Varigg
Conscript

The Coming Fury - Union AAR for the demo scenario

Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:09 am

I only have the demo right now, but I've already spend more time with it then some full games I bought. I guess I have to buy it now, thanks alot AGEod!
I will write this from the perspective of someone new to the game (which I am), documenting all my moves (well, most) and the thoughts that went into them both regarding the interface as well as the strategy. I hope that by doing this, the report can serve as something like a tutorial for players new to the game. While the tutorials in the demo are excellent at teaching you the basics, they don't give you the big picture and it took me a dozen restarts and a couple days of forum and wiki reading to even get to the point where I am now. Ok, here we go:

Turn 1
Objectives ([F9]):
My objectives in this scenario are to defeat the Confederate Army in the East, capture Forts Henry and Donelson and blockade southern ports. I'm not sure how achieving those objectives translates into Victory Points but I know that capturing objective cities gives me VP. Currently we both have 50 but the South gets a lot more points from cities each turn then I do. Going through the list I find a couple that sound doable in the short term.
Norfolk: I have intelligence on it due to neighboring Ft. Monroe and its not to far away by ship. If I can draw its garrison out I might have a reasonable chance of a successful seaborne invasion. Maybe threatening Richmond will do the trick.
Richmond: All I have to do is smash the Confederate army and take Manassas and Fredericksburg. ;) But even if I don't take it, it should draw forces away from Norfolk and give me an opening there.
Nashville: Only a short hop from Bowling Greene, but behind a river. Now I see why I should take Forts Henry & Donelson.
Memphis: Deeper behind the lines but still reachable before the winter. Capturing Island 10 would be helpful to open it up from the river as well.

Politics
([F8]):
I don't see a reason to move my capitol. The other option (Total Blockade) deals with affecting Foreign Intervention. Currently its at 6, so I don't see a reason to do anything. However the first choice says I will gain $50.000, 15 VP and 1 NM. That seems worth risking a slight increase in foreign intervention possibility.

Loyalties ([F7]):
Average Loyalty in Texas is 7% with the highest 50%. Instituting Martial Law will bound Loyalty between 30 and 70 percent. That seems a reasonable choice until those Texans get to know me better. Everything else looks fine.

Economics
([F6]):
Hmm. At the bottom it says Planned Balance: ...., -15 Victory Points, -1 NM. Did I misread the Total Blockade? No, it says 'gain' 15 VP and 1 NM. Might be a typo so I guess I remove my signature to be safe.
Judging by the info in the top panel my bottleneck is manpower, not supplies, so I probably don't have to worry about Industrialization. Still, Wisconsin and Delaware only need small investments and have very good potential, so I authorize the funds for it. Transport Capacity is likely to be of very high importance, so I order 20 additional locomotives and 10 river transports.

Financial ([F5]):
All measure are dependent on my VP total and decrease either moral or VPs. I better wait until I'm really sure I need that extra money.

Drafts ([F4]):
Mobilization costs VP and NM. I'm not prepared to pay that price yet. Besides we're only facing a bunch of Rebels, so this is going to be a pretty short war in any case. But I will call for Volunteers (not paying a bounty though).

Land Forces (cycle with [E]/[R])
In the East:
My main objective here is to throw the Confederate Army back and march towards Richmond. And the Northeastern Virginia Army under General McDowell is just the army to do it.
First I'll reorganize the command structure. I drop all stacks onto McDowells army and dissolve all Divisions. Then I create 3 new divisions under Tyler, Miles and Hunter. Each gets 4 Artillery, 1 Cavalry and 9 Infantry Regiment, leaving me with 1 regiment of Marines, 1 Cavalry, 1 Militia and a Light Infantry Brigade.
I give Hunter a Balloon Regiment and a Supply Wagon and send him by rail to Frederick. The main force of the CSA is in Manassas and it's rather unlikely that they will maneuver that wide, but from there I will threaten Harpers Ferry and at least force them to protect it.
I also put T. Runyon in command of Miles Division, eliminating the CP penalty and move it to Montgomery. The most likely maneuver for the CSA is Loudon to Montgomery to flank my Army and threaten Washington. Since they have to cross the river, a defense in Montgomery is going to be more effective and Loudon doesn't seem to have any great strategic value right now. If I send a supply wagon in the stack it will take 10 days, but if I send them separately it takes 5 days for the stack and 7 for the wagon. Hmm, I'd rather be there early and start entrenching, so I will send them separately. The rest of the army stays put to protect the direct approach to Washington
I will also send the 3 groups of Pattersons command to the 3 regions south of him, so I can start getting military control there to secure the rail line going east-west.

