Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Disasterous Prospects, but fun__CSA AAR

Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:09 pm

Hey there. New to the forum, first post, first AAR. This should be a good time. I hope you enjoy reading it. I'll try to include as many screenies as I can, but I'm a lazy ass so I'll probably just rely mainly on memory to type out what happened. Screenies of some of the major events will be included.

We're joining my game in-progress here so bear with me as I catch you up on the details. It's about turn 12, Early Oct. 1861 and things are going relatively well for the Confederacy.

Playing the 'nilla version April 1861 2-Theater Campaign with SLIGHTLY random Leader stats.

Initial goals as put forth by the Davis Administration:
Early April, 1861

The southern states were already firmly set against the Federalists in the North by Spring of 1861 and the newly formed Confederacy's President was fully aware that war was coming. Preparations were already being made.

Operational Goals before winter 1861

In the East:
Secure Harper's Ferry and Alexandria, forcing a tough river crossing into Virginia across the Potomac.

Retake Norfolk, Suffolk and Ft. Monroe to secure Virginia's Vulnerable Eastern Coast.

Bolster Defences around Charleston. Build additional Coastal Batteries for Forts Moultri and Johnston if need be.

In the Heartland:
East of the Tennesee River:
Allow Yanks to take Lexington early, effectively swaying Kentucky's loyalty firmly in the CSA's hands. Secure Bowling Green. (Future Supply Base for Western Army.)

Allow Military control of Eastern Kentucky to the Yanks as Knoxville, TN's east-west rail connection takes priority.

West of the Tennesee River:
Secure Paducah and bolster its defences. (Just one more obstacle for the Yanks to face on their way down the Cumberland and eventually the Tennesee Rivers.) Launch Raids from Paducah into Illinois disrupting Union Supply.

Blockade Cairo with entire Riverine Gunboat Fleet. (Inevitable defeat, but hopefully not before I can bring up Ironclads to assist.)

HEAVILY bolster Island No. 10 defences adding heavy guns from Norfolk Capture as well as additional Infantry and artillery. Island 10 takes full priority over New Madrid as it is the gateway to Memphis and the upper Mississippi. (Operations likely to focus in and around Columbus, Kentucky if the AI is smart enough to cross and assault Paducah by land and attack Island No. 10 from what is arguably a less dangerous position.)

In the West:
(Ambitious) Lay siege to St. Louis.
Otherwise Secure Springfield, Jeff City and Rolla for Advance on St. Louis.

Defend Texas and IT against likely Federal Cavalry Raids from the west. Retake and secure Laredo, TX.

Raid in Kansas if the opportunity arises, capture Lawrence if possible.

Naval Goals:
Don't Die. lol. Keep naval assets alive and use them as blockade runners as long as is appropriate.

Focus production on Ironclads and Brigs.

Economic Goals by End 1861:

Respectable Industry. (At least +65 War Supplies per turn)
Revenue from Economy needs to be over 100 per turn.

Drafts prior to 1862:
No Mobilization, only calls for Volunteers...if need be, pay them.
Raise Armies in the East and West of 30-40 thousand men.

Loyalties:
Hope for Missouri and Kentucy to "See the light" and join the CSA.

Political Benchmarks prior to 1862:
Move Capitol to Richmond, VA
Increase British Support by at least 30 points.

As you can see...the goals were a little lofty, but as you'll find out...I've done pretty well considering the situation. Getting my industry running at an Average clip would be the toughest goal to accomplish. There you have it...read on if you dare! Updates will be sketchy, as I have several out-of-game things going on so I'll try to hit up the board once a week or so.

Comments are MORE than welcome. Let me know how you feel about the slightly random leader stats too. I thought It might add a little spice to the campaign. ENJOY!

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:11 pm

Alright, so I lied...I'll post the second update today.

Of course things got off to a pretty quick start, turns always move quickly early on. I spent most of my time and money attempting to assemble some semblance of Industry in North Carolina from April all the way through Summer. My efforts proved fruitful as my production in the Tarheel state is now 14 WS per turn.

