Pdubya64
Captain

The War of Northern Aggression; CSA AAR - April, 1861

Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:06 am

[INDENT]AGEOD's American Civil War v1.06 & Hancock/Stonewall Leader Optimization Mod
April 1861 Campaign - Confederate States of America
Played by Pdubya64
[SIZE="1"]All options normal, AI fully enabled w/ no bonus, Small commitment delay[/size][/INDENT]
Introduction:
[INDENT]As this is my first AAR a bit of background for you. I am setting up a combination roleplay and reality AAR. I will provide as many details as possible for the decisions I make and try to use graphics throughout the AAR. My style of play is conservative the majority of the time, however, due to the starting position of the CSA, some risks will be taken. I would like to thank Hancock and Stonewall for their continued efforts on Leader Optimization. I am as interested as you are as to the effect the LO mod will have on gameplay. On to Montgomery![/INDENT]

After Action Report

Meeting of the CSA Strategic Planning Group; Montgomery, AL – March, 1861
President Jefferson Davis presiding

Strategic Plan:
Good morning gentlemen. Contrary as my belief may seem to many of my former senatorial colleagues and fellow West Point graduates, I am convinced our struggle against these agitators from the North shall be a long one... and I intend to prove the error of their decision to wage this War of Northern Aggression. We shall make the Union pay for every inch of Southern soil taken, every house burned, every widow distraught.

Our grand strategy will consist of economic expansion of industry while militarily we hold the line and use counter thrusts to weaken the gains and sap the national willpower of the North. Meanwhile, fast cavalry will be trained and used on our terms- to raid the enemy's vital railroads and supply depots, taking the fight to them. State militia will be called upon to defend our coastlines and vital industry centers. Naval vessels will be built to provide income from foreign trade and whittle away at the enemy's strength at sea with hit and run raiding tactics. An expanded brown water fleet and modern fortifications will be necessary in order to hold on to our major river thruways and the cities that rely so heavily on them.

Yes, I know my fellow Confederates! None of this will come cheaply. But the choice has been made to fight and whether blacksmith, soldier or statesman, we all must answer the call and see this most arduous task through to the end. Now to the details.

Investment (long term):
I intend on investing $20,000 in gold and 25 tons of War Supplies on new light industrial capacity in the states of South Carolina and Mississippi. I have chosen them for their untapped capacity for war supplies, relative interior location and low expense required to get the wheels of industry turning. Time is against us in this regard, we need expanded heavy industry within the first year of the war to fund heavy army and naval units.
Expenses are broken down thusly:
  • S. Carolina - $11000 and 14 tons of War Supplies
  • Mississippi - $9000 and 11 tons of War Supplies
I will personally bear the burden of ensuring that the Confederate budget remains in the black while meeting our goals. Only then will these investments produce the return we expect in the long term.

Manpower:
I have just finished drafting a letter calling for volunteers to join the Confederacy and take up arms against the enemy. Although enticing, bounty incentives are beyond our reach without using drastic measures to raise gold. My able staff tells me that replacements will be available starting in early May this year and will continue through the first part of September. While this will help for the first year, we will still require a minimal number of replacements in April to bring our initial troops up to full strength.

After we take a number of objectives and raise our nation's morale, I will pursue more politically risky methods in order to ensure the Confederacy has enough manpower to stay the course for as long as this war takes. This will also be vital in allowing us to recruit enough militia to protect our vulnerable coastlines and defend in depth whenever we can in order to blunt the inevitable Union cavalry raids.

In Closing:
I am sure you have heard all the talk about the Union holding all the cards and leaving none for us to play. This is all stuff! If we can put the Yankees on the defensive and keep him there long enough to outfit our Army and Navy, the burden of offensive action and holding on to gains will surely weigh heavily upon Mr. Lincoln's generals. We can win this war gentlemen... and what's more, we shall!

Plotting
---------------------------
Turn 1: 1861, Early April

Administration:

Light Investment in S. Carolina and Mississippi
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

Call for Volunteers to provide the CSA with 153 conscript points
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

Replacements: 3 line, 2 militia and 1 cavalry
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

Financial- no options taken this turn
Planned Balance ($/C/WS): 113/181/43

Attacks:

Norfolk, VA will be occupied by the Suffolk Militia.
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

Fort Sumter, SC will be assaulted by the 1st SC Bde and 2nd SC Irregulars along with Supply Train IV to give a +10% fire bonus.
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

Harpers Ferry, WV will be assaulted by the Winchester Militia in hopes of overwhelming the small garrison there.
Although this brings WV militia into play, the victory points and shock value are worth it to me.
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

Other Movement:
  1. Bartow's Bde will rail to Gallatin, KY in order to ultimately reinforce Lexington while avoiding Bowling Green and the “first attack” penalty in Kentucky. Along the way, they will destroy the rail connection somewhere between Louisville and Bowling Green to slow down Union reinforcements.

2. 1st Georgia Cav will rail to New Kent, VA where they will load onto river transport and raid the likely undefended strategic city of Wilmington, DE and destroy the depot and rail line if at all possible. They will then head south to Dover and Salisbury and then attempt to escape back to Virginia by boat. With any luck, this raid will cause great concern for the Union and more importantly, tie up units that would otherwise move towards the front in northern Virginia.

