GraniteStater
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:13 am

Late Nov 61

Sorry, enf91 - no comprendo nada.

VA

Schurz has landed. Williamsburg & the lower Peninsula are mine. It's going to take 23 days for Schurz to Richmond - the quicker route is still more than one Turn and he would have to cross a river. So, slow and steady, entering on dry ground. Lee is strong enough, more than enough.

The CSA AoP came down and engaged Hooker.

I can live with this. Hooker is still in Louisa. McClellan can come down in 500ish strength, but is Inactive. MC is CSA 38%, so Jackson can use the RR.

The amphibious force is about 700+ PWR, altogether. Heintzleman can come up from lower down - maybe get another Div organized.

I took HF with a small force.

I'm looking for Jackson to come party. I am exposed to defeat in detail, but I think I may have changed the outlook in VA. Nothing accomplished yet. Would like to, if nothing else, lay siege to Richmond. I really need to make this my game, here - he has Partial Mobilzation coming in two Turns.

KY

Polk stayed still. Grant retreats. Not too many Reinforcements lately; let's be prudent. Polk is darn near 1000 PWR. Navy is in good shape here, strong and fit.

MO

He gathers strength - his in one place, mine is spread out a bit more. Need More.

LOYALTIES

KY doing well, although Confederate. Baltimore is 33% - well for this time of the war.

FI 88, his NM 128, mine is 88.
[color="#AFEEEE"]"Liberty and Union, now and forever, one and inseparable!"[/color]
-Daniel Webster

[color="#FFA07A"]"C'mon, boys, we got the damn Yankees on the run!"[/color]
-General Joseph Wheeler, US Army, serving at Santiago in 1898

RULES
(A) When in doubt, agree with Ace.
(B) Pull my reins up sharply when needed, for I am a spirited thoroughbred and forget to turn at the post sometimes.

pesec
Corporal

Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:46 am

FI is getting dangerously high. I have never seen it so high in 61. Did every roll go against you? 1 unlucky roll (on either side) can send Britain into the war.

If there is a battle around richmond, don't you risk unlocking Lee? Lee + Jackson + Longstreet + CSA numbers (relative to Union) in 62 + union generals of 62 can be a deadly combination. At least until some cigars get lost :bonk:

GraniteStater
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:13 am

Far from an expert, but - yeah, from his emails, he's been throwing sevens.

McClellan will come dowm from F-burg. Hooker could well take a beating (I really hope to not lose elements - Hooker could retreat, but I won't, I want to tie PGT down). McClellan is Inactive and I hope, perhaps with no sound reason, to delay PGT. Jackson is going to show up, I would bet; he can use the RR to enter the Richmond region - plus J. Johnston in Manassas.

The stacks in the Peninsula total around 700+ PWR. McClellan is at about 500 right now, Hooker is spent, but PGT is not powerful, either. Perhaps I can send him packing or make him bleed.

Truly, I have no idea what is going to happen. If I can get a viable siege out of it, good. Perhaps we will have a major action on open ground. In any case, I may have been able to get Northern VA out of the quagmire and just might be able to seize Manassas and get some operating room going.

Mostly, in this case, I'm playing the man, not the ground - P. Cleburne is too good, I can ill afford to just do More of the Same in NoVA and watch FI go thru the roof. Maybe, just maybe, something will break my way - a significant turn of events might send that FI back down, not to mention his NM.

The only thing I have going of great import is the agreed upon rules. Volunteers for him until Late Dec61 helped slow his recruiting down, but he gets Partial in two turns.

He is a very, very good opponent. Dum dee dum against P. Cleburne is a frog boiling in water. I feel I must do something unexpected, try to make him react to me.

Thanks,
GS
[color="#AFEEEE"]"Liberty and Union, now and forever, one and inseparable!"[/color]

-Daniel Webster

RULES

(B) Pull my reins up sharply when needed, for I am a spirited thoroughbred and forget to turn at the post sometimes.

GraniteStater
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:59 pm

Early Dec 61

VA

Alexandria Captured by Jackson

If I bring everyone available into Richmond, including McClellan & Hooker, I have near 1500 - 1600 PWR, when topped out. Lee, in the city, is around 600 and change. PGT is around 500 right now. I am going to split off Runyon's Div in AoP and attack PGT, hoping to get everyone in the Region attacking - I have local superiority and he is still just sandbagged.

