Army of the Deep South and various militia contingents in Georgia, Alabama and Louisiana, Johnston successfully put together an ad hoc force that is successfully forcing the Yankee back into the harbor. To do this it is effective to first gauge up the enemy force and its dispositions.

Context:
Anticipating a rapidly expanding beachhead, General Holmes has come up from Savannah to defend the Combahee River crossings. Facing him is an undetermined Union force lead by Federal General Clarke. Let's take a deeper look.

[ATTACH]6945[/ATTACH]

General Clarke's command seems to be headed Holmes way towards Savannah. Crittendon, a corps commander, is to his north in Branchville, SC. Howard, the Invasion commander is in Charleston. So exactly what is Clarke?

Well, he's NOT a corps. He’s only a brigadier and as lead commander is the senior leader present. The circled in red "Command" would have been stating "Corps" if he had been one. There are no other commanders listed below him, so he’s THE MAN. He has another general with him, Hanson, so appearances are that he’s an independent division with an extra chief of staff for no command point losses. Cool.

And no marching to the sound of the guns reinforcements for Clarke. Good.
Extra Yankees can screw things up.

And no additional supervision from a corps commander resulting in General Clarke's keeping his own stats. He will fight simply with his own stats, which for most of the Union brigadiers is a poor 3-1-1. I keep an intelligence spreadsheet on generals as the game unfolds which can help me assess in later turns my opposing generals. Sometimes all I have to work with is my memory of who an icon picture is. I get Butler and Burnside confused. What fun I’m havin!

We don't know what Clarke's strength is. But we do know that Clarke has a division structure. How? The other red circle shows Ross Brigade as a lead divisional component in parenthesis.

This is where Solo in the other thread said he likes to load a division first with his elite infantry to scare off potential attackers since the first loaded unit is shown as the lead divisional component and advertised. Cool using intelligence against an opponent.

When parenthesis show a sub unit, it is under command. And usually, if its not a cavalry unit, it is 95% of the time, a division. A lkeader with just his rank has no command. So now we’re pretty sure Clarke is leading a division with no Corps supervision. Great. That’s comforting to know the size and structure of the opposing force. (note for Injun: divison =~about 6,500 men)

We know a division can have a usual max of 18 elements without signal or balloon auxillaries. None of those are present. We see nothing else but a supply wagon train. Worst case for CSA: this is a division, on the march, non-rail, in a marsh, with supply. It may be tired since its marching in the marsh, but we have no strength numbers to confirm that.

Now divisions usually are configured with 2-8 artillery elements. I use 5 in my estimate usually. Additional artillery is usually listed when its outside a division. But, best case in the marsh, is that only four can fire (see Major Tom's discourse on frontages and terrain for that conclusion).

So Clarke is a simple division marching in the marsh with a maximum of 18 elements.

In a marsh, a maximum of 10 infantry elements and 4 support elements can both defend and attack.
That means if Holmes can catch Clarke in a fight they both will have the same size force. But wait….our intelligence and our knowledge combine to tell us more………

1. In a fight, units cycle in and out of the fight every hour. A supply wagon counts as a support (artillery) unit. Hence one of Clarke’s available artillery elements to fight will probably be a supply wagon which would reduce his available artillery support from four to three elements.

2. Holmes has an all sharpshooter force, thus giving him a good chance for first fire. Some commanders (certainly not Holmes) develop initiative advantages over the war that GIVE them tactical initiative (initiative listed on their general data card at over 10 when becoming experienced). The CSA is rife with them by this timeframe, late 1863. Now if I can keep a (larger than Clarke) proposed attack of Clarke going for several hours (all out attack ought to do it), and I have the initiative, I’ll have first offensive fire, possibly longer ranger fire and Clarke (because of his elements has limited reserves to cycle in. I can have plenty more. Tactical superiority. That means his units in a prolonged battle may potentially die while mine will take just casualties and probably much less than him if I structure my attack group well with plenty of longer ranged artillery. A 2-1 advantage in divsions and artillery should be enough. A 3-1 advantage would be a killer. Hey marsh ain’t so scary after all when you know the intelligence.