Replacements for Line and Militia were not a major priority as I receive quite a few for free due to historic events throughout the year. (Yes the AI has a little mercy on the rebs to start).

Operations:

IN THE EAST:

Eastern Army was called up, Beauregard in Command. In Late June after mustering his brigades he immediatly marched north to Manassas . Joe Johnston and the Shenendoah Army guarded Winchester against the Yanks, (Who had badly whipped General Winder and his green Division who had captured Harper's Ferry in Early May) until Union forces were seen marching out of Alexandria toward Manassas, Johnston then mounted trains in early July and headed to the rescue. (yawn...)

First Manassas takes place, CSA wins after a Union route. Casualties were about the same for both sides. 5,500 for the Yanks...around 5,100 for the Rebs. The soldiers are given extended congugal visits after the victory and all who inhabit the land of Dixie rejoice. (+4 NM)

The AoP (That's the SOUTHERN version) is re-organized into Three Corps.
10th Corps under Stonewall Jackson, 11th Corps under Theodolphus Holmes (who led bravely at Manassas and was granted a promotion), and the 12th Corps commanded by Fighting Joe Johnston.

Jackson and the 10th Corps, approx. 7,000 troops march north to Winchester and then head East and lay Siege to Harper's Ferry, which falls within a week.

Beauregard, still in command of the AoP, along with 11th and 12th corps
approx. 23,000 troops pursue the fleeing yanks to Alexandria, hoping to catch them, disorganized, before they can cross the Patomac and reform.
There, the Union AoNEV (That's Army of Northeastern Virginia) beats back several Confederate attacks causing the Rebels to quit the field and retire to Manassas.

Casualties after the Battle of Alexandria
CSA--5,700
USA--5,000

Union forces, having been bled badly retreat across the Patomac to Washington in Early August. Beauregard rests his army in Manassas for the remainder of the month, taking on much needed fighting men and material.

(Several Brigades raised in Virginia, North and South Carolina move north to join AoP. Replacements ordered in Spring are incorporated into the now battle tested units of the Confederate Eastern Army.)

In Early September, the AoP now numbering nearly 30,000 (Not including Jackson in Harper's Ferry) sees an opportunity to strike at Alexandria again after Union General McDowell inexplicably moves his army out of Washington to the Northwest to regroup and re-organize. Beauregard, at once, orders Holmes and Johnston with their corps to move east with all speed for Alexandria. The AoP arrived to find the town and depot lightly guarded and quickly set to bombarding the defenses with the nearly 250 cannon now in the army's service. Alexandria would prove a hard nut to crack. Mysteriously, through September, McDowell did not move to counter. Instead moving slightly more West...perhaps a feint toward Harper's Ferry.

That's all for today....gotta grab some grub. I'll post some more on the Campaign around Ft. Monroe, Charleston and the West later.

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:32 pm

As things begin to die down in the east and both sides consider restricting themselves to winter quarters. Beauregard decides to further split his forces and entrench his army firmly astride the Potomac River. While Alexandria still holds on by a thread, it will soon fall as Joe Johnston's 12th Corps is preparing for its final assault on the town.

Beauregard sends General Holmes and his Corps North and West to Loudon, VA to take up positions on the Southern banks of the river. This conveniently puts Beauregard in position to defend against attacks from any direction into Virginia....The Blue Ridge Mountains guarding his left flank, The mouth of the Potomac guarding his right. almost 50,000 men begin digging in along the river banks from Alexandria to Harper's Ferry. Union Gen. McDowell sends cavalry raids south across the Potomac into the Confederate rear to harass supplies. The 1st KY Puritans have cut railways leading through Lynchburg, VA and another regiment of Union cavalry managed to sneak across the river and through confederate lines to the rail junction and Depot at Manassas. Ah the pains that accompany war.