McDowell is approaching and shall join Schurz. Luckily, the weather holds.

Can blockade Richmond, no question - Farragut's (Williamsburg) guns may be useful in any early Assault (Level 2 Fortress, though).

Jackson is around 500 PWR, when in good shape, but is exhausted right now. I have Reinforcements coming to Baltimore and part of the HF force (Nelson). although moving to Winchester, can swing back (RRs need fixing in HF, though) to command Balt/DC reaction forces, if needed. I'm not too worried about DC, although...

J. Johnston, in Manassas, is very strong. My G2 on TJ & JJ is limited, but I have a fair idea of their strengths.

Still raising trrops, a small but steady stream of Bdes coming dowm "Interstate 95".

Press on, boys! Richmond would be an excellent prize - s. t. like 25% of CSA recruiting is off the board, once taken and held.

KY

Grant is allowed to retire across the Ohio - if I may, I would've attacked him, his G2 must have been showing the strength in his favor and, who knows? maybe a lucky shot would've taken Grant right out of the game.

Upper KY gets ready, gets ready...some RR repair & such stuff.

MO

Need to address this more, now - Price has a slight but telling theater superiority in numbers right now, at least against Lyons. I hope my Cav has kept his ferrets down and depressed and thus, doesn't know squat about Lyons. Again, more guys coming, not quite as many as I would like, but with any luck, can hold Springfield and build up here.

NM 83, FI 84, his NM 132 (!) - maybe we can give the Charleston Mercury a drop in circulation.

Replacements burned through five chits for groundpounders - Historical Attrition and winter will do that, I guess - plus some blood to replace.

-Daniel Webster

RULES

Johnny Reb
Private

Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:42 pm

Just a quick note to let you know how much I enjoy reading your AAR. I'm amazed with the pace that y'all are moving this along. :hat:

Good comeback, but know it's against my nature to root for those dang yankees. :D
Here's a "Rebel Yell" shoutout to "Stonewall" Cleburne! :dada:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

GraniteStater
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:53 pm

Know any good steakhouses in Richmond? With seating for, oh, 15,000?

Don't tell me I gotta make a reservation.

Thanks for the stop by & comments,
GS

-Daniel Webster

RULES

GraniteStater
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:51 pm

Late Dec 61

A Christmas present - no bloodshed (or is that 'digished'?).

VA

Further scouting (another mouseover) revealed a misread by G2 - me. PGT is closer to 700 PWR; winter, entrenchments, even lighter ones; let's be a little prudent, retreat to F-burg, where we can refit and threaten his northern concentrations - maybe west to Charlottesville, to disrupt RR communications between PGT, Richmond, and NoVA (and take a Strat City) - maybe even go back to Williamsburg, embark, swing up the Potomac, debark at DC and then have all concentrate on NoVA before PGT and Richmond forces could show up - hmmm...crazy enough to have some merit, it's a classic method of Napoleon's; advance on one component and eliminate it before his support shows up.

KY

Concentrate at Cairo, finish preps in northern KY.

MO

Worrisome - Price is 400 PWR, 3:2 over Lyons; another Bde coming up - don't go to sleep here.

New $$, Men Decisions now - he gets to Partially Mobilize, if he wants to - I can raise $$$$ and buy Volunteers.

Forgot to look at Objectives - probably no astounding good news...I get to Blockade again & maybe after his choices, HM Gov't decides that after the subpar performance of the Crimean War, maybe getting involved in North America three times in four generations would be unwise.

-Daniel Webster

RULES

Jim-NC

Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:11 am

We'll call it the Christmas Truce.
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

GraniteStater
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:55 am

Early Jan 62

VA

A lone troublemaking pesky Bde of his on the Peninsula put a piece of gum in the works. He ttok Williamsburg - so can't park Farragut there right away. This Bde kept slipping past Heintzleman's modest little force and now has messed with the schedule. Bye bye - about to be squashed by McDowell, moving to W-burg. We will collect ourselves and execute Operation ReverseLanding, largely because:

* Lone Bde takes Strafford, so we can land without Amphib restrictions

* Another lone Bde moves quickly (well, quicker than McClellan's entourage - 24 days!) towards C-ville to mess with his RR commo, grab a Strat City (it's lightly held), give him lotsa flies to swat, distract, annoy & tick him off

* Irish Bde joins McClellan

Gathering forces in Baltimore; Nelson took Winchester at Christmas, a Turn ago. That pesky outfit in W-burg sure set things back a Turn - we shall see what develops; if Lee moves out towards McDowell, he is too late - McDowell is 1 Day away from W-burg. I am open to some swatting around, but nothing crushing (I hope).