3. I know that when Forrest hits from the north (you can see his path orders, but not him, moving into Charleston), he should sweep his opposition from his path and the USA will be scurrying for the ports soon and an exit to the boats. Looking ahead to future turns maybe the ports should be my target. Isolated Yankees inland without supply are eash pickens. Aside: unsupplied Yankees don’t receive succor from Southern Belles do they, Aphrodite Mae ? This is getting juicier all the time for old Marsh Robert, huh?

4. If Holmes can load up on longer range artillery (20lbers, 10lbers or Columbiads, if present) I can start with first fire, at a longer range and maybe get two unanswered volleys in before receiving return fire. A round of two. Who needs a good dice roll. Cool. And Clarke could get stuck in the mud getting out. Clarke could get stuck having to fight.

Oh I’m glad my name’s not Clarke today.

So there you have the possiblities and opportunites tactical intelligence can deliver to us. When I don’t have all the answers I assume the worst ones…..e.g. in this case, that Clarke is rested and at full strength. Had intelligence provided a Clarke strength below 400 I would know that Clarke is damaged or fatigued, either of which is my favor. But I don’t know that right now so I assume full strength and rested.

And later, the rest of the story. Interested in the outcome, anyone?
Attachments
Clarke.jpg

Injun
Lieutenant

This here the Intell Class? West Point 1859

Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:11 am

Sir Cadet Injun reporting for class! ( Chose West Pont in 59 can't have a Confederate Gentleman helpeing his enemies from up north. )

Col. SkyWest,

The example:

But we do know that Clarke has a division structure. How? The other red circle shows Ross Brigade as a lead divisional component in parenthesis.

What would indicate a division attached to corp? Operating indepent from the corp? Not in the same stack?

I will keep that 6500 in mind.

What is this?
1. In a fight, units cycle in and out of the fight every hour. A supply wagon counts as a support (artillery) unit. Hence one of Clarke’s available artillery elements to fight will probably be a supply wagon which would reduce his available artillery support from four to three elements

One supply wagon train of 4 units count as 4 support units for battle? I only thought artillery played a roll in support.

What I forgot to sign up for another class! Frontages!
Injun aka Mud Marine
Aim low Boys and givem the baynet!
Steady Boys! Steady! Aim ,Fire! , Charge!

Injun
Lieutenant

Correction

Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:16 am

Would not this high- hide value of 3, and detection value of 4 indicate, the presence of cavalry? Infantry is a bit lower in these values.
Injun aka Mud Marine

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:14 pm

Injun wrote:Would not this high- hide value of 3, and detection value of 4 indicate, the presence of cavalry? Infantry is a bit lower in these values.

GREAT observation. It's obvious he has a considerable amount of cavalry attached to his command to screen him. I was waiting to see if someone would notice that. An attack might seem even more tempting with that knowledge....as cavalry tends to shy-away in the face of a strong infantry assault.

However I would caution that frontage rules will apply to SkyWest's troops as well...and marsh is certainly no friend to the attacker.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Have you ever stopped to think and forgot to start??

Major Tom
Lieutenant Colonel

Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:46 pm

Excellent post, Skywest. I learned a few things.
Sic Semper Tyrannis

SkyWestNM
Sergeant

Hats off back to Major Tom

Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:02 am

First of all, I didn't know how to post links yesterday but thanks to DIxiecrat I'm learning. And it looks like I still can't edit my original post. So, here is the the link to Major Tom's outstanding piece on frontages. Until I read this, frontages was just a bizarre word I heard used to explain "under the hood" coding methodologies. Now, to me, it means achieving "local combat superiority". It's a whole nother world and truly it shows how leadership and terrain can change your tactics. Thanks again Major Tom. It's a must read.

http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?t=13016

SkyWestNM
Sergeant

Lt Injun, Sir.

Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:18 am

Sir. You may be in my class, but you are my superior officer. :cool:
Your rank shows both in your knowledge as well as your postings rank. I bow to your knowledge. Indeed, the hide value indicates the presence of cavalry. And as Banks indicates, cavalry doesn't fare well in a standup fight with line infantry. So there's even more reason to attack. I have now learned from both you and Banks. There's even more intell listed in the tooltips than I thought. Both are you are to be commended for teaching me back. Thank you both.