3. 1st CSA Bty and Georgia Art will rail to Stewart, TN where they will be the first pieces in the upgrade of Forts Henry and Donelson to modern earth fortifications. We must do everything we can to keep the Union from bypassing our Western Theater front lines via rivers. Their superiority in numbers would soon overwhelm us otherwise. I hope to do the same at Island 10 on the great Mississippi River- it would be a tremendous thorn in the side of the Union.[color="Red"](8-08) Note: You cannot upgrade existing Forts. Sorry, my mistake.[/color]

Turn 1 Results:

Only minimal returns on investment this time, +7 ammo/turn
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

At Harpers Ferry, our first assault fails to win the day
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

But the second one captures 200 Union soldiers
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

Meanwhile, our play for Fort Sumter goes well and we manage to capture a few pieces of artillery
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

Here are the rest of this turn's messages (note 39-42 are from mod)
[INDENT]Image
Image[/INDENT]
[INDENT][SIZE="1"]Future turns will only include important message panes[/size][/INDENT]
Overall, things went great this turn. We lost 95 men in storming Harpers Ferry, but the additional VPs and NM will allow us to start taking risks sooner. We might actually have a chance to hold Harpers Ferry now that Hooker arrives in October instead of June! :fleb: (thanks Hancock!) On to Late April!

Pdubya64
Captain

Turn 2: 1861, Late April

Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:24 pm

Administration:
[SIZE="1"]Areas will only be mentioned if there was a change[/size]
Replacements: 3 line, 1 cavalry, 1 Lt Arty, 1 Fld Arty
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

Planned Balance: 61/169/40

Attacks:
3rd Texas Rangers occupy Laredo, TX
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

Other Movement:
Leaders: Pillow-Ft. Henry; Floyd-Nashville; Ruggles-Lexington; Zollicoffer-Clarksville; Evans-Harpers Ferry; McCollough-Dallas; Pike-Fayetteville
1st SC Bde and STIV rail to Nashville, TN
10th Texas Cav rail to Dallas, TX

Situation Maps:
Eastern Theatre
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

Western Theatre
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

Turn 2 Results:
Charleston, SC has improved delivery of War Supplies
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

3rd Texas Rangers disposition
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

1st Georgia Cav is within a few hours of landing at Wilmington, DE
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

2nd SC Irregulars will garrison Ft Sumter and take on replacements
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

Notes:
Not much in the way of action this turn. My main goal was to reposition the newly-arrived leaders to the front line units. McCollough will link up with the Texas Cav in Dallas to take on the Union cavalry in the Indian Territories. I also spent some WS to purchase replacements for both Light and Field artillery. Many of my units will be appearing soon with depleted artillery elements, a recipe for disaster if we are forced into battle. Anxious to see how the raid into Delaware goes next turn.

Rafiki

Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:29 pm

Quite a start to an AAR! Having never played the CSA myself, I'll keep an eye on this to learn a few tricks and inspiration to give it a try :)
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

Black Cat
Corporal

The Stars & Bars Forever !

Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:08 pm

Very Interesting and look forward to more. I`ve not done well as the CSA, so I hope your plans work out.

Pdubya64
Captain

Turn 3: 1861, Early May; VP157/NM102

Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:20 pm

Administration:
Our early victories allow me to spend some political capital in order to maximize taxes and CP. Many army units will be raised this turn.
The transport capacity is the only naval expenditure.
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

Investment in 5 River Transports

Exceptional Taxes levied; $460K raised at a cost of +2% inflation/1NM

Partial Mobilization; 473 CP raised at a cost of 35VP/3NM

Replacements:
The arrival of the two basic army groups in the Eastern Theatre calls for immediate replacements: 1 HQ, 4 Elite, 1 Lt Inf, 1 Raider, 1 Supply Train (before I forget!). I will attempt to fill the calls for Hvy Arty as soon as practical.
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

Reinforcements:
Lots to talk about here...

Militia - 17 groups of State Militia are called up; I get almost every one I can in the Far West so we can stem the Union tide in Missouri, Arkansas and Texas. The Eastern and Southern seaboard groups will man vunerable coastal areas.
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

Artillery - A 6lb for Texas that will likely stay there; the SC and LA 6lb guns will go immediately to Forts Henry and Donelson to finish off the improved Fort. [color="Red"](8-08) Correction: This is not possible.[/color]
Also, a VA Horse Arty Battery to complement our Cavalry.
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

Irregulars - Ahh, Sharpshooters... :coeurs: Three companies from MS, AR and NC. Oh! -and another troop of Texas Rangers for Laredo.
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

Regular - Here I am going on instinct with my purchase of the Large Bde from TN and a small one in LA to protect New Orleans. The Marines could come in handy in Virginia what with all the West-to-East rivers there.
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

Cavalry - This might be my most important purchase. Cavalry for MO, AR and TX to cover out West; MS and AL for the soon to be Army of TN and SC to reinforce the Army of NVa.
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

Support - And last but definitely not least, a Signal Co. for Virginia.
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

Planned Balance: 107/406/47

Attacks:
None this turn. The raid on Wilmington was foiled by a garrison unit. No matter, there are still railroads to be wrecked! The 1st Georgia Cav begins the siege, but seeing that they are down to half provisions, I think we will just wreck things a bit and ride on to Dover.
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

Other Movement:

Huntress Sq heads for open water and begins the long haul (27 Days) to the Atlantic Blockade.
She will run the gauntlet and make for foreign ports with her load of cotton bales.
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]
Dodge Sq sails out of Galveston for the Gulf Blockade with her cotton as well...
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

1st TN Cav & attached Supply to Clarksville, KY.
Norfolk Ammos & I E. Supplies both to Winchester, VA to build a Depot.
Hvy Guns & Howard's Batt. to Richmond, VA.
I West Supplies to Scott, MO (Charleston) to be part of new Depot.
Gen. Pike to Springfield, MO.

