John Sedgwick
Colonel

CSA Narrative AAR: Yellowhammer vs. Sedgwick

Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:28 am

White House of the Confederacy, Spring 1861:
Jefferson Davis could not sleep. He had wished to avert this war, but the terrible momentum of events had dashed those hopes on the shell-torn walls of Fort Sumter. On his shoulders now lay the heavy burden of piecing together an army, a navy, indeed a nation, all from scratch, and defending its people from those whom they had once called brothers, from those who could not now accept its lawful secession. It was an enormous task, and he prayed God to give him the strength to see it through. In truth, he would have felt more at home leading men into battle than in the White House, leading a country into war. But such was his lot, and he would do his duty.

Davis stubbornly refused to appoint a general-in-chief, preferring to make most of the strategic decisions on his own in consultation with a small circle of trusted military advisors. He was met with resistance every step of the way. A country forged by the impulse toward States’ rights could not comfortably acquiesce to the centralization of power necessary to wage war over so wide a front. This or that Governor would refuse to give up his State militia for the greater war effort, or would squabble pettily over every federal encroachment on its powers. It seemed even the railroads could not agree – track gauges varied widely, and might enter a town as one width and come out the other side another width entirely. It was a legislative morass and a logistical nightmare.

The President of the Confederate States of America pondered the situation with some trepidation, but also with a good deal of confidence. The odds against him were great, but then so too were the odds against the founding fathers in 1776. He could win by not losing – the Union could win only by winning. He was optimistic that the war would be over before too long, but in the back of his mind and in his heart of hearts, he anticipated the possibility of a protracted struggle. But if the Confederacy could hold out long enough on the strategic defensive, and make the Yankees pay dearly enough for any incursion on Southern soil, he fully expected to win their independence.

To that end, his first acts in the Spring of 1861 were to attract volunteers to the Confederate cause by issuing a bounty of $2,000 per company, and to raise a maximum of funds by every means at his disposal: 8% War Bonds, exceptional (and exceptionally unpopular) taxes, and (reluctantly) printing paper money. Most of this money was immediately put towards bringing Confederate forces on the Potomac and in the Shenandoah valley up to strength as quickly as possible, commissioning brigs to bring in war supplies from abroad as well as two ironclads to form the nucleus of a navy to control the Mississippi, and creating mobile forces composed of cavalry and horse artillery to raid and counter raids in the wide open West. What remained of these resources were funnelled toward improving railroad transport capacity by ordering more rolling stock and attempting to standardize track guages.

Editorial, Charleston Mercury, Spring 1861:
Scarcely a month after the splendid pyrotechnic exhibition of the nearly bloodless bombardment of Fort Sumter, loyal Southerners must surely rejoice in having finally and irrevocably sundered the bonds of tyranny, which have lately held us in dismal subjection to the sectional despotism of the Northern States! We say, good riddance to the abolitionist fanaticism that has taken root in the foetid soil of the Republican Party, and farewell forever to the tyrant Lincoln, who spuriously claims we are in rebellion against the Union, when it is he who has subverted the hallowed Union of the Constitution by denying our right to secede therefrom! For it is we, following in the footsteps of our Revolutionary forefathers, who fight to defend our liberty, our property, indeed our very way of life from Northern aggression! I urge you, brave men of the South, to enlist immediately in this our righteous cause, lest you miss your chance to take part in writing the first and most glorious chapter by fighting for the freedom of the Confederate States! For let there be no doubt: this war shall not long endure, for whatever the South may lack in the way of armaments and supplies, our splendid soldiers and capable commanders will more than compensate by superior dash, daring, and fighting spirit! The dissolute Yankees, made soft and vain by their over-reliance on industry, will not have the stomach to fight so hard to preserve their unjust Union, as we will justly fight to defend home and hearth! The Federals will take one look at the flower of Southern manhood, and flee the field!

