Degataga
Private

Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:37 pm

Incredibly well played on both sides.

Best set of AARs I've yet read.

acme
Corporal

Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:48 pm

this was one of the most interesting match and AAR in the whole strategy gaming scene!!

:thumbsup:

Big Ideas
Captain

Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:02 am

Well Banks it is tough to play the side that is expected to loose by a big margin against an experienced gamer like Soundoff, and you have managed many miracles in your dashes across the map- giving hope to other Southern players of, "that which is lost can be retaken." I have read every word and appreciate the time you must have spent working on your AAR. Your very helpful ideas and cliffhanger endings kept my glued to my seat.

Thanks again for your AAR

bburns9
Sergeant

Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:49 pm

Nothing new to add to what has already been said, I just wanted to thank you both for this AAR. As I followed along over the past several months, there were many things that I learned that one could never encompass in a manual. I appreciate your time and dedication in providing valuable lessons to us newer forumites.

BB
Find out what Grant drinks and send a barrel of it to each of my other generals! - A. Lincoln

DarthMath
Colonel

Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:04 pm

Happy Birthday Banks !! :p arty: :p arty:
And congratulations for your brilliant and instructive AAR. :thumbsup:
"You know, in this world, there's two kind of people, my friend. Those who have a loaded gun, and those who dig in. You dig in ..." :cool:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:30 pm

Wow....thank you a ton Darth! I would never have thought to receive birthday wishes here on the Ageod forum. You just made my day man. Cheers!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Have you ever stopped to think and forgot to start??

DarthMath
Colonel

Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:35 pm

You're welcome !! :)
"You know, in this world, there's two kind of people, my friend. Those who have a loaded gun, and those who dig in. You dig in ..." :cool:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:28 am

I'm really amazed it's almost been a year since Soundoff and I finished this combined AAR. I still look back on it from time to time to relive some of the game. Truly THE greatest historical gaming experience I've ever had.

Sorry, was getting a little nostalgic there and wanted to type it out. :coeurs:

gchristie
Brigadier General

Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:22 pm

Banks6060 wrote:Sorry, was getting a little nostalgic there and wanted to type it out. :coeurs:

As are those of us that followed this exemplary AAR. Thanks again for your and Soundoff's efforts. I'm curious as to whether purchases of the game had an uptick while your AAR was in full swing. You two were great ambassadors for AACW.
"Now, back to Rome for a quick wedding - and some slow executions!"- Miles Gloriosus

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:32 pm

That would be cool if it did have that effect! Maybe I should petition AGEOD for fiscal compensation lol.

gchristie
Brigadier General

Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:56 pm

I'm just sayin'...
"Now, back to Rome for a quick wedding - and some slow executions!"- Miles Gloriosus

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:12 pm

I know it man :) . I would be VERY flattered if our AAR actually did have that effect. Really, it would be amazing. I mean...I can't even say it was a labor for the most part. I just really hold this game in such high regard...it's very easy to be a strong ambassador for it.

fusileer2002
Sergeant

Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:42 pm

That AAR basically taught me how to play properly in pbem and was also the inspiration for me doing my first AAR also. Have played a few games since then. Hmm perhaps I should do another.

Ace

Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:36 pm

This AAR was absolutly great. I wish if I could play a game vs Banks or Soundoff. The learning experience would then be complete...

enf91
AGEod Veteran

Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:20 pm

Be careful what you wish for. ;)

Slick Wilhelm
Corporal

Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:57 pm

Banks6060 wrote:I know it man :) . I would be VERY flattered if our AAR actually did have that effect. Really, it would be amazing.

It did in my case, Banks. After reading through this AAR with bated breath for the last couple of weeks, I finally put aside my copy of Forge of Freedom(another outstanding game, btw) and purchased AACW.

It's been quite daunting to learn and get started, but now I've got a couple of different April '61 games going against the AI.