Eastern Theatre
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

Trans Mississippi Theatre
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

Meanwhile, at his desk in Montgomery, AL, President Davis is going through the troop disposition reports and notices...
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

Image[INDENT]"Israel! Why is Leonidas still sitting in Memphis? Some kind of trouble obeying orders?[SIZE="1"]...damned worthless roommate...[/size]"
"Ahh... no Sir. General Polk has not received any orders."
"But that's not possible! I am sure I gave orders for him to proceed with all haste to Scott, MO."
**Looking through his papers, Davis notices that Polk's orders currently lie in the "IN" basket** :siffle:
"That will be all Israel."
"Yes Sir."[/INDENT]

Far West Theatre
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

Notes:
Wooopps! I forgot to follow through and get orders to Polk! :tournepas I sure am glad Lyon hasn't shown his ugly mug yet, or HE'd be in Scott, MO right now... :bonk:
Otherwise, even though the raid didn't go off as I had hoped, there are still plenty of chances to wreak havoc on the Yanks.

Caltone
Private

Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:18 am

Nice work and thanks for doing this. We needed a CSA AAR from the April campaign. I look forward to reading more.

Pdubya64
Captain

Turn 4: 1861, Late May VP173/NM99

Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:08 pm

[SIZE="1"]Note: I am finding it confusing to keep the turns straight as I play through and write the AAR.
I will look for ways to improve this, but I think it is mostly due to the WEGO nature of AACW.
[/size]

Administration:

This turn we issue War Bonds to bump up the treasury once again- the war is getting very expensive!
Financial - Issuance of 5% War Bonds; Return of $130K for cost of 25VP

Investment - Hmm... oddly enough, MO is not an option, although I control a number of cities.
No change here other than projection numbers at bottom.

Replacements: 2 Elite, 1 Skirmisher, 1 Hvy Arty (note to self- more supply trains needed starting next turn)

[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

Reinforcements:

Regular - 1 MO Bde to add to Polk's Bde. when trained. Hope they appear in Charleston!
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

Militia - 1 ea. from AR, LA, AL and FL for defense.
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

Ships - 1 Brig in the Southeast to bring in more gold and war supplies.
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

Irregulars - The last of the Texas Rangers for raids into the Territories.
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

Planned Balance: 198/380/42

Movements and Battles:

Eastern Theatre:

1st Georgia Cav heads for Dover, DE after destroying Wilmington rails.
1st Reserve Bde & Howard's Batt. make best speed for Harpers Ferry by rail- scouts have reported seeing screening elements belonging to a Brigade heading there!
They are due to arrive 13 days from now... :indien:
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

Trans-Mississippi Theatre:

Polk's Bde heads for Scott, MO by boat.
Zollicoffer's Command (1st TN Cav) rides through KY on the way to Elizabeth, IL and points North! Let the raiding begin...
Supply in Clarksville detached from Zollicoffer, on to Scott, MO to finish construction of Depot there.
All available boats on the Mississippi River to Cairo and shallows near Ft Henry and Donelson.
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

Far West:

1st Texas Militia from Houston to Dallas for garrison duty.
2nd Texas Militia from Beaumont to Houston for garrison duty.
3rd Arkansas Helmsted Rifles from Little Rock to Ft Smith.
[INDENT]Image
-----------------------------------------
Image[/INDENT]

-------------------------
Turn 4 Results:

Curses! Banks arrives at Harpers Ferry on the 7th day and immediately assaults, hoping to swarm under the garrison! However, under the steady leadership of General Evans the boys from Winchester stand tall and repel his Brigade, although not without some crucial losses. This is going to be a nail-biter...
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

Arrrgh! Banks regroups for two days and assaults the city again on the 10th day. Another 147 men are down... we can't hold out much longer.
Where are those reinforcements from Richmond?!
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]
[INDENT]*
*[/INDENT]
It is mid-morning of the 13th day. General Evans is moving from post to post, encouraging these boys one last time. He sees Banks poised to begin his third assault, like wolves circling their wounded prey. What is left of the Harpers Ferry Garrison is showing signs of worry. Looking at the dirty dispatch in his hand for the hundreth time, Evans wondered... what had happened to the 1st Reserve Brigade and Howard? Could command at Richmond have been wrong?
Enough brooding, Evans decides, we will take many Yanks with us when all is said and done. Wait! Is that...?!

YES! Evans hears a CSA bugle sounding Advance! It's the 1st Reserve!!

[INDENT]*
*[/INDENT]

Suddenly, a mighty roar reaches the ears of Evans and the boys from Winchester and they answer in turn and open fire on Banks troops... Howard's guns open up and panic ensues in the Union ranks. 1st Reserve Bde slams into the flank of Banks command and finishes the job, causing hundreds to rout and taking many prisoners. It's a hard fought victory for Evans in his first command of the war, but he holds doubts that Banks will quit the field so easily.
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

Commentary:
Whew! I was really sweating as to whether the reinforcements would arrive soon enough. Thank God they got there just in time to save the garrison. However, at the end of the turn, Banks is still in the region. He hasn't given up yet, but I do note that he is down to one quarter of his ammo. We may be able to rout him yet. What a battle! Very exciting... no need to wonder why I love this game, eh? :coeurs: :nuts:

One more thing... I am beginning to see that a combined arms approach is vital in AACW. The battle above is a good example. I was able to rout Banks by opening up at long range with artillery that he had no answer for- then two groups of infantry to hit him and hold him in place, and cavalry to encircle, and capture prisoners. Definitely going to be part of my planning from now on if I can at all do it.

Next... on to Early June!