And yes, to be in a corps you need to be in the same stack with its commander. But I'm thinkin you already knew that and you're puttin me on. Right, sir? ;)

Banks, your catch was suberb and beyond my present intell gathering. So let's make that intellitip #2.

#2. Your enemy's cavalry presence can be detected in its hide value.

Shore, 'nuff. You take over from here on this one, Banks, and add in your intell scoop, k?

I'll pick up at three. AND provide the (not so) thrilling outcome to General Clarke's dilemmna, General Holmes opportunity and the "rest of" the Charleston Invasion.

Injun
Lieutenant

Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:32 am

SkyWestNM,
And yes, to be in a corps you need to be in the same stack with its commander. But I'm thinkin you already knew that and you're puttin me on. Right, sir?

Just was not sure still green arround the gills.
Injun aka Mud Marine

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:59 am

I suppose what I might add on Tip #2...perhaps a Tip #2a...

If you notice the enemy stack's Detection value....then compare that to your own stack's hide value...you can tell how much intel your opponent is able to gather about you.

cmurphy625
Private

Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:34 am

Excellent post.. thanks for writing it!!! Boy you learn a lot in this forum.. but then with this game there is a lot to learn!

Jarkko
Colonel

Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:56 am

Clarke's force in the above screenshot is what I would use as a forward recon force. It apparently has a strong cavalry component, thus with it Union knows what CSA is doing. What is more, it is sitting in marsh, is supplied, most likely has 3 artillery pieces, would preferably have sharpshooters and marines (to give it pontoons), and preferably six regular infantry regiments (thus neatly filling the 8 "slots" at front in marsh with crack troops). Thus you are looking at a very tough force to be bumped out from that position, if they decide to defend there, *especially* considering CSA would have to wade to marsh in November; attacking CSA cohesion would be less than stellar before the combat begins... It is not exactly a trap, but it sure is a very annoying force, because it sees all and would take quite an effort to push out, and if one fails to push it out their cavalry pursuit would be nasty.
There are three kinds of people: Those who can can count and those who can't.

SkyWestNM
Sergeant

Intellitips 2a

Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:55 pm

Excellent, Banks. Thanks. Well put, too.

Intellitip 2a. If you notice the enemy stack's Detection value....then compare that to your own stack's hide value...you can tell how much intel your opponent is able to gather about you.

And thanks Cmurphy. BTW, for an irreplaceable school of learning check out Banks-Soundoff's AAR. I learned alot out there and much work and care has gone into both their efforts to teach us. :thumbsup:

http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?t=13256

SkyWestNM
Sergeant

Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:12 pm

Jarkko wrote:Clarke's force in the above screenshot is what I would use as a forward recon force. It apparently has a strong cavalry component, thus with it Union knows what CSA is doing. What is more, it is sitting in marsh, is supplied, most likely has 3 artillery pieces, would preferably have sharpshooters and marines (to give it pontoons), and preferably six regular infantry regiments (thus neatly filling the 8 "slots" at front in marsh with crack troops). Thus you are looking at a very tough force to be bumped out from that position, if they decide to defend there, *especially* considering CSA would have to wade to marsh in November; attacking CSA cohesion would be less than stellar before the combat begins... It is not exactly a trap, but it sure is a very annoying force, because it sees all and would take quite an effort to push out, and if one fails to push it out their cavalry pursuit would be nasty.

Thanks, Jarkko, for a wonderful addition in piecing together both ways to task organize a potential force for missions and what intelligence can tell us about the composition of an enemy stack as well as its potentials. I had failed to appreciate the possibilities about cavalry following up an unsuccessful attack which the game nicely adds (one may have seen the message "cavalry destroys xx in pursuit"). This truly is a community that helps one another learn.

Fortunately, for Holmes reputation and veneration, he refuses to accept Johnston's orders to attack (inactivates). And Clarke races to Beaufort, SC where a waiting fleet under Farragut swoops him off to safety.

So while Holmes sits tight, Crittendon, to the north, having been beaten up and terribly exposed, also sees the opening and races to the same location at Beaufort. Let's take a look a him for our next intellitip.