Banks, your AAR has truly been an inspiration to me and was the deciding factor in my purchase. For that, I thank you, sir. :hat:

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:49 am

Slick! That is quite the compliment my friend :) . I'm glad you took the time to read through the AAR and enjoyed it. If ever I get over to France I'll have to look Phil and the AGEOD guys up and see about getting them to buy me a nice bottle of champagne :mdr:

Thanks again man and GAME ON

UEC0101
Civilian

Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:39 am

just finished reading this from start to finish. man.... that was some fight you guys had going on. i hate to say it comes down to luck, but if even a couple of those fights had turned out a little better for you, i think you would have had him whipped.

annapolis? seriously? that was a ridiculous loss early on that set you back. your campaign with jackson up the shennandoah in '63 could have really turned things had you been able to secure and torch (or hold) on that initial turn.

not to mention the weather seemed to always be against you. always.

overall, my hats off to you. you did so much more with so much less than most people could hope for. i would have been whipped in late '61 (and thats being super generous to myself :D ). great aar (and fight) from both of you guys.

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:40 pm

Thank you! Yes, Annapolis was as much my fault (and admitedly a lack of knowledge about the ZOC rules at that point) as it was dumb luck. A hard lesson learned so early. In the campaign. I can think of a couple of battles off hand where I made mistakes that really cost me.

1st Columbus is another one. (Polk didn't even take part in the attack...had he gone in...I would have been able to kick McClellan back to Paducah. Who knows what I could have accomplised had I held Columbus).

In early 1863....the battle of Henry, TN....that battle just prior to A.S. Johnston losing command in the west. That was just incredibly bad luck, but rather poor planning on my prt as well.

Jackson at Manassas of course. I should have had his command in attack posture as well as Walker's cavalry.

Though some might argue, I was not all that taken aback by most of the battle results in the east. I mean the only one that comes to mind is Jackson retreating without a fight at Petersburg against Hamilton. Had I managed to hold there....I think Soundoff would have had a pretty long slog taking Richmond in '62.

I must say it is a real thrill to see so many people still reading. Its very flattering and fulflling at the same time. Thanks to everyone!

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:17 am

I totally agree,

In my humble opinion Banks had me going more than once and I had many 'flukey' successes. All in all I'd say the campaign was at least a morale victory for the CSA.

Truth to tell Banks was/is a much better player than myself.

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:15 pm

Ha! Soundoff that, my friend is too high of praise!

I may not have said it already, but you played the Union beautifully given the restraints you placed upon yourself. I mean hell...NOT taking advantage of your navy until 1863, not transporting generals at all (unlike myself)...not replacing generals unless they "deserved" to be replaced. Bud, you are a fantastic player :) .

You didn't take too many gambles, but did when it counted and were successful just about every time! You caused me some major fits. Another one I thought of....when you took Garysburg, NC right out from under my ass in early '63! That was a genius move.

Helleck at Nashville, Hooker at Vicksburg, Milroy at Atlanta...and let's not forget "Grierson's raid" to blow my last remaining major depot in Georgia. That....was really the nail in the coffin!

All said...I couldn't have found a better opponent!

Alikchi
Corporal

Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:05 am

Just finished reading this all the way through. Fantastic work, gentlemen! Are you going to be doing any new AARs soon? I seriously suggest you consider Revolution Under Siege...

Krec
Sergeant

Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:25 am

that is what makes this game so good. just like reality, should ve, could ve ,would ve. All the what ifs or missed opportunities. This to me is the best part, no matter how well you plan something is going to go wrong or be miscalculated. Then you have times when everything works out just right and the ACCW gods are on yor side if only for a moment. Best game of this scale to date. I am always finding things out. Really fun :thumbsup:

kayapo
Private

Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:00 am

This is the second time I go through the full AAR and it is still just as good as the first. Too bad Soundoff's doesn't have pictures anymore, but this one remains one of my top AAR choices.

I read Paradox games AARs quite a bit and have read many gems over the many years (more then 10 :w00t: ) but as a gameplay narrative AAR nothing beats this one. Congratulations yet again.

ps. Isn't it about time for a new adventure? One can only dream. If you need a punch bad I'd even be available for my first MP game. :bonk:

kroll688
Conscript

An excellent game and a great read.

Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:20 am

I must compliment both players for an very enjoyable AAR. Thank you for spending the time and energy to document the game in such detail. I learned several things in my read thru, as well as realized several new possibilities for strategies.

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:03 pm

kayapo wrote:This is the second time I go through the full AAR and it is still just as good as the first. Too bad Soundoff's doesn't have pictures anymore, but this one remains one of my top AAR choices.