Letter to the Editor, Charleston Mercury, Spring 1861:
I am wont to respond to the editorial appearing the week prior. I hope to God, sir, that you are right, in that this shall be a war of short duration, for if hostilities should continue for any length of time, I fear we should be at a great disadvantage. I am not a defeatist by any means, only a realist, and I should like to remind your readers that the Northern States' productivity in all fields of industry surpasses our own on the order of 80-95 percent in some cases. Moreover, we are now cut off from the nearest and largest market for our cash crops, and our erstwhile source for innumerable goods we do not ourselves produce. Their population is on the order of some 20 millions, while we have but 9 millions, half of whom we cannot, of course, rely upon militarily to support the cause of our freedom at the expense of their own. My point, sir, is this: that I cannot foresee the current, exuberant war fever outlasting any sizeable, and thereby sobering engagement with an enemy army, and we should therefore consider that, being the weaker power, we should proceed with great caution, and consider that great sacrifices may be required of us - greater, indeed, than any of us may yet concieve. Our greatest assets, as I see it, are twofold: one, that we are the defender, and they must be the aggressor; two, that ours is a vast and eminently defensible territory. Given our wealth of territory and our relative paucity particularly in manpower, I suggest that if by sacrificing the former we may conserve the latter, then we should do so. Let the blood of the invader water our soil; then and only then may we yet see our tree of liberty flourish.
"I'm ashamed of you, dodging that way. They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance."ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage

John Sedgwick
Colonel

Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:28 am

Militia Camp, Fayetteville, AR, June 1861:
Major General Sterling Price was positively fuming. First, he had been so outraged by the St. Louis Massacre that he had pledged his sword for the Confederacy, despite being personally opposed to secession. Now, he wondered privately if he had made the wrong decision, and thrown in his lot with a pack of cowards, for his standing orders could certainly be called nothing less than cowardly. He had just received a despatch instructing him to take the state militia and abandon the greater part of Missouri, burning the depots and tearing up the rails along the way, and take up a defensive position behind the Arkansas River where he was to be joined by Benjamin McCulloch’s cavalry, and thenceforth to harass the enemy with hit-and-run raids. It did not sit well with him at all – the War Department presumed that superior Union forces were waiting in the wings, but his intelligence suggested nothing of the sort. He was itching to make a fight of it in his home state, but Missouri was apparently “not a priority.” Well, priorities be damned. The depots in Rolla and Springfield were by now in flames, but he would sit tight outside Fayetteville and monitor the situation; if they would not allow him to defend his home state, he would at least gather his militiamen across the border, and perhaps strike back when the time was ripe. He hoped McCulloch might be swayed to this liberal interpretation of orders, yet having never met the man, Price already resented his soon-to-be superior…
"I'm ashamed of you, dodging that way. They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance."ImageImage

Dadaan
Corporal

Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:12 pm

I'm usually not a huge fan of narrative AARs, but this is a good read! :thumbsup:
[color="Blue"]The Few, The Proud[/color]
[color="Red"]Semper Fidelis[/color]