Pdubya64
Captain

Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:55 pm

Placeholder for Turn 5, Early June of 1861. :sourcil:

Rafiki

Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:30 pm

The placeholders are confusing (for lack of better word) for me, since when you do post the "proper" update, it doesn't show on the "new posts" search (which is my main starting point for the forums)

And this is an AAR that I don't think I'll like to miss any updates from :)
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE

Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Caltone
Private

Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:27 am

Where are ya Pdubya64? I'm needing an update bad :cool:

Pdubya64
Captain

Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:20 pm

I will have an update later Friday night guys. Sorry for the gap, but I work as a Locomotive Engineer and some days after 10-12 hours on duty I am just whipped. Nothing to do but go to bed. I thought hard about doing turn 5 yesterday, but as the action in-game picks up, I naturally want to spend more time thinking about what I need and want to accomplish. So, things I think are going to take a bit longer from now on, but that's just a guess.

Also, as I was saying earlier about confusion with keeping turns straight; I think my solution is to not start in on a new turn until I am ready to complete it, otherwise I lose track of things.

Anyhoo, thanks for the interest, I will be on this evening.
pw

Pdubya64
Captain

Turn 5: 1861, Early June VP200/NM99

Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:13 pm

Administration:

Well, losing Dover, DE right away didn't help VP matters, but the Cavalry is strictly a nuisance factor; I don't really want them in a fight.
I suppose there isn't much to complain about on the whole.
Financially, Late June (next turn) will witness me spending more political capital to raise much needed gold for units.
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

Investments -
Jeez, those boys in Charleston are on a roll! +3 War Supplies from them. It might be the heat in Mississippi, but so far they haven't turned out any additional WS, but have made some General Supply contributions.
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

Replacements - 2 Field Arty, 1 Hvy Arty, 2 Supply Train
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

Reinforcements -

Sharpshooters called up from LA and SC
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

More Militia for MO and TX
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

Other Movements: (No attacks this turn)

Magruder takes his brigade minus the cavalry along with the Hvy Guns from Richmond and fortifies Hampton Roads in order to prepare a little surprise for Herr Butler. :fleb:
Also, the Richmond frigates have been stationed off Hampton Roads as support if needed. Suffolk Militia have returned home.
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

Hmmm... the depleted MD Brigade is still hanging around Harpers Ferry looking for dinner scraps, but they seem to have misplaced Banks! Maybe they shot him?! Also, more Militia has appeared nearby. I am happy there wasn't an immediate attack as the Winchester Militia would have crumbled. As it is, all in Evan's Command are recovering Cohesion nicely. I have the Militia entering the city, while Evans Command digs in outside. I also have a Supply Train out of Atlanta coming to join the Shenandoah forces. The 2 Supply Trains in Winchester stopped work on the Depot and ducked inside town; I imagine due to the proximity of Union forces at Harpers Ferry.
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

The 1st Georgia Cav captures another town, but Militia have responded and reoccupied Dover. We will continue South.
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

After destroying the railroads southwest of Louisville, KY, Bartow's Bde heads for Lexington and finally meets up with Ruggles Command. They need some supplies, but a week or two should help get them in good fighting shape. I am hopeful that Ruggles can help turn the tide of battle in an isolated area that is difficult to quickly reinforce. Their '4' entrenchment factor is encouraging along with Lexington being a supply depot.
My gut tells me that McClellan will begin attacks into this area soon.
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

Zollicoffer and the 1st TN Cav move to Howard, IL to scout and destroy rail junctions. They evaded the Union troops southeast of them. At this point I think I will at least try for Toledo; if for no other reason than he needs to resupply soon and more rail vital rail junctions are in that direction.
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

Missouri- quite the tough nut, but I am working on it. It also helps that Lyon didn't show up this game, he's one tough customer for the CSA early on. Basically, I kept shifting units North and East to cover Rolla and Springfield. The Militia to the East will reach Rolla on the 1st day next turn. The Union cavalry will no doubt be a pain in the butt, as I don't have enough cavalry in MO right now. Oh, and Polk did arrive early this turn in Charleston, MO (across Miss. R. from Cairo, IL) thank goodness. Depot building there is underway.
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

McCulloch was headed for Ft Gibson, but I should have anticipated the Union cavalry raiding the Indian villages that were Confederate owned. Oh well, he needs a rest, so off to Ft Smith for one turn to resupply and rest.
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

Sibley will hold down the fort in Dallas with the help of the 1st Texas Militia I brought up from Houston and the 1st TX Alamo Arty.
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

The USS Brooklyn bombarded Ft Fisher and Caswell, but got more than it bargained for...
(Historically, shore-based guns always held a clear advantage in this era, as their gun platform wasn't constantly moving!)
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

Admiral Semmes arrives with the CSS Sumter to attack the Union shipping lanes, however, it looks like he will be making for Norfolk next turn as he is already down to half strength. Harriet Lane Sqd heads for the Blockade Box and foreign ports with her meager cargo of cotton.
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

Commentary:
Well, I thought there might be some more excitement in Harpers Ferry, but Banks had to change his underwear I guess. :niark: I will finally be able to organize the Army of Northern Virginia next turn. The leader mod makes it more difficult to wield Corps as there are no 2-stars. This is supposed to change, but for this AAR I think the changes will come too late. I am seriously considering sending J.E. Johnston to Tennessee next turn to begin the formation of the Army of Tenn. when our next CSA HQ becomes available.
More raids are coming as soon as the second wave of CSA cavalry is trained.

ps
OK, latest Leader Optimization files loaded, thanks to "Tick Tock" Hancock (he's always on time!). Off to get dinner with a friend I need to catch up on things with... will be back later tonight.
pw

Pdubya64
Captain

Turn 6: 1861, Late June VP253/NM99

Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:12 pm

Administration:

Money is really becoming an issue, what with all the expensive artillery replacements and naval needs. Although I am not sure what the best answer is, it is a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation. Can't beat the Union with undermanned and ill-equipped Brigades.