I read Paradox games AARs quite a bit and have read many gems over the many years (more then 10 :w00t: ) but as a gameplay narrative AAR nothing beats this one. Congratulations yet again.

ps. Isn't it about time for a new adventure? One can only dream. If you need a punch bad I'd even be available for my first MP game. :bonk:

At the start of this year Banks did enquire whether I might be up for a rematch. If I was'nt so committed for 2011 I'd have jumped at the chance. Sadly I had to decline but it could be a possibility for 2012...with of course roles reversed. Me as CSA and Banks as Union.

I'd would need some sort of 'understanding' with AGEOD as to who owns the copyright of AAR pictures, either that or the ability to upload pics from my 'puter direct to the AGEOD site as do one or two of key volunteers.

In a nutshell I'd used a good third party image hosting service to post my pics. It worked fine but I was totally naive as to internet protocols. I discovered that according to the rules of the AGEOD board that anything posted automatically became their copyright. I was OK with that until I found out that all image hosting services (and remember I was using one - AGEOD recommended you do so in order not to overload their website) insist that they have the copyright of any images you post on their sites.

I cannot be doing with being caught in a cleft stick with potentially two internet sites insisting they own the rights to anything I up/down load. It potentially leaves me as a 'piggie in the middle'......hence my reluctant decision to delete all pics from my AAR with Banks.

So who knows....its a slim chance I know but maybe ..... just maybe.....if Banks wants to reissue the challenge in 2012 and assuming my personal circumstances remain the same and keeping fingers crossed that AGEOD would allow me to download 500 and more pics direct it could just could happen. It would certainly be fun. :thumbsup:

raising a glass of Dalwhinnie to one and all from somewhere in the pacific.

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:06 am

Indeed I did offer the challenge :) ...and Soundoff is absolutely right. It could still happen, but not likely until next year. We're hitting the 150 year anniversary of basically the entire war over the next five years so I would think it entirely appropriate for a rematch to take place.

While it would still be months away...and as long as we can get the issue of the pics figured out. I think it would be well worth my time to publish another game.

I will admit, however. It might be advantageous to move the AAR over to the paradox forums the next time around.

Cheers to Soundoff (somewhere in the Pacific) and cheers to all who continue to read!!

Dadaan
Corporal

Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:46 pm

Wow, that was a great read. Thanks for the posts!
[color="Blue"]The Few, The Proud[/color]
[color="Red"]Semper Fidelis[/color]

Chuske
Lieutenant

Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:30 pm

soundoff wrote:I'd would need some sort of 'understanding' with AGEOD as to who owns the copyright of AAR pictures, either that or the ability to upload pics from my 'puter direct to the AGEOD site as do one or two of key volunteers.

In a nutshell I'd used a good third party image hosting service to post my pics. It worked fine but I was totally naive as to internet protocols. I discovered that according to the rules of the AGEOD board that anything posted automatically became their copyright. I was OK with that until I found out that all image hosting services (and remember I was using one - AGEOD recommended you do so in order not to overload their website) insist that they have the copyright of any images you post on their sites.

I cannot be doing with being caught in a cleft stick with potentially two internet sites insisting they own the rights to anything I up/down load. It potentially leaves me as a 'piggie in the middle'......hence my reluctant decision to delete all pics from my AAR with Banks.

I had no idea that AAR pics could get posters in copyright issues, especially as many wargames have AARs with externally hosted pics. Soundoff did someone from either AEGOD or hosting company challenge you over the copyright or did you just discover the legal implications and remove you images as a precaution?

I ask as I'm about to embark on an AAR for a different sim and wondered if I need to be careful.

Shame you had to remove those images as I find your AAR very useful as I've just got AACW and just started first campaign vs AI as Union as practice before offering myself for PBEM. Would have been even better if you'd been allowed to keep the images online. Will be using Banks AAR too soon when I start an AI CSA campaign as practice too.

So thanks to you both for the time an effort putting together the AARs really helps us newbies.

lodilefty

Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:42 pm

You should be able to upload pics to AGEOD forum (once you've achieved 10 posts) using "Manage Attachments" button below your edit panel of the post.

They are limited in size, so jpg is essentially the best.
Also helps if you resize to accomodate screen widths at lower resolutions...

PM to me if you can't...
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

Return to “American Civil War AARs”