WhoCares
Lieutenant

No luck in my first battle...

Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:20 pm

Just lost a long-winded first post to a bad key stroke, so now you will get a slightly condensed version, if I ever finish this one :bonk:

Just played my first round after i bought the game today and this describes the situation around my very first battle. It's the very first turn in the Shilo Scenario (April '62).

I (Confederation) reorganized my army and sent them to defend Memphis - should have read the scenario a little better to know that Grant is actually after Corinth :siffle:
Anyway, I sent Beauregard with ~29k troops by rail to Haywood, Breckinridge (25k) and Johnson (now in Command of the Army) to Tipton, Bragg (11k) to cover the flank in Madison, and Hardee (13k+2xCav to raid the rail lines) to Pulaski to threaten Nashville.
Well, as was to be expected, Grant showed up in Madison and this was the result:
Actually, I just took the screenshot to show my 'amazing' luck - should talk about that to this guy: :leprechau
But while summing it up for this post, I noticed how it is also a great example about game mechanics at play!
Beauregard shouldn't be in Madison - I sent him to Haywood, he arrived there days before and his way never led him through Madison. So what happened is that Beauregard marched to 'the Sound of the Guns' and showed up just in time to save the day (and Bragg). With just a little more luck I could already have accomplished my mission at day one, combat values were ~1400 vs 700, but I should be happy that I did not lose Braggs Corps...
Also interesting regarding the outcome is that it is rated as as defeat, despite Grant retreating (in hour 1, suffing 15 gun hits) - WhoCares about that Militia unit ;)

Just a small example of how CinCs (=me) mess up their objectives and the Generals at the battlefield have to fix it.

Wonder, what I will discover the next time. Looks, like I am going to spent a lot of time with this fine game - but who needs a real life anyway :tournepas
Coming from WitP, I particularly enjoy the good handling with the user interface.

Regards,

WhoCares

P.S. For what it is worth it, I won the scenario on the last day by taking Nashville. Little else happened meanwhile apart from a failed attempt to recupture Corinth. :(

tagwyn
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:29 pm

We do!! Tag

Return to “American Civil War AARs”