[ATTACH]6989[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Crittendon 12-63.jpg

SkyWestNM
Sergeant

Intellitips #3

Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:13 pm

3. Use command points information when provided.

Why, shazam! Crittendon isn't a Corps commander at all, tho he could be. He is a two star and two stars can be Corps commanders. But, as we learned in intellitip number one to look for the command structure, Crittendon is simply a two star in command. No "Corps" structure is being reported, simply "command". See the red box.

[ATTACH]6994[/ATTACH]

And yum, there's more!

[ATTACH]6993[/ATTACH]

As we learned in intellitip #one, both Tyler and Runyon have parenthesised subunits indicating their divisional commands (NJ Militia Bde and
1/1st Bde). So four command points each for divisions and one command point each for artillery units yields ten points, exactly what is listed in the tootip. Now there is at least safety in know what our potential attack will face in this stack: two divisions and two artillery batteries.

Crittendon has four generals, himself, Gibbon, Runyon and Tyler. Since Crittendon is NOT a Corps Commander he only contributes 2 comannd points to the stack. The other three brigadiers contribute 2 each as well for a total of 8 command points (yellow box). But this stack needs 10 command points: 4 points for each of two divisions (now Tyler and Runyon are confirmed as division commanders) and one point each for the two artillery units, 27th Arty and 3rd PA.

This results in the ten percent penalty to firepower listed in the tooltip. Thus Crittendon and three brigadiers grant 8 command points but we need 10 points to command without a penalty. Now for each point OVER the limit of 8, a 5% penalty firepower penalty applies. In this care 2 points over means a 10% penalty. Exactly what is reported in the tooltip.

Watching command points, when they are provided, can tell us not only size confirmation but also potential weakness, in this case, a firepower penalty.
If Crittendon has been a Corps commander,this penalty could have been avoided. Crittendon would have given the stack 8 command points, his two division commanders 4 each and one extra brigadier two points to max out at 18, an easily "penalty free" configuration. But an Army commander would have had to been in range (3-5 regions away, depending on Army commander), and available (less than 5 current corps under command).

Knowing that this stack requires 10 command points, combined with knowing the composition (two divisions and two artillery units) confirms that if we choose to attack, two divisions and the two artillery units are all we'll face in this stack. At least in THIS stack.

And (yum) as we learned in intellitip #1, Tyler is at power 128 and Runyun is at power 81, both understrength or tired. With 400 power indicating a minimum full strength divisions these two are way understrength or tired. They should be. I been chasin them around and they came from an unsuccessful invasion at Mobile. THIS is a ripe target even in the swamp they are in.

Adding in what Injun, Banks and Jarkko have taught us is we remain cognizant that this stack has a detection value of four meaning inherent cavalry is prolly present.

But we still aren't at the decision point yet as we'll learn in intellitip #4.
There's still more danger we need to be watching for. And it's clue is starin us in the face. Anyone see it?

You still with me, Lt Injun, sir?
Attachments
Crittendon Command 12-63.jpg
Crittendon 12-63 CP.jpg

biggp07
Corporal

Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:34 pm

Is it that we have an "also here" unit, i.e. BG Oliver Howard?

Jim-NC

Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:41 pm

The unknown is the unit in the city (the yellow flag show 1). The tip says it's Howard, but is he a corps, or can he be added to the stack to remove the penalty?
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:35 pm

If Howard had any troops with him...and I may be mistaken about this...but I think it would show him in the tool tip as "Also Here: Howard's Command". and then show how many units he has and his power rating.

I'd say the only other thing would be measuring Crittenden's ability to escape. There's obviously a navy present so attacking might simply be fruitless. I see this screenie and together with the intel...I see a stack that is tired, far understrength and ready to be transported elsewhere.

The next question for me would be....where to??

EDIT: Then there is the thought of what the naval stack consists of. If it's mostly transports...there is one of two possibilities...he's looking to escape...or he's looking to build a depot there. (Which I can't tell if a depot is already there.)

tagwyn
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:15 pm

Holmes was a idiot! Nick is NOT Marsh Robert!! t

Injun
Lieutenant

Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:35 pm

Col.SkyWest,
Oliver Howard, One unit. Officer of unknown quality possibly a support unit, Engineer? The little blue banner indicates a naval vessel of some type. Transport? or Warship? Transport no problem, but a large warship, that is another story. Beaufort sits on the coast and any attack may have to cross over water and become a naval target. There are indications that Crittendon is entrenched, little guy up near Ole' Glory. also add Gibbon 4 defence!

