I have Win7 6.1. It wouldn't surprise me if it was Win causing this. I just thought it might be the patch cus I installed 1.16 and it fixed a few issues and drastically improved game play for just being a patch and when I upgraded to 1.17 it all went down the crapper. However, it appears I fixed it somehow by following your instructions and troubleshooting it and I reverted to a compatibility with WinXP but it gave me graphics error messages and wouldn't run so I cleared any and all changes and that some how fixed it. Not sure how or why but that gave it the kick it needed to start working right again. So for now I will continue to use 1.17. Thank you for your help.