KY

Grant gathers strength; Fitz Porter to be joined by Thomas (**), hook up RR, move on BG, start to make him think about things.

MO

Lyons acquires some Arty & some more grunts - near 400 PWR, doin' OK here, eventually can outnumber him and straightforwardly advance on western Arkansas.

DECISIONS

His Cotton Embargo was -17; displeased the UK.

Northern muscle starts to flex - I have enough moolah to pay $3,000 a Volunteer company.

He stuck with Volunteers - if he's paying for them, I dunno - no Partial - why, I dunno, ask P. Cleburne.

Naval scene is better - he likes to one basket his Runners in the Gulf; Palmer with the sail frigates and a coupla Brigs is about to paint his gunwhales, I hope. Porter showed up & I have two 4xClad + 2 Gunny + 2 TP fleets under him and Foote.

-Daniel Webster

RULES

GraniteStater
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:34 am

Late Jan 62

VA

Heintzleman joins McDowll in W-burg. The single Bde in Culpeper Co got smacked silly by Bee's Div and reeled back to F-burg; too bad; we shall see if Cleburne lets me get away with this movement and land McDowell in Stafford. Berry (**) forms a rough "corps" with a Div under Kearny and a Div under McCall - advances to Loudon, to greet T. Jackson with a "Hey, mind if I bring some friends to your little soiree?"

By spring, I hope to have Manassas & F-burg in my hands without an argument. A much better position from which to campaign in 62. The Peninsula is now on the chalkboard - maybe it will drain some forces of his from NoVA.

KY

A Wagon sent to join two others so Thomas/Porter don't have to stop fixing RRs and be in a position to advance. Grant needs some Div Leaders; the rivers are navigable, surprisingly, although the weather is Harsh. Let's not get boats trapped in ice, please!

MO

Watch (Cav) and wait.

Forgot to ask for The Blockade - will lose 1 NM; his dropped a tick to 133 (pahhh-teee!); them funny furriners' thoughts are the same.

Econ, Men, Stuff in good shape - keeping RR at 100% or quite near - not shabby, not shabby - maybe weird and offbeat, but I'll take it - I have a feeling P. Cleburne is enjoying this game.

Just some wild & crazy guys!

-Daniel Webster

RULES

GraniteStater
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:40 pm

Early Feb 62

VA

McDowell sails to land at Stafford. Minimal forces in Williamsburg & James City to keep for future debarkations and make the oppo peel off forces to retake. Berry, with Kearny & McCall, goes to Loudon where Nelson, with four regiments in three Bdes, joins him. Meagher, with the Irish Bde, splits off from McClellan and marches to take a stab at Charlottesville again - Strat City, RR interruption, distraction & annoyance. As is apparent by now, I'm trying to wedge apart his northern and central concentrations. If I can do this, I can secure NoVA, including Winchester and the upper Valley, and maybe give him a good kick in the shins of Jackson and J.Johnston.

KY

Sherman shows up in Cairo and gets a Div; Thomas moves directly to BG to take it (a Strat Town). STs and SCs are almost always worth it - Loyalty checks are trggered.

MO

Lyons gets a regiment and has a slight superiority in numbers.

The Blockade persuades HM Gov't to think better of things - FI is in the 40s. NM in the 80s; his is 130+; all in all, not bad.

-Daniel Webster

RULES

GraniteStater
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:19 pm

Late Feb 62

VA

McDowell has landed - half spent; his full strength will be around 8-900 PWR. McClellan is 1100; Berry 900. Jackson in Alexandria is 1000; so is PGT in Louisa; J. Johnston is the wealest at 500+. What to do? Mulling it over. I hope this surprises Cleburne and he sees now why I wanted Strafford's Harbor. More building up north of te Potomac and smaller forces approaching from the panhandle of WVA. Promising - Corps and Armies next Turn - that will favor my esteemed opponent for a while.

The Irish Bde approaches Charlottesville - misson: cut his aorta.