Entrenched level 1, and has ground advantage, Good defensive aide, most PA heavy artillery are siege mortors and has engineering support.
Injun aka Mud Marine

SkyWestNM
Sergeant

Intelltips #5 and 6

Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:41 am

Which brings us to:

Intellitip #5: Always check the “Also Here:” listing (at the bottom on the intelligence tooltip) and weigh it carefully before committing.

Those of you who guessed Howard are right on. In this case we have Howard, a single (leader) unit, with no power listing nor rank. That’s scary. The problem is that there is no rank next to Howard’s name and no power rating either. In my experience when they are listed, great. Then they are (plus or minus) in the ballpark estimates. But when no power ratings nor rank are listed you could be walking into a USA buzzsaw. My experience is limited but IIRC it has happened to me. No warning, just a name.

And again, this could be and more likely is a case of a single injured Yankee leader simply waiting to be captured and escorted from a sick bed to a Southern Hospital and prison camp for the duration of the war. Call me McClellan or late for dinner but combined with some Holmes casualties and cohesion needing some recovery as well as the thought of losing Savannah if I walk into a huge Union unit on this flank or if this unit waltzes past evading me right into Savannah while I tramp around in the swamp (not very likely with an evasion rating of one, I would agree), I opt to hold Holmes back. Or maybe Tagwyn is correct and I’m just afraid of my experience of Holmes’ idiocy. Dunno. At any rate I kiss, what I consider an excellent opportunity, goodbye and do not attack. It probably would work….but with Theophilus I am shaky.

Yes, some of you, like Injun, mentioned the small entrenchment here barely visible, prolly nothing to worry about but still, excellent awareness. I salute your vigilance. Several of you like Banks also noted the presence of naval vessels in the city. Good work! Like we surmised earlier, the Union commander is probably going to load up in a hurry and head to safety. But as Banks wonders, where? I like Banks’ always looking ahead attitude. That’s why he’s a leading player on the forums at this game publicly.

One side note. I have never captured troops loading on boats leaving YET. But I believe the possibility exists and I keep tryin. Navies have a delay factor of between 0 and 8 days when moving. So one of these days………….

And this brings us to Intellitip #6: Know who’s home: who’s in town, who’s in the fort and who’s not.

Look at General Wadsworth, up North. While I say goodbye to possiblities with Crittendon and Howard, I have more possibilities up here. Wadsworth and his chief of staff ,General Crawford, just advanced their division into the Fort Johnson region this turn. And for those of you looking at who I have selected all this time, I have a full strength Forrest in Saint Stephen chompin at the bit to be unleashed. Let’s take a closer look.

[ATTACH]7034[/ATTACH]

Well, Wadsworth appears to be a single division, strength 423, with some cavalry it seems (from his detect numbers). With no supply wagons nor corps structure to call others to his assistance. He’s all alone. He’s admittedly at semi-full strength at 423 but prolly a little tired because Fort Johnson is swamp and HE’s NOT IN THE FORT. He’s on the outside from the screenshot. Would the fort help him or hurt him? It’s debatable. A fort would allow us to siege him and prevent his retirement. A fort would make us tramp further and longer thru the swamp. A fort would prolly lengthen the time we would have to engage him, maybe multiple turns. A fort would limit how much attacking artillery we could bring to bear. A fort could, with any smaller force than Forrest, possibly keep us locked to the region if we lost large enough cohesion from a battle. But a swamp allows us more latitude to keep the attack going and to cycle our tactical superiority of infantry in and out over the battle hours, even as we are limited to 10 infantry elements and 4 support/artillery. Forrest is begging to be sent.

Before we send him however lets check the other opportunity in Fort Sumter, a brigadier, screening a very famous army. General Reno, of Little Big Horn fame to come.