In looking at the VP standings, it seems that I need to get busy with the raids, etc. to knock the Yank back on his kiester.

Financial - 5% War Bonds for $147K @ 25VP cost and
Graduated Income Taxes for $241K @ 1%Inflation/1NM cost.

Manpower - Call for Volunteers; because it is free and not taking it this turn will only delay its future availability.

Replacements - 4 Field Arty, 1 Hvy Arty, 1 Supply Train
Yeah, it hurts financially, but continued neglect of Artillery just won't get it done.
It's very expensive, but the Union has better stuff to begin with, so not having mine at full strength only makes it worse.
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

Reinforcements: Not much owing to the outlays for Replacements above...

Militia - 21 more in various states to begin garrison of interior cities and towns and some critical coastal forts.
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

Regular - 1 LA Zouaves Bde for New Orleans defense and a FL Bde as a reaction force to Florida invasions.
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

Cavalry - 1 additional for AR and TX to assist with chasing Union cavalry.
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

Planned Movements/Battles:

As unit density is starting to get unmanageable, I may not detail every movement with pics and text.

Eastern Theatre:
The Army of N.Va is breaking up into smaller units (Corps not possible right now) and deploying to Manassas and Fredericksburg. Johnston is headed to Corinth, MS area via rail to bring the Army of TN online. Magruder is joined by Huger, who will command a stack with the Hvy Guns. Semmes heads back to Norfolk to refit. 1st Georgia Cav moving towards Salisbury. The Shenandoah Army also breaks up and heads to Winchester, where I am hoping that they will finally get up to full strength- it's taking months. Sitting in the backwoods of Strasburg locked is the main reason I imagine.
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

Troops are headed north of Corinth to form the core of the Army of Tennessee. Polk staying in Charleston for now. I am staying out of Kentucky until the Union attacks first at Lexington. Zollicoffer heads to Toledo, IL.
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

Far West Theatre:
Reinforcement of cities is ongoing, also sending AR Militia to Welcome, AR (east of Fayetteville) to stamp on Union sympathizer necks. Looks like attacks at Jefferson City and Rolla, MO are imminent.
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

Day 12 finds the Union advancing on Rolla, MO. My reinforcements made it OK, lets hope they can hold out.
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

Ouch! My newly-forming Cavalry gets punished- I was worried that they wouldn't have enough time to get cohesion up.
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

Well, things turn out alright, for now.
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

Southwest:

Reinforcements to Henderson and Dallas area. Signal Corps from New Orleans to Richmond. LA Bde from Monroe, LA to New Orleans.
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

Sibley beats off another cavalry attack at Dallas.
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

End of Turn Dispositions:

Eastern Theatre:
Attempting to build a Depot at Winchester again.
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

Trans-Miss Theatre:
Raid forming in Clarksville, TN area. All those river boats are mine. I expect Foote and his boys will be showing up any day now.
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

Far West Theatre:
1st AR Pulaski Lancers will ride to the rescue at Rolla in 3 days. Siege is underway in Jefferson City, Pike is there with Militia. The Militia that was in Rolla is in the same region with Pulaski Lancers and headed to Springfield to regroup after taking a licking at Rolla. Unfortunately they were only partially trained.
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

Southwest Theatre:

Ahh! 1st TX Cav ends up in a perfect position to finish off the Union Cav that attacked Dallas, provided they can actually find them! Militia nearly to Henderson for garrison duty.
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

Commentary:
Well, seems I was right to be concerned about Missouri. I still don't really understand why the state doesn't show up under loyalties and investment (?).
This is still the calm before the storm. I am counting on all hell breaking loose starting next turn. I have updated the Leader Optimization files from Hancock, but no immediate 2-star help is available in the East. Guess I will just have to form some Divisions and hope for the best.

Depending on how things go tomorrow, I might have Turn 7 up in the afternoon. See you guys soon.

Pdubya64
Captain

Turn 7: 1861, Early July VP280/NM98

Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:02 am

Administration:

Slowly stretching the lead in VPs, although NM is steady for both sides- mostly due to the lack of decisive battles thus far.

Replacements - 1 Elite Inf, 1 Field Arty (Hoping Jackson's troops will fill out soon)
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

Reinforcements -

Militia for MO, AR and LA in the West; GA, SC and NC in the East
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

Cavalry raised in LA and NC
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

Horse Artillery to complement the Cavalry in NC
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

Situation in the Eastern Theatre:

Not sure where the Yanks will strike, but something is brewing... :indien:
Divisions formed up, troops on the move.
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

Movements:
East -
14th VA Militia to Harpers Ferry
Huger Supply to Bee's Division in Manassas
3rd VA Cav & Rich-Thomas H.Arty to Harpers Ferry
1st GA Cav to New Kent, VA via boat
Ewell's Bde to James City, VA joining Huger Command
F. Buchanan and CSS Virginia to James Estuary to take over ships there

Trans-Miss. -
1st MS Cav to Lexington, KY
1st SC Cav to Prestonburg, KY
Jonesboro Yng Rebels Militia to Clarksburg, KY
1st AR Sharpshooters to Madison, TN

Far West -
McCulloch Command to attack Ft. Gibson, IT
1st TX Buchel Cav attacks 3rd US Cav if possible
2nd TX Arty rails to Island 10 Fortification in TN
LA Militia from Alexandria to Berwick, LA to cover coastline

