aryaman

Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:47 pm

McDowell has taken Winchester but Harpers Ferry repulsed a Federal attack, while in the West Union forces advance into Tennessee, Lexington and Clarksburg already under siege.
Federal forces in Virginia are dangerously spread in 4 main forces (A, B, C and D), so I have decided to take Jackson strong Corps and strike to Banks Corps (C), the closer one and placed in clear terrain, so he will not enjoy a terrain bonus. There is the risk that Hunter (B) and Franklin (D) help Banks moving “to the sound of guns” but probably at least one if not all of them will be not activated so I hope they will not arrive for the battle. I have left Huger with a small force to defend Manassas.

sval06
Captain

Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:59 pm

Bad news :cuit:

Do you plan to escape your troops in Harper's ferry, or do you think you will be able to successfully defend this area before a counter attack?

It's strange, my Union opponent did exactly the same move on our PBEM (it should be a "classic" Union move :niark: ...)...

aryaman

Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:30 pm

I think that, given their position, I have no alternative but continuing the defense in Harpers Ferry and hope for the better, because I have no good route of retreat, at least in HF I am fortified.

aryaman

Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:34 am

Turn 20 Late April
Lots of action this turn
My attack on Banks didn´t go exactly as I foresee, because Hunter Corps was already moving towards Banks and joined him before I attacked, so in the end both forces were balanced in terms of power, however Banks was no match for Jackson and the Federals suffered a heavy defeat.
OTOH Holmes has been pushed out of Harpers Ferry, but after my victory in Alexandria I am confident I can deal with that.
In the West Union forces assaulted Lexington and Clarcksburg, while Gallatin and Clarksville are under siege, Union is pressing harder and faster than expected.

aryaman

Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:12 pm

Turn 26, Early July
For the last 6 turns Union forces have been advancing steadily in KY, while in the East McDowell has been assembling a large force to attack Huger in Mannassas. I have been reinforcing Huger with some divisions from Jackson Corps, that was holding Alexandria, but in any case I was confident that ion the event of battle Jackson would quickly move to the sound of guns to support Huger. In the end, I was wrong, it was Beauregard from Fredericksburg who moved to support Huger. The battle was terribly onesided, my forces were more than doubled by the Federal forces, and despite inflicting heavy casualties Huger retreated, surrendering the key strategic position of Mannassas to the enemy.

Grotius
Captain

Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:05 pm

Fun AAR!

One question: is it better to defend Harpers Ferry on the outside, at least during non-winter months?

johnnycai
Major

Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:48 am

Union:
Turn 8-
Kentucky:
Another try at an assault at Lexington ends very badly.
[ATTACH]717[/ATTACH]
I expect Grant to arrive in Lexington(from Harrison KY) in day 9, but he is delayed and Wallace lands with a 10K of men from Louisville to reinforce/join Grant and is cut to shreds by JJohnston, who once again appears right on time to bolster and lead the defence. Another huge defeat and -5! NM.
Messed that up, both too risky and didnt allow for delays.
All troops are ordered to winter quarters including Grant, who is now set to enter the Lexington region in the next day, is ordered to Louisville.

East:
McD and Banks battered Corps are ordered back to Washington to refit from last turns debacle at Manassas.

Admin:
2 more Div HQ, 1 signal corps, lotsa line/elite replacements and an Ironclad riverine.

Turn 9: Early Nov
Winter has set in everywhere and so there is little to decide. Continue to regroup.
West:
Ordered assault on Jefferson City, only 1 reb militia and its time to get those troops to shelter.
Admin:
Many more replacements ordered; 2 Div HQ, Signal Corps and a supply wagon for the West.
Morale is 87-122 :p leure:

Turn 10-11
Winter

East:
Jackson, seeing Alexandria is vacated, take the town and battery.
Kentucky:
Some cav raiding south of Louisville, cutting rail lines. Is BG targetted again?
West:Jefferson City is won and the West troops are back to Rollo or St. Louis from the failed advance to Springfield.
Admin:
More replacements and ships while I wait for new conscripts from draft and mobilization

Regarding defending HF. Aryaman's approach was to defend from the outside, and he retreated safely and inflicted more casualties when he did so. The only time to defend the city from within is when your relief force is within range to either relieve the city or to battle and retake the city.
Attachments
8-W1.JPG

aryaman

Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:00 pm

I have been busy lately, here an update.
We are already in Early December 1862.
Things are turning badly for CSA, John is pushing me out of position just by concentrating overwhelming forces in a point. In similar fashion to what happened at Mannassas, I have been pushed out of Nashville and Fredericksburg. Everytime Union forces took double number of casualties, but despite been awarded victory, CSA forces retreated from strongly fortified positions. Besides, I was awarded no NM point. Now, there is no line of defense left before Richmond, so i am forced to take desperate measures to defend the capital.