2 Regiments of Georgia Cavalry are dispatched to deal with the insurgency. No word has returned yet as to their success.

Snows have begun to fall in the Blue Ridge and now all that Beauregard and his army can do is wait and watch. McDowell still sits in rural Maryland readying his army for the unforseen push. Will it come through Harper's Ferry, it would appear so. But the thinly streched Confederate Army could also be vulnerable in other areas. Holmes' Corps is understrength, as is Jackson's. The two posessing between them only half the entire Army's numbers. Johston's 12th Corps in Alexandria, composed of over 20,000 men and horses and nearly 150 guns was Beauregard's heavy hitter. Perhaps General McDowell would attempt a crossing against Holmes in the Center at Loudon. Regardless...Winter was setting in and any significant movement would likely end in disaster...especially a River crossing under fire. The Confederates will use the time to gather replacements and add reinforcements.

The Lethargy of General Huger at the siege of Fort Monroe is appalling. Time and time again, President Davis called on the General to assail the defenders with his overwhelmingly larger force and drive the Federals from Virginia's shores for good. But Huger bided his time, waiting until the exact right moment to strike (or so he thought...Huger has now NOT been activated for about 3/4 of the game! lol).

Looking back on the general's achievements, he handily took Norfolk and Hampton Roads, so assuming that he would be apt to command the assault on Ft. Monroe was nothing short of obvious, however he is now completely motionless, bogged down in the battlements surrounding the fort. With cold weather approaching, the idea that the Union may indeed escape the fall of Monroe, their only inlet to Virginia via the Atlantic, is becoming more and more a reality.

General Whiting is sent in Early August to Adminster the Defense of Charleston as Admiral Foote and friends unleash a merciless months long bombardment of both forts guarding the entrance to Charleston Bay. Forts Moultrie and Johnston are slowly but surely being pounded to dust. However they have responded well with damaging cannonades of their own. Several Union Frigates now lay at rest beneath the waves of the Bay thanks to the fire from the forts' enourmous Coastal Batteries, of which Moultrie has lost all. Garrison troops in Moultrie are now literally throwing pieces of the fort at the Union frigates as they sit in the Bay lobbing cannon balls over its walls on a daily basis. One group of soldiers reportedly tried passing the time trying to catch a few Union balls in a makeshift net. It didn't work...and they died.

During the latter part of September 1861, Union Transports managed to bypass Fort Johnston's batteries and land a few regiments in Charleston Harbor. Once the small contingent discovered they were up against a Confederate Garrison numbering nearly 5 times their own force...they wisely withdrew to their ships and headed back to Fort Sumter. They were courtiously greeted by the Johnston batteries upon their exit from the harbor.

So...at long last....the final situation in the East as it stands in Early October 1861.

The Army of the Potomac with around 37,000 Infantry, 9,300 cavalry, and 310 guns is determined to dig in tight on the Southern bank of the Potomac river and await the Union advance, if it comes.

Fort Monroe on Virginia's East Coast remains under Union control due to a complete lack of initiative on the part of General Ben Huger. He would be replaced if not for the fact that all other generals are already assigned. He sits outside the fort with 7,000 men, 5 times the number inside the fort and still he waits.

Whiting and 9,000 Confederates...a mix of Militia and a few Regular brigades, along with around 30 guns stand firm in Charleston. I'm sure the Yanks will try landing in the harbor again....only with an entire Corps next time. Yikes

I might as well update you on the fiscal, Industrial and political situation.

I now generate $107,000 per turn...pretty good considering the CSA's lack of a modern economy.

My factories and mills now produce 60 war Supplies each turn, again...not great, but not bad to start. I'm investing less in this now that the war is in full swing and I'm having to spend more money and supply on replacements and new units.

Politically, I couldn't ASK for a better situation. The chance of Britain intervening already sits at a whopping 48 points. (I took a risk early with the Embargo and it paid off. That long with Historical Events combined for a lot of points.) 69 percent of Kentucky, mostly slave owners, remain loyal to the Southern Cause allowing the Confederate Government to secretly appropriate funding for Industrial expansion and Military needs throughout Southern and Western portions of the state. Missouri is also largely loyal to the South. 85 percent of Show-me-staters call themselves loyal Confederates.

However my navy has come through the year anything BUT unscathed. Six of my fastest Blockade runners were lost to Union ships Patrolling the Atlantic and Gulf Coasts. Losses which will be expensive to replace. Keels are already being laid in Charleston and Savannah for their replacement.