[ATTACH]7035[/ATTACH]

Reno is outside the fort IN CLEAR TERRAIN with a bevy of about ten artillery units. That’s CLEAR TERRAIN, folks. In clear terrain, Forrest would get to bring almost his entire force to bear from hour one. How do I know that?

Seek ye Major Tom whose wonderful work I have referenced already.

http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?t=13016

You might as well read it. I'm gonna keep referrin to it. :D

Inside the fort however is another story. Having learned from intellitip #5, we are now diligently checking the “Also Here’s”. A small union contingent (#8), prolly the garrison and some captured coastal artillery, nothing major there. But also the Army of the Potomac, strength 824. And a naval force who could assist thru bombardment. An army has a three star and is almost guaranteed to march immediately outside the fort to Reno’s defense. And ugh, Forrest would have to attack cross a major river to get there, the Charles. Travel time is seven days. Forrest might run out of cohesion in Fort Sumter in a protracted fight over turns and not be able to extract himself against so worthy a force when run down. Danger. A fort with that much power pretty much guarantees some wait time to eliminate. And heavy casualties. I figure this is the historical Army of the Potomac and that’s prolly Burnside. Burnside is no slouch at 3-2-3 or thereabouts.
No. While the rewards are very high so are the risks. The South is not in a position to risk Forrest at this point. I am not ready to roll the dice when Wadsworth looks so delicious. And tempting. Forrest remains targeted at Wadsworth. Forrest is guaranteed local tactical superiority with Wadsworth and while he can’t immediately bring his force to bear he will have overwhelming weight to cycle in and out of battle. Forrest also has some of the best artillery the CSA has, the Columbiad, at Corps level. And Corps level artillery fires at the biggest targets first. If we can break the big Wadsworth infantry first, the rest will prolly collapse. We may even get some guns. Yum. CSA likes Union guns.

Burnside will then have to choose fight or flight by himself in future turns or reinforcement.

And here is the outcome.

[ATTACH]7032[/ATTACH]

And this

[ATTACH]7033[/ATTACH]

This is the irrestible combination of putting together knowledge, intelligence and risk/reward analysis. This is how reliance on luck is minimized. This is how Southern forces achieve local superiority. This is how SkyWestNM gets all puffed up with himself---calm down Sky).

Wadsworth ends up wounded down in a bed next to our old friend Howard in Beaufort. Yum.
Notice Wadsworth’s chief of staff, Crawford, dies in the battle. The initial dice rolls were CSA 54, USA 53. The attack chosen was all out which admittedly did cause higher CSA casualties but no CSA elements were lost and the USA force was totally destroyed in two days. And now Hood and Early are beggin to get promoted. Think I will. They deserve it. Requests go to General Lee and President Davis.

We've covered a lot of ground, gang. So let's stop a spell and digest. Any questions, flaws to point out or comments to share?

And while there's more let;s stop and allow others to share.
You’re up.
Attachments
Reno 12-63.jpg
Wadsworth.jpg
End of Wadsworth II.jpg
End of Wadsworth I.jpg

tc237
Colonel

Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:25 pm

At the top of the Jesse L. Reno Tooltip, is the line:

O. Howard's Command (Ft Sumter,SC)
Led by General Jesse L. Reno

Could this be another clue that the line: "Also here: Oliver Howard (1 Unit)"
at the bottom of the Crittenden Tooltip truely does denote that Oliver Howard is injured or at least alone?

Injun
Lieutenant

Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:10 pm

Col. Skywest,
Ya missed intelltip #4! Ya jumped from #3 ta #5!
Injun aka Mud Marine

Jarkko
Colonel

Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:23 pm

SkyWestNM wrote:Reno is outside the fort IN CLEAR TERRAIN with a bevy of about ten artillery units. That’s CLEAR TERRAIN, folks. In clear terrain, Forrest would get to bring almost his entire force to bear from hour one.

I don't believe you were factoring in the weather in December :) I'd personally never presume terrain to stay clear during winter. At best I'd assume muddy weather, and thus have quite shorter frontage.
There are three kinds of people: Those who can can count and those who can't.

mikee64
Brigadier General

Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:08 pm

SkyWestNM wrote:Forrest also has some of the best artillery the CSA has, the Columbiad, at Corps level. And Corps level artillery fires at the biggest targets first.

