Colonel Dreux
Major

Confederate Interior Depots: Where To Build Them?

Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:03 am

Where do you guys build your interior CSA depots. My experience leads me to believe building interior depots is not that important, however, I do think people are accurate in saying that if you want to properly hook up Florida & Georgia supplies to Virginia, you need to build them. My question is where?

I normally build a depot in Dallas, Shreveport, and Monroe initially (to link Texas to the Mississippi River via railway & road). I also build depots in Columbia, Kentucky and Bowling Green once I've taken it.

Interior places I tend to build in are:

Granada, MS (sp?)
Union something, GA (south of Athens to link up Atlanta more)
Montgomery, AL
Selma, AL
Brunswick, GA (on the coast)
Florence, SC/NC
Charlottesville, NC

Sometimes I link up the Appalachian railway towns as well, like Marion, Christiansburg, etc...
Oh my God, lay me down!

W.Barksdale
AGEod Grognard

Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:39 am

Waste of resources. Just buy more rail and river points.
Although maybe with the
"Tell General Lee that if he wants a bridge of dead Yankees I can furnish him with one."
-General William Barksdale at Fredericksburg

Vegetius
General

Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:26 am

I quite agree with locations you propose, my own preferences are as follow :

1) Charlotteville.
2) Montgomery.
3) Marion.
4) Lynchburg.
5) Selma (i haven't done it yet but it is a good idea :) .)

I would not build in Florence (too close to Camden) and in Brunswick (Nashville is better in my opinion).
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mickey3D

Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:56 am

Colonel Dreux, you propose the building of 13 depots. Isn't it a lot of resources wasted when CSA is already so short of them (at least in PBEM) ?

Vegetius
General

Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:06 pm

I am sure that Colonel Dreux has taken in account the capture of some federal wagons :D !

Really a good remark Mickey, so much depots are not possible to build in pbem.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Colonel Dreux
Major

Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:29 am

Mickey3D wrote:Colonel Dreux, you propose the building of 13 depots. Isn't it a lot of resources wasted when CSA is already so short of them (at least in PBEM) ?

Like I said initially, you can win without building a single one of the interior depots. Not until recently have I bothered with it at all.

I am just wondering where people build them who follow the "CSA should build some internal depots" method, i.e., where to un-bottleneck the bottlenecks.
Oh my God, lay me down!

Colonel Dreux
Major

Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:32 am

Vegetius wrote:I quite agree with locations you propose, my own preferences are as follow :

1) Charlotteville.
2) Montgomery.
3) Marion.
4) Lynchburg.
5) Selma (i haven't done it yet but it is a good idea :) .)

I would not build in Florence (too close to Camden) and in Brunswick (Nashville is better in my opinion).

Later in the game I've placed depots in Marion and Lynchburg as well. Defending those Cumberland Gap mountain town/areas is tricky. Units there get very few supplies if you don't push stuff their way. Good call, I think.
Oh my God, lay me down!

MFogal
Conscript

Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:41 pm

New player here (within the past 3 months) -- I appreciate all the postings and tips in these pages. I had not thought about interior supply depots -- I never seem to have enough supply wagons, particularly as the CSA.

General question: on the economics page, when you build factories in various states, you add capacity -- e.g. "Paducah is building an extra 8 ammo/turn . . ."

Is it the general sense among veteran players out there that this helps push supplies toward the front? Put another way, if the supplies are being built close to the front, then doesn't this alleviate the need for interior depots?

Admittedly, building your productive capacity close to the front has it's own risks -- it can be captured. On the other hand, supply wagons are so expensive, I'm reluctant to use them just to improve the efficiency of internal movement of goods.

Mickey3D

Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:45 pm

MFogal wrote:General question: on the economics page, when you build factories in various states, you add capacity -- e.g. "Paducah is building an extra 8 ammo/turn . . ."

Is it the general sense among veteran players out there that this helps push supplies toward the front? Put another way, if the supplies are being built close to the front, then doesn't this alleviate the need for interior depots?

Admittedly, building your productive capacity close to the front has it's own risks -- it can be captured. On the other hand, supply wagons are so expensive, I'm reluctant to use them just to improve the efficiency of internal movement of goods.