John Sedgwick
Colonel

Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:25 pm

Thanks, Dadaan! Should be more later today

John Sedgwick
Colonel

Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:00 am

The White House of the Confederacy, Summer, 1861:
Jefferson Davis was still settling into his new home in Richmond, Virginia. He doubted whether he would ever feel truly secure in this place, so close to the Federal capital – but he reassured himself with the old maxim, keep your friends close, and your enemies even closer. Though the war was off to a galloping start, with victories at Manassas and Harper’s Ferry, his mood was yet gloomy. He suffered now from severe insomnia, pacing the halls, profoundly unsettled by the strategic plans he had just approved after weeks in consultation with the Secretaries of the Army and Navy, the Bureau of Ordnance, and his most trusted generals, admirals and advisors. Against his better judgment, he had agreed to a radically new direction for the long term, having come around to the conclusion that the war would last longer than the eighteen months for which they had initially planned. He conceived of it as a sort of “defensive-offensive” strategy, which would rely heavily on irregular forces acting separate from, but in concert with, the regular army to conduct a highly mobile, hit-and-run scorched earth campaign in the west, poised to strike through Kentucky by the end of the summer, while forming a flexible defensive line in the east, trading space for time if necessary but concentrating on the defence of Richmond from land and sea. Confederate rivers and coasts were, however, an altogether trickier frontier to defend, and it was here that the plan took its most drastic turn. The Army would attempt to defend only a few critical ports on the oceanic shores, while state militias would assemble further inland at strategic waterways and railway junctions to respond quickly to any attacks by sea. The Navy would henceforth receive a far larger proportion of resources, and Franklin Buchanan, recently promoted to Admiral, was dispatched to Louisiana to supervise the construction of a sizeable fleet to gain control of the Mississippi, where Naval Engineers were being recruited to turn New Orleans into a major shipyard for the Confederacy, in order to produce the novel, as-yet-unproven ironclads. The idea was to use innovative technology to compete with or even negate the Union’s numerical naval superiority. It was a daring plan which was already bearing fruit, as a CSN flotilla had just forced Federal gunboats under Admiral Foote to flee the confluence of the Mississippi with the Tennessee and Ohio rivers, which was identified as the focal point of naval efforts and the construction of forts and coastal artillery to guard this vital riverine crossroad. Davis hoped his costly gamble would pay off, but he would always have grave misgivings. If his hopes were sunk, it would be his greatest blunder and, he feared, the nation’s undoing.

John Sedgwick
Colonel

Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:20 am

Editorial, Charleston Mercury, Summer 1861:
It is the modest opinion of this journalist, informed by the expert testimony of high-ranking officers and officials whose identities cannot be disclosed herein, that the recent exorbitant expenditures on naval vessels cannot in any way be militarily justified, and may only be interpreted as pure blind folly on the part of our otherwise esteemed President, Mr. Jefferson Davis, who, we are told, has been deluded by certain vocal proponents to copy in prohibitively expensive quantities that untested hunk of iron, the CSS Virginia, which has lately sailed into Richmond harbour looking much like, as one observer quipped, "an overturned wash tub." It has been suggested that, if Mr. Davis should like ships to compete with the North, he might perhaps consider the recently proposed policy of self-embargo of cotton, which holds the possibility of bringing the British navy to bear on the blockade?

Letter to the Editor, Charleston Mercury, Summer 1861:
Dear Sir, I should like to point out to your readers that the proposed policy of self-embargo could potentially sway Britain's foreign policy in two ways, either for or against our cause, and I suspect its promoters may overestimate the importance of our cotton crop to the world market, as Britain and France might as easily turn to India or Egypt for its textile inputs. I should also like to remind you that a similar policy has previously been attempted, by the late President Jefferson of the now Disunited States; the Embargo Act of 1807 was met with yawning indifference in Europe at best - at worst, it led to war with Britain in 1812. I grant that stockpiling cotton may have the immediate benefit of shoring up our bonds in foreign markets, but I believe an embargo would, in the long run, only hinder our economy and hurt our international relations. That having been said, I wholeheartedly endorse your condemnation of this government's astonishingly misguided faith in untried naval technology.

OneArmedMexican
General

Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:21 am

Sedgwick, might I make one suggestion: Please post screenshots. I like reading AARs, it is nice to see how different strategies work out.

But I never read AARs that don't post screenshots. Without them there is just no way, to get a decent grasp of the situation.

John Sedgwick
Colonel

Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:43 pm

Since you asked nicely, I will post some screenshots, as soon as I have something interesting to show. Not too much going on right now. By the way, is there a hotkey for taking screenshots? Couldn't find anything in the manual.

John Sedgwick
Colonel

Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:45 pm

Missouri. Price & McCulloch are off screen in Fayette, AR. St. Louis depot is their objective.

The situation in Virginia. Magruder is off screen, watching the Peninsula.

Organizing coastal defenses. Huger is off screen in Norfolk, VA.

Possible invasion of Kentucky in early Fall, weather permitting.

OneArmedMexican
General

Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:19 pm

Thank you Sedgwick! I really appreciate it. :thumbsup:

I am looking forward to see more of this highly promising AAR.

There is no special key assigned for screenshots in ACW, just use the print key. But looking at your beautiful screenshots, I think I am not telling you anything new. :)

Interesting force you have there in Arkansas. Not enough to take St. Louis, but certainly well suited to execute some troblesome raids.