Some nice info here SkyWest. I do have a question about your comment above, but I'm going to post it over in the artillery analysis thread.
Mike

Injun
Lieutenant

Intell Tips 7,8 and 9

Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:09 pm

Intell Tip 7,8 and 9 Deny your enemy resorces, Money ,Conscripts and WS

Example 1 Conscripts

Look at this city icon, notice the smal yellow underline small white tent.
You can or loss conscript points if you have this in your controlor have the enemies you deny him that resource.

As the Union Player you get 39 conscript points per turn as a base. With the capture of Jefferson City MO. Union gains one conscript point.1861, 39x 18 turns = 702 conscript points for the year! add another 12 if the Union Player holds thistill the end of the year.The CSA has lost 1 per turn for 12 for 6 turns. The CSA only gets 29 per turn

Example 2 WS War Supplies
The same can be shown for WS centers.
122 for 9 months 18 turns= 2196 +1 for Louisville Ky, at least anadditional 17 for 2213.

Make a list of all the financial centers, example you have 5 in Texas 4 in one port, Galveston and one in Matagorda. Take these and CSA drops from 44 per year 39. You do not even have to take all of Texas, just 4, Dallas, Houston and the two ports Matagrda and Galvaston. You just knocked off 12% of CSA money and 7% of its conscripts it earns in a year.This also simplifies the Union strategy and also Confederate defenses.
Injun aka Mud Marine

Injun
Lieutenant

Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:05 pm

Basicly you can sum up tips 7-8-9

Know where your enemie's resources are located!
Example New Orleans is 1/3 of CSA's per turn money!
Richmond 1/4 to 1/3 of conscripts!

Know wonder CSA player use New Orleans and Richmond as a training centers!

Target Resources!
Injun aka Mud Marine

Jim-NC

Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:18 pm

Of course you target resources, it's the easiest way to shut your opponent down (just look at the Atlantic around Britain during WW1 and WW2). The WS is the most critical (you can always raise money and CS via taxes or drafts). There is no good way to quickly replace lost WS. :D
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SkyWestNM
Sergeant

Wow Injun!

Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:52 pm

Great post. I learned something from you, Injun. I hadn't known that the icons show the locations of conscript recruiting and war supplies. You are teaching us all. And that;s the purpose of this thread on intelligence. So thank you for adding to my and hopefully others knowledge. I know I have learned from you.

So yes, Injun, I also left out a number on the intellitips so let's make yours number four. And let's review before moving on:

Intellitips:

1. Be aware of your opponents command structure as it is provided in the tooltips. :p arty:

2. Your enemy's cavalry presence can be detected in its hide value. :dada:

2a. If you notice the enemy stack's Detection value....then compare that to your own stack's hide value...you can tell how much intel your opponent is able to gather about you. {Banks}

3. Use command points information when provided by the tooltips. :sherlock:

4. Observe the city icons to tell you what the enemy produces there.....and deny him them! {Injun] :p ompom:

5. Always check the “Also Here:” listing (at the bottom on the intelligence tooltip) and weigh it carefully before committing :nuts:

And lastly before we do move on let me ask Jarkko a question. When exactly in the turn does weather change? I had assumed it changed only at the end of a 14/15 day turn. But maybe not? Can it change in the middle of a turn?
:bonk:

And away we go........

SkyWestNM
Sergeant

Intellitip #6 Take the time to really read the BATTLE REPORTS

Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:18 am

There is a HUGE wealth of information in the Battle Reports as one carefully peruses them. Look at these few....and add yours to the discussion:

In this example the Hooker Express finally arrives at his last objective, New Orleans, late in 1864. In fact, Lincoln was just won the election. Notice all the starlit heavens: all the two star commanders on his side of the battle. He has arrived with four corps, eager to not take casualties. Intelligence at this point is not very important but the examples are still illustrative. And we'll talk about watching for general officers in a while.

