Slick Wilhelm
Corporal

Replacements

Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:58 pm

Hi, it's me again.

I'm a still fuzzy about how many replacements to purchase each turn. I'm at the very beginning of my April '61 with Kentucky campaign, I think it's June now.

Anyway, I've purchased reinforcements, and they are slowly building up strength and cohesion each turn.

From the wiki:

"You will need to have replacements of the appropriate type available in your pool to recover hits. The number of replacements used up in the process depends on the number of hits recovered and a random factor."

Fine, but do I need replacements of the appropriate type at the beginning of the game where the recently purchased reinforcements are building up strength? Or are replacements strictly for replacing battle/attrition losses?

How many replacements are enough? If I have 4 active cavalry units on the map, do I need to ensure that I have 4 replacements purchased and available? Is it a 1:1 ratio?

As always, thanks in advance for the advice. :hat:

Gray_Lensman

Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:39 pm

deleted

Slick Wilhelm
Corporal

Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:13 pm

Gray_Lensman wrote:Even then your replacement ratio needs change depending on army makeup, frequency of battles, etc. As the CSA, you'll find it hard to even maintain 1:1 at first especially when starting with either of the April 1861 Campaigns.

Sent from my Droid X using Swype.

Hi Gray Lensman,

So based on your answer I'm going to assume that replacements are used to fill out units that are just forming, as well as being used to replace battle casualties.

Are the number of replacements finite? As in, when the number of cavalry replacements are used up, I will no longer be able to purchase them?

I just don't want to burn through all my replacements at the beginning of the campaign if I should be saving some for purchase later.

Gray_Lensman

Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:06 pm

deleted

Slick Wilhelm
Corporal

Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:34 am

Gray_Lensman wrote:I don't think they are used on new units because you have already paid the full cost. They are used on militial units that convert to infantry units and it's infantry unit replacements that are used in that case.

No they are not finite. In other words you can purchase them at whatever rate you might need to in order to replace your losses as necessary without limit, but keep in mind if you purchase tons of them ahead of time, you are tying up resources that might be needed for new unit purchases.

FYI, on the average... (I emphasize on-the-average here), each replacement unit can repair 2 units that are at 1/2 strength. Also, the cost of replacement chits is dynamic, meaning their cost can increase/decrease according to the average cost of the units being used in your game that use that particular replacement chit.

Understood, that really helps clear the fog in my head. Thank you, sir! :thumbsup:

Jim-NC

Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:00 pm

At the start of the game, the "free" units you recieve need replacements to fill up their ranks. So for example, as the union, McDowell's NVA requires replacements to build up to a suitable fighting force. The same applies to Bory's AOP and Johnston's Shenandoah force. Also, replacements are required to "fill out a force". For example, certain units are created missing an element. That element is added based on replacements (Longsteet's? Bde is missing an artillery element, which is added if you have the replacement).

Units you purchase do not need replacements. They are created fully formed.

As to how many, you need enough to fill out your initial forces, then it depends on how much damage you take to your elements.
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Gray_Lensman

Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:03 pm

deleted

George McClellan
Captain
Location: " If you can make it here, you can make it anywhere!"

Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:17 pm

I noticed replacement boxes marked MEX as the Union player. Can foreign intervention work in the Union player's favor too?

Jim-NC

Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:26 pm

If Foreign Intervention happens, then the union gets the Mexican forces.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Cromagnonman
Brigadier General

Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:09 pm

Jim-NC wrote:If Foreign Intervention happens, then the union gets the Mexican forces.

For what that's worth.

You typically get a bunch of free line and militia replacements during the first year- usually this is enough for my militia needs throughout the war.
I usually try to keep 1-2 replacement chits for everything except signal/etc. On top of that, I keep 5 total line infantry chits and 2-3 total supply chits. Just be sure to recheck and keep your chit numbers up.

GraniteStater
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:24 pm

That's a good approach. Aside from some circumstances, as noted above by GL and others, there is a 10% rule of thumb that I have found to be effective - about 10% of the total deployed in the type.