Dadaan
Corporal

Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:16 pm

Yea, those pictures help put it all together. I also agree, those forces in Arkansas should make a great raiding force.

John Sedgwick
Colonel

Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:18 pm

Thanks guys. McCulloch's raiding party won't try to take St. Louis until I can organize an Army of the West, but will cut the rail lines around it hopefully. Price will take over the Militia and also make a nuisance of himself by cutting rail links to Rolla and Jefferson. I anticipate supply being a problem for my deep raids, so if I can control the Mississippi up to St. Louis I'm hoping to resupply and evacuate them if necessary by river, while using coastal artillery to restrict passage in the confluence around Paducah. All in all, controlling the rivers should be a big help to my deep raids. I almost destroyed the depot in Quincy, IL, before being pushed out by a Union force, but at any rate this should convince him to garrison his depots along the major rivers ;)

Stay tuned for an update (with screenshots this time), hopefully later this evening.

John Sedgwick
Colonel

Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:44 am

Some more screenshots, narrative to follow.

2nd Manassas - a hard lump to swallow. Stonewall Jackson's cavalry was pursued and completely annihilated. A foolish mistake, but a lesson learned.

The strategic picture in Virginia. Considering abandoning Harper's Ferry, but not yet.

Polk prepares to invade Kentucky next turn. I'm hoping Yellowhammer's not yet prepared to respond.

McCulloch to raid the depot under construction in Jefferson. Risky move if he reinforces, so they're set to feint/probing attack. Raiding party sent by river to cut the rail lines east of St. Louis.

John Sedgwick
Colonel

Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:42 am

Real life has kept me busy, but I managed to play a couple more turns. I like doing the narrative thing, but I'm going to stick to screenshots and brief commentary from now on, and work on the story later if I feel like it.

Early November, 1861

Arkansas. Springfield, MO is under my control, but there are significant Union forces in St Louis and Lexington, MO. Van Dorn and McCulloch will go east by river. I am drawing down on the western front, but I want to keep as many Union forces tied down in MO as I can with raids. Sibley's Texan cavalry is coming north from the Southwest.

Traveling by river, the Army of Kentucky took Louisville on day 15 last turn, but they're exhausted, disorganized, and a Union force under Shields (250 pwr) remains in the area. Destroying the depot in Lexington and repairing the rail to Louisville, so Johnston can withdraw to Bowling Green, to be joined by a unit of Engineers. I might set up a depot in Bowling Green with transports. I'm hoping Yellowhammer will be lured from his supply lines into wintry Kentucky, where I can counterattack along that railway or cut him off by river.

Virginia. I am shortening my defensive line, refusing battle, and following a scorched earth strategy here as well so I can concentrate my forces, and Joe Johnston will try to squash Butler's Command in Fort Monroe (approx 600 pwr). Tough nut to crack, so I've ordered some Columbiads. Even if I can't take it, I can pin down that force for a while.

Possible raids/campaign in West Virginia when the rivers thaw in '62. Red X's show depots to be destroyed (Harper's Ferry, Strasburg, and Ironton already gone). If I could build a depot with transports on the river, defend it, and keep a strong raiding force in supply here, WV's mountainous terrain would be perfectly suited for guerrilla warfare. I'm an insurgent government, and I'm going to fight like one ;)

OneArmedMexican
General

Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:28 am

A very interesting AAR, especially since you use some unusual approaches.

For example few Southern players invade Kentucky. Usually people are happy to keep things peaceful on that front as long as possible. Even with your limited troops, your move might work. But it also exposes you to the threat of being cut off by a Union attack on Bowling Green and Nashville.

One piece of advice: Columbiads are nice to have, but they are rather cost inefficient. The best artillery buy for the South are 6lb guns. Why? They are the cheapest artillery [I]and[I] they upgrade into 12lb rather quickly. Its the only artillery that can upgarde (and it took me a year of playing the game until I noticed).