Battles:
Charleston, MO
The Union decides not to concentrate before launching an attack on Polk's position... and pays for it.
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

End of Turn Troop Dispositions:

Eastern Theatre:

Piedmont and Tidewater Regions of VA
Beauregard moving towards Northern VA, will have Holmes give some troops to him to ease the penalty on Holmes. Magruder and Huger in position.
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

Shenandoah Region of VA
McDowell is moving on either Harpers Ferry or Winchester in support of a small Union advance group (with Balloon). I think it's most likely Harpers Ferry; I will send Jackson to intercept despite his depleted status. Smith will remain to cover Winchester. I might risk sending Bee's Division north to cut off McDowell's escape route to Fairfax.
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

Kentucky
Well, well... Banks reappears in Cincinnati. Sumner's command is cause for concern, particularly when combined with McClellan's command.
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

Tennessee
J.E. Johnston arrives and begins to build the future Army of TN. I will make it a Division next turn.
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]
To the north, Polk and Co. are hopefully ready to hold off the Wallace's attempts to cross the Mississippi River in force.
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

Illinois
Zollicoffer managed to wreck the railroads in Toledo and escape to Gilman. I think I will have him do the same here and head north to Chicago to cut the lines there.
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

Missouri
The Cavalry boys held off the Union at Rolla; looks like they are shuffling units east to support the attacks on Charleston. Although I would like to interupt the flow, right now I lack the units to cover cities and pursue Union troops.
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

McCulloch takes Ft Gibson without a fight, now to find that elusive US Cavalry and join up with the 1st TX Cav to strengthen his command.
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

Commentary:
I'll admit I am nervous about sending Jackson in essentially alone and undermanned, but I am out of options. Beauregard is too far away for one turn and Holmes has yet to activate. Bee's Division will act as support for now, while slamming the door on McDowell's retreat corridor in Leesburg. If the Union manages to get the troops in MD across the river to Harpers Ferry things could get ugly.
If anyone can pull it off, it's Jackson. I do feel I have the advantage in Cohesion and Strength across the map right now. I don't think this will last too long as it is a result of the Union rushing newly-formed elements to the front to plug holes and respond to my actions.
I apologize for the lack of an update this week, work was long and tiresome. I just didn't have the energy for it frankly.
Anyway, enjoy and more to come this weekend.

Caltone
Private

Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:02 pm

Great update. I for one am really enjoying this AAR and look forward to reading more over the weekend.

Pdubya64
Captain

Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:34 pm

Caltone wrote:Great update. I for one am really enjoying this AAR and look forward to reading more over the weekend.

Sorry for the lack of an update everyone; a busy weekend. I work outside and the weather here in Virginia has been terribly hot (100+ degrees with high humidity) and just sucks the life right out of you. No telling when I can get back to things, as I don't want to put up a substandard post now that I have established expectations. :p leure:
pw

GShock

Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:36 pm

I'll be damned i know now what's an AAR.

Whew, this is also a good lesson to learn fast the game!

Pdubya64
Captain

Turn 8: 1861, Late July VP332/NM98

Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:07 am

Administration:

Things are looking up again- my ratio of losses inflicted stands at better than 3 to 1 and we have taken 400 Union prisoners thus far.
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

Although my Planned Balance appears just fine, I have to wait almost a year before I can Call for Volunteers or Levy Taxes. Guess it's time to pinch pennies.
I did spend 10K and 10 WS on additional railroad capacity as I have been running out rather quickly the last couple turns.
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

Replacements - 1 Lt Arty

[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

Reinforcements -

Additional Militia called up in MS, SC and NC
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

Arrr Matey... Steam Frigates Ho! :nuts:
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]
---------------------------------------

Movements and Battles:
Eastern Theatre:

Army of the Potomac, Holmes Cmd & 1st Signal to Manassas
Bonham's Division to Stafford, VA
Bee's Division moves to Leesburg to attempt to trap McDowell
1st Volunteer Bde to Charlottesville
2nd Volunteer Bde to Petersburg
Jackson's Division to Harpers Ferry
4th VA Cav by boat to Cape Charles and Ocean, NJ for raid
1st CSA Marines to Manassas
3rd VA Cav/Rich-Thomas HArty join Evans Cmd in Harpers Ferry
3rd Rsv Bde (NC) to Whyte, VA
2nd Rsv Bde to Norfolk by boat
1st Rsv Bde to Fredericksburg
3rd NC Jr Rsv to Washington, NC for coastal defense

1st SC Cav raids into WV via Charleston and Brooke
Supply Train IV to Ft Donelson
2nd AL Cav raiding Elizabeth, IL by boat
JE Johnston forms Division
II/2nd Bde to Johnston's Div.
1st MS Militia to Hancock, MS for coastal defense

Far West Theatre:

McCulloch Cmd to Cherokee, IT
1st TX Buchel Cav to Cherokee, IT via Creek, IT to join McCulloch
2nd TX Chisum's Cav/11th TX Cav to Dallas
1st TX Lane's Cav to Laredo
2nd TX Cav to Dallas

Battle Results:
Leesburg, VA
Well, Bee sure got a surprise as McDowell must not have activated- I figured he would drive on Harpers Ferry. Not the result I would have wanted, but considering the mismatch in forces I think we came out of it alright. Boy, all that Union artillery is sure a pain in the Kazoo... :fleb:
Looks like Bee got off lightly here; it could have been much worse IMO.
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

Lexington, KY
Ruggles manages to just hold off McClellan.
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

