W.Barksdale
AGEod Grognard

Late June, 1862

Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:35 am

In VA, Bragg, Smith, and Jackson's corps ran into a single cavalry regiment and trapped them in the city. The yankees retreated all the way to Manassas. With no scouts in the area I can't tell how beat up they are. Bragg and Kirby will move their corps to Culpepper eta 6 days. Smith is ordered back to Fredericksburg and will take 4 days.

Jackson will join Lee at Abermale to meet a new division under AP Hill. Hopefully, soundoff won't dispatch any troops to Culpepper to Bragg and Kirby can dig in right away. This will allow Jackson a little freedom of movement. Those federals at Covington, as well as the valley, are looking might juicy right now. Cavalry are ordered to scout it out.

Forrest and the texas rangers were routed at Christianburg. They will withdraw to Johnson City where McCulloch is massing for a counterstroke.

In TN, I want to capitalize on JJ's invasion of MO. I really hope my actions are confusing him. Bory has lent ASJ two divisions, under Hardee and Cheatham, for a strike either at Thomas' corps in TN, or Keyes' command at Paducah, KY. Hopefully soundoff will weaken these forces to reinforce St. Louis or to seize Charleston. Holme's two divisions will meet them at Decateur, AL.

It's finally go time in MO! Polk's corps, with two divisions under Pemberton and Price, as well as Stand Waties Cherokee warriors are ordered to Lexington, MO to smash federal forces under Jeff Davis. They need to execute a forces march, however, they will have nearly a 5 to 1 advantage in strength, provided soundoff doesn't reinforce the city.

General Sibley siezed Dallas and scattered yankee cavalry who occupied the city.
"Tell General Lee that if he wants a bridge of dead Yankees I can furnish him with one."
-General William Barksdale at Fredericksburg

W.Barksdale
AGEod Grognard

Early July, 1862

Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:05 pm

Well Polk's corps hit Lexington, MO on day 15, however, engaged only cavalry.
I'm not sure what is going on with Jeff Davis as he is now around Platsburg. I've ordered cavalry scout Ft. Leavensworth and St. Joseph to determine if he is headed there.

Well it happened a turn early but soundoff has mostly pulled out of Paducah, KY from what I can tell. Keyes' command is on Mississippi river. Most likely destination for me is St. Louis. In any case, Polk's move accomplished one objective anyway, the transfer of troops from KY. Too bad Jeff Davis' division got away I really wanted to smash them.

Anyway, over middle TN ASJ is massing his army at Rutherford, just southeast of Nashville. He is joined by Holme's corps and Bonham's corps. Other elements are heading that way from east of Knoxville, including Forrest and the cavalry. They will hit wherever Mcdouchbags army is at the end of the month! At the moment I am counting 4 federal divisions in the area. Two with McClellan, strength unknown, and two with Thomas. I'll be able to throw over 6 fresh divisions. There is also one yankee division at Louisville.

Over in VA, soundoff definately looks like he is taking defensive action, however, I really would prefer if he did the attakcing. He has somewhere around 15 divisions in the area.

There are also two federal divisions in the tri-state. At first I was going to have Van Dorn moev all the down the valley in order to support an offensive by Jackson. Now I've decided to send Van Dorn to hit Grafton WV. I am pretty sure that this force is drawing their supply from that way so I want to mess up the area rea nice. Cavalry are coverly repairing the rails from Charlottesville toward Covington and Jackson may send his corps down them if Rousseau is still there in two weeks.

Bragg's corps is ordered to join Smith's corps at Fredericksburg. Kirby's corps will defend Culpepper. Lee's HQ and all corps will be mutually supporting in case of any attack!

That yankee cavalry sitting at Lynchburg may be the biggest threat. I've ordered militia to cover some key rails. Additionally, Bee's bde is headed to Petersburg. Another bde is headed to Garysburg, NC.

With FI sitting at 86 I am really tempted to hit the europeans with another cotton embargo. However, I think I will wait until after the next decent victory or early December, whichever comes first.
"Tell General Lee that if he wants a bridge of dead Yankees I can furnish him with one."

W.Barksdale
AGEod Grognard

Late July, 1862

Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:04 pm

First off, in WV Van Dorn's cavalry was able to take Grafton and its depot! This has earned him a promotion. JEB gained some senority as well! His orders are to sit tight, to burn the depot and cut the rails, while getting back his cohesion. He is ordered to retreat if engaged.

