Early October Results

Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:44 pm

October 10, 1862
HQ, Army of Northern Virginia
Manassas, Virginia
11:00AM

To: Secretary of War George W. Randolph

Mr. Secretary-
I trust this letter will find you well. It is my duty to report to you that the forces under my command have as, of yet, been unable to leave the Manassas area. The day before our march was to get underway, the Federals demonstrated with a large force, some 40,000 men, upon our right flank which had been weakened due to reorganization of the army in its preparation to move into Maryland and Pennsylvania.

I quickly dispatched General Jackson's Corps to the area to reinforce General Longstreet, and our men and officers once again triumphed over the Federal forces. The battle, from my position, seemed to be a quick fight, lasting perhaps, less then two hours. The Federal move was checked and General Jackson was able to launch a decisive counter attack which forced the Federals to flee from the area.

Major Chilton estimates our casualties to be about 3,500 men killed and wounded, while the enemy is known to have suffered almost three times that number.

Four days later, as General Stuart was on the road towards Front Royal, the entire Army of the Potomac appeared not four miles from my Headquarters. It was well screened by cavalry, but General McClellan again left his right flank vulnerable for assault. This time, it was General Hill's Corps, with General Ewell's Division that led the way. In a series of oblique moves, General Ewell was able to position his division in a way where it was difficult to detect by the enemy, who again tried to assault our right flank.

General Hill opened his assault upon the enemy at about 9:30 in the morning and inflicted heavy losses upon them. General Hooker's Corps suffered badly and fled the field by noon. Shortly after, the entire Federal line began to gave way and retreated, in good order, to the rear leaving this army again in command of the field. It was a long fight, that engaged all three army Corps under my command. Our casualties for this fight numbered about 6,500 while it is estimated that the enemy lost a much greater number, perhaps even as many as 22,000 men. We captured a number of prisoners who are very despondent, and are of generally poor morale, though they are well equipped.

Per my instructions from you and the President, I plan another attempt to move General Jackson and General Hill's Corps north into Maryland, although poor weather may force us to cancel this operation until the next campaign season. If that is the case, I will send prompt notification of my intentions not to undergo a general offensive.

Your humble and obedient servant-
R.E. Lee, General

[ATTACH]3088[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]3089[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]3090[/ATTACH]

==========================================================
October 10, 1862
HQ, Army of Mississippi
Nashville, Tennessee
1:30PM

To: President Jefferson Davis

Mr. President-
The advance of this army was checked by a much larger Federal force under General Pope three days ago. My fear that his force would advance south from his positions at Clarksville came true. It appeared, at first, that my army held the advantage in numbers, but the Federals seemed to make an appearance just in time with reserves upon the center right of our line.

General Cheatham and General A.P. Stewart's Division suffered the brunt of the assault, and full credit must be given to General Forrest who sacrificed his cavalry while this army made a tactical withdrawl back to the Nashville area. I estimate our casualties to be about 7,500 men, while the enemy lost about 5,500 men. The movement back to Nashville was executed will skill only shown by veteran officers and troops.

I have ordered General Hindman's detached division to move on Humbolt and secure that area, while General Forrest's command was instructed to move south to Savannah, Tennessee to rest and reequip. The three corps here in Nashville, totaling six divisions, will remain in place in the coming winter months unless an opportunity to enter Kentucky and make significant gains against the enemy present itself.

General Pemberton's Corps is now situated just south of Winchester, Tennessee. He reports that there is now a Federal force, perhaps under the command of General Halleck, that is north of Tullahoma. Gen'rl Pemberton estimates this force to be two or three Union divisions. I am instructing him to maintain his position and block any Federal attempt to move on either Knoxville or Chattanooga. If you desire anything different, please communicate to me as quickly as possible.

I remain, your friend,
A.S. Johnston, General

[ATTACH]3091[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]3092[/ATTACH]

October 15, 1862
HQ, Smith's Corps
Malvern, Arkansas

To: General J.E. Johnston

Sir-
In response to your letter of the 10th instant, my command now numbers about 6,500 ill trained and ill equipped men. There are few horses, and no wagons to be found. If General Grant advanced upon this place, I am not certain that the forces here would be sufficient to stop him. I understand that more forces are advancing to this position from points south. Their arrival is much anticipated. For now, I do not believe an offensive is possible, and may not be until the spring.