In the West:
I don't have much to work with. I move Summers to Quincy (takes exactly 15 days by rail). Next turn I will move him to either St. Louis or Lexington. I split my Cavalry forces in Lexington and send 1 regiment south and 1 southeast to lift the Fog of War around Springfield. I also send the California Command east toward Lexington, the Garrison there should be enough.

Navy (cycle with [T]/[Y])
I send the USS Saint Louis to the Gulf of Mexico. The USS Brooklyn already there is currently in Defensive stance. I'm not sure whether that affects the blockade, but I'll switch it to offensive. I move the New England fleet to the Atlantic Shipping box, but I detach the NE Squadron (since it contains Blockade Ships) and move it to the Atlantic Blockade box. It's not clear to me whether a Squadron with 4 elements is as effective as 4 single ships there, but I can always move more ships there later. I also move my River boats out onto the rivers where they can block Rebel crossings.

Replacements ([F3]):
I don't expect much fighting so I raise 5 each for Line Infantry and Militia and 1 or 2 for each other type.

Reinforcements ([F2]):
I raise about 10 militia, mainly in the West, to protect the first line of cities behind the front. I also raise 12 Infantry brigades equally divided between East and West, including 2 brigades with sharpshooters from PA to bring Runyons and Hunters Divisions to full strength. I add 2 Cavalry regiments in the East to deal with raids, 4 Sharpshooters for scouting and other stuff and 10 Artillery, including 2 Siege Guns in the East to bring with me to Richmond.

Planned Balance: 28k Dollar, 16 Conscript Companies, 80 ton of War supplies.

Time to hit the End Turn button.

Varigg
Conscript

Turn 2

Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:24 am

Turn 2

Events :
A big battle in Montgomery. D. Miles held its own admirably against Beauregards Army, which was almost twice the size of his division. Both sides lost around 2000 men before Runyon ordered a retreat to Washington. As it turns out I was a bit overconfident when estimating replacement needs, and the cavalry and artillery elements in the division could not be reinforced sufficiently.
In Moore, WV Pattersons forward elements consisting of 2 Light Infantry Brigades ran into a CSA force under Johnston and suffered heavy losses. Johnston was able to retreat west to Morgan before Patterson arrived with the 6th Bridage.
We also won a minor naval engagement in Hampton Roads.
There are quite a bit of other events happening this turn that give me additional conscripts and war supplies, even a number of Volunteer brigades! I also get additional commanders and ships. One event requires me to move into Virginia this turn or lose 10 National Morale, ouch.

Objectives:
Interestingly, the CSA actually lost quite a bit of VP (current score 86 - 17). Could they have spend it all on Financial and Draft measures? I guess I have to keep monitoring the totals every turn.
Hunters Division is just a week outside Harpers Ferry, which is still unguarded. However if I move there I wont be able to relieve Miles' understrength division. On the other hand, if I take it and Leesburg, Beauregard is cut off from supply. I think that will be worth a try.
In the west the South is besieging Bowling Greene. Unfortunately I dont have anything to relieve them with right now. One of my KY Militia regiments got raised there, so I hope that together with the Bowling Green Militia they will be able to hold out a little while longer.
There seems to be some cavalry moving up to Paducah, so I will need to send some more forces down there as well. I need it as a bridgehead for my planned offensive towards Memphis.
The far west is uneventful, S. Price's Division hasn't moved from Jefferson City and there are a couple brigades in Springfield, but my Detection Rating is only 2 so I can't get more info. (Question: is it possible to get info on the stacks behind the topmost enemy stack?)

