RebelYell
General of the Army

Windows 7 and a clean reinstall.

Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:39 pm

Im having trouble finding all the old files from my computer, how do i find them and where should i install the game?

I need step by step instructions so i dont mess this up even more.. :bonk:

rattler01
Captain

Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:48 pm

Did enable seeing "hidden folders"? You enable this by opening your hard drive, hit "alt" key and go under tools tab, select folder options..., select view tab, and open "files and folders" and under that open "hidden files and folers" and select "show hidden files, folders, and drives".

I don't think it matters where u install it in windows 7, I know vista was a pain.
"To fallen comrades. And Winged Warriors; past, present, and future. One team, one fight. Winged Warriors."

Durk

Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:30 am

RebelYell wrote:Im having trouble finding all the old files from my computer, how do i find them and where should i install the game?

I need step by step instructions so i dont mess this up even more.. :bonk:

Here is an alternative.

Select the start button at the left bottom of your computer.
You will see a "Search Programs and Files" Option
Type in "ACW" and hit enter. Or type in "American Civil"

This will display all places you have files and folders with ACW in them. It should show you where your file resides.
If you did ACW in your search, which is the easiest, you will need to search your location for the folder at a higher level.
Select the folder "AEGod's American Civil War." This is the folder with the whole game inside.

If you have not installed, this file will be in a compress mode, such as zip. Double click and the option to download and install will appear, accept the defaults.
If you have installed, copy this folder and and paste it in one of the folders shown below.

Then install in either:
1. Program Files (x86) This is the preferred location so updates are automatically installed in the right location without you needing to find it manually.
or
2. In the "Games" folder. This is the folder I use for my installs as it is easy to find and not too deep in the structure.

Hobbes

Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:12 pm

I have had some problems making manual changes to files installed in the program files directory - I think I have had less problems when amending files installed under the games directory.

For anyone that isn't aware, W7 saves certain files in directories held under users/(username)/AppData/VirtualStore

Saved games, logs etc are often in here. I also notice that when I make changes to say a .opt file to change scroll settings etc I have to make the changes to files held here as making changes to the actual files held in the game directory has no effect. A real pain!

Cheers, Chris

Return to “AACW Technical support / Aide technique”