I'm having too much fun writing this. Hope you like reading it. THE WEST...comin' up.

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:37 pm

*Edit * Double Post

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:41 am

Operations in the Heartland didn't fully get underway until around Mid-Summer. Bushrod Johnson (worthless) was sent west to Nashville to take command of the Department of Kentucky. There he was joined by 2 brigades of regular Infantry and a battery of 10 pound Guns (also Worthless). Prior to Johnson's Arrival the only troops operating in the region were small cavalry regiments. Occasional skirmishes were seen across the Bluegrass state during the late spring and early summer. Neither side had committed major forces to the region. Not until fall that is.

In Early September, Union troops under none other than Gen. George McClellan captured Lexington, KY. With the help of none other than his reknowned butt buddy, Fitz. (Yes I'm talking about General Porter.) General Porter at this time commanded a small division numbering probably around 6,000. It consisted of a pair of brigades, one regular and one large volunteer Brigade.

By Late September, Union and Confederate forces were gathering several forces in the area. Rebels had occupied Bowling Green earlier in the fall...now the stage is set for what will no doubt be a showdown in Kentucky.

General A.S. Johnston decided that the TnA in California was boring him and came to Nashville to serve his native South. He along with General Bragg, General Hindman, General Bushrod Johnston and General Hardee would soon form the infamous Army of the Heartland. Troops were being raised throughout the South to help feed this new army. An army tasked with taking Kentucky back for the South. By late winter, the new Army is expected to begin organizing in and around Bowling Green.

General Leo Polk and his small Division moved north promptly after mustering in Shelby, Tennessee. After taking in an extra brigade and some newly raised artillery and Cavalry, Polk moved his 9,000 men north to Paducah laying siege in Early September. The city fell within two weeks after Polk's forces assaulted the ramparts. Confederate Casualties were relatively light. Union forces retreated across the Ohio River toward Cairo.

At this same time, Union Major General Heintzelman mustered a sizeable force of Illinois, Wisconsin, Indiana, and Missouri Volunteers in Charleston, MO. Confederate High Command expected the army would move against either Madrid or Columbus, KY very soon. Polk was ordered to move southwest and take positions around Columbus to guard against a crossing. Eventually, Polk was asked to abandon the position to protect against a Union feint from Evansville that threatened Forts Henry and Donelson. Polk will likely return to the trenches around Columbus soon.

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:50 am

IN the far West (Missouri, Arkansas, etc....).

Not too much action to speak of. Confederate forces were initially raised in Missouri to prepare for a quick march on St. Louis. But sadly, as plans often do, things fell apart and the siege guns the AI decided to begin building in Rolla (Which had a stack of Yank Cavalry only a couple of regions away) were destroyed by said stack of Yank cavalry when they took the town.

:bonk:

Ah well, it's why I love the game overall....You really can only control SO MUCH...such is life and war.

Anyway. Sterling Price called up the Missouri Guard in late Spring and soon after President Davis in Richmond, (who reportedly forgot that there had been any American Territory west of the Mississippi) ordered additional troops to be raised in Springfield.

Gen. Price formed his division and began marching toward Rolla only to be hampered by poor supply and raiding federal cavalry in his rear. (The bastards ended up taking Fayetville.) So Price withdrew his rabble back to Springfield to take on some fresh units and resupply for another incursion north.

Meanwhile....In Texas. Loredo switched hands several times before the Yanks finally decided to leave it alone. Instead they sent a lone regiment, the 3rd Wisconsin raiding in Southern Texas, cutting rail-lines and looting. 2 Regiments of Texas cavalry were dispatched to take care of the problem. However, this particular regiment of Federal Cavalry was strangely elusive, able to escape the jaws of my superior force at every turn and continuing to destroy Texas's infrustructure as they went. A Confederate Cavalryman's journal was later recovered and in it was an entry entitled the "Phantom Riders from the North". Beginning in summer, all the way through to Winter, the 3rd Wisconsin ripped a swath through Texas all the while escaping every attempt at the pursuing Confederates engaging them. News of the heroic Yank raid even reached Washington, where Lincoln himself was quoted as saying, "Why that little regiment may damn well win Texas all by herself!"
Befuddled at the situation, General Shelby was ordered out of Dallas along with another regiment to deal with the now infamous 3rd Wisconsin once and for all. Confederate hopes rested with an unusually harsh Texas winter...anything to slow the Yankees down.