aryaman

Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:57 pm

Update
It is April 1863
Union advance was stopped by winter, both sides took winter quarters and very little action followed after the fall of Fredericksburg. Beauregard managed to fight his way to Richmond, where CSA forces have been assembled to resist the more than probable Union assault. The 1863 campaign in all probability will decide the outcome of the war.
So far, the only important city Union side has captured is Nashville, but Union forces have been amassed in the fornt in very large numbers, so I expect an all out offensive.

aryaman

Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:47 pm

As expected, Union took the offensive on all fronts.
Viriginia
Here John has tried an indirect approach, instead of attacking Richmond, he has moved towards Charlottesville, defended by Jackson´s Corps. The result was a draw, but Jackson command was forced to retreat, Union forces were greatly superior in numbers.

aryaman

Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:58 pm

In Tennessee Union forces were massed for an assault on Corinth. I foresee that and moved almost all available forces in the Theater to counter that. CSA forces were victorious in 2 succesive battles, but despite that my forces retreated from a heavily entrenched position, this is a bit odd, should that happened in reality Johnston would have been judged for cowardy!

aryaman

Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:02 pm

In Missouri, however, my forces have suffered a hard defeat. I was surprised by the size of the attacking Union force, and my force, composed mainly of militia units, despite being heavily entrenched (well, that is what I thought, maybe I moved it by mistake and lost the trenches?), was no match for Union regulars. My Indian allies have also suffered heavy casualties.

To sum up, CSA forces are on the retreat in all fronts, however my main forces are still fully operational, so I hope to put up a good defense for the rest of the campaign season, and hopefully winter will come early this year!

aryaman

Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:54 pm

Update Late August
Action is turning confusing around Richmond, for some reason my heavily entrenched troops there were unable to score a decisive victory against inferior Union forces and retreated, although Union forces also retreated, so both armies were moving away from each other, something that sometimes had happened in real wwars.
My explanation is that the area were so overcrowded with stacks, some moving to mutually support each other, that I have to put it to the chaos factor (I don´t know if it was the game engine losing track of all orders of myself)
Anyway, for the sake of clarity in this AAR. After regrouping outside Richmond, Lee moved again to protect the capital, barely defeating the attacking waves of Federals.
CSA is still holding in Richmond and in the West in Chattanooga and Menphis, frontlines going around those strongpoints.

aryaman

Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:17 am

Update Early December 1863
The 1863 campaign is over.
EAST
CSA holds Richmond firmly, Union has decided on an indirect approach, taking Norfolk and advancing along the west of Virginia.

WEST
Union takes Memphis at the end of the campaign, once again I managed tactical victories, but in the end my outnumbered armies were pushed out of their heavily entrenched positions. A Union expedition on Little Rock is howevewr repulsed.

Overall Situation
I will start 1864 in a week position in the East, worst than historical, in the West I am not doing that badly, however he is advancing there as well. My main problem is lack of cavalry, I have lost many cavalry units in some unfortunate actions.
My morale is around 100, so no danger of a sudden collapse. I hope wra weariness start to play on Union (BTW does anyone know how is that suppsed to work in the game?)

johnnycai
Major

Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:33 pm

Union: Early '62

Turn12-20:
Late Dec-Early Jan'62
Turn12:
Bowling Greene was hit by Al Johnston Div.. EvenThink my level 4 entrenchments stopped him our numbers were equal.
Issued Bonds. Need to build up now.
Grant goes by rail to Mercer to catch the rebel cav hopefully frozen in place, maybe will catch them and give him his first victory.
Admin: 1DivHQ, 1KY supply wagon and raise several brigades for KY and the East.

Turn13:
Morale 88 USA vs. 122 CSA
Grant goes for Lexington, it shows only 1 militia but who knows what reinforcements he has? He has 1 div. plus 5 brigades in his Corps.
I go assault and hope for the Grant magic.
More div HQ are ready keep organinzing. Some Div's rail to Kentucky.
Bowling Green is the target, AJohnston is in Gallitin. 1200 strength, my reinforcements are sent but will it be too late?
Draft and Mobilization, out of money so I do Excep Taxes. 761 total companies raised.

Turn 14:
NM 80 USA vs 125 CSA
Late Jan.
Grants arrives at Lexington in turn10 and gets pasted 3NM loss.
[ATTACH]1166[/ATTACH]
Grant will head to Cincinnati to reform.
Exceptional Taxes raises 271K.
Print money 536 added. Need to build rail capacity.
Army HQ ready sent it to St Louis. Morale is at 80... trouble if it doesnt improve soon.
Built mostly troops for Kentucky...still think there is the area to kick start an offensive in the spring.

Turn 15:
Early Feb:
Not much happens except rebel cav and irregulars are trying to isolate Bowling Green by tearing up the rail lines between BG and Louisville. I have Burnside with a small div. and some cav on the rail line repairing and hunting for rebs.