The best news is that the Union was first to attack in Kentucky, now I can swoop in on Paducah and Bowling Green with Johnston. Also, my Army HQs have made an appearance!
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

Rolla, MO
Uggh, now for the bad news. My token defense of Cavalry is not enough to keep the Union from taking Rollo and its Supply Depot... Damn! :indien:
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

End of Turn Unit Dispositions:

Eastern Theatre:

[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]
As seen in the message bar above, Lincoln instituted The Confiscation Act, which raises my National Morale by 10 pts!
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]
Davis has his own announcement... another +1NM for the CSA!
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

West VA and Kentucky:
More reinforcements on the way for Eastern KY and things are looking good for the raiding party at Parkersburg
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]
Little Mac has retreated for now- I doubt he is done attacking me here though.
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

As I mentioned, now that the gloves are off in Kentucky, I fully intend on taking Paducah and Bowling Green. I also will build an Improved Fort at Paducah to interdict Union riverine movements- a nice compromise since I can't upgrade existing Forts and Paducah is a very strategic location on the Mississippi River.
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]
Near Chicago, Zollicoffer will destroy the rail network and then hi-tail it for a supply source.
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

Far West Theatre:
Now I know where that Union Cavalry went- into my backyard! I will send units to hunt him down near Ft Smith, AR. I obviously have to get some more units involved in MO and AR or risk losing more cities.
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

Commentary:
Turn 8 was a real mixed bag for me. While I am ticked that I didn't reinforce Rollo, MO enough and lost it, and the defeat at Leesburg hurts; I gained a bunch of NM due to events unfolding. I am debating about what actions to take in Virginia. I have local superiority and need to use it... but where is the best place? Alexandria looks mighty tempting. I would also like to teach McDowell a lesson he won't soon forget. I will be able to field a second and maybe a third Army as well, although it will take a couple turns until they are ready to deploy. Overall, I will continue to make raids into the Union rear and destroy what infrastructure I can along the way. My big move out West is going to be Johnston taking Paducah, KY and building a new Fort there. Then it's on to Bowling Green for another objective taken. The Far West will be busy with herding cats... err, Cavalry that is. Pesky Union boys don't know when to quit. :fleb:

Jacek
Major

Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:13 pm

Any chance you will continue this great AAR, Pdubya64?

Pdubya64
Captain

Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:43 pm

Apologies for the extended delays everyone. Life has been... up and down lately. It has been hard to find my motivation. But, I have these mood swings now and then, it's nothing serious. Hope to post the next turn this week.
PW

Pdubya64
Captain

Turn 9: 1861, Early August VP384/NM109

Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:41 pm

Administration:

Things seem to be going fairly well- but that just makes me nervous!

[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

Replacements:
Only one this turn, much needed field arty.
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

Reinforcements:
I called up my second Army for use in the Trans-Miss. Theatre.
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

Also, an Inf Bde in Tennessee to bolster Johnston's forces.
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

More Militia to cover all those darned backwater cities in Louisiana...
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

Movements and Battles:

Eastern Theatre:
Situation Map:
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

Movements:
Bee's Div to Harpers Ferry
Evans Cmd (3rd VA Cav & Rich-Thomas HArty) raiding north to Perry, PA
Jackson's Cmd Attacking Leesburg, VA
E.K. Smith forms a Division in Winchester
Bonham's Div to Manassas, VA
Army of the Potomac to Fairfax, VA
SC Palmetto Sharpshooters to Manassas, VA
VA Batt. Sharpshooters transfer from Magruder's Cmd to Manassas, VA
Scouting Sqd #1 sails to Norfolk to join Semmes fleet
F. Buchanon's Cmd to Norfolk to resupply

Kenova area (KY/OH/VA):
Situation Map:
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

Movements:
1st SC Cav destroying rail in Parkersburg, WV; then onto Marietta and Jackson, OH
Reinforcements moving to Clarksburg/Lexington, KY area

Situation Map:
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

Movements:
Zollicoffer Cmd destroying rails outside Chicago, then SW to Bloomington, IL
2nd AL Cav destroying rail then north to Alton, IL (E. St. Louis)
Remainder of riverine units on station to ports for resupply.
Polk forms Division at Charleston, MO
2nd TX Arty to Charleston, MO
J.E. Johnston's Div attacks Paducah, KY
5th CSA Detachment (4 Arty/2 Supply Trains) to Columbus, KY to stage for building fort at Paducah, KY after captured and secured.
Floyd's Cmd to Gallatin, TN south of Bowling Greene, KY

Far West Theatre:
Situation Map:
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

Movements:
In Arkansas, Cavalry converges on 4th US Cav near Ft Smith.
McCulloch's Cmd and other Cav units lay siege to Tucson, AZ :indien:
4th MO Hallville P. Gds to Jefferson, MO to reinforce Pike's Cmd
1st AR Pulaski Lancers to Springfield, MO to resupply and refit
----------------------------------------------------------------

Battle Results:

Leesburg, VA (Loudon)
Practically a repeat of the last battle between Bee and McDowell, although Bee managed to bloody McDowell a lot more this time around. I guess sending Bee north was a bit of a mistake, what with all the unknown elements involved. Oh well, I'll try to learn from this one.
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

Jefferson City, MO
Whew! Pike manages to throw back the leaderless assault on his position, and causes quite a few casualties, no doubt due mostly to his highly entrenched position. The bad news is there are still plenty of Union soldiers outside and I can only send some MO militia as relief in short order.
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