Back in Missouri things were getting no better. Progress northward was gut wrenchingly slow. The 1st Missouri Cavalry was dispatched by General Price to begin harrassing Jefferson City for his planned campaign against the city. the regiment rode northeast and cut rails leading to the town but forgot to bring enough food. They ran out of supply quickly and were forced back to Springfield, badly understrength. Several men and horses died on the return trip through the Ozark Highlands of South-Central Missouri. Price then decided to march north with approximately 6000, mostly militia, and a battery of cannon to secure Lexington Missouri and the patriots who recently rose up against their federal overlords there. This campaign was shortlived as well. bad luck and bad leadership led to defeats against a single Union brigade at Lexington and later just outside Warrensburg, MO. Price, with harsh weather on the horizon decided to retire to Springfield for winter. One problem however, two Cavalry regiments who managed to take Fayetteville were still holding the depot and supply may not last long in Springfield.

Back East things don't get too interesting....but I'll tell you about it next time anyway. Damn Yanks took Petersburg!

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:08 pm

So throw that whole one post a week thing out the window. This is too fun. :niark:

BACK East...

Early December

As mentioned before, Confederate General Pierre Beauregard decided it best, after taking the Federal staging depot at Alexandria, to dig in tight and let the Yankees make the next move. He was well positioned, deciding to move Holme's corps out of their hastily constructed works in Loudon back to Alexandria to bolster his defences there. Johnston's 12th Corps had been digging into the frozen plain immediatly surrounding Alexandria for over a month after siezing it and was well positioned with over 23,000 men, (many conscripts), but was badly outmatched with the Union Army of Northeastern Virginia sitting across the Potomac sporting now 5 full Corps, possibly numbering 80 to 90 thousand men. So Beauregard thought it best to bring some additional strength to the area in Holmes additional 13,000 troops, (again, consisting of several conscripts.)

The Confederate General risked opening himself to a Federal flanking maneuvre through Loudon, but relied on the sluggish nature of the Union Army's commanders to tip their hand if they indeed attempted to cross the Potomac there. Also winter was in full effect and executing a move across a river in the snow was something the General was sure McDowell wouldn't attempt.

Meanwhile Jackson and his "light corps" at Harpers Ferry began rotting away as November saw two deadly epidemics spread through the campsites of his men. replacements were rushed forward to bolster Jackson's Corps in Early December and by that time much of what had been lost to disease was replenished, but at a cost...the fresh troops were untested. Jackson was unsure of his ability to hold onto the city. recently he had suggested the promotion of General James Longstreet, a man he thought fully capable of commanding more than his solitary brigade and so the official documentation was signed by President Davis and Longstreet was sent to command a Division in Holmes Corps at Alexandria. Jackson wasn't happy about it...Longstreet's nack for defending ground would have proven very useful at Harper's Ferry, but understandibly, the position occupied by the rest of the army across from Washington D.C. took priority.

Federal activity was relatively light through the beginning and middle of December. Cavalry raids in Northeastern Virginia had all but ceased and rails were being rebuilt around Lynchburg. However a brave plan to land a blow at Southern morale proved successful. One executed by a single brigade. South of Richmond at Petersburg.

Stay tuned.

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:11 pm

Breaking the narrative....quick look at stats here

Income 110 per turn...I was forced to Print more money, jacking my country's interest up to 17 percent. Not good. But the money was needed for replacements and new units. Hopefully if I spend early...I won't need to spend more later.

Conscripts...by late November, I was down to only 9 companies and so my only option was to execute a draft. partial mobilization was the call...costing me NM and VP, but worth it in the long run...that plus I'd have the option to call for volunteers open up again in late winter. This should provide sufficient replacement forces for the spring campaign season.

