gchristie
Brigadier General

trouble with screen resolution

Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:44 pm

I posted this a while back but wasn't able to get a solution. My computer monitor is an ACER X191W LCD and supports resolutions up to 1440 x 900 @ 75Hz. I've not had problems with my monitor supporting AACW in the past. But when the 1.16 rc10 came out I uninstalled the game and did a fresh reinstall but when I boot up the game the ledger panel overlaps the "Quite, same game, replay buttons." Attached is an image of what I see.

So I've played around with the different screen resolutions in the configuration utility but nothing I've tried solves the problem. Can anyone tell me how to fix this?
Attachments
what it looks like.jpg
"Now, back to Rome for a quick wedding - and some slow executions!"- Miles Gloriosus

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:03 pm

What's in your Display file in \ACW\Settings folder?

gchristie
Brigadier General

Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:47 pm

Don't know for sure. This is what is in the AACW/Settings folder (see attached).

My system runs on Windows 7 and I install the game into Program Files. Should I install it into Program Files (x87) instead?
Attachments
display file.jpg
"Now, back to Rome for a quick wedding - and some slow executions!"- Miles Gloriosus

Franciscus

Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:09 pm

You can open it with Notepad,

The site where you install it should not have relation with your problem... :confused:

gchristie
Brigadier General

Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:19 pm

Of course, notepad. Thank you Franciscus.

Here is what I see:

ScreenWidth = Default
ScreenHeight = Default
ScreenDepth = Default
ScreenFrequency = Default
Cursor = Hardware
FullScreen = 0
Windowed = 1
Borderless = 1

BrigthnessLevel = 0
MapBrigthness = 0

Franciscus

Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:24 pm

Try fullscreen = 1 and windowed = 0 (if not OK, try also borderless = 0)
Save and exit notepad before launching the game.

gchristie
Brigadier General

Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:45 pm

I did as you said, but it does no good. This is what I'm still seeing. It is quite frustrating as I've made no changes to my computer between installations. Once the game worked, now it does not.

At a minimum I would like to get rid of the Windows task bar so I can see the bottom of my screen. You realize you a dealing with someone who knows very little about computers :blink:
Attachments
no dice.jpg

Nikel

Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:23 am

In your screenshots everything looks huge, have you changed this?

[ATTACH]17328[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Untitled.png

Franciscus

Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:54 am

gchristie wrote:(...)
At a minimum I would like to get rid of the Windows task bar so I can see the bottom of my screen. You realize you a dealing with someone who knows very little about computers :blink:

To auto-hide your taskbar, right-click in it and then in "properties", select the option that should read something like "automatically hide the taskbar" (I have a Portuguese windows version... :) )

gchristie
Brigadier General

Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:01 am

Nikel,

You have solved the problem. Thank you. :winner:

I must have changed the resolutiion to give my oldish eyes a break. :p apy:

Thanks again Franciscus.

Onward. :p arty:

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:29 am

gchristie wrote:Nikel, You have solved the problem. Thank you. :winner:
I must have changed the resolutiion to give my oldish eyes a break. :p apy

Maybe not the resolution of the screen, but the resolution of what is written on: you had change the DPI (dots per inch, what shows Nikel screen),
and AGE games are not made for more than 100% DPI (and they don't tell this when you buy the games).

A solution (not perfect, and this is with Win XP) is to keep your big DPI, with editing decreased (x0.8 for Medium or x0.67 for Larger) the font file, and setting decreased a little too the resolution of the screen for the game.
If I'm correct, WinXP is only applying the DPI on the fonts, but Win7 apply it on almost everything, so it should work not so good as you'll only touch the fonts file.

Return to “AACW Technical support / Aide technique”