Dadaan
Corporal

Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:34 am

Looking great. I'm interested to see if that raiding will work out in West Virginia. Makes me want to try that my next game.

John Sedgwick
Colonel

Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:56 am

Thanks guys. Good to know about the 6 pounders. I was happy to keep Kentucky neutral too, but KY defaults to the Union if it hasn't seceded by November, and the best I could hope for was a 55% chance - wasn't worth a coin toss. My plan is to present some juicy targets in Louisville and the Shenandoah and possibly counterattack if he tries to occupy them in winter, although my forces will be relatively weak since I've focused so much on the navy. I will fortify Bowling Green so I can continue to pose a threat on the Ohio river. Buchanan's Mississippi Fleet will guard the great confluent, where a large defensive force under Bragg will fortify in Paducah, KY. A. S. Johnston's Army of Kentucky is actually destined to be a raid in force into West Virginia - the name is part of an elaborate ruse. I want to move the battlespace somewhere he isn't expecting, maybe even open a second front in the east. McCulloch's Raiders will join Bragg and the Fleet in Paducah to pose a credible threat to points unknown on the Ohio or Mississippi rivers. I have invested heavily in river and rail transport infrastructure, and some transports to build my own depots while destroying his by river. It'll be very risky - I want to avoid any decisive engagements, because if he catches my forces they'll likely be destroyed. If it works, it should disrupt his supply or at least delay any push southward in those areas. The idea is to create a barren no man's land between our forces, and try to force him to attack through certain strategic corridors where we can control or disrupt the river or rail routes which are his potential lines of communications.

This is my Mississippi Fleet, soon to be joined by another ironclad. Two more ironclads from Mobile and New Orleans will form the nucleus of a fleet to stand guard just north of the eastern branch of the Mississippi near Wood, LA, possible future site of coastal artillery. Frankly I'm a bit worried right now because he just moved a big fleet into the James Estuary, where I have only the one 'clad, but I'm hoping he'll try landing near Richmond or Norfolk. If it looks like he could take the capital I won't hesitate to order another scorched earth withdrawal and relocate to Montgomery, AL - it would actually suit my river guerrilla strategy just fine in the long run - but I'll try to hold on to Norfolk if I can and set up coastal artillery there as well.

John Sedgwick
Colonel

Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:49 pm

I imagine Yellowhammer has already said as much in his AAR, but the game will be delayed a few days due to storms and tornadoes in his area. I hope he and his loved ones are safe, if only so I can resume kicking some blue-belly butt ;)

John Sedgwick
Colonel

Tue May 03, 2011 7:47 pm

Things are back on track and getting interesting. Don't have time to upload screenshots but I have some saved and waiting. Union raids destroyed two depots in Florida, and were repulsed at Charleston, SC and Hampstead, TX, but were able to retreat. Not sure what Yellowhammer was hoping to accomplish by these raids - they aren't critical to my infrastructure and apparently he didn't plan on using them himself. But the defence of Charleston was a near thing - I will have to be wary, station forces in major ports and garrison depots along critical railways and riverways. At least now I have an idea of what to expect in terms of the compisition of his marine raiding divisions and the officers leading them, and a scouting mission in VA has determined that they returned safely to port likely in Baltimore. Nothing I can do about his naval superiority in coastal waters so I try not to worry about it too much, but I'm hoping to use columbiads as an alternative form of coastal artillery on the James Estuary, and I'm moving my James river fleet to Albemarle Bay, NC, to avoid combat with coastal ships. I now have two ironclad fleets in the Mississippi, one in the Ohio Confluent, the other in the Grand Confluent, with three ironclads each supported by transports and divided into rotating patrols, covered by coastal artillery where possible. I suspect he will try to break my control of the Mississippi, and if not, I hope to force the issue in Kentucky. I have successfully counterattacked at Louisville but didn't do any serious harm - if he tries to advance on Louisville again I hope to counterattack decisively with A. S. Johnston's Army and T. Jackson's marine raiding division which is waiting (hopefully in fog of war) on the railway between Louisville and Bowling Green. If he tries to cut me off at Bowling Green, Nashville, Forts Henry and Donelson, or if U. S. Grant tries to flank J. Johnston's Army of Mississippi in Paducah, I am prepared for that as well. I'm raising divisions in LA, AL and MS to defend New Orleans, Mobile and Vicksburg, respectively, along with Militia to garrison the major railways. I'm relatively weak everywhere else, at least until I can organize some good defensive corps, but 1862 is shaping up to be a very dramatic year.