I am, your servant,
G.W. Smith, Major General

Attachments
10 15 62 west orders.jpg
10 7 62 Humphreys battle.jpg
10 15 62 east orders.jpg
10 8 62 Manassas battle.jpg
10 4 62 Manassas battle.jpg

captainmatt
Sergeant

Late October results

Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:35 am

October 25, 1862
Office of the President
White House, Richmond, VA

To: General Albert S. Johnston, commanding, Army of Mississippi

General-
I have received news today of General Pemberton's defeat near Chattanooga. I understand his forces are falling back towards that city. I have this morning sent a telegram to Savannah for General Hardee to immediately travel to Chattanooga for the purpose of relieving General Pemberton.

I have also ordered a portion of General Hardee's force to move by rail through Georgia to reinforce him at Chattanooga, though his forces will take some time to reach that place.

In the meantime, I concur with your suggestion that you should remain stationary as much as possible until the spring unless an opportunity presents itself. I further concur with your reorganization of the Army of Tennessee into two corps. However, I ask that if you will not be needing the service of Lieutenant General Bragg, that he be sent to Richmond to act as my military adviser and to command the forces around this area.

May God be with us in our hour of need.

I am, your friend,
Jefferson Davis

[ATTACH]3095[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]3096[/ATTACH]

October 28, 1862
HQ, Army of the West
Fort Smith, Arkansas

Mr. President-
General VanDorn's Corps is here with me in Fort Smith, about 150 miles upriver of Little Rock with some 8,500 men. General Smith's Corps is currently in Malvern, Arkansas about 50 miles south of Little Rock with 8,100 men. General Price remains in Fayetteville and commands about 6,500 men. In total, I have less then 25,000 men under my command.

If we are to retake Little Rock and drive the Federals back into Missouri, I will need at least twice the number of men I currently have. I am unsure if Governor Rector will be able to provide the number of troops that we need. Perhaps the Governors of Texas, Louisiana, and Mississippi can be asked to furnish enough new regiments to increase the manpower in this department.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Sincerely-
J.E. Johnston, General

[ATTACH]3097[/ATTACH]

October 30, 1862
Manassas, Virginia

To: Honorable Secretary of War George W. Randolph

Mr. Secretary-
In accordance with our last correspondence, I deemed the weather too poor to undertake an offensive campaign into the north. I feel that by remaining on the defensive, for at least the short term, we will be able to inflict much more damage upon the Federals then they upon us.

I understand that General Bragg will be arriving in Richmond soon to take command of the units there. He is a fine training officer and should prove most valuable in that role.

General A.P. Hill is at Harpers Ferry, and I have advised him to make winter quarters there. There is news that the Army of the Potomac is close by, and I feel most confident that General Stuart will notify me if they advance again towards our positions. God go with us.

R.E. Lee, General

[ATTACH]3098[/ATTACH]

OBJECTIVES REPORT, NOVEMBER 1, 1862

[ATTACH]3099[/ATTACH]

Attachments
11 1 62 objectives.jpg
11 1 62 East orders.jpg
11 1 62 TM orders.jpg
11 1 62 West orders.jpg
10 23 62 Jackson battle.jpg

captainmatt
Sergeant

Early November Turn

Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:06 am

November 15, 1862
Manassas, Virginia

To: Secretary of War George W. Randolph

Mr. Secretary-
I was saddened to hear of your resignation from the office of Secretary of War. It is my opinion that you have performed valuable service to your country and it is my hope that you find continued success in your new position. Please pass this note onto Mr. Seddon, whom I understand will be taking the post.

This army has, again won a great victory over the enemy. It was mostly due to the quickness and speed of General Jackson's Corps that this army was able to check the advance of the Federals and General McClellan. His steady leadership and coolness in battle is an inspiration to every man in this army. It was only through his quick direction of General Walker's Division that prevented this army from being divided. General Jackson has performed great service, and it is with enthusiasm that I recommend his promotion to Lieutenant General.

As it stands now, my plan is to maintain the integrity of the army by keeping it as immobile as possible. I believe that, based on current circumstances, that the army will be able to take to the offense in the spring.