[ATTACH]7378[/ATTACH]

Notice first the range the CSA opened up at. Two. This gives me an important correction on a prior intellitip I need to make. And Dixiecrat's wonderful artillery analysis thread picked it up:

Dixicrat wrote:I've made an astonishing discovery! (At least, its astonishing to me. :) )

After examining the AACW_DB_Terrains7e file, it appears that the maximum range of engagement for any terrain other than Clear/Prairie/Desert is 4, with the single exception of Woods (range 5). Furthermore, in weather that's anything other than "Fair", the max engagement range is 4 for all terrains... and sometimes even 3!

Thus, the difference in maximum range for all artillery ordnance is inconsequential, except for clear/prairie/desert and naval engagements conducted during "fair" weather.

(Keep in mind that the minimum rated range among all artillery ordnance is 5.)

If I've misinterpreted what I've read in the file, I'd be delighted to be "set straight".

EDIT: There is one exception to the "minimum range of 5" rule, and that's Gatling Guns, which have a max range of "3".

Now I actually have seen a number of range 7's in clear terrain. But for the most part he is exactly right. And here the range is two.

I had earlier promised a couple of unanswered artillery rounds in a swamp example with Union General Wadsworth. Well this and Dixiecrat's discovery promise THAT won't happen. And in fact, since New Orleans is swampy, we shold prolly expect both infantry and artillery to open up simultaneously. Of course that favors larger numbers even with the frontage restrictions. Now that we know THAT we know that swamp is a good place to bring infantry we wish to bring to bear quickly without unanswered artillery interference or where we wish to bring large, superior numbers brought to bear quickly.

The fact that CSA general Johnston loses 3 infantry elements in a first fight is a clue to the depleted condition of CSA regiments in his exhausted army at this point. There are simply few replacements left in the pool to bring units up to full strength. What YOU don't know is that blockade % has been at 100% since summer and no other CSA conscipt cities exist. He's out of gas.

This example simply reminds us to always check range. A range of two means everyone is gonna be firing.

Notice the huge imbalance in cannon at the top. And notice the "artillerist" trait is present the for Union. a 20% bonus (from prolly General Hunt) in one of the corps (for only) that corps. No wonder the casualties came from ranged fire.

And notice this surprise:

[ATTACH]7379[/ATTACH]

The CSA has been building Steam Frigates. Not that it matters at this point. But I'm shocked.

And this surprise:

[ATTACH]7380[/ATTACH]

Captured Rodmans being used against Hooker captured from an ealrier abortive Texas invasion. Clear over here in Louisiana. Whew!

And this non surprise.....how much supply the Union came with.....

[ATTACH]7386[/ATTACH]
Attachments
How Much Supply.jpg
rodman.jpg
CSA Steam Frigates!.jpg
Open Fire Range.jpg

SkyWestNM
Sergeant

Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:50 am

Now we're not finished by any means.

[ATTACH]7388[/ATTACH]

In the swamps of NC, a minor battle has shaped up at Edenton. Benjamin Prentiss is trying to force Braxton Bragg back. The number of troops and artillery make it look like an even fight, don't they? In fact the Union has a two to one advantage in artillery.

But if we look down at the global scales, the power numbers say otherwise. Power wise the story is Union 378, CSA 475. Big difference. Perhaps superior quality, perhaps swamp defense. You get to decide.

[ATTACH]7387[/ATTACH]

and the hits suffered, being a minor engagement, is not earth shattering either way. But it suggests a point.

Tho the CSA has won a victory and their power was greater, their casualties were also. Power is NOT the only factor to outcome. I was actually slaughtered in a earlier Springfield Missouri battle in which I had a three to one power edge but no artillery and only militia. Power, by itself, is not always an indicator of outcome. Terrain, troop quality, ammo, supply and artillery all carry weight.

And now here's the killer that many of us would have missed in just a cursory glance. Look who else is home too!

[ATTACH]7389[/ATTACH]

Yup. Stonewall. We don't often think of Stonewall as being a subordinate but here he is, buried in a pyle of Bragg's subordinates. Juicy as the action is to get to, the battle reports have clues to our future buried within.

And now you get to play. I've just scratched the surface. What have you found in your battle reports? Surprise me.
Attachments
Who Else is Home.jpg
Global Balance.jpg
Hits Suffered!.jpg

Return to “AACW Strategy discussions”