Replacements:
This was a serious miscalculation, so I will tackle it first. I have 1 regiment left in Line Infantry, Militia and Field as well as Heavy Artillery. I have to get it back up to 10% of elements in the field per category (the general recommendation on the forums). The problem is I have only 55 conscript companies left. I guess I have to use the Mobilization option as well as some of the financial measures to get the required funds. I go for Partial Mobilization and Exceptional Taxes, costing me 6 NM, 25 VP and an inflation of 1%. But it nets 560 conscript companies and $440.000. After I increase my reserves sufficiently (10% of max everywhere except HQ, Supply, Naval Eng. and Service Assets, wich Line Inf. and Militia capped at 10 elements) I'm down to $250k and 380 Conscript companies.

Politics:
No change.

Loyalties:
No change.

Economics:
I leave my industrialization investments and will reevaluate my transport needs once I have issued all my move orders.
At the end of my turn it looks like my river capacity is very limited so I'm going to order 10 more transport.

Financial:
Exceptional Taxes, due to my reinforcement needs. $440k at the cost of 2NM and 1% increase in inflation.

Drafts:
Partial Mobilization, due to my replacement needs. 560 conscript points at the cost of 4NM and 25VP.

Land Forces
In the East:
I will leave Miles' Division in Washington this turn to draw more replacements. Hunters Division will move towards Harpers Ferry, which is currently unguarded. McDowell is active this turn so I will take the chance and try to take Manassas which seems to be lightly guarded (Jacksons Division with a power of 124 + 7 other units). I will move there via Loudon in the hopes of defeating the 3 Brigades there and reestablishing Military Control. Should Beauregard turn around, that move could turn out to be a problem.
I will also send Mansfeld and Keyes to join Hunter, so I can break up his division into smaller forces. I noticed that the 1st PA brigade in Franklin, which is fixed for a couple more turns is losing supplies, so I will sent one of my supply wagons there. The rail network in Baltimore is damaged and I will order the Militia there to repair it. Any additional units that became available this turn are sent to Washington.

In the West:
Nathaniel Lyons Command became available this turn in St Louis. It consists of 2 Militia, 1 Infantry and 1 Cavalry Brigade. I detach the Cavalry and form the rest into a Division and send them towards Paducah. The Horses will arrive in 6 days, the main force in 11. I set the divisions stance to offensive, since there will likely be some enemy cavalry there. General Fremont will stay in St. Louis for now. General Summers will move to Lexington and join with my westernmost forces, the 2nd and 3rd US Cav and the former California Command.

Navy:
I try to rearrange ships between the fleets currently in the Atlantic shipping box, but that doesn't seem to be possible. I think I will move 2nd Fleet from NY to Washington to join with 4th Fleet, so that I have enough transport capacity for a possible invasion of Norfolk. Also Admiral Farragut became available with a large fleet and I'm not sure what to do with him. I think I will pull a couple frigates from his command for blockade duty and then sent him to Hampton Roads.

Reinforcements:
Hmm, I have quite a bit of manpower now that I was forced into a mobilization. I think I can safely add about 15 more regiments for now without jeopardizing my replacements pool. So I will get more Line Infantry and Artillery in the west.

