UnnOblivious
Conscript

Game Loading/Saving Error

Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:31 am

Hi, I've been looking through many of your Forum Threads trying to find the problem I'm having. There is a thread from Sept. 1st or 2nd of someone with a very similar problem to mine.

I will get somewhere around half a year to two years into the game when the problem occurs. Specifically during the turn process, the game will autosave, it seems to happen at the end of the turn. The error seems to be a conflict with saving the game and the operating system. The operating system will then close out the program.
When I restart everything is ok on launch. The Main Menu screen will come up. When i click on the "Load Game" button in the main menu, the same error occurs that occurred in the game. I will be unable to play without reinstalling. Reinstalling temporarily solves the problem, up until a half year to a year into the game, AGAIN.

I'm operating with Vista, 3GB DDR2,
I've installed AACW removing the \ProgramFiles\ portion
Launching the game is no problem.
I've reinstalled the game 10 times and the problem always occurs again.

I love your game, but with this error its a huge tease. Maybe I'll buy a new computer with xp and maybe that will fix the problem :bonk: but I'd certainly like a cheaper solution.
Thanks for any help you can give me!!!!!!!!

UnnOblivious
Conscript

Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:48 am

I forgot to mention,

This problem occured in three different patch settings

no patch, patch 1.13b, and patch 1.14c

On patch 1.14c the error was different during the game, the autosave showed a message in the "Mailbox" stating something to the effect "Operating system not saving retrying", not the exact wording but something close to that. I'm then able to continue my turn as normal, until.... I hit the next turn button. Nothing happens. The game doesn't freeze, it just won't process the turn.
I was able to ext to the main menu, resume, and nothing still. I quit the game and reloaded. Got to the main menu only to have the same problem when clicking on the Load Game button.

Thanks, especially for the smilies in your forum, it removes some STRESS!!!!!! I need my AACW CRACK BACK!!! I'm on on withdrawal! :wacko:

Gray_Lensman

Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:23 am

deleted

MrT
Colonel

Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:31 am

UnnOblivious wrote:I'm operating with Vista, 3GB DDR2,
!

3gb ddr2 so it seems.

Gray_Lensman

Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:30 am

deleted

Generalisimo

Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:19 pm

UnnOblivious wrote:Hi, I've been looking through many of your Forum Threads trying to find the problem I'm having. There is a thread from Sept. 1st or 2nd of someone with a very similar problem to mine.

I will get somewhere around half a year to two years into the game when the problem occurs. Specifically during the turn process, the game will autosave, it seems to happen at the end of the turn. The error seems to be a conflict with saving the game and the operating system. The operating system will then close out the program.
When I restart everything is ok on launch. The Main Menu screen will come up. When i click on the "Load Game" button in the main menu, the same error occurs that occurred in the game. I will be unable to play without reinstalling. Reinstalling temporarily solves the problem, up until a half year to a year into the game, AGAIN.

I'm operating with Vista, 3GB DDR2,
I've installed AACW removing the \ProgramFiles\ portion
Launching the game is no problem.
I've reinstalled the game 10 times and the problem always occurs again.

I love your game, but with this error its a huge tease. Maybe I'll buy a new computer with xp and maybe that will fix the problem :bonk: but I'd certainly like a cheaper solution.
Thanks for any help you can give me!!!!!!!!

Have you removed the UAC of Vista?
"History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon."
Napoleon Bonaparte

BOA-AAR: ¡Abajo el imperialismo Británico! (en español)

AGEOD Facebook Fanpage - news & screenshots about the upcoming games!

Pocus

Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:57 pm

I would say (loose guess) that you have somehow the (bad) possibility of having a file not correctly written on your disk, from time to time. First, if possible, you should install the game not on C:, if you have Vista and this kind of problems.

Then, if you still get it, don't uninstall the game, you just have to make some cleaning in your saved games and I believe it should be ok. Check where is the Saves folder, and the game you are playing. Open the folder and see if there is one of the file with a 0 byte weight, if yes you have the culprit. You'll then need to delete it if this is an order file (and just continue playing). If this is a turn or hosting file, here you need to backup one turn (either manually or within the game if you can still open the load game directory). Redo your turn, hopefully you won't get some back luck twice in a row (but perhaps 12 turns in the future, but I think this is bearable, as there is no real fix to this file writing problem, which occurs 99% of the time on Vista computers).

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

UnnOblivious
Conscript

Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:08 pm

For the memory question:
I used to have 2GB of RAM and everything seemed to work ok, I usually only use one program at a time. I've recently upgraded to 3 GB, i guess for no reason, just to make sure with some of the newer games I'm ok. I also put in a blazing fast graphics card with 1GB GDDR3.

Others:
Yes, redoing a turn now and then would be bearable. I'll try both suggestions, disabling the UAC and I'll check the saved games folder after the problem occurs. I'm 95 percent certain that it has something to do with the saved games or how the operating system interacts with the program during saving/loading games.

Thanks, and I'll keep you updated! :thumbsup:

Generalisimo

Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:11 pm

For more info on disabling the UAC in Vista, you have this thread:
http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?t=11621&highlight=disable+uac
:thumbsup:
"History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon."
Napoleon Bonaparte

BOA-AAR: ¡Abajo el imperialismo Británico! (en español)

AGEOD Facebook Fanpage - news & screenshots about the upcoming games!

Franciscus

Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:08 pm

UnnOblivious wrote:For the memory question:
I used to have 2GB of RAM and everything seemed to work ok, I usually only use one program at a time. I've recently upgraded to 3 GB, i guess for no reason, just to make sure with some of the newer games I'm ok. I also put in a blazing fast graphics card with 1GB GDDR3.

Your problem can indeed be a memory problem. Although you now have 3 Gig RAM, you have a graphics card with 1 Gb, which is a big "footprint" on your RAM. Try to decrease the memory usage of AACW in the options menu to 50% (or 25%) and see how it works. You could also reduce the maximum texture size (sorry, away from home and I do not remember what are exactly the designations of these options in the menu)

Regards

Return to “AACW Technical support / Aide technique”