zerotasker
Conscript

AGEOD Civil War youtube video

Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:14 am

Hey all, I started creating a series of youtube videos about this game. This is my first post to this forum, but I've read plenty of posts and AAR's here, to learn the ropes. You all have been very helpful. I thought that I could pay all you folks back by making one of those "let's play" videos on youtube, since I saw there wasn't one. I've never made any videos like this before, so I hope I'm doing ok at it.

I hope nobody minds, and that I'm not infringing on any copyrights or such. (I'm not trying to make money on this or anything!) Anyways, check out my game if you'd like, any comments or critiques would be welcome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V33eKwj1F18&feature=g-upl&context=G2b15c49AUAAAAAAAJAA

lodilefty

Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:07 pm

Welcome to the forums!

That is very very nice work!!! :thumbsup: :coeurs:
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

gotrek
Corporal

Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:14 pm

This is the first time I actually follow a "Let's play" , I usually fail to see the point. But for this game its a great idea. don't be put off by low views I'm sure people will get lots of info out of it the future.

zerotasker
Conscript

Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:34 pm

Thank you both for your encouragement! I've finished the videos. The game went 78 turns (IIRC), so it ended up being 35 videos long. Which adds up to 7+ hours of video, hehe. Who has the time to watch that? Oh well, anyways it was a labor of love, and I had fun doing it.

Oh yeah, I won the game, thank goodness. How embarrassing if I lost so publicly! It's not a surprise though, I played on hard/extra time for AI/medium aggressiveness/no fog of war for AI. I usually play on the very hard setting (and often lose).

The game had some hiccups, I almost had four divisions starve to death in the Mississippi swamps, and only got saved by some very good luck. And I lost New York for a few months! Oops...

Citizen X
AGEod Veteran

Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:05 pm

Nice!

Confederate
Lieutenant

Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:07 pm

Wow your computer is FAST.
- Confederate

zerotasker
Conscript

Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:33 pm

Cool. I have a four-year old motherboard and processor, but I spent a lot of money upgrading my video card and memory a year ago. I guess it paid off.

By the way, I ran this game under patch 1.16 RC 9, with no subsequent quickfixes installed (if there were any, sorry I don't pay close attention to that stuff). Just on the off chance, if people are watching, anyone notices any bugs. I didn't see any, but I wasn't actively looking for them, either.

Thanks for watching!

Confederate
Lieutenant

Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:46 am

Did you notice the when you hovered over the CSA side in Part 1 one it flashed? That's a bug.
- Confederate

zerotasker
Conscript

Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:59 am

Oh yeah, that one. I forgot about that one. I knew about it before I started the game (I saw the post about it when I downloaded the patch).

gotrek
Corporal

Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:24 pm

yes there is that bug and the fact only the US flag shows up on battle reports and stuff...it does that on mine too.

Why do you use 5 artillery in a division and put militia in a division?
Also in the early turns did you raise a lot of militia in Washington? why?

zerotasker
Conscript

Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:15 am

First, thanks for watching! :)

My decision to put five artillery in each division is a bit of a guess on my part, since I'm not intimate with how battles work. I really should read up on "frontage." But I do understand that five arty can all be engaged in the same battle, although sometimes (often?) not all five can engage. So I guess I use five arty for three reasons, all of which might be wrong. 1) I have the notion that, in most battles, arty does most of the damage. So I figure I should add that extra arty. 2) Different arty types have different strengths. I give each division 1 "heavy" (like a 20lb), 2 12lbers, and 2 10bers, in the hopes that my generals have the smarts to use them in the appropriate situations. So I'm giving my generals flexibility. 3) It feels like 10 infantry is enough to protect the arty, while the arty do the damage.

