Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Moving Saved Games

Tue May 03, 2011 8:49 pm

I'm trying to figure out how I can moved a saved game from one PC (home) to another pc (not home) to continue a game. Tried copying several different folders and files, but I'm doing something wrong. Any advice?

Ethan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed May 04, 2011 12:00 am

Hi Longshanks! :)

It's very easy ;) . You just have to go to the AACW folder (C / AGEOD's American Civil War - if you have not installed it in Program Files - / ACW / Saves / And here you click on the file of the game you want to copy)... And from there to the pendrive, CD or via email to the other PC.

You also can copy the "Saves" folder and so you'll have all your saved games.

Good luck and enjoy playing, friend! :thumbsup:

:wavey:
[color="Navy"][font="Georgia"]"Mi grandeza no reside en no haber caído nunca, sino en haberme levantado siempre". Napoleón Bonaparte.[/font][/color]

[color="Blue"]Same Land. Different Dreams. - Photobook[/color]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ethan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed May 04, 2011 9:14 pm

Longshanks, have you been able to move your saved games finally? :)
[color="Navy"][font="Georgia"]"Mi grandeza no reside en no haber caído nunca, sino en haberme levantado siempre". Napoleón Bonaparte.[/font][/color]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Fri May 06, 2011 10:05 pm

THe games transferred perfectly from home to other pc. However, the reverse did not occur. Even though I deleted the folder from the memory stick and then saved the new turns back onto the memory stick (the entire folder of course), when I got home I had the same files as when I started.

So, I assumed I somehow copied the wrong folder. Here's the odd part: On my second PC, if I went to Load Game, it only showed the game I originally brought from home. However, if I went to Resume Game, it brought up the current game. So, I hit resume game, and then went to the Main Menu and hit Save Game and I RENAMED it, with the idea of copying that to make sure I got the latest version. Okay, now it gets really odd: that newly named game was nowhere on my computer (when I didn't find it in Saves I did a complete search). Nowhere. However, if I attempted to Load Game it, there it was in the list, along with other games! It had a very distinctive name too.

So, bottom line, no, I was not able to complete the transfer in both directions.

Ethan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat May 07, 2011 12:47 am

If I remember correctly, some time ago, some members talked about similar problems with saved games. Where have you installed the game? I think if you've installed in C/ Program Files... can be problematic. Try to install it directly in C/.

On the other hand, what is your operating system? Windows Vista?

Check out here, perhaps this help you. :thumbsup:

Regards! ;)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Gray_Lensman

Sat May 07, 2011 1:17 pm

deleted

Ethan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat May 07, 2011 1:35 pm

Thanks for the clarification and the link, Gray! ;) :thumbsup:

Greetings! :wavey:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Sat May 07, 2011 5:24 pm

Yeh, installed in the default spot, which is in c:\programs. Running Win 7 on both machines. I'll read the link and try again. thanks!

Ethan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat May 07, 2011 6:58 pm

Good luck, Longshanks, and tell us if you get it finally! ;)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Sun May 08, 2011 12:10 pm

OK, so it seems I need to uninstall and reinstall the game to the root directory. NP. However, will this affect any current games? Or will they just stay as saved games in the save file as many other games do when uninstalled?

Ethan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun May 08, 2011 12:52 pm

Yes, indeed. Saved games folder will remain there. Anyway, if I were you, I would make a back up before ;) :thumbsup:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Gray_Lensman

Sun May 08, 2011 2:52 pm

deleted

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Sun May 08, 2011 9:02 pm

I reinstalled to root directory and got everything working normal. However, I can't figure out how to load past turns in the current game. I'm looking for the turns when the game performed unexpectedly so I can attach to a post elsewhere. I've tried double-clicking the old save (Save14 or whatever), but that doesn't open it and they don't seem to be listed in the list of games that can be loaded. How do those old turns get loaded, please?

Lafrite

Sun May 08, 2011 11:11 pm

Try this path

C:\Users\yourprofilename\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\AGEod's American Civil War\ACW\Saves

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Mon May 09, 2011 12:55 am

no such path on my pc. specifically, no appdata folder under my user name.

PS. Really? It's this hard to load a saved game that isn't the most recent one? Great game though!

Jim-NC

Mon May 09, 2011 3:19 am

Normally no. It is due to the wonders of Windows. :bonk:

Assuming your the host, then usually, your game has back up folders in the same sub directory. For example, as seen below, I have a game called High Road. All the previous turns are located in the same folder. The folder name is high road, and is located in my saves folder. Hope this helps in finding your same games.

[ATTACH]14997[/ATTACH]
Attachments
saves.JPG
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Mon May 09, 2011 12:28 pm

I can FIND the saved games in my folders, they just don't show up when I hit Load Game. Only the most recent version of that game shows up - not past turns. What I want to do is load one of the old turns in my folder, but they're not to be found in game.

Jim-NC

Mon May 09, 2011 5:11 pm

Ah. They won't show up to be able to load inside the game. What you need to do is copy the backup turn as a differently named folder in the save games location. Then you can open it up.
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ethan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon May 09, 2011 5:21 pm

Longshanks wrote:no such path on my pc. specifically, no appdata folder under my user name.

I guess you don't see the AppData folder because it's hidden. You have to change the options in order to show hidden folders. :)

On the other hand, have you installed the game directly in C:\? :confused:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Mon May 09, 2011 11:42 pm

Jim: that's the info I was looking for! thanks! Now I should be able to find the turns where Bory supplanted Lee, as I mentioned in another post you responded to under Strategic....

Ethan: I have always run windows with hidden files showing, but I think when I recently upgraded to professional, I forgot to reset it, so i'm betting you're right.

Return to “AACW Technical support / Aide technique”