Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

How to Limit Access to a AAR Thread?

Wed May 11, 2011 1:15 pm

I hope to soon be starting my first PBEM game and would like to post a series of AAR posts describing the game as it progresses. However, naturally I would like my opponent not to be able to read this until after the game is completed. I gather there's a way to do this, but can't find any info on how to set it up. Advice?

Gray_Lensman

Wed May 11, 2011 2:17 pm

deleted

Jim-NC

Wed May 11, 2011 5:28 pm

One thing you can do is delay posting. Don't post your information for say 5 or 6 turns. That way, if your opponent reads your AAR on the forum, they will be learning what troops you moved and where 5 turns ago. You will still have to trust your opponent to not look, but this way they don't get all your information.
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ethan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed May 11, 2011 5:32 pm

Longshanks wrote:I hope to soon be starting my first PBEM game and would like to post a series of AAR posts describing the game as it progresses. However, naturally I would like my opponent not to be able to read this until after the game is completed. I gather there's a way to do this, but can't find any info on how to set it up. Advice?

The procedure used by other members when posting an AAR is to do it with some delay, that is, you should begin to post your turn #1 when you are playing the turn #7, for example. ;)

Good luck with the game and enjoy playing! :thumbsup:

Edit: Well, Jim has been faster than me! :D
[color="Navy"][font="Georgia"]"Mi grandeza no reside en no haber caído nunca, sino en haberme levantado siempre". Napoleón Bonaparte.[/font][/color]

[color="Blue"]Same Land. Different Dreams. - Photobook[/color]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jim-NC

Wed May 11, 2011 5:40 pm

This time I was faster.
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ethan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed May 11, 2011 5:54 pm

:) :thumbsup:
[color="Navy"][font="Georgia"]"Mi grandeza no reside en no haber caído nunca, sino en haberme levantado siempre". Napoleón Bonaparte.[/font][/color]

[color="Blue"]Same Land. Different Dreams. - Photobook[/color]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Wed May 11, 2011 7:13 pm

You gotta like a forum where folks are fightin' over who got the response in first! :thumbsup:

John Sedgwick
Colonel

Wed May 11, 2011 9:04 pm

Yep, there's no way to prevent an opponent from peeking at your AAR short of blocking their IP address from the post, and that's not really a viable option. Honour system or delayed posting are two options, but you could also post only the barebones details and keep critical information "top secret" until after your plans have played out, and explain your rationale after the fact.

It would be nice if you could prevent someone from reading your AAR though. I confess I've been tempted to peek at Yellowhammer's AAR for our ongoing PBEM game, usually when I see other people commenting - I'm thinking, hey, are they giving him advice? Why don't they give me advice too? I guess I don't post often enough to keep people interested :neener:
"I'm ashamed of you, dodging that way. They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance."ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Wed May 11, 2011 9:24 pm

I've been reading both of your posts. So here's what Yellowhammer has planned ... oops! (mouth zipped) :innocent:

John Sedgwick
Colonel

Wed May 11, 2011 9:33 pm

Heheh. Honestly though, I wouldn't worry about it - the general maturity level of these forums seems high enough that you could rely on most people to act honourably. If they cheat, they're only cheating themselves anyway - the game wouldn't be nearly as much fun (and nerve-wracking!) if I knew what my opponent was up to, and it wouldn't be a very satisfying victory if you had a never-ending supply of discarded cigars wrapped in sensitive information, now would it?
"I'm ashamed of you, dodging that way. They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance."ImageImage

ImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “AACW Technical support / Aide technique”