Porter's division, who held Christianburg two weeks ago has joined with Rousseau's command at Covington. They may be expecting an attack. A garrison has been left at Christianburg so I don't think soundoff meant to pull out. However, with Van Dorn's capture of Grafton he may have to.

I see him doing one of three things. Retreat to Charleston, WV, or retreat towards graton, burning the depots in the two cases. He may also opt to stay put making a move farther east with the main army. In any case Jackson has given DH Hill's division to Lee. Jackson will ride down the rails between Charlottesville and Covington and hit Rousseau's command with 5 divisions.

I'm hoping he is pulling out, waiting 5 days to burn the depot, in which case Jackson will hit him within 3 days of that. To cover the move, Smith's corps will leave a cavalry cover at Culpepper and move by rail to Charlottesville to ensure Jackson won't be cut out of any action in the next month. Jackson also gave Lee 1 of his 6 divisions.

ASJ's army of TN is massed just in and around Nashville. I'm going to be able to throw over 7 divisions at the forces across the Cumberland at Gallatin, with a combined power 3000+. I'm hoping ASJ's 'surpriser trait' comes in handy here. Holme's corps and Johnson's corps will hit Thomas on day 5. After smashing Thomas they will move onto Bowling Green, where Thomas hopefully will retreat, to massacre McClellan and the remnants of Thomas. That's the plan anyway...

Further west in KY, a dire situation is developing. It seems that Paducah was definately not evacuated. Lyon's division has seized the heights at Columbus. Rosecrans corps, with two divisions are available to north at Paducah. Bory, with a small corps of just two bdes, is not happy. I'll sit tight for a turn and maybe ASJ's move in middle TN will halt this advance.
If it doesn't Bory may have to retreat to Memphis with his little army.

In MO, JJ's army is massed at Warren. There is no sign of Jeff Davis' federal forces anywhere in the area. It looks like JJ may need to send Polk to TN, to reinforce Bory. The army is ordered to Springfield to refit and make ready for a possible move across the Mississippi.

W.Barksdale
AGEod Grognard

Early August, 1862

Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:57 pm

Well I am definately not happy with this resolution. First off in WV, Jackson attacked Covington, however, allowed the federals to escape destruction into the mountains.

I think I will use Covington as a base for future operations and may retain the depot, at least for a few turns, anyway. Jackson is going to sit tight in the odd chance that Rousseau counterattacks. I have detached Longstreets and Magruders divisions to retake Covington and drive out any federal patrols left in the area.

With nearly a third of my best troops at least a week away I am playing very conservatively in VA. Thankfully, it looks like Grant has pulled out his corps from the lines in northern VA and is massing in DE for what I'm guessing is another amphibious invasion.

The yankees are really stacking up across the Rappahannock at Stafford, so Kirby Smith's Corps is ordered to Fredericksburg to bolster those defenses. I cannot allow soundoff to mass closer to Richmond than me.

The second major disappointment was the planned attack on McClellan's army of the Ohio. ASJ's two corps were able to seize Gallatin without a fight. Perhaps the buildup of troops in Nashville was a giveaway. Anyway, they were within one day of assaulting Bowling Greene but did not make it.

I've cancelled the attack because of Lyon's division. I expect he is headed for Fort's Henry and Donelson. With this fort gone Bowling Greene will be of no use to me. As such, ASJ's HQ together with Johnson''s corps are falling back to Nashville. Holme's corps will make it's way to the forts via Humphrey's to pick off a (hopefully) exhausted Lyon after his expected assault.

Reinforcements are headed for Nashville and Corinth. ASJ's army of TN will be getting some badly needed heavy guns! Bonham is organising a new corps of two divisions at Corinth. They are still training and waiting for a little more artillery. They will be ordered to wherever the Federals are being most aggresive.

W.Barksdale
AGEod Grognard

Late August, 1862

Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:05 pm

I think I have things in the tri-state stabilized. Rousseau has definately retreated. I'm going to need a permanent force in the area as I am sure soundoff means to contest it again soon. Longstreet and Magruder's forces are the obvious choices, however, they're commands are veterans but have taken heavy casualties. I may buy some