Turn 16:
Late Feb.
Not much happening, except am clear of rebs around BG and have ordered more troops to BG. Johnston is now at Galatin, while Bragg, now leading a Corps, is at Lexington. I build a depot at BG and plot to move troops there next turn when the rail should be repaired.
Admin:
DivHQ, frigates for blocades, rail and steamships and a couple more brigades for the West. Have tapped all my conscripts from my draft and mobilization.

Turn 17
Early March:
Finally...spring weather!
Kentucky:
(Buell! newly arrived!!) goes to cut the lines to Lexington with his Corps consisting of 1Div (Kentucky Men + Wisconsin brigade w/oleader) and 1 Wisconsin Brigade as under Corps command.

Thomas Corps, 2Div. strong Ambrose and Prentiss should arrive in Bowling Green in 2 days now that the rail lines are fixed again from BG to Louisville. BG depot will be up soon. All sound moves.

LL Wallace in Posey goes South reclaiming Henderson KY on the way to BG with 2 cav regiments and 1 infantry brigade with a light arty. Grants gathers his troops in Harrison while the lines are about to be cut...Lets see who shows up to party!

We advance 1 brigade and some regiments to Clarksburgh just to eliminate that thorn.

East:
McD goes to Winchester only seeing some militia, and am activated for 2nd turn in a row on special event 'General WarOrder 2'. Hunter is deactivated and hopefully arrives in Loudon able to defend and not forced to activate. Cav goes cutting lines south of HarpersFerry. McD moves from Washinton-Loudon-Winchester bypassing Jackson at Alexandria.
[ATTACH]1167[/ATTACH]

West:
Halleck is sent to garrison Rollo
Ironclads and gunboats head to protect Cairo at the Cape.
Same for the Ohio fleet goes north of F. Donelson.

Naval/Amphib:
East barrages are going well, just keeping that going and threatening. If Virginia offensive dies then will consider naval operations to keep busy while the forces are rebuilt.

Turn 18:
Late March:

McD arrives at Winchester, Hooker with another div. will assault while McD stays on defensive posture, send WHL Wallace Div to HF, I only see a mystery artillery unit with Beauragard.
[ATTACH]1168[/ATTACH]

Kentucky:
Bragg has bugged out of Lexington. Crittendon with a div is sitting on the rail line with orders to cut rail while Grant is ordered to move to Lexington.
[ATTACH]1169[/ATTACH]

Turn 19:
Early April-
Winchester Falls! The militia units inside surrender...i guess its realistic. Time to rebuild the rail in the area. Gather Wallace(recently retreated from HF where he lost 25% of his division) with McD (not activated). Hooker is sent with Meagher Div to take HF, they arrive in day 9, there should be no relief this time.
This will wrap up W Virginia and open a flank on Manassas, now suddenly vulnerable.
East: HF gets hit by WHL Wallace and loses 3000 men to Holmes (CSA losses are 1000) defending. I only saw an artillery(Beauragard) unit that is now in Clarke trying to run home, Parke's 16thCavDiv will be tasked to seek'n'destroy.

Admin:
DivHQ
L. Industrialization in Maryland

Turn 20:
NM 88USA vs. 130 CSA
Late April
East
Lost a battle at Alexandria, strenghth was even, was on defensive, had higher entrenchment and more more sub-units 92-61 on battlefield, all my troops benefitted from better ground but still got hosed 15.5K vs 4K in casualties. The only reb advantages were the luck roll 50-48, better range (Alexandria battery) and Stonewall. I dont know what to measure of the battery advantage being the only unit inside Alexandria during the battle.
Oh well (see jpeg).[ATTACH]1170[/ATTACH]

Found Holmes in a battle at HF on day 7...I lose battle 930 vs. 440 but the outnumbered Holmes retreats to Morgan WV. I will send Mansfield Div after him. At HF, HookerDiv, Meagher Div and Kearny and the newly arrived 3NYBrigade with a siege mortar will assault HF.
I send Franklin, Hunter and 3 divisions that didnt fight in Alexandria via rail to HF. I believe I will have enough to threaten Manassas from the West.

Kentucky:
Lexington and Clarksburg fall. I give Grant the Army of WVirginia and send him towards Nashville. I will reorganize McC to comprise of 2 corps Pope and Buell and their objective will be Huntsville and Knoxville (the rail cut there will force the southern reinforcements further south to move East-to-West and visa-versa.
I use my tranports to bring several brigades from St Louis and Cincinnati to Trigg Ky where they will reinforce Grant

Admin:
Ran out of Line replacements and have spent all on replacements except for a Ky supply unit and some more rail and river transport. I got +17 supply for my investment conscripts at 9 in maryland (am testing to see if I get more conscripts) Need conscripts.

More to follow.
--John
Attachments
20-AlexandriaBattle.JPG
18-KY_map.JPG
18-E1.JPG
17-E1.JPG

Return to “American Civil War AARs”