Planned Balance:

Time to hit the End Turn button.
Attachments
turn_2_east.JPG

Varigg
Conscript

Turn 3 - Early Agust 1861

Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:25 pm

Turn 3
Events :
So much for plans. Apparently the Northeastern Virginia Army was blocked from moving by enemy forces in Fairfax. However, there was no battle. I dont quite understand how the enemy can block my movements without engaging me? And the Confederate Cavalry doesn't seem to face the same problem, slipping neatly through my forces in Fairfax and Baltimore ending up in Chester, PA. Needless to say that the papers were not pleased.
Jackson seems to have added more soldiers to his forces, his power rating is now slightly higher than the Northeastern Virginia Army.
General Patterson was removed from command and luckily Johnston had left Morgan, WV before the now leaderless 6th Brigade could meet him there. Apparently he was on his way to Franklin, PA were I just resupplied the 1st PA brigade last turn. Despite their heavy entrenchment, he managed to inflict 400 casualties, while only suffering 200 himself.
To top it off, my 2 Militias in Bowling Greene were completely wiped out.
On the positive side, Hunter managed to take Harpers Ferry and Nathaniel Lyons secured the area around Paducah.
Camp Dick Robinson happened, adding more KY units to the force pool and providing some conscripts and war supplies. Also Congress passed the Income Tax law and the Confiscation Act, giving me a nice financial boost. General McClernand becomes available as well as Butlers Command in Ft. Monroe and another HQ gets added to the force pool.

Objectives:
In the East I need to stop the cavalry raid before they tear up my whole rail network. I also need to reinforce the 1st PA brigade in Franklin and engage Johnston. I'm still ahead in VP but that should last only 2 more turns, I will need to take some objectives soon or fall behind. There seems to be only a small detachment left in Norfolk, so I should be able to try a landing there soon.
In the West I need to strengthen Lyons command, so he can start his march on Memphis. Also some Victories would be nice as my National Morale has been dropping and is now at 85.

Land Forces
In the East:
Some reinforcement didn't make it all the way down to Baltimore last turn. I will divert them to Franklin to reinforce the 1st PA brigade. I will also send J. Mansfeld to lead them.
I still don't understand how that 'blocking movement' works but I guess McDowell will stay where he is this turn as well. (I didn't notice this last turn, but apparently when a region turns red after you click on a stack it means that you can't enter this region.) I will leave him in offensive stance though, hoping that he will find whoever is blocking him this turn. Runyon's command is back to full strength and I will send him after Beauregard who moved to Leesburg last turn.

In the West:
E. Summers Command doesn't contain any artillery, so I will leave him in Lexington until the artillery regiment from California arrives next turn. Similarly, Lyons has just 1 artillery but Columbus only has 1 Militia regiment defending it, so an assault should be possible. Charleston seems undefended, so I will send a Militia regiment across the Mississippi to take it.
A number of Cavalry regiments have been moving up to the fronts. They are probably intending to raid, so I will send my own cavalry to intercept them.

Navy:
J. Palmers' command in the Atlantic is at less than half power, so I will send it to Ft. Monroe to resupply.

Economics:
It seems you can never have enough transport capacity, so I will add 20 more trains and 10 river transports.

Replacements:
I got some free replacements for Militia and Infantry this turn, the only thing I need to add this turn is 3 more Cavalry replacements.
Reinforcements:
10 Militia, HQ, 4 Inf., 4 Art
Planned Balance:
121k Dollars, 95 manpower, 89 tons of war supplies

Varigg
Conscript

Turn 4

Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:17 am

Turn 4
Events :
Excellent! McDowell engaged the confederate forces around Alexandria and routed them. He inflicted 4700 casualties, taking 1000 men prisoner while sustaining only 1100 losses of his own. Even more impressive, Runyon and Miles, outnumbered by 4:1, managed to outwit Beauregard in Loudon, VA and inflict 2000 casualties while losing only 300 men of their own before they had to retreat towards Alexandria. In Franklin, the forces under Mansfields command have reduced Johnstons Corps to one tenth of its size. Though he can't possibly have any supplies left, he refuses to surrender.
Last turn Benjamin Butler became available in Ft. Monroe. I had asked him to take Hampton Roads, which he did without encountering any resistance. Also, an Illinois Volunteer Brigade from Cairo managed to cross the Mississippi and take Charleston.
On a not so high note, one Leonidas Polk managed to completely surprise me and take New Albany in one swift stroke. Apparently General McClernand didn't notice anything untoward as he passed through the region on his way to Louisville.