R.E. Lee, General

[ATTACH]3117[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]3118[/ATTACH]

November 15, 1862
HQ, Army of Florida
Jacksonville, Florida

To: General Samuel Cooper, Adjutant General

General-
In reply to your letter of the 7th instant, my current command strength numbers about 3,000 effectives. A force under General Parke recently captured Palatka, and then advanced north to my position here. I am unsure of his total force strength, but I am almost certain his force outnumbers mine. I have written to Governor Milton as to the availability of more forces to reinforce my command, but has so far, heard nothing. What are your orders?

Signed-
J.M. Major, Brigadier General

[ATTACH]3119[/ATTACH]

November 15, 1862
HQ, Army of the West
Fort Smith, Arkansas

Mr. President-
Commander Brown of the Confederate Navy has written to me and sent notice that the Federals have abandoned the city of Little Rock. I am unsure as to why the Yankees would leave that place, but I am wasting no time moving both of my Corps to that location immediately. It is my firm belief that if my commands are able to move quick enough, that we can gain the initiative over the enemy and retake Little Rock.

Signed-
J.E. Johnston, General

[ATTACH]3120[/ATTACH]

November 15, 1862
HQ, Army of Mississippi
Nashville, Tennessee

To: President Jefferson Davis,
Richmond, Virginia

Mr. President-
Actions by the enemy have made it necessary for me to dispatch my two Corps in separate directions. General Beauregard is heading south to assist General Hardee's Corps and General Breckenridge is heading north towards Clarksville in an attempt to disrupt the enemy's supply train.

Hardee reports to me that there are now two large Federal forces in Eastern Tennessee, one at Knoxville under the command of General Halleck, and another large Corps sized element under the command of General Buell about 80 miles north of that, just south of Sparta.

I am of the hope that Hardee and Beauregard can defeat this enemy, but any other forces that can be sent to assist them would be most welcome. I will send you news as soon as I receive it.

I remain, your friend,
A.S. Johnston

[ATTACH]3121[/ATTACH]

Attachments
11 15 62 west orders.jpg
11 15 62 TM orders.jpg
11 15 62 Florida.jpg
11 15 62 East orders.jpg
11 1 62 Manassas battle.jpg

captainmatt
Sergeant

Early December Turn

Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:48 pm

November 25, 1862
HQ, Hardee's Corps
Chattanooga, Tennessee

To: General A.S. Johnston, commanding
Army of Mississippi, Nashville, TN

General Johnston-
I have been in contact with General Beauregard's Corps which is now moving south and west toward the northern banks of the Tennessee River, which he hopes to cross sometime next week. His support will be most crucial if we are to hold this city and deny it to the enemy.

There are still two large Federal forces in the area, one under General Buell and the other under General Halleck. I estimate Halleck's forces to be about 30,000 men, and Buell to be somewhat smaller at around 22,000 men. Our forces will be about even with the arrival of Gen'rl Beauregard's Corps.

I have read news of General Breckenridge's victory over the Federals near Clarksville. We are all hopeful of continued success against the enemy in that area of the south.

Your obedient servant-
William J. Hardee, Major General

[ATTACH]3124[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]3126[/ATTACH]

December 1, 1862
Manassas, Virginia

To: Secretary of War James Seddon

Mr. Secretary-
The additions of Cobb and Semmes' brigades will be most helpful in the upcoming spring campaign season. If any additional supply wagons can be spared, it would do much to improve the morale of the men. Many of them have already begun to build winter quarters to get out of the poor weather, and I myself have found a nice residence nearby. I am holding a council of war later this month with Generals Longstreet, Jackson, D.H. Hill, and Stuart. I am in hopes that a good strategy can be developed to take the offense in the spring. Please let me know what comes of your meeting with the President.

Your humble and obedient servant ,
R.E. Lee, General

[ATTACH]3127[/ATTACH]

December 1, 1862
HQ, VanDorn's Corps
Little Rock, Arkansas

Sir,
Little Rock is securely in our hands, and without a fight of any kind. Commander Brown was most correct in his assessment of enemy positions here, and all credit should be given to him for discovering it. General Smith is only a few days march to the south and is on his way to this place.

There is still report of Federal forces in Eastern Arkansas, and I am sending a cavalry detachment that way to scout the area and attempt to ascertain their location. Do you have any further orders?