John Sedgwick
Colonel

Tue May 03, 2011 8:36 pm

Some screenshots from last turn...

Jackson’s River Raiders. Van Dorn and McCulloch tried to raid the depot north of Cairo, IL, but failed to take it. Hopefully they can cut the rail lines before they get swatted.

New Orleans Force and Semmes’ Louisiana Fleet

Columbiad Batteries on the coastal approaches to Richmond

John Sedgwick
Colonel

Fri May 06, 2011 5:04 am

Buchanan's Mississippi Fleet is defeated by Foote at the Battle of Fall Creek and limps back to port in Paducah. Two ironclads of the Louisiana Fleet are sent north to help him regain control of the Ohio River.

Union forces under George Thomas tried to attack A. S. Johnston from the west, but were sent packing by the boys in butternut.

Colston's Division is sent to counter a possible landing near Wilmington. Charleston I will concede if he returns in force, but I need to defend the depots and ports in North Carolina. Unfortunately I've stripped my coastal defences to reinforce Virginia.

Withers' Command leads a counterattack on U. S. Grant's Corps, Polk will hopefully join the attack by rail in two days with the bulk of the Army of Tennessee (name changed automatically for some reason). Unfortunately neither Jackson nor Johnston were activated this turn, so I don't expect their subordinates to perform well against the formidable Grant.

I have surrendered the initiative in the east and my forces are relatively static, which means I'm entrenched nicely, but I worry that I may be outmanoeuvred here. The Army of the James sits on the peninsula. McClellan sits in Manassas with an army of approximately 2500 PWR. Longstreet has repulsed two assaults on Culpepper, VA, raising his defensive stat to a formidable 7.

Plans for an invasion of West Virginia are put on hold indefinitely, at least until I can regain control of the Ohio River. I imagine Yellowhammer has garrisoned practically all his depots by now, which was the desired effect of these operations, but wherever I go he will quickly read my intentions, so any large long distance raids would likely be destroyed. However, I need to apply consistent pressure to keep him thinking about his rear, so rail junctions and harbours will be the main targets from now on. I am now able to recruit partisans and light infantry, and I intend to raise as many as I can and place them under fast moving leaders, in divisions composed of light infantry supported by bushwhacker cavalry and some horse artillery, that can move rapidly over rought terrain and still pack a punch.

John Sedgwick
Colonel

Tue May 10, 2011 8:38 am

It's Late August and the war is going well for the Confederacy. Holmes and Forney handily defeated Union armies at Charlottesville and Williamsburg, respectively, bringing my NM up to 117, and I have now taken the lead in VPs. My strategy of using the major rivers as force multipliers and avenues for raiding appears to be working - if I can keep Kentucky and Virginia locked down and maintain control of the Mississippi and Ohio rivers, I'll be well on my way to victory. I haven't seen Foote again since he and Buchanan tussled in Fall Creek though, which worries me, but I've steadily built up my naval forces (focusing on gunboats now to fill out my river blockades), and built forts at Paducah, Columbus and New Orleans, so I'm confident I can keep Ole Man River on my side. I'm less confident about the Alabama River, and Yellowhammer just sent a fleet to Ft. Pickens - probably just another raid, but I have a division in Mobile in case of invasion. Except for artillery I've stopped building land forces, focusing instead on industry and infrastructure (gotta spend all that money somehow), expanding my replacement pool, ensuring key garrisons have supply wagons to withstand sieges, and building depots to move supplies more efficiently to Virginia and the Appalachians.