Objectives:
Manassas is still my highest priority objective. I should take Winchester, but I also need to hold on to Harpers Ferry and I'm not sure I have the forces to do both. Norfolk is also still a near-term objective especially since by landing more forces south of Richmond I can threaten it from to sides later on. Columbus needs to fall this turn so I can move on to Humboldt and eventually Memphis. I still have multiple cavalry raids to deal with and there is Polk who needs to be dealt with before he can wreak havoc in my rear. Once that is done I can turn around and march south to retake Bowling Greene and evt. Nashville.
I actually have a lot more VP than I expected, apparently VPs do not just coming from objective cities. I'm assuming that my decisive victories this turn contributed a lot.

Economics:
I will purchase 10 more rail and 5 river transports.
Nothing to be done in the areas of Financial/Loyalties/Politics/Drafts.

Land Forces
In the East:
I will send McDowell with 2 Divisions to take Manassas. E. Keyes will take command of Hunters Division and take Winchester. Meanwhile several replacement regiments will converge on Harpers Ferry and be placed under McClellans command. Mansfield will continue to drive Johnston out of PA. I will also start to assemble a task force in Washington for the amphibious assault of Norfolk.
In the West:
Lyons will assault Columbus. All available units within 2 weeks radius of Jefferson, IN will move there, including General Lewis Wallace who will form them into a fighting force to engage Polk. General Fremont will move to Rolla and General Summers to Jefferson City.

Navy:
I'm still only at 5% blockade efficiency. I think I should follow advice and balance the ships in the blockade boxes. So I'm going to put 3 steam frigates each into the Atlantic and Gulf of Mexico blockade box. I'm gonna rotate some ships out of the Atlantic shipping box and I will use Ft. Monroe as an assembly point point to consolidate all my single ships into fleets.

Replacements:
I'm still good here, I'll add a couple artillery and cavalry.
Reinforcements:
I have only around 100 conscription points left plus anything started now is probably gonna come to late for this scenario.

It is actually getting pretty hard to stop myself and write this analysis. I'd rather just keep on playing. ;)

Pubcrawler
Private

Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:47 pm

Nicely done, Varigg! I'm new to the game also and like to troll the AAR forum for different ways to crush the rebellion. :niark:

You are only using the demo for this AAR? That's what I love about Comp games, try before you buy! Go ahead and pick the game up, well worth it... :coeurs:
"General Grant is a great general. I know him well. He stood by me when I was crazy, and I stood by him when he was drunk; and now, sir, we stand by each other always."

- William Tecumseh Sherman

Varigg
Conscript

Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:11 pm

Pubcrawler wrote:Nicely done, Varigg! I'm new to the game also and like to troll the AAR forum for different ways to crush the rebellion. :niark:

You are only using the demo for this AAR? That's what I love about Comp games, try before you buy! Go ahead and pick the game up, well worth it... :coeurs:

Thanks! Yes, I will definitely pick up the game eventually, but I'm afraid what it will do to my time. Plus I'm feeling sad for for Gears of War and Mass Effect who got pushed aside for a mere demo. ;)

Varigg
Conscript

Turn 5

Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:17 pm

Turn 5
Events :
The last 2 weeks saw the heaviest fighting so far. While McDowell wasn't able to take Manassas he inflicted devastating losses to the southern forces.
Unfortunately his own losses, while far smaller than the Confederates, mean that the NE Virginia Army is in no shape to fight for the coming weeks.
Mansfield successfully destroyed the remnants of Johnston Coprs, earning him a commendation. Promoting him at this point however would probably anger General Burnside who has a higher seniority. Johnston himself managed to flee to Winchester, where he is now besieged by Keyes and Hunters Division.
In the West J. Fremont has reached Rolla, but refuses to besiege the city due to the arrival of General Price and a division of Confederate forces. At least Jefferson City is now open for Summers forces coming from Lexington. Columbus has been taken without significant losses.
Leonidas Polk is on the move again, capturing the town of Rome east of his last position in Harrison, IN.