KY

Thomas took BG. Bragg?? stares at him with 500 PWR - Thomas a step less, no more than near 400, at the most.

MO

Glower, glower, gather power.

His FI is four-and-forty!! His NM 136; mine is doing about as well as you can expect right now, at 85.

Which crimps the US organizational structure - now that you've built up NM to something better than Outright Bad, do you want to fritter it away on Army promotions and the like that do not give the HQs to Bozo_1, Bozo_2, Bozo_3? HQs are $$ hogs, take time to build - you could have three Divs on the field for a couple of HQs. Mr. Lincoln's worries are far from over...

You need Armies and Corps from now on, the maneuvering rules change. Patience is a virtue, but anyone who knows me well will tell you that it an acquired skill for me - I am a reasonable man, but always want to move NOW.

Keep momentum, however small, going. Just keep the vectors pointed in the right directions - chip away one sliver at a time, if need be.

-Daniel Webster

RULES

Johnny Reb
Private

Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:22 pm

GraniteStater wrote:Know any good steakhouses in Richmond? With seating for, oh, 15,000?

Don't tell me I gotta make a reservation.

Boy, are you in luck GraniteStater! I know this nice little spot just outside of town that would be perfect. You may have heard of it...Cold Harbor Steak and Lead! Just tell your boys to come on in from the east like they did in 1862 and we'll make sure they get seated right away. :dada:
No reservations needed. The trenches are first come, first serve. ;)

If you get lost, just ask McClellan for directions. He remembers how to get here...or should I say, how to retreat from here. :D
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

GraniteStater
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:40 am

Early Mar 62

Corps and Armies form

VA

McDowell retreats to join McClellan in the face of Jackson's advance on Strafford. Light force in Williamsburg kicked out. Berry, Hamilton, McDowell form Corps in the AoP under McClellan. What to do, what to do...

Irish Bde is exhausted; force marching to safety in the Valley - mission unaccomplished. Berry lost PWR, eill not attack Johnston right now - have to make these next Turns count.

KY

Bragg goes downstream and takes Paducah; Thomas advances - Loyalty is OK in BG. Organization to be finished in Cairo; but may advance with an independent Grant column in considerable strength.

MO

Sige and Jeff. C. Davis appear. Let's build some more, use Davis as a Div commander.

I have decided to go the expensive route and build HQs for all ***s and give them to them in order - slow & $$, but may be worth it.

-Daniel Webster

RULES

GraniteStater
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:49 am

Late March 62

VA

This is gonna sound crazy - bring a HQ down to Butler with some Bdes. Continue on up to Tappahannock(?), which Hamilton, or maybe a single Bde seizes so that the transport fleet (Farragut) drops off a Med Co. Having a Harbor there could be quite useful. Berry continues to be reinforced, somewhat heavily. Again, the theme will be to use superior force to cut off his northern commands from Richmond, or threaten Richmond. Coming up the Peninsula again, most probably as part of a co-ordinated campaign, is not out of the question.

KY

Navy ensures safe passage of Sherman to #10. He will have difficulty marching to immediate relief. I hope the the garrison is weak, and storm it within one to two Turns. Thomas threatens Fort Donelson. More men coming up.

MO

Foster taked command of Lyons and Sigel - perhaps Davis with a small Div, will join. Fremont gets a HQ to shut him up.

-Daniel Webster

RULES

GraniteStater
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:54 am

Early Apr 62

VA

Continuing with the plan. I would very much like to cut off the whole kit and kaboodle in northern VA. Make F-burg too expensive to contemplate assaulting, strike west to Charlottesville or south to Richmond.

KY

Grant in AllOut Assault posture (Sherman wasn't Active), goes to reduce #10. He can't cross the Ohio quickly enough; gambling with communications, but...Thomas approached Donelson. More people coming, a new Div from Louisville.

MO

Getting ready for springtime in the Ozarks.

-Daniel Webster

RULES

GraniteStater
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:14 pm

Late Apr 62

VA

Things are getting really interesting. Cleburne has about 2500 PWR in three Corps in Alexandria. I have a 500 Div+ in the field, hardy dug in. DC's garrison is about 525. He has to cross the Potomac (maybe Farragut here? - could change the plan), but could most probably do so, swat Franklin away, and storm DC, all in one Turn.

So we will be prudent - can't have Johnny Reb chipping Mrs. Lincoln's good china. Cannot lose DC.

