charlesonmission

Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:07 am

Early January 63

I’ve made it into the next year!

Battle - We had one decent size battle, which I lost, but didn’t retreat. My guys are still in good order there as you will see below. I’m guessing he wasn’t going blazing in, maybe on a lower offensive setting. My fleet got a victory!

[ATTACH]15599[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]15601[/ATTACH]

Kansas – Nothing happening

Tennessee – I’m going to bring my forces together, and then attempt an action on Nashville.

[ATTACH]15602[/ATTACH]

NC – Still holding out! However, he is taking towns at will across the south now, and I have no way to stop him.

[ATTACH]15600[/ATTACH]

Economy –

Reinforcements – 2 marines

Replacements – 1 elite, 1 line, 1 field artillery
Attachments
TN.JPG
Smithville.JPG
NC.JPG
Naval.JPG

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:08 am

You've done well holding it all together since the fall of Richmond!

charlesonmission

Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:24 am

I just got an email that OAM won with a NM victory (his). I'll post the final turn later.

Longshanks wrote:You've done well holding it all together since the fall of Richmond!

Ol' Choctaw

Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:24 am

You gave it a good shot against an experienced player. You hung on longer than I would have.

I am sure you have learned a lot and it will set you up for a better showing next time.

charlesonmission

Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:30 pm

Late January 63

DEFEAT! It says is all below.

[ATTACH]15623[/ATTACH]

OAM one with a NM victory on his end. I want to say a personal thanks for playing with me. I learned a lot. My key learning points are:

1. Always have a supply cart with a corps or detached division, or be prepared to lose the entire force.
2. Know that ships can block movements, sometime with devastating consequences.
3. Use marines for crossing rivers
4. It’s hard to win a 1 on 1 battle against an entrenched force, it can be difficult even if it is 2 to 1.
5. Watch the weather where you are travelling.

Battle - I lost a small battle in Charlestown, but the big one I also lost in Smithville. I did inflict double casualties though.

[ATTACH]15622[/ATTACH]

I hope the readers enjoyed this, and hopefully learned something as I was learning.
Attachments
Defeat.JPG
Smithville.JPG

OneArmedMexican
General

Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:47 pm

Great AAR Charles! :thumbsup: You played an excellent game, it was a pure joy having you as an opponent. :)

This AAR sells Charles smart moves short. Perhaps his greatest achievement was the evacuation of VA. I had already outflanked him, had taken Petersburg and was threatening Lynchburg from Covington, while his main army was still at Charlottesville and inside Richmond. Still he manged to get every single soldier out of the state. Even Magruder got away from the tip of the Peninsula. I tried hard to prevent it, but failed. With this beautiful maneuver, Charles made sure our game lasted a whole year longer.

Most of my ACW PBEM have been playing the CSA. When we started this was only my second PBEM with the Union. But it was a lot of fun. One plays a lot more relaxed when you are not a single defeat away from loosing the war.

charlesonmission wrote:4. It’s hard to win a 1 on 1 battle against an entrenched force, it can be difficult even if it is 2 to 1.

That is probably the reason I won. Almost all of Charles early defeats had me as the defender. I always tried to outflank him and offer him some stacks that looked ripe for an attack. Early on it worked quite well, but the longer our game lasted the more costly the battles became for me.

Another factor working in my favour was our recruitment and spending policies: I was more aggressive with the mobilization option. Also, my building policy was almost exclusively land oriented. Until mid 1862, my only naval investment were a few ironclads on the Mississippi. By spring 1862 Charles had naval superiority near the coasts: my brown water fleet got repeatedly trashed at the coast of NC. But Charles lacked the ressources he had spend on his navy on the land.

The end felt a bit anti-climactic. I didn't manage to destroy Johnston's Army - Charles put up an incredible fight in spite of 5:1 odds. :hat: In the end it was the virtually unopposed capture of Charleston that gave me the victory.

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:15 pm

All in all, an impressive performance for a first-timer against an experienced (well, not so much with the Union it seems!) player!

Return to “American Civil War AARs”