Objectives:
Manassas is very lightly defended due to the heavy losses McDowell inflicted on its defenders this turn. However I dont think I have sufficient manpower to attack it this turn. The only full strength brigades I have are the newly raised Elite Washington Brigade as well as 2 reinforcement brigades from PA. However that might just be enough to take control of Loudon and secure a straight connection to Harpers Ferry. Winchester needs to be secured as well so I can free up more forces for the march on Mannassas.
In the west I will detach a cavalry regiment from Sumners command to take Jefferson City and have Sumner continue on east towards Rolla.
The next step in Kentucky is probably to take Island 10. There is just to much area I need to secure otherwise if I want to guarantee a supply line down to Memphis.
Wallace now has sufficient forces to chase Polk, but he keeps destroying rail lines behind him, so it might take some time. Unfortunately, until I get rid of him, I wont be able to start my offensive towards Nashville. I have to see if I can come up with additional forces around Louisville.

Economics:
I still need more transport capacity! 20 rail and 10 river this turn.
Financial:

Land Forces
In the East:
I'm detaching an Inf. Brigade from Butlers command to occupy Hampton Roads and move him to William which is undefended. Fitzjohn Porter will be detached from McClellan and goes West. I'll use him in the comming offensive against Bowling Greene and Nashville. J. Hooker will make use of the newly arrived brigades in Alexandria and reestablish military control in neighbouring Loudon. Runyon and Miles I'm sending north to take command of the assembled forces in Washington and start the invasion of Norfolk next turn.
McClellan stays in Harpers Ferry. There are a number of disordered militia units from what was formerly Pattersons command that I will place under his direct control. Hopefully he can shape them back into a cohesive force. I seem to have enough cavalry regiments to chase down remnants of the CSA in the are around Harpers Ferry. Hopefully I will be able to establish a clear front from Winchester to Alexandria, so I can concentrate my forces for a renewed attack on Manassas next turn. I probably wont have more than 3 or 4 turns before winter sets in.

In the West:
Fremont cant be convinced to attack the confederate forces in Rolla. I will use him instead to establish military control in the surrounding areas and use Sumner for an offensive against Rolla itself next turn.
In Columbus I don't have enough men for an attack on Island 10. I will use my militia and light infantry to secure the surround regions, while Lyons and the heavier elements of his command wait for reinforcements. @ Infantry brigades and 1 Artillery regiment should arrive in the next turn. Foote will dock his ships in Columbus so I can begin loading next turn.
Wallace will move southeast and engage Polk, while I move additional troops to Louisville. The only commander available in the area is McClernand, who I'd rather see continuing his recruiting efforts. With the recruiting officer trait he is adding +7 conscript points in Louisville, while his Quickly Angered trait gives him an effective -2 command points. Porter would be a good choice but he needs 2 turns to arrive.

Navy:
Still at 5% with 2 steam frigates each in both blockade boxes. Not all ships have reached Ft. Monroe, so I need to wait till next turn to dispatch more.

Replacements:
I add some more Line Infantry as the 2 divisions of the NE Virgina Army are stil quite a bit in the red.

Reinforcements:
5 More Infantry in the west. Its probably going to be to late for them to make a difference before the end of the scenario but hopefully I can use them to keep my rear secure.
Attachments
manassas2.JPG
manassas1.JPG

Varigg
Conscript

Turn 6

Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:40 pm

Turn 6 - Late September
Events :
Only Minor skirmishes this turn. However, union troops managed to take control of Winchester, Jefferson City, William, Rome, New Albany and Covington.
Kentucky decided against secession and McClellan was appointed Commander in Chief.