* Kearny, still an AoP Corps, rails to DC in 12 days - he is at 1500+ and would interfere mightily with any fractious Rebs. Nelson withdraws to HF and joins Butterfield, all loose Bdes, awaiting Blenker's MC assertion process from the western panhandle. Again, Farragut in the Potomac could help, maybe - he is mostly a TP fleet right now.

* Hamilton's Corps continues to squat on the RR from Richmond, but doesn't deny rail altogether there - rather than bust Hooker or Runyon loose towards Charlottesvillle (he has strength in Richmond), the lone Cav Bde SW of C-ville tears up track - deny all rail to NoVA.

* The two Macs stay in F-burg. Stuart had retaken Tappahannock - he can have it and send two Bdes pell mell to F-burg, it's not essential - is a nice thing, and still can be, but that can wait, the immediate debarkation would've been just a Med Co and one Bde, anyway. Instead, AoP and McDowell stay in F-burg at about 1200 PWR total, entrenched - he can reach Fredericksburg in one Turn, but even 2500 PWR crossing the Rappahannock and storming my position would be pricey, I would think, and Hamilton is next door with clear ground all the way.

* Cut him off from Richmpnd. The last HQ right now goes to Banks, who leaves recruiting in NYC to join the HQ in Baltimore, Kearny and Franklin to be his Corps.

* A smallish force in Ft. Monroe is Butler's Army. A potential point of attack.

Somewhat risky for a 'conservative and prudent' plan. At the very least, I would like to think it guards against catastrophe in DC and avoids a crushing defeat in Fredericksburg, while maintaining the isolation threat to his forces in NoVA.

KY/TN

Grant takes #10 and repulses Bragg's attempted relief (how did he get there so fast?). Supply is OK for the moment. AS Johnston and Bragg are powerful. My river navy is tired, but a sharp attack aginst Buchanan, pinning him against my guns at #10, might put paid to this jumped up commodore.

Must hustle here to avoid isolation or defeat. Thomas is entirely spent after a force half his size under Forrest defeated him ina quite embarrasing manner. He is limping to BG to join the medium Div there - if the force in Nashville advances determinedly, all bells would break loose. Not good, but there is not much to do but retreat. I hope Forrest catches a stray bullet in his next action.

MO

Foster forms an independent corps with Lyons and Curtis (three Cav Bdes) as Divs. He exceeds Price by about 100 PWR. McCook goes to command the othe Cav formation - an advance could quite well be in order, but Springfield needs to be held against the disloyal secessionists.

FI 50; his NM 134; 90 NM. Acceptable. Economy, recruiting, OK - my Partial Mobilization is on the horizon.

-Daniel Webster

RULES

enf91
AGEod Veteran

Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:41 am

Aren't your troops in F-burg about to eat through their supplies? You don't have a harbor or anything, and you have to support an entire army.

GraniteStater
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:44 am

Early May 62

MD

Two battles - his forces in Alexandria crossed and attacked DC. First they encountered Franklin:

and brushed him aside. Then Kearny's heavy Corps of 1500 PWR, less Cohesion from the march and RR, showed up:

What you see in the first shot is his survivors of about 1000 PWR left - he crossed with 2000, maybe closer to 2200+. The DC garrison is at 500. I am, as rapidly as possible, assembling everyone I can north of the Potomac to join Franklin in Annapolis. I don't think he can storm DC successfuly, at least not in one Turn, but...absolutely dire straits. Essentially, Keany's Corps was wiped out.

VA

A reduced McDowell (one Div) and Hamilton (one Div) race north to attack Lee's single Div and HQ - Hamilton can't make it in one turn, but will help keep the path open against Johnston in Manassas, I hope.

Lew Wallace stops his approach to Tappahannock and goes to reinforce McClellan in F-burg. Some Bdes and a Med Co offloading, one unit at a time, to F-burg. Two Cav Bdes(regmts) cover the rail gap, in an effort to seal the northern CSA forces.

KY/TN

Thomas is roughed up again, but has light casualties and continues his retreat to BG. Almost all my river navy, regardless of shape, goes to sink Buchanan again. The first encounter:

I'll take it and try mightily to ratlle his rivets - backed up against my guns, maybe I can take care of him.

What to do in #10 with Sherman and Grant? He has strength not shown - I don't know where some of it is.