It's a pity I wasn't able to start my West Virginia raids sooner, and that Quantrill only just recovered from injuries, but if I can hold onto my newly constructed depot in Floyd, KY, I should be well placed for major raids in 63. I've ordered a second major raid on Wheeling (the first one was an act of desperation because my forces were almost out of supply - I won the battle but failed to take the city) as a last huzzah before the weather cools down. I hope to give Yellowhammer some major headaches in this area - from my base in Floyd, in a single turn I can concentrate approx. 700 pwr as far away as Pittsburgh, or split up into four or five forces of anywhere between 90-300 pwr, without any combat penalty, each with the pillage ability, some with the ability to ambush. N. Forrest's division has just received a regiment of marines, and depending on how things go I will probably send a marine regiment to J. Walker as well, so they can move like lightning on the rivers. Should be a lot of fun - I wish I could build more light infantry and marines, they make a killer combo with bushwhackers :evilgrin:

John Sedgwick
Colonel

Thu May 12, 2011 5:12 am

Quick update. It's now Early December, 1862. I managed to destroy the depot at Wheeling, WV, and withdraw before the rivers froze. I've won almost every major battle (except the debacle at 2nd Manassas), mostly in the trenches, although I suffered heavy losses at Charlottesville, VA a few turns back. Yellowhammer tells me General Schurz was killed in the battle of Williamsburg, which is heartening. Heading into '63, I have taken a solid lead in NM (currently 116 to the Union's 96), slight lead in VPs. FI is around -65, I issued an embargo a while back, more for the NM boost than anything else, but none of the FI rolls have been in my favour, and Yellowhammer recently issued the Emancipation Proclamation, so it looks like intervention is off the table. My WV raiders have been transferred to Virginia to form a strong cavalry reserve to support my armies in Charlottesville and Fredericksburg, since they are no longer in adjacent regions. Yellowhammer briefly withdrew from Culpepper, VA, presumably hoping I would leave my trenches so he could pounce by rail. If I had been able to cut the rail lines in Culpepper during the turn it was empty, I would've tried to retake that valuable real estate, but my scouting party was delayed by weather, and he reoccupied it the turn after that. I suspect he will try another series of seaborne raids during the winter, so I'll have to leave some fire brigades along important coastal regions.

I am unsure how to proceed. I'm in a good position as it is, but I feel as if I've wasted my early war advantage in leadership by letting my talented offensive generals stagnate in the trenches, and I'm itching to sieze the initiative somehow, although trench warfare has served me well. I've placed the bulk of my cavalry and horse artillery under J.E.B. Stuart and N. Forrest, supported by light infantry and a complement of marines, and these may form the spearhead of a campaign to retake the Shenandoah Valley and possibly beyond, depending on how the situation progresses.

John Sedgwick
Colonel

Thu May 12, 2011 8:25 am

The Battle of Fredericksburg - the bloodiest battle to date is a Confederate victory, but Lee is forced to retreat.

The situation in the east. Forces converge on Louisa, VA - wish I'd built some trenches here beforehand! Despite their losses, Union forces remain potent. Also pictured is the above-mentioned cavalry reserve, which saw its first action at Fredericksburg.

The situation in Kentucky has been pretty static other than raiding.

My beloved CSN hasn't seen much use but its very existence should hopefully deter any Anaconda strategy.

John Sedgwick
Colonel

Thu May 12, 2011 8:30 pm

Fredericksburg falls. Lee needs his best corps commander in Virginia, so Jackson is redeployed; G. W. Smith will take his place in Kentucky. Jackson, J.E.B. Stuart and N. Forrest are ordered to advance on Culpepper to threaten the Federals' flank, as Wharton's cavalry reports they are relatively weak in Manassas and the Shenandoah. Holmes' and Johnson's Corps dig in at Louisa, VA - they should be supported by both the Army of Northern Virginia, which is sent to Albemarle, and by Beauregard's Army of the Potomac located in Richmond. If I could assign Forney to the AoNV I would, so he could be supported by Longstreet's Corps at West Point, but alas I am unable to do so. E. Alexander's siege train was moved to Richmond; hopefully Forney alone can halt any attempt by Butler to advance on the Peninsula.