Objectives:
In the east I need to consolidate my forces in Alexandria and prevent the south from crossing the Winchester-Alexandria line. Then I should be able to concentrate on Manassas next turn. Also this turn will mark the start of the Norfolk invasion.
In the west I will begin the siege of Island 10 and I will send out independent forces to establish military control in northern Kentucky, focusing especially on regions with rail lines. Fitzjohn Porter will move to Cincinnati and create a new division there. He will then take Lexington and move to Bowling Greene and eventually Nashville. Hopefully I will have enough military control by then that he can use the train the move his troops. Lewis Wallace will continue to chase Leonidas Polk. Sumner will take Rolla and Fremont will take his exhausted troops back to St. Louis.

Land Forces
In the East:
I will leave a small detachment in Harpers Ferry and move McClellan with the rest to Winchester. Mansfield will take his division from Harpers Ferry to Loudon. I still dont have full military control back there and it also puts him in a position to move to Manassas next turn to support McDowell. Keys and Hunter will move from Winchester to Clarke, hopefully deterring any Confederate advances through there and putting them in a position to join the fight for Manassas as well. The NE Virginia army has been reinforced with siege guns and elite brigades, but most of the regiments still haven't regained their full cohesion yet. Next turn I should be ready to take them back to Manassas. As always there are raids to be tended to, so I set my cavalry regiments to offensive and have them chase the raiders.

In the West:
I send a number of Volunteer brigades out from Louisville, Cincinnati and Columbus to establish control in the surrounding regions. Lyons will move to Island 10 in offensive stance. I have noticed that if I remove the supply wagon from his stack, he can get there in 4 days, much faster than using river transport. I'm not sure if I can supply him from the river if the fort is still there, but even so the supply wagons should reach him within 2 turns. He has enough on his own to last him that long. Sumner will move to Rolla, which will take him only 3 turns as Fremont has at least established enough military control to use the rails in the area.

Navy:
4th Fleet is moving out this turn towards Norfolk.

Replacements:
I will need a couple more Line Infantry replacements.

Reinforcements:
Nothing this turn.

Varigg
Conscript

Turn 7

Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:54 pm

Turn 7
Events :
The only noteworthy events this turn are the capture of Rolla and General Grant becoming available in Louisville.
Objectives:
My task force is in place to land in Norfolk this turn. In Alexandria I have close to 3 full divisions ready for the assault on Manassas. Lyons is besieging Island 10, but unfortunately is not able to take offensive action this turn.
In the west, Price move out of Rolla before Sumner could bring him to action. So for now I need to keep Sumners forces there to secure the area. Also there seems to be some cavalry moving up north in the deep west and I'm very light on garrisons there. I will need to move some reinforcements there. Porter has now enough men to move on Lexington, though he is a bit short on artillery. With Grant I now have a capable leader for the drive to Nashville, but I don't have many men for him.

Land Forces
In the East:
Miles and Runyon will land in Norfolk. Though the terrain is unfavourable, it shouldn't make that much of a difference with a full division against 3 defending units.
In Alendria I have reorganized the NE Virginia Army. It now consists of 3 full strength division under Meagher, Hooker and Burnside, each including an elite infantry brigade as its core. (Something I realized only now: when you form a new division, the commander loses some of his stats for the first turn. Unfortunately only Hooker will operate with his full capabilities this turn.)
As McDowell is active this turn I will send the army to take Manassas. I will also send cavalry regiments into the surrounding regions to scout and potentially delay any relief forces.
Mansfield will move to Alexandria to reinforce his division to full strength.

In the West:
Grant will link up with Wallace in the region of Perry and bring Polk to action. I will continue to use independent Volunteer brigades to establish military control in the regions of northern Kentucky, repairing rail lines as necessary.
Lyons continues the siege of Island 10 as he is not active this turn.
I'm moving some cavalry to Ft. Smith in Texas as it is undefended now and I spotted confederate cavalry nearby.

Return to “American Civil War AARs”