War Supplies....now getting 75 per turn. Hampered slightly by the siezure of Petersburg by the Yanks, something that is being addressed :sourcil:

Investment in Industry in South Carolina and Alabama proved effective as small Iron Works facilities cropped up throughout the deep south during the early stages of winter. This is good, but I need more.

Supplies and Ammo....with industrial expansion came added production of the goods needed to carry out war. I've surpluses of nearly 3000 Gen. Supplies and 2000 Ammo per turn now.

National Morale hit an all-time high in Late November at 111
The Union, after losses at Manassas, Paducah and Bowling Green, which had their NM down to a mediocre 75 somehow found new resolve between November and December as it now stands at 86. (The capture of Petersburg may have had something to do with this....either that or an historical event.)

I hold around 2700 Union Prisoners

Combat Casualties are relatively equal...probably worse for me considering the Union's vast superiority in sheer manpower.
CSA--approx. 22,000
USA--approx. 37,000

And finally...foreign intervention...VERY promising. I am certain my chances of winning the war sit heavily on Britain's shoulders. After several victories, Commercial Consessions, a Cotton Embargo, The Trent Affair, and a couple other historical events....FI is now a soaring 52 points.

(As this is my first game, the end of the write-up on the Trent Affair mentioned Britain having historically considered the event an act of war by the Union, I wonder if this translates to the game? Someone can answer that for me. If it does...I'm very happy. :nuts: )

The army sitting in London contains 85,000 of the best troops on the planet. Dare I say with a good campaign season in '62...IF I can hold in the West and score some victories in the East...and get lucky with another Cotton Embargo...Britain may enter the fray. possibly along with France. One can only hope.

Overall I've decided that, as was the case in history, 1862 will be a pivotal year for both sides. With General Lee, (who unfortunately wasn't unlocked even by the Federal presence in Petersburg) on the scene come Summer...things in the East should get interesting. I've begun ordering up some additional brigades from Virginia, North and South Carolina along with several new artillerty batteries. I hope to improve my numbers in the east to above 60,000. Lee can out-manouvre any Federal Army and with fewer, better troops SHOULD be able to execute moves more efficiently and take the Yanks on with success wherever they threaten an advance. One big hope is that I can hold in Alexandria for a long time. The Union would pay dearly with an advance across the Potomac against a heavily entrenched foe I would think.

However I'm sure that the AI, knowing that it can infiltrate the Patomac River from the Ocean may indeed try a move in that direction. Ft. Monroe will be an important objective come springtime. A new General is badly needed there. Huger is useless...

Anyway...I'll report more later today I'm sure....tata. lol.

Mosby
Lieutenant

Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:02 am

I'm really digging this one...will there be anymore?
"Have you got the rascal?" "No but he has got you!"

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:21 pm

lol....no sorry. This was a game I played against the AI...one of my first and it got really silly after awhile. The AI was doing some really wierd things.

Thanks for the interest though. I would encourage you to swing over and view my "Across Five Aprils" AAR. That's a report of a current PBEM I'm playing against my dad.

I love this game!

weiwei
Civilian

写的不错

Fri May 30, 2008 2:31 pm

wow gold!All wow gold US Server 24.99$/1000G on sell! Cheap wow gold,wow gold,wow gold,Buy Cheapest/Safe/Fast WoW US EU wow gold Power leveling wow gold from the time you wWorld of Warcraft gold ordered!wow power leveling wow power leveling power leveling wow power leveling wow powerleveling wow power levelingcheap wow power leveling wow power leveling buy wow power leveling wow power leveling buy power leveling wow power leveling cheap power leveling wow power leveling wow power leveling wow power leveling wow powerleveling wow power leveling power leveling wow power leveling wow powerleveling wow power leveling buy rolex cheap rolex wow gold wow gold wow gold wow gold

heybabylover
Civilian

hey

Fri May 30, 2008 7:06 pm

May i have a personal question? counld u sent me your email address?My email is heybabylover@gmail.com, thx, man.

Return to “American Civil War AARs”