daidojisan
Sergeant

Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:13 pm

Pocus wrote:bockade runners are of the brig class if I recall well.

Ah i understand. Then what will this brig class represent for the union ? their trade fleets or something?

Also i was wondering, say that one state allows you to build a maximum of 12 brigs and after you build these 12 one is sunk, can you than build another one (up to 12 again) if you have the resources? or can you never build more than 12 (in that state)in the entire war despite how many resources you want to spend?

Pocus

Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:21 pm

brigs are small and maneuverable ships, so the union can use them for their oceanic transport pool but they are not the best units to haul stuff. Basically they can use it for survey and patrol or small fast raids.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Pocus

Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:23 pm

There is something wrong on your screens Marecone, I don't see the white box with the combat value... Strange, as I just tested in 1024 and it is there.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

runyan99

Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:51 pm

marecone wrote:Image

I will form a defencive line from Lexington to Bowling Green to Ft. Doneldson to Paducah. I know this is almost the same as Johnston did and what he did was a mistake but... Most of these points can be reinforced in less then 15 days as they are conected with RR. I'll just hope this will work.

That's what I think the Confederates should have done, and that's what I plan to try once I get to play. Keep an army on the rails, so they can be ready to move. Let's see if you can make it work.

marecone

Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:17 am

Pocus wrote:There is something wrong on your screens Marecone, I don't see the white box with the combat value... Strange, as I just tested in 1024 and it is there.

I didn't upgrade to latest patch then

marecone

Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:19 am

runyan99 wrote:That's what I think the Confederates should have done, and that's what I plan to try once I get to play. Keep an army on the rails, so they can be ready to move. Let's see if you can make it work.

Will do my best. Now in next patch we will get ability to destroy RR. I will guard my RR and try to hurt Union. If I did have it before, I would cut Lexington and then attack it. Now Yank has the chance to reinforce it.

Glad to see someone thinks I am making some good choices. Every hint and suggestion is welcomed.

nemethand
Colonel

Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:32 am

Hi Marecone,

a question:

Magruder has a 'command' in the east (and a penalty), whilst Polk and Hardee both commands a corps (with no penalty).

Since you do not need an HQ to create a corps, is it simply because Polk and Hardee are 2 star generals, while Magruder is only 1?

Thx

marecone

Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:57 am

Polk and Hardee are both corps commanders. You have to have 2 star general to form a corps. They are getting bonuses from their army commander and from beeing organized as corps.

Magruder is 1 star general and can't form a corps. So he doesn't get any bonuses from army commander nor any benefits from having a corps organization.

Pocus will explain and correct me if I didn't get something but I belivethisis the case.

Kotik
Lieutenant Colonel

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:18 am

What kind of ability do you have to ravage union rear area? I have allways imagined that by ravging union rear area the confedracy would actually had a chance to win but this would of course that they did it from the beginning and very fanaticly.
"Saw steamer, strafed same, sank same, some sight, signed smith" From "The Thousand Mile War" by Brian Garfield.

marecone

Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:06 pm

Game handles this great :coeurs: . Ok. You can use your cavalry with better leaders, like Forrest, to raide deep into enemy country. Goal is to have a unit or stack of units with high evade rating. You give order to evade fighting if possible and send them in enemy country. Destroy RR or supply depot or set up an ambush and try to get some of their supplies. Then you simply pull back.
They can counter that with cavalry units which have high detect rating. By doing this you are forcing yanks to guard all their towns and RR.
Another way is when yanks occupy large parts of your state. For example Alabama. Then raiders, buschwakers and other bands will show up. They have great ability to hide and avoide battles and can do much damage to enemy supply line. Ofcourse they are best used in their own states and get some penalty when they fight in other state.
Third way are loyal indians. You can see an example in my AAR. They are set to evade fight so when they passed near Lyon they were not detected.

Hope you'll like the system as much as I do.
If you have more questions, just shoot.

Godspeed
Forrest said something about killing a Yankee for each of his horses that they shot. In the last days of the war, Forrest had killed 30 of the enemy and had 30 horses shot from under him. In a brief but savage conflict, a Yankee soldier "saw glory for himself" with an opportunity to kill the famous Confederate General... Forrest killed the fellow. Making 31 Yankees personally killed, and 30 horses lost...

He remarked, "I ended the war a horse ahead."

marecone

Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:11 pm

P.S. Ofcourse to prevent too deep and unhistorical raids in enemy country you have to think of your supplies. You can't just send raider to Boston and do damage in that area for months.
This is another great example of how good supply system works for this game :coeurs: and makes play more historical.
Forrest said something about killing a Yankee for each of his horses that they shot. In the last days of the war, Forrest had killed 30 of the enemy and had 30 horses shot from under him. In a brief but savage conflict, a Yankee soldier "saw glory for himself" with an opportunity to kill the famous Confederate General... Forrest killed the fellow. Making 31 Yankees personally killed, and 30 horses lost...