Not my idea - another poster posted it a year or so ago. Works pretty good as a guideline - adjust the %age as needed. Straightleg Inf needs to higher, usually, from what I see.
[color="#AFEEEE"]"Liberty and Union, now and forever, one and inseparable!"[/color]
-Daniel Webster

[color="#FFA07A"]"C'mon, boys, we got the damn Yankees on the run!"[/color]
-General Joseph Wheeler, US Army, serving at Santiago in 1898

RULES
(A) When in doubt, agree with Ace.
(B) Pull my reins up sharply when needed, for I am a spirited thoroughbred and forget to turn at the post sometimes.

Pat "Stonewall" Cleburne
General of the Army

Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:21 pm

In the new RUS game by AGEOD, each replacement type tells you how many hits are missing from those units. It's really helpful. Of course their's like 14 factions so it's still kinda confusing sometimes.

GraniteStater
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:18 am

Oh, and the comment about Straightleg Inf? You'll need a lot of Replacements if you play this guy (* points to immediate above post *) in a PBEM.
[color="#AFEEEE"]"Liberty and Union, now and forever, one and inseparable!"[/color]

-Daniel Webster

[color="#FFA07A"]"C'mon, boys, we got the damn Yankees on the run!"[/color]

-General Joseph Wheeler, US Army, serving at Santiago in 1898

RULES

(A) When in doubt, agree with Ace.

(B) Pull my reins up sharply when needed, for I am a spirited thoroughbred and forget to turn at the post sometimes.

Mickey3D

Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:42 pm

GraniteStater wrote:there is a 10% rule of thumb that I have found to be effective - about 10% of the total deployed in the type.

+1

But I would not go above 10/12 replacement chits even for infantry.

Jim-NC

Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:53 am

Mickey3D wrote:+1

But I would not go above 10/12 replacement chits even for infantry.

I find it depends on your attrition setting. Historical attrition eats up replacements. I have put in 25 or more in infantry (trying to fill my holes), and been at zero 3 turns later. On normal setting, 10-12 is plenty.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Pat "Stonewall" Cleburne
General of the Army

Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:55 am

Jim-NC wrote:I find it depends on your attrition setting. Historical attrition eats up replacements. I have put in 25 or more in infantry (trying to fill my holes), and been at zero 3 turns later. On normal setting, 10-12 is plenty.

In some of my PBEM's, I've let a deficit build up. I overbuilt and couldn't fully replace my losses because I had no draft or volunteers available. I was building 3 leginfantry rep's a turn but I was losing more. When I finally drafted, I built 30 rep's and was empty the next turn. It all depends on how many hits are missing out in the field. Usually 10 or so will make up for 1 major battle.

Mickey3D

Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:57 am

Jim-NC wrote:I find it depends on your attrition setting. Historical attrition eats up replacements. I have put in 25 or more in infantry (trying to fill my holes), and been at zero 3 turns later. On normal setting, 10-12 is plenty.

I'm playing with historical attrition (check mark on the far right of the attrition setting) and I don't think I remember using more than 8 infantry replacements/turn (which is the same as using 25 on three turn). :8o:

I'm buying replacement each turn (as much as possible) and try to stick to the 10% rule/no more than 10-12 chits for infantry. Perhaps are you buying only when required ? It could also depend on your playing still : are you an all out attacker ? :dada:

Jim-NC

Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:55 am

I have been known to be "overly aggressive" at times. ;)

If you have several battles, or you march in the snow (with historical attrition), it can add up.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ace

Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:35 am

I dont have any testing to back my theories, but I have a feeling that if a depleted division is on passive in a city sitting on a depot (difficult to achieve), it will require fewer replacements than the one which is constantly on the move (that is the more common case)

Mickey3D

Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:02 pm

Ace wrote:I dont have any testing to back my theories, but I have a feeling that if a depleted division is on passive in a city sitting on a depot (difficult to achieve), it will require fewer replacements than the one which is constantly on the move (that is the more common case)

Rate of replacement will be higher in a city with depot but the cost in replacement chits is dependent on number of hits recovered and a random factor. See here.

Return to “AACW Strategy discussions”