Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Boot Error

Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:01 pm

Recently I installed the game on a new laptop running Win7 64 bit Pro. I installed in the root c: directory. I then installed 1.16rc4a over it. No problems.

However, every time I boot up the game it crashes. Upon reboot of the game it works fine.

Here is the message I get on the first fail:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: AACW.exe
Application Version: 1.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 2a425e19
Fault Module Name: AACW.exe
Fault Module Version: 1.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 2a425e19
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 003fa9d2
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: ae01
Additional Information 2: ae01ba8b38afba89933e02c407eb5c8d
Additional Information 3: 6134
Additional Information 4: 6134ca253340d0e062c623f0fab6aad7

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

IN ADDITION,

I also get a windows pop up error box, but it's all in French and I can't copy it. It seems to be a problem with an address that is all zeros.

Any help would be appreciated.

Durk

Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:57 am

Have your tried running as an admin?
For me, all games work fine in Windows 7, both 32 and 64, if I right click and select, run as an administrator. Until I learned this move, I would get something very similar to what happens to you.

Windows 7 is a really good system for gamers with a closet full of old games. This system allows you to run games using older systems back to DOS. For DOS games, you still need something like DOSBox. For all newer games, Windows 7 will find the correct system and make your game work.

For me as an American Civil War nut, Frank Hunter's delightful strategic level American Civil War can now be played on Windows 7. A game which until now I have only been able to play on an old computer I keep under my bed. This gem of a strategic game is available for free. While I really like AGEODs ACW, I delight in the simplicity of Hunter's broad overview of this war. Fun strategic level game, boring as heck to those who need a blood bath every turn, and now once again playable, if you remember to run as an admin.

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:02 pm

That can't be it. I don't run as administrator on another machine which also requires a log in and the game runs fine. (Both machines use the same operating system.)

I appreciate the suggestion though!

Ethan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:18 pm

Hi Longshanks! :)

Have you tried to install a previous patch such as 1.15 to check if it runs properly?

Greetings!
[color="Navy"][font="Georgia"]"Mi grandeza no reside en no haber caído nunca, sino en haberme levantado siempre". Napoleón Bonaparte.[/font][/color]

[color="Blue"]Same Land. Different Dreams. - Photobook[/color]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

GraniteStater
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Get back to me on email, LS, but don't be quick to dismiss the Admin privileges. First, if it works as a workaround, then you have an ad hoc sol'n and you know that the problem is not fundamental.

Why does Vista and Win7 decide where your Save files "ought" to go? Privileges, path statements, etc., often can be the source of a problem, with no fundamental error in launching the app.
[color="#AFEEEE"]"Liberty and Union, now and forever, one and inseparable!"[/color]
-Daniel Webster

[color="#FFA07A"]"C'mon, boys, we got the damn Yankees on the run!"[/color]
-General Joseph Wheeler, US Army, serving at Santiago in 1898

RULES
(A) When in doubt, agree with Ace.
(B) Pull my reins up sharply when needed, for I am a spirited thoroughbred and forget to turn at the post sometimes.

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:07 am

GraniteStater wrote:Get back to me on email, LS, but don't be quick to dismiss the Admin privileges. First, if it works a s a workaround, then you have an ad hoc sol'n and you know that the problem is not fundamental.

Why does Vista and Win7 decide where your Save files "ought" to go? Privileges, path statements, etc., often can be the source of a problem, with no fundamental error in launching the app.

Fair points, but the two machines both run the exact same version of Win 7 Professional, with the same updates, so it's hard to blame it on windows, although I'm usually game for that. AACW installed on C:\ in both. Win 7 doesn't grab your game files like Vista did, so I doubt that's it.

As for Ethan's comment, nope, I installed and immediately ran the patch.

The game does run correctly on the second start up. Just the first start up crashes.

I appreciate the ideas though!

Gray_Lensman

Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:12 am

deleted

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:45 pm

Gray_Lensman wrote:Incidentally, I'm running a Laptop with Win7 64 Pro , UAC disabled, and in Admin mode with no startup issues whatsoever with any of the AGEOD games.

yeh, i've pretty much decided this is interference from Sony Vaio's "helpful" addon software, which I'll be removing soon.

Ethan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:28 am

If you finally get solve this problem, let us know. ;)

Good luck, Longshanks! :thumbsup:
[color="Navy"][font="Georgia"]"Mi grandeza no reside en no haber caído nunca, sino en haberme levantado siempre". Napoleón Bonaparte.[/font][/color]

[color="Blue"]Same Land. Different Dreams. - Photobook[/color]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “AACW Technical support / Aide technique”