I considered stripping my defenses at Louisville to fool Yellowhammer into thinking they were bound for Virginia, entice him to attack, and then counterattack by rail from Bowling Green, but most of my new divisions are coming from Kentucky, so I can't afford to leave them exposed. I might try this in another turn or two, hopefully when the weather clears up on the rivers, so I can sortie the Ohio Fleet and cut off his retreat by river. Apparently I've already missed two opportunities to decimate the Army of the Ohio, so I would love to take another crack at it - with only one railway to worry about and control of the river, this would be the perfect place to hand him a decisive setback.

John Sedgwick
Colonel

Fri May 13, 2011 4:43 am

Mutually supporting corps form a defensive line from Culpepper to Williamsburg. Forney recently repulsed another attack on the peninsula; Longstreet is transferred to the Army of the Potomac to support Forney in any future battles. The bulk of Holmes' Corps is placed under Johnson's command - hopefully any defense of Louisa should be supported by Lee, Beauregard and Longstreet. Stuart and Forrest return to the Army of Northern Virginia to act as a cavalry reserve. Thanks to Belle Boyd, Lee receives intelligence that Whipple commands a large force in Baltimore including marines, possibly preparing for coastal raids. Confederate commerce raiders, recently recalled from the shipping lanes, will attempt to shadow their movements if and when they leave port.

Bowling Green, Nashville, and Donelson defenses are stripped to reinforce Polk's Corps in Kentucky. A.S. Johnston considers an attack on Lexington, but Polk suggests a daring plan to either cut them off by river, or cut their supply lines by destroying the depot in Cincinnati, relying on the Ohio Fleet to offer artillery support and prevent reinforcement. Johnston has his doubts, but decides it is worth the risk. Supply wagons are sent from the garrisons in Paducah and Columbus to support Polk's operation, and naval engineers are dispatched from Memphis to bring the Ohio Fleet back up to strength as quickly as possible. The Ohio Flotilla is sent from Floyd to obstruct the river crossing near Cincinatti, while Mosby and Quantrill will lead raids to cut the rail lines in the rear, thus partially negating the enemy advantage of interior lines.

Jim-NC

Fri May 13, 2011 5:37 pm

FYI,

Corps only support other corps in the same army. So if Longstreet is attached to the AOP, and Holmes is attached to the ANV, they will not MTSG for each other. Also, when a corps is formed, it attaches to the closest Army (which is why Forney would only attach to the AOP (it was closer).
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

John Sedgwick
Colonel

Fri May 13, 2011 9:27 pm

Jim - thanks for the reply. I understand corps can only MTSG to corps in the same army, but I have two corps from two different armies in the same location (Louisa), so my hope was that, if they were both involved in the defense, they might call in support from both their respective armies (so Longstreet would support Johnson, Lee would support Holmes - is this possible?), but I'm a bit iffy on that - is there a limit to the number of corps that can MTSG to any one place? If so, I guess I'd be better off moving Holmes' small corps to Lee's location in Albemarle, or maybe Charlottesville.

EDIT: Oh, I also found an easy way to attach a corps to a more distant army - temporarily disband the closer army. Surprised I didn't think of this earlier.

John Sedgwick
Colonel

Fri May 13, 2011 9:48 pm

Hmm, reading up on MTSG logic in this thread and others, I now wish I had attacked Lexington head on as I'd originally planned, before Yellowhammer had a chance to repair the railway there. Thomas would be, what, 7 days away from Keyes' Corps in winter? Probably wouldn't have MTSG'd as I feared. Oh well, I don't like attacking in winter (though I suppose it would negate some of his artillery advantage), and I'm looking forward to the chance to use the Ohio Fleet.

EDIT: Also, I'm going to start giving my corps in the east "move by rail" orders when I have excess capacity, that should vastly increase the chance to MTSG, and hopefully give Yellowhammer some nasty surprises.

tagwyn
AGEod Guard of Honor

yellowhammer v. sedgwick??

Sat May 14, 2011 7:57 am

Is Y'hammer completly and totally inept? t :confused:

Return to “American Civil War AARs”