MO

He reads weaker than Foster on G2, enough to warrant an attack - haven't decided.

All I can say is that I hope I have saved DC and cost him good Bdes. My NM fell down the stairs.

Let's rally and make him pay more - I think I can push the position in DC/VA - essentially, he is cut off now (not entirely, technically). I either did the right thing or have wounded myself horribly.

-Daniel Webster

RULES

GraniteStater
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:25 am

enf91 wrote:Aren't your troops in F-burg about to eat through their supplies? You don't have a harbor or anything, and you have to support an entire army.

Good Q - I have moused over occasionally, I don't recall a big problem. I am able to sail up the Rappahannock with brigs & TPs and am debarking units, one unit a Turn - maybe Overseas Supply? I'm very sure the Supply Filter shows green. I should check.

McDowell shows a usage of 54/Turn with 252 in hand - the stocks in town are about 150+, with plenty of ammo, as shown.

Overseas Supply?

-Daniel Webster

RULES

pesec
Corporal

Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:13 am

Why not send everything from Fredericksburg to Alexandria? Right now, DC is by far the most important location in this war. Control of the province of Alexandria (not necessarially city itself) would cut off Jackson's and Longstreet's supply, promtring them to either prematurely launch an assault on DC or at some point withdraw due to risk eating up all the supply.
Last but not least, troops for relief of Washington should be close to Washington.

Sending part of Fredericksburg force there seems like the worst option to me:

- Forces remaining cannot effectively threat Richmond.
- Chance of successfully attacking Alexandria is reduced.
- Separating forces risks them getting destroyed piecemeal.

GraniteStater
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:06 am

@pesec - Oh, yeah. See screenshot below. Believe me, if I had a kitchen sink, I'd throw it at Jackson.

Late May 62

Nat'l SitRep

If DC falls, I could lose the war. Move the Capital? I'm a stubborn (maybe stupid?) cuss at times. Hey, I'm stilll learning this game, especially against P. "S." Cleburne - if it's an AutoVic, so be it. We are coming, Father Abraham, three hundred thousand, uh maybe less, strong! Well, whoever shows up, anyway.

MD/VA

McDowell absorbs Hamilton & advances on Alexandria - why McDowell didn't arrive last Turn, I don't know, but it may be just as well; he was a tad understrength compared to Lee.

Wallace & Hooker meet in Strafford to guard against Johnstion.

Frankin is a Corps of Banks, has scraped together a 700-some Corps and, although Inactive, advances to DC. DC is breached and half of Jackson's and Longstreet's force. Hope Willard's bar doesn't get trashed.

KY

Thomas joins up and may be given a breather - if I were the Rebs, I'd move on BG.

Grant & Sherman enter Columbus (didja know KY has two Columbuses?) in defensive postures, one day apart. I would swear there's a Reb corps rattling around somewhere in the neighborhood.

MO

McCook picks up a Wagon, advances to recon some more. cause trouble and possibly monkey with supply roads, MC.

Stand Watie advanced to Lexington, but I don't think he'll be around long enough to check out the cable channels.

Old Chinese curse - "May you live in interesting times." Have interesting games, too.

-Daniel Webster

RULES

enf91
AGEod Veteran

Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:23 pm

You're going to attack an enemy that is entrenched and has superior numbers across a river? Not one of your finer operational choices. I have a knife and fork ready to eat my words, though.

GraniteStater
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:23 pm

I'm cetainly not happy about my choices. I don't see that I can not attack - if anyone has some suggestions, I'm all ears.

Regardless of the cost, I am hoping that an action in the Region will defuse his attack. The Corps in Annapolis is now an AoP Corps under Kearny - but I have yet to post the results of what we're discussing - it's already happened, actually.

-Daniel Webster

RULES

pesec
Corporal

Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:10 pm

I suggest moving Capital.

I doubt Washington can hold long: it already looks breached and it does not have a fort. Confederates can probably storm it with 1:1 odds as long as their forces are at full cohesion. So, either relieve Washington fast or look at action elsewhere.