As for your question about the militia in DC, I'm guessing you're referring to the state militias I gathered in Washington and St Louis in 1861? Those were for defense purposes, and to put under macclellan and halleck for training purposes. I think I understand that the "training" trait on those generals is to turn infantry(conscript) into regular infantry, which doesn't do anything to militia...but militia turns into infantry pretty quickly. So, I let those guys train there, then added them to divisions in 1862. I could easily be getting this wrong, and I'm certain that I could be working more efficiently here. But that was my logic, anyways.

Why do I put militia into divisions? I figure, why not? They're cheap, they turn into regulars eventually, and it doesn't seem to hurt anything so long as the division has a bunch of regulars and not too many militia. But it depends on whether I think a division will go into battle soon. For instance, the division I sent to Ft Monroe -- I figured the chances of it being assaulted were slim, so I didn't mind having a lot of militia in that one.

Does this answer your questions? I'm sure I could be doing all this stuff better, but for what it's worth, this is my thinking.

gotrek
Corporal

Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:25 pm

thanks.
On the arty number I myself use 4 varied arty for the same reasons you stated and since I always play CSA I can rarely afford more than 4 anyway.

As for the militia I find them a little over priced to be stacked like that, they cost 7 recruits against a good brigade's cost of 50+ for 4 good troops + 2 arty + cavalry in the package which makes it just 1.5 times more expensive than the same amount of militia for a lot more bang for your money.

Watching your videos (I'm at around part 10...) made me want to try out the USA for the first time since I bought this game when it came out (being playing on and off).Looking forward to see how you managed with your sea landings.

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:36 am

Just stumbled onto your thread. VERY NICE! I look forward to watching all 7 hours on my daily train commute!

Newman5
Conscript

Good Job!

Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:49 pm

I'm following along too! Thanks for doing this.

H Gilmer3
AGEod Grognard

Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:38 am

I just watched the whole thing through over about 1 week or so. Very nice. I am the person that commented that I want to try one for Rise of Prussia because I only saw 2 and both were pretty bad, in my opinion. One the guy kept saying "I don't know what to do and I don't know why I'm fighting this war." The other was someone who did the Saxony battle and she kept saying, "Well, I guess I'll move these guys and see if that works....". A helluva way to fight a war.

H Gilmer3
AGEod Grognard

Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:39 am

I just wanted to reiterate that the video series was very good. If people watch it, it will make them want to buy this game.

Chuske
Lieutenant

Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:39 pm

Just started watching these. Great intro for newbies. Good work! :thumbsup:
Useful Info for Beginners

"If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
William Tecumseh Sherman

Malahide
Civilian

Sun May 13, 2012 6:46 pm

Thanks for a great Let's Play.
I listened to it on my commute over 2 or 3 weeks and learned a ton.

zerothehero
Private

Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:59 pm

Just finished watching the Videos and would just like to add my appreciation :thumbsup:

"The game had some hiccups, I almost had four divisions starve to death in the Mississippi swamps, and only got saved by some very good luck." I thought this was a brilliant part as it showed the problems you can get into if you lose supply.

cmurphy625
Private

Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:58 pm

Just want to say, I watched all the video's over the course of a a week and it was very enjoyable, and learned a few things here and there. I think you did an excellent job, and it got me back in the mood to play the game (it is an excellent game to start, but very deep)... AGEOD should've had you do the videos for ALEA JACTA EST, as I'm sure it would be a great selling point for the game!.. Again, thank you, not many 'let's play videos' can I stomach, but yours were a pleasure to watch!

WildCat
Conscript

Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:42 am

Excellent work, and an epic undertaking! I found it really useful for those hints and tips on those crucial opening moves at the start of the war. Thank you.

Tw2Brick
Civilian

Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:41 am

I enjoyed the series as well and consequently reinstalled to play again with renewed interest.

Thanks!

maltsensation
Civilian

Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:11 pm

Very valuable series. I have owned the game for a number of years but never felt confident enough with the interface or mechanics to attempt more than the tutorial (which is somewhat useless). I feel good about the game now and will let you know how things go.

Return to “American Civil War AARs”