Respectfully-
E. VanDorn, Lieutenant General

[ATTACH]3130[/ATTACH]

GENERAL SENIORITY

[ATTACH]3129[/ATTACH]

Attachments
12 1 62 TM orders.jpg
12 1 62 Seniority.jpg
12 1 62 East orders.jpg
12 1 62 Chattanooga orders.jpg
11 20 62 Clarksville battle.jpg

captainmatt
Sergeant

Early December Turn

Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:26 am

December 12, 1862
Manassas, Virginia

Mr. Secretary-
The Federals once again attacked this command and failed to gain any advantage. My loss is estimated at about 1,000 men while the enemy lost more then five times that number. With the sever weather continuing in the area, I fail to see how the Federals can maintain their army in fighting condition for very long. I will send a more detailed description of the recent fight to your office as soon as I have received reports from my commanders.

Your obedient servant-
R.E. Lee, General

[ATTACH]3142[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]3144[/ATTACH]

December 14, 1862
HQ, Beauregard's Corps
Jackson, Alabama

To: General A.S. Johnston

My dear General-
My Corps has this morning engaged in a fight with General Buell's forces near this place. Our numbers appeared to be even going into the fight, but from the conduct of the enemy, it appears their loss was heavier then ours. We are continuing our march towards Chattanooga to relieve General Hardee and am hopeful that we can launch an attack that will drive the Federal forces back north where you and General Breckenridge can defeat them.

Most Respectfully-
P.G.T. Beauregard

[ATTACH]3143[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]3145[/ATTACH]
December 15, 1862
HQ, Smith's Corps
Little Rock, Arkansas

To; General J. Johnston

Sir-
In accordance with your instructions, my two divisions under McColluch and Waite will be moving at once down the river and towards Helena in an attempt to block any further Yankee incursions down the Mississippi. I shall make a more detailed report to you upon our arrival, somewhere around the 26th of this month.

Respectfully yours-

[ATTACH]3146[/ATTACH]

Attachments
12 15 62 TM orders.jpg
12 15 62 West orders.jpg
12 15 62 East orders.jpg
12 14 62 Battle of Jackson AL.jpg
12 11 62 Battle of Manassas.jpg

captainmatt
Sergeant

Late December Results

Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:49 pm

REINFORCEMENTS SCREEN

[ATTACH]3155[/ATTACH]

============================================================
January 1, 1863
Manassas,, Virginia

To: Major General Daniel H. Hill

General-
Move your Corps with all possible speed to Winchester, Virginia and prepare to defend the Shenandoah Valley from a large Federal force currently in the region of Loudon, Virginia under the command of General Butler. Coordinate your defense with Brigadier General A.P. Hill who is now in command at Harper's Ferry. If necessary, you have my authority to place his division under your direct command. Please make regular reports to this Headquarters of your progress and the enemy's movements. General Stuart's cavalry should prove most useful in scouting and blocking some of the movements of the enemy. I have full faith and confidence in your abilities to keep the valley safe. May God go with you.

Signed-
R.E. Lee, General, commanding

[ATTACH]3156[/ATTACH]

=========================================================
January 1, 1863
HQ, Hardee's Corps
Chattanooga, Tennessee

To: General Albert S. Johnston

General-
It is with great confidence that I write to you this afternoon. General Beauregard has at last arrived here, and was able to scout the Federal positions as he arrived. This afternoon, we will both be deploying our Corps outside the city and attempt to push the Federals out. Brigadier General Morgan is currently south of our position and has agreed to rendezvous with my command soon. Can General Forrest be spared and sent to this place to assist in following the enemy upon their retreat? Please advise.

Sincerely-

[ATTACH]3157[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]3159[/ATTACH]

January 1, 1863
HQ, Cleburne's Brigade
Memphis, Tennessee

To: Major General G.W. Smith, Helena, Arkansas

General Smith-
Recent reconnaissance indicates that there are now at least four Federal division within 100 miles of Memphis, and they are in all different directions. General Sherman has a division north of here on the west bank of the Mississippi River near Osceola. General Thomas has two divisions about 50 miles south of here near Panola, Mississippi. General Pope has a division Northwest of here at Humboldt. General Banks is West of Madison, Arkansas with a force of unknown size.
General Walker and I are here in Memphis with, perhaps, 5,000 men and several good batteries of artillery. General Hindman is in Grenada, Mississippi with his division of about 7,000 men. Your corps of 12,000 men is the largest and most organized force in the area in Helena.
At this point, I am unsure as to what our next move against the enemy should be. I am aware of significant numbers of reinforcements that will be arriving within the next month from Mississippi, Arkansas, Louisiana, and Tennessee, but is there a possibility of taking the offense before then? Please advise General Joe Johnston of the situation and seek his advice. I will do the same to General Albert Johnston. There is a definite need for a combined command in this area, and I feel that you should lead it, though that decision is not up to me. I look forward to hearing from you.