Attacking piecemeal sounds like a very bad idea: it will make things worse than they already are. Therefore, if attack comes it must come in force. CSA forces are already somewhat entrenched and they are commanded by Longstreet who both speeds up entrenchment and has a high defensive rating. Since, in turn, Longstreet is commanded by R. E. Lee, his high defensive value becomes outright insane. Therefore, I would advise against attacking Longstreet with less than at the absolute minimum of 1.5:1 odds with your forces at full cohesion. At a conservative estimate of 20 000 Confederates in DC, you will need at the very least 30 000 of reasonably well commanded troops at full cohesion. I would still expect those 30 000 to be whipped, but they would at least stand some (though very slim) chance. Anything less in a single is throwing soldiers away. That is assuming troops in Alexandria will fail to MTSG.

If force cannot be assembled within a turn, Washington is going to be taken. I, of course, can be wrong, but I don't think its garrison has much hope without immediate relief. So, let us consider what to do next:

- Confederates, at the moment, are stronger in VA/DC in a staight-up combat (after USA lost a whole corps). Attack against a confederate force with a similar union force will result in a union defeat and shift of balance further towards CSA.
- Over time, balance will shift towards USA since they get more recruits, volunteers and ability of union to declare mobiliation soon.
- CSA supply situation is interesting: all those troops in Norhtern VA need to eat. While there is supply in wagons, Manassas and soont-to-be-captured Washington, it will not last forever.
- After storming Washington, Longstreet's troops will be at low cohesion. Attack them then?

A theoretical case where Alexandria is taken by Union seems like a crushing blow to CSA: forces in Washington will be trapped and CSA (unlike union) cannot afford loss of a whole corps (or even 2). CSA cannot supply by sea while USA can. However, attack against Alexandria seems tricky since both forces in Washington and forces in Manassas might MTSG. Can attack from Montgomery in the north and province close to F-burg in the south work?

In any case, good luck!

Johnny Reb
Private

Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:13 pm

"To be a good soldier, you must love the army. To be a good commander, you must be willing to order the death of the thing you love." :(
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

GraniteStater
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:35 pm

Early June 62

MD/VA

As referred to above, I go to attack. McDowell is about 1300 PWR before attacking; Kearny has taken over the forces under Franklin and is a fellow AoP Corps. Kearny is set to Attack Posture, the idea being that he wll MTSG to support McDowell (Kearny is about 500 PWR), who arrives in DC in 10 days. Together with the DC garrison, force strength is at or slightly above the Confederate forces in DC. A woefully tired Hooker goes to desperately seal off Alexandria and sacrifice himself, if need be, against Johnston.

KY/TN

Grant and Sherman move to seize Columbus; Geary in Cairo River moves to #10 to reinforce it, protected by Foote. Thomas retires to Louisville.

MO

McCook continues his advance - Watie has been booted.

I have the .ord in hand to run. What the results will be, I don't know. The stakes are high.

-Daniel Webster

RULES

tagwyn
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:43 am

All Great Texans are from TENNESSEE!! t

GraniteStater
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:42 am

[font="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="5"]DEFEAT[/size][/font]

* DC fell on Day 1 of the Turn.

* Kearny did not MTSG. We replayed it with Kearny advancing; no substantive difference.

* To address the Capital movement - our spirit was essentially "historical". I paid the price for error. Plus, there are still many things I still don't know about the game off the top of my head - how to build a fort, for one. PSC emailed that answer.

From my last email exchange:

I don't think what I was doing was essentially unsound. The mistake in the last few Turns was not covering DC with Kearny directly and spreading out just a bit too much (the operations in Tappahannock were a frittering away - I could still do what I was trying to do, albeit slower).

When I had a chance much earlier to attack PGT (the first "trip" to Fredericksburg), or take Manassas, I chose the former and probably should have chosen the latter and not take a 10 NM hit.

It does make me realize how important NM is. Even against a souped up AI, she rarely defends Manassas from the beginning

All hail an exemplary, instructive, worthy and very, very tough opponent and Victor!

-Daniel Webster

RULES

Johnny Reb
Private

Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:28 am

GraniteStater wrote:So we will be prudent - can't have Johnny Reb chipping Mrs. Lincoln's good china.

[SIZE="3"]Crash!!! [/size]There goes the china... :w00t:
On a serious note, I really enjoyed this AAR. I know you and "Stonewall" Cleburne learned a lot, and we in the gallery learned a lot too. Congrats on a fine effort and like you stated, it showed you areas that you need to improve. As you know, that's what this game is all about, making decisions and learning from them. Don't second guess yourself, which is natural. You both performed very well. :winner:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “American Civil War AARs”