Reel, MO
Oh CRAP! Now I understand what those Union troops were doing milling around north of Polk's position in Charleston, MO. They were flanking him! :p leure: Hmm... I think I might have been unlucky here- it looks like the lone militia was well entrenched and only lost a few men under attack. Morale checks and bad luck must have made them head for the hills.
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]
Rats! Now I've got Wallace romping around in my interior- and little to stop him within the Memphis area other than militia. :indien: Problem was, I didn't see him until the Reel militia was swept away and then he disappeared again.
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

Lexington, KY
Looks like the reinforcements from Louisville decided to take Lexington. Ruggles manages to inflict more casualties than he takes, but not by much. Things could get ugly quick if McClellan activates and decides to attack along with the Louisville force.
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]
...and here is where those troops came from I suppose
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

Good news on the European support front- (+2pts to F. Intervention)
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

End of Turn Unit Dispositions:

Eastern Theatre:
Ah Hah! So now the two Armies of the Potomac meet at last!
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]
Err... waaahh? :8o: What happened here?! Transmogrification or something? Not sure how these guys went from Cape John in the Atlantic to Salisbury on the Chesapeake Bay in one turn... :tournepas So much for the invasion of New Jersey, eh?
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

Kenova Area:
The noose is tightening in Eastern KY. Let's hope I can hold out until more troops are available. My Cavalry is wreaking havoc in Ohio though- maybe it will draw off some of the pressure. Time to blow up some more railroads and depots!
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

Time for Johnston to assault Paducah next turn and get on with it. I need to make the best use of his rather large Division every turn from now on to draw the Union into battle and hopefully victory.
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]
Well, looks like Zollicoffer is exhausted... damn. I thought maybe he could make it back to CSA lines before this happened. Well, I have to come up with a way to get them to safety.
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

Far West Theatre:
Do I send Sibley to help with Tucson or not? I might see how things go next turn before making that decision.
[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]

Commentary:
Wow! I was surprised by the stealth flanking the AI pulled on me in MO- hope I can fill the gaps and drive Wallace back out or starve him before he takes a supply source. I was a little surprised that Jackson ended up in Fairfax. I guess his orders to attack McDowell meant following him if he retreated. What a difference one turn can make! There are a number of thorns I must take care of now that weren't there (at least that I knew of at the time) before. Time to think hard about priorities for next turn.
Till next time...

Pdubya64
Captain

Contemplation...

Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:03 pm

Hello all:
I'll make this short- with the release of 1.07a, I am trying to decide whether to apply the patch and attempt to continue this existing game, or start a whole new one. I have yet to make up my mind. I will probably know this weekend (Sep 28th) and forge onward.
Regardless, thanks for the kind words of support.
pw

Lonster
Corporal

Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:49 am

Pdubya64,

Unless you see big changes brought on by the new patch.....I would love to be able to see how the current game plays out.

Either way you decide, thanks for the AAR....it has been one of my favorites to follow.

Lonster

Caltone
Private

Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:55 am

Agreed, this has been a great AAR and I will follow this one or a new one if you decide.

Pdubya64
Captain

A further update for all

Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:42 pm

Hi everyone:
Just a quick note to let everyone know I am still "on the fence" as whether to continue this campaign or not.

The sticking point is the Leader Optimization Mod. I have used it since the start and like it the great majority of the time. The only issue is that I have been waiting for AGEOD to release the next major update (1.08) as we are at 1.07e at the moment. The Leader Opt. Mod might or might not work with 1.07e and before I invest a lot of turns I would like a firmer idea of what will happen with the patching and the mod.

Hope that explains where I am coming from guys.
pw

Lonster
Corporal

Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:25 am

I'm still interested in seeing this one played out.......you had a great start, and it would be nice to see it wrapped up. :innocent:

Pdubya64
Captain

Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:43 am

Well, bad news guys- at least for now.

I have tried the recent 1.07f Leader files with my 1.07f install. The problems start when I try to load my saved game. It runs OK, but certain leaders are not depicted correctly, for example N. Evans. It crashes the game if you start doing anything with his information, and that is just messing around with it for about 30 minutes, I haven't even begun to explore any other options.

Here is what I think I will do. I will start another CSA full campaign in the near future using some of the same graphics and most likely, the same opening configuration and basic moves to start. From there, obviously, the rest will change quite a bit.
I have thought about reinstalling "back" to v1.06d, but I don't know if I want to do that as I have some other more recent games in progress.

Before I make any decision, I will say that I am going to think on it and then decide in the near future. I am supposed to have Thanksgiving week off for vacation hopefully, and plan on spending some time on the computer, so with any luck I will know next week.

Pdubya64
Captain

Official decision on AAR

Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:45 am

Well, I tried everyone. It seems continuing this AAR is not to be.

Part of the reason is that Grey Lensman is wrapping up some critical work that Pocus will dub "official" here shortly, and the early returns from "the polls" on the forums suggest the AI and overall game is MUCH better. So, frankly, even if I could make it work somehow I don't feel there is a whole lot of reason for doing it.

I like to think of the AAR as a decent tutorial on the first six months as the CSA, so I will leave all the pics online and linked up so that new folks can read it if they so choose.

Again, thanks for all the kind words of support. I won't be disappearing though... there is another CSA Full Campaign to start once this latest patch is settled down- I figure a few days to a week, give or take.

See everyone then! :gardavou:
PW

Lonster
Corporal

Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:04 am

Thanks for the wonderful AAR.

I am looking forward to the new and improved one (with the new version) :niark:

lonster

Kal
Corporal

Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:43 pm

Pdubya64,

Thank you very much for your detailed, instructive and outstanding AAR. Can't wait for the next one.

:hat:
[SIGPIC]http://www.ageod-forum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3112&dateline=1192800426[/SIGPIC]

Return to “American Civil War AARs”