Your servant-
Patrick Cleburne, Brigadier General

[ATTACH]3158[/ATTACH]

=========================================================
Attachments
1 1 63 Upper Miss orders.jpg
1 1 63 Lower Miss orders.jpg
1 1 63 West orders.jpg
1 1 63 East orders.jpg
12 15 62 reinforcements.jpg

captainmatt
Sergeant

Early January Turn

Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:33 pm

January 15, 1863
HQ, Hardee's Corps
Chattanooga, Tennessee

General-
General Beauregard and I were unable, due to extremely harsh weather, to attack the enemy. However, I am confident of a break in the weather soon. However, the roads are still in very poor condition and it might be some time until we can resume the offensive. I am in hopes that the movement of General Breckenridge and General Forrest to their new positions proves beneficial to the war here in Tennessee.

I am relieved to know that you will be moving your HQ closer to our location here. The delivery time for messages during this time of year always seems to take longer then they should. I look forward to hearing from you soon, sir.

Most Respectfully-

[ATTACH]3165[/ATTACH]

January 15, 1863
HQ, Smith's Corps
Helena, Arkansas

Sir-
In accordance with your instructions, I am proceeding to cross the Mississippi River with my command and head for Panola, Mississippi. Brigadier General Hindman and Brigadier General Cleburne will also move that direction with the intent of engaging and destroying General Thomas' two divisions under Nelson and Johnson.

From there, I am planning on moving north to either support General Breckenridge (currently moving towards Corinth), or move to engage General Sherman who is currently on the West bank of the Mississippi. Please advise with any further directives that you may have.

Your obedient servant-

[ATTACH]3166[/ATTACH]

January 15, 1862
HQ, D.H. Hill's Corps
Winchester, Virginia

To: General R.E. Lee

General-
In accordance with your instructions, I am moving my command north towards Harpers Ferry to engage the Federal force there under the command of General Butler. General Stuart's Division will take the lead, followed by General Ewell, General Bonham, and finally General Johnson. I am hoping to arrive and assist General A.P. Hill within a week.
Based on initial reports, I believe that we outnumber the Federals some 2 to 1, but I will not be certain until General Stuart returns with his report. I shall keep you informed as to my progress.

Your humble servant-
Daniel Harvey Hill, Major General

[ATTACH]3167[/ATTACH]

January 15, 1862
HQ, Major's Division
St. Augustine, Florida

To: General Samuel Cooper

Sir-
It is with great pleasure that I report to you the recapture of this city from the Federals. I feel certain that my command, in coordination with Perry's brigade, can keep the Federals from entering this part of Florida in force again.

Most Respectfully-
J. Major, Brigadier General

[ATTACH]3168[/ATTACH]

Attachments
1 15 63 Florida orders.jpg
1 15 63 East orders.jpg
1 15 63 West Tennessee orders.jpg

captainmatt
Sergeant

Late January Turn Run

Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:43 am

January 24, 1863
HQ, Breckenridge's Corps
Cornith, Mississippi

Sir-
I wish to report a victory over the Federal Army was won here yesterday. The enemy, commanded by General John Pope, numbered about 40,000 men. They attacked very early on in the morning, and although my command had just arrived in the area and was quite spread out, my commanders quickly consolidated their forces and held their positions with great skill and determination.

Both General William Loring and General Bushrod Johnson are to be commended for their role in yesterday's action. This command only numbered about 25,000 men entering the fight, but the men gave much better then they got. My casualties are about 2,500 men while the enemy lost some 6,000.

Can General Hindman or General Cleburne be sent to my command as reinforcements? I urgently await your reply.

Your obedient servant-
J.C. Breckenridge

[ATTACH]3169[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]3172[/ATTACH]

January 28, 1863
HQ, ANV
Manassas, Virginia

Mr. Secretary-
Major General D.H. Hill won a victory over the Federals a few days ago near Harpers Ferry. Unfortunately, he and his command had to retire back to Winchester. Despite this, I feel that now is the time to press forward against the enemy. The Federals are now spread out across a wide area of Northern Virginia, and I feel that it is imperative that we strike fast and hard against them.