Pocus

Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:31 pm

there is supply, but there is also loss of cohesion. In enemy held territories, cohesion is lost much more rapidly. So your cavalry can't run indefinitively in hostile lands, because they will slow down as their cohesion diminishes. More easier to catch them with cavalry patrols!

marecone

Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:33 pm

:bonk: Yap. I knew I forgot something.

daidojisan
Sergeant

Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:39 am

Hi Marecone,

Is the AAR still going ? or have the updates broken the database so that you can't continue?

:dada:

Pocus

Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:44 am

the new database is not in yet, so I think they can continue a bit the AAR. Now, this is up to them :)

marecone

Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:33 am

I'll do my best just don't kill me if I'm a bit slow :niark:

marecone

Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:46 pm

Turn 5, South side:

News

Extra, extra!!! Paducah liberated!
Texas rangers ready to help out!
This special units will help us in deep raids in enemy country. Time to visit our northern "friends"!

Economy

Just signed paper money printing and did raise taxes. All money raised will be spen on artillery. Need to fortify my positions.

Eastern theatre

No more waiting! Magruder will move against Butler. 3rd reserve brigade should join him. Just to be sure in my victory I did call for some naval help.
2nd fleet will support this attack from sea.

PGT is now a sole commander in Manassas. Holmes is sent down to Fredericksburg where he will take command from General Huger.

Since Holmes is a two star general he can form a corps.

Jackson's corps is set on agressive stance now. Time to take Harper's Ferry. :king:

Western theatre

E.K. Smith will stay in Lexington. 1st Tennessee will try to raide north-east and cut Yankee comunications there.

General Hardee is attacking Louisville. Set to agressive. Check the lower part of the screen and you'll see he is getting bonuses from his army commander.

General Hindman will raide north and will try to disable Vincennes-Madison RR.

Polk will recuparate in Paducah for now. I hope I'll get those new arty pieces soon so I can fortify this important strategic point.

Two cavalry commands are beeing sent north to do more damege to Union RR's. I have to slow him down so I get some time to place those ordered cannons.

Watie's command will try to set up an ambush. They have done enough damage to country side and now they can wait. Either Lyon will move to Rolla to get new supplies or yanks will send some units to help him out. Either way, I hope that indians will catch something. :king:

P.S. Sorry for long delay :o

daidojisan
Sergeant

Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:06 pm

Hi Marecone,

What class of ships does the Va gunboat squadron belong to? i just rechecked your posted screenshot of the confederate buildable ship list but i cannot find any gunships (or any picture that looks like the gunships in your latest turn).

Is it something new maybe ?

:dada:

PhilThib

Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:58 am

The gunboats are very small vessels armed with just a few guns...they are limited to rivers and coastal waterways, and are almost useless in naval battle versus larger units, but they can blockade, fight each other and do a bit of transport...

marecone

Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:42 am

Turn 6, South side:

This will be a very short version because we got new patch :coeurs: . Veji, hope you will be satisfied.

News

New units raised. Arty and stuff.

Harper's Ferry is in my hands now :king: .

Louisville as well :king: .

I have lost a battle of Norfolk but only because that reserve brigade came earlier and attacked alone.

Price lost a battlein Missouri.

Johnston and Jackson wooped Patterson's force :king:

Jackson in east and Hardee in west fought very good.

Eastern theatre

Western theatre

With ownership filter. If color is more gray that means I have more support there.

With supply filter. Dark green are depots.

Partisans appeared because Union holds most of Missouri.

That is it for now. Hope you liked it.

Godspeed

marecone

Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:04 pm

BTW, various units were sent up north to destroy RR's. If I have had this option from beginning Yanks would be very immobile by now :king: .

I am opened for all questions so if you have any, just shoot :cwboy:

Hohenlohe

Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:38 pm

Where is Robert E. Lee? Is he stationed in Kanewah? :dada:

Florent

Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:12 pm

When taking Harper 's Ferry did you get rifles or guns in the arsenal ? Or will it be implemented when events will be included ?

jelay14
Corporal

Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:41 pm

It says "Now playing John Brown's March." I take it that's some song that gets played during the game, or is it something else?

Pocus

Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:44 pm

yes, the march is one of the historical songs we have in the game, recorded by band of fine fellows from South Carolina if I recall well.

Pocus

Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:44 pm

Florent wrote:When taking Harper 's Ferry did you get rifles or guns in the arsenal ? Or will it be implemented when events will be included ?

This is an event I think.

PhilThib

Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:04 pm

Florent wrote:When taking Harper 's Ferry did you get rifles or guns in the arsenal ? Or will it be implemented when events will be included ?

It will be an event... just not coded yet :indien:

Garuda
Private

Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:03 pm

Decided to come out of lurking just to let you know that it is from reading the AARs here on the board that I'm really interested in purchasing this game.

Thanks for the all the work you're putting in guys and I'm really impressed by how the admins get involved on the board, it really adds to the faith that this game is being developed by people who care about their product.

mike1962
Sergeant

Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:23 pm

I 2nd that Garuda. The guys posting the AAR's are doing an excellent job. Looking forward to release. Mike

marecone

Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:27 pm

Well thank you very much. :coeurs:
Glad you like it

Return to “American Civil War AARs”