I'm not an experienced south player but I find very difficult to spare enough resources to improve my industry capacity. If I improve my economy, I do it in states like Georgia, South Carolina or North Carolina so I won't loose my new factories too fast.

slimey.rock
Major

Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:49 am

Mickey3D wrote:I'm not an experienced south player but I find very difficult to spare enough resources to improve my industry capacity. If I improve my economy, I do it in states like Georgia, South Carolina or North Carolina so I won't loose my new factories too fast.

^^^Wise words^^^

MFogal: You might try using river transport ships to build depots. They're much cheaper however you obviously can only put them in harbors.

Vegetius
General

Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:02 am

Yes, riverine transports are very cheap compare to wagons ! May it will change with the new patch ?

And to support Mickey, i think you shall better invest in trains to carry supplies from rear lines than invest in productive capacity on the front line.

I usually increase my productive capacity between Early October and End December 61, after and before the conscription and call to volonteers, mainly in Georgia (heavy investment). It allows to get 5 to 10 additional WS if you are lucky enough !

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Colonel Dreux
Major

Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:35 pm

MFogal wrote:New player here (within the past 3 months) -- I appreciate all the postings and tips in these pages. I had not thought about interior supply depots -- I never seem to have enough supply wagons, particularly as the CSA.

General question: on the economics page, when you build factories in various states, you add capacity -- e.g. "Paducah is building an extra 8 ammo/turn . . ."

Yes, I think you are right. If you increase capacity in front lines states, interior depots matter less. I think you can play the whole game and not worry about interior depots. To build it up perfectly where you had every area of the South fully supplied you'd probably have to modify how depots are built so you could build a lot of them or capture a bunch from the Union (but by that time you're probably well on your way to winning the game and don't need to worry about interior depots).

Definitely use the four level transports to build the depots on the Mississippi River and tributary. So if you want to build one in Paducah or Columbia, use a transport.
Oh my God, lay me down!

Mickey3D

Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:43 pm

Don't forget that playing against the AI or against human opponent is not the same.

I encourage you to try PBEM but be ready to see some of your strategies defeated if they rely too much on AI weakness !

Colonel Dreux
Major

Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:26 pm

Mickey3D wrote:Don't forget that playing against the AI or against human opponent is not the same.

I encourage you to try PBEM but be ready to see some of your strategies defeated if they rely too much on AI weakness !

Nothing I've said is meant to correspond to PBEM games. I only play AI. Obviously the game play is different.
Oh my God, lay me down!

Brochgale
Brigadier General

Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:52 pm

My own prefernces for building CSA depots are in PvP

Charlotteville/Lynchburg
Marion
Shreveport
Selma

Well the nephew read something about Selma being a city where CSA produced a lot of Cannon so does tend to make a bee line for that part of Alabama when he breaks my lines in Tennessee, forcing me to defend or just give up on Alabama - I cant help it I have a mental attachment to it - hey Ruby if you are out there - thats your fault - thank you sweetie for a wonderful time!
"How noble is one, to love his country:how sad the fate to mingle with those you hate"
W.A.Fletcher "Memoirs Of A Confederate Soldier"

enf91
AGEod Veteran

Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:40 am

I don't think you even need interior depots to move supply around. Supply will move along rail lines/rivers to where it is needed, and towns do not interfere with that. The only thing towns have to do with supply is that supply cannot be drawn directly from them by a unit in another region. Supply, AFAIK, can pass through them unaffected.

cobraII
Captain

Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:26 am

Well the only place I usualy build a depot is charlotteville Virginia, and only then after I have been forced south of the Rappahannock. also i build depots if they are in areas that they get destroyed by the Union, if i regain control that is.
Quote General Lee Gettysburg movie,
"Do you see, General, there is the great trap, to be a good soldier you must love the army, to be a good commander you must be ready to order the death of the thing you love. We don't fear our death. But if this war goes on and on and the men die and the price gets ever high. We are prepared to lose some of us, but we are never prepared to lose all of us. We are adrift here in a sea of blood and I want it to end. I want this to be the final battle".

Return to “AACW Strategy discussions”