As such, I am ordering General Hill back to Harpers Ferry, this time with added reinforcements. General Jackson will proceed to Loudon, and General Longstreet will advance upon Alexandria. All commanders have the necessary authority to engage and destroy the enemy as needed.

I pray that God will grant us the victory, and that we will yet prosper over the enemy.

R.E. Lee, General

[ATTACH]3170[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]3171[/ATTACH]

February 1, 1863
HQ, G.W. Smith's Corps
Austin, Mississippi

Sir-
My command, along with General Hindman's Division and General Cleburne's Division are advancing towards Oxford to engage the enemy forces there under General Thomas. I will send word as soon as we are engaged.

Respectfully-

[ATTACH]3173[/ATTACH]

Attachments
2 1 63 West Tennessee orders.jpg
2 1 63 Chattanooga orders.jpg
2 1 63 East orders.jpg
1 24 63 Harpers Ferry battle.jpg
1 23 63 Corinth battle.jpg

captainmatt
Sergeant

One week pause

Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:36 am

Hey all-

I'm off to Gettysburg so the AAR will be taking a week off. Thanks to all those who have followed it so far.

- Capt. Matt

captainmatt
Sergeant

Early February Results

Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:21 pm

February 10, 1863
HQ, D.H. Hill's Corps
Outside Harpers Ferry, VA

General-
General A.P. Hill's garrison was virtually destroyed last week. My command moved here from Winchester and defeated the enemy, but they are still in close proximity inside Harpers Ferry and may again resume the offensive. What are your orders?

Your servant-
Daniel H. Hill, Major General

[ATTACH]3259[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]3261[/ATTACH]

February 10, 1863
HQ, Longstreet's Corps
Alexandria, Virginia

General-
I have the honor to report to you that I am writing to you from the front parlor of your home in Arlington. My command successfully took this place from the Yankee's a few days ago, but has not yet pushed across the Potomac per your orders. General Jackson writes that he is in Loudon, and I believe that General D.H. Hill is near Harpers Ferry. The Federal Army, it appears, is spread out. Perhaps this is a good time to concentrate the army near the enemy capitol. What are your orders sir?

Most Respectfully-
James Longstreet, Lieutenant General

[ATTACH]3260[/ATTACH]

February 15, 1863
Manassas, Virginia

To: All Corps Commanders, ANV

Gentlemen-
The time has come to move upon Washington DC. General Longstreet with his four divisions is to cross the Potomac opposite the capitol and begin a siege. General Jackson with his four divisions will cross the Potomac above the enemy capitol and drive through Montgomery county towards Washington. Upon his arrival, all eight divisions are to assault the capitol and capture it. If possible, try to take as prisoners any member of the enemy government to include the Executive and Legislative branch members. The enemy capitol is not to be looted or torched, unless deemed a military necessity. General Hill will maintain his position in Harpers Ferry and defend his position there, unless confronted by superior numbers. All commands please acknowledge receipt of these orders.

Signed-
R.E. Lee, General, commanding

[ATTACH]3262[/ATTACH]

February 15, 1863
HQ, Breckenridge's Division, Army of Mississippi
Corinth, Mississippi

To: General A.S. Johnston

Sir-
In coordination with General Smith's Corps under General J.E. Johnston, we are moving North into Tennessee to intercept the command of General Pope and block any further southern movement by him and his force. Between our two commands, we have six well trained divisions. However, any additional forces you can send to this region would be most welcome.

Your humble servant-
J.C. Breckenridge, Major General

[ATTACH]3264[/ATTACH]

Attachments
2 15 63 West orders.jpg
2 15 63 East orders.jpg
2 9 63 Harpers Ferry battle.jpg
2 7 63 Alexandria battle.jpg
2 1 63 Harpers Ferry battle.jpg

captainmatt
Sergeant

Late February Turn

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:58 am

March 1, 1863
Manassas, Virginia

Mr. Secretary-
I have the honor to report to you the capture of the Federal capitol of Washington DC. Generals Longstreet and Jackson, with their divisions, are to be given full credit for this great victory. Several members of the US Congress have been taken prisoner, and many important papers have also been seized from the US War Department. I shall forward them to you as soon as I can.

General Jackson is of the belief that the enemy is defeated and should be aggressively perused northwards towards Annapolis and Baltimore. As such, I have left General Longstreet in charge in the Washington area and have ordered General Jackson to continue moving northwards, with General Longstreet to follow in a few weeks once his command has been reorganized.
Once General Longstreet leaves the area, I am of the opinion that General Magruder should be given the command of the Washington DC garrison with a promotion to Major General. Please let me know if you believe another officer should be given this command.

I am, your obedient servant-
R.E. Lee, General

[ATTACH]3270[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]3271[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]3272[/ATTACH]

March 1, 1863
HQ, G.W. Smith's Corps
Bolivar, Tennessee

Sir-
My command has arrived in the area of Bolivar, Tennessee with my four divisions of Hindman, McColloch, Cleburne, and Waite. I am awaiting the arrival Genr'l Breckenridge's Corps from the Southeast and McNair's brigade from the West. With their arrival, we should have a total of about 50,000 men. Our last reports indicate that General Pope had about 42,000 effectives. It is my hope that we can drive him out of Tennessee.

Your obedient servant-

[ATTACH]3273[/ATTACH]

OBJECTIVES REPORT MARCH, 1863

[ATTACH]3274[/ATTACH]

Attachments
3 1 63 objectives.jpg
3 1 63 West orders.jpg
3 1 63 East orders.jpg
2 29 63 Washington battle.jpg
2 28 63 Washington battle.jpg

captainmatt
Sergeant

Early March Results

Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:30 pm

March 4, 1863
War Department,
Richmond, Virginia

To: Major General R.H. Anderson, Washington DC

Sir-
Congratulations on your promotion to the rank of Major General in the Provisional Army of the Confederate States of America. You are hereby notified of your transfer to the Army of the West currently located at Memphis, Tennessee under to command of General Joseph E. Johnston. Report to him for your command immediately.

Respectfully-
James Seddon, Secretary of War

March 14, 1863
HQ, Jackson's Corps
Annapolis, Maryland

Sir-

Two days go my Corps secured the capitol of Maryland from the Federals. The force defending this city was commanded by General Doubleday, who was defeated in a sharp engagement fought two days ago.

Our casualties were about 3,000 killed and wounded while the enemy suffered double those numbers. Also, my command was able to capture 1,000 enemy rifles, as well as heavy shore battery guns which will remain here as part of the garrison. I have appointed Brigadier General Taliaferro as military governor and have given him command of the garrison here that numbers about 10,000 men.

I will be taking my command north towards Baltimore, per your instructions of on the 1st. I believe that General Longstreet will be following soon, and that General Stuart's cavalry will be to our West in an attempt to block General McClellan's Army from interfering here. If you have any further orders, please send them immediately to this place as we will be moving in the next 12 hours.

I am, your humble servant,
Thomas J. Jackson, Lieutenant General

[ATTACH]3352[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]3353[/ATTACH]

March 15, 1863
HQ, Army of Mississippi
Pulaski, Tennessee

To: Gen. P.G.T. Beauregard

Sir-
Move with your command, and General Hardee's command as quickly as possible to the area near Winchester, Tennessee. Brigadier General Buckner will meet you there with supplies to reinforce your command.

In addition, General Breckinridge's Corps is moving with all possible speed to Stevenson, Alabama, and should be arriving there sometime in early April with his three divisions. General J. Johnston's HQ has been moved to Memphis, and his command will now be responsible for defending Western Tennessee, from the White River in Arkansas to the Tennessee River.

Please advise when you reach Winchester.

Respectfully-
A.S. Johnston, commanding

[ATTACH]3355[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]3354[/ATTACH]

Attachments
3 15 63 West orders.jpg
3 15 63 Miss orders.jpg
3 15 63 East orders.jpg
3 12 63 Annapolis Battle.jpg

captainmatt
Sergeant

Late March Results

Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:52 pm

March 30, 1863
HQ, Jackson's Corps
Baltimore, Maryland

Sir-
With the aid of General Longstreet's Corps, our forces soundly defeated the enemy defending Baltimore under the command of General Butler. Between General Longstreet's command and my own, our forces numbered some 65,000 men against a much weaker enemy, perhaps only 20,000 or so. In the fine traditions of this army, our brave men carried the day and drove the enemy north towards Harve-de-Grace.
The rest of General Longstreet's command is advancing towards my position and should be here tomorrow. We took some 1,000 enemy prisoners and captured over 3,000 rifles, in addition to supply and ammunition wagons. Has there been any word from General Stuart on the movement of the Army of the Potomac. I find it most baffling that General McClellan would let three large cities be taken by us and not respond.
I plan to rest and refit my command here for the next few weeks. If Gen'rl McClellan still does not move, then we should leave a token force here to garrison Eastern Maryland and move to destroy his army.

Your obedient servant-
T.J. Jackson

[ATTACH]3359[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]3360[/ATTACH]

April 1, 1863
HQ, Army of the West
Memphis, Tennessee

Sir-
My two Corps, under Generals G.W. Smith, and General R. Anderson are now taking position north of Humbolt, Tennessee. Union General J.C. Davis has a force of unknown size near Island No.10 while General Pope's Army seems to have moved to North of Fort Donelson where the Tennessee and Cumberland rivers diverge. General Forrest is near there with his command and has instructions to report both to myself and to General A.P. Stewart in Nashville should General Pope advance by either river or on land.
I propose that, once the Army of Mississippi drives the Federals away from Chattanooga, that both our armies launch a simultaneous assault into Kentucky. I would advance up the Mississippi River, secure Cairo, then move up the Ohio and meet the Army of Mississippi at Louisville. They would advance up through Bowling Green and Munfordville. This is, of course, assuming the Federals do not have a major offensive of their own planned, and also assumes that the Federal position so deep inside East Tennessee at Knoxville will make their positions untenable.
I look forward to discussing these options with you.

I am, respectfully-
General J.E. Johnston, commanding
Army of the West

[ATTACH]3361[/ATTACH]

April 1, 1863
HQ, Army of Mississippi
Pulaski, Tennessee

To: General J.C. Breckinridge

Sir-
Move your Corps to Mason County, Alabama southwest of Chattanooga. From there, you will position your Corps to make an attack on the Federal army near Chattanooga in coordination with General Beauregard and myself who will be advancing from Winchester, Tennessee. Please advise how long you anticipate this movement will take.

Rspectfully,
A.S. Johnston

[ATTACH]3362[/ATTACH]

Attachments
3 15 63 West orders.jpg
4 1 63 Miss orders.jpg
4 1 63 east orders.jpg

captainmatt
Sergeant

AAR Update and roundup

Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:31 am

Hey all-

I have now covered over 1 complete game year with my AAR!

In that time, I have taken Nashville, Washington DC, and Baltimore while holding Memphis, New Orleans, Savannah, Wilmington, Richmond, Mobile, Atlanta, anc Charleston. I would call it a very successful run.

That being said, I now will update the game to 1.10d and will not be continuing my AAR after the update.

I think I will try to do another AAR of this style in a few weeks, and I may even try to do it from the Yankee point of view.

I hope all of you have enjoyed reading the AAR as much as I have developing it.

- Captain Matt

Jabberwock

Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:09 am

captainmatt wrote:I hope all of you have enjoyed reading the AAR as much as I have developing it.

Indeed. Great setup for the breakthrough in the East. Congratulations!
[color="DimGray"] You deserve to be spanked[/color]

Widell
Conscript

Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:35 am

Great AAR! Looking forward to the next one already!

Drambuie
Corporal

Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:57 am

Must just add my own congratulations - great read and thanks for all the work on it.

phandukto
Conscript

Great Job

Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:48 am

Excellent AAR. Love the style and interesting outcome. Keep it up - looking forward to one from the Yankee point of view.

marecone

Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:57 pm

Fantastic AAR :coeurs: . Keep up the good work
Forrest said something about killing a Yankee for each of his horses that they shot. In the last days of the war, Forrest had killed 30 of the enemy and had 30 horses shot from under him. In a brief but savage conflict, a Yankee soldier "saw glory for himself" with an opportunity to kill the famous Confederate General... Forrest killed the fellow. Making 31 Yankees personally killed, and 30 horses lost...

He remarked, "I ended the war a horse ahead."

Injun
Lieutenant

Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:36 am

Captainmatt,
Grerat AAR! The style was great and enjoyable to read, like reading from somwe historical archive. I was thinking of doing an AAR from diary entries of a secretary of the president with his personal contacts from the various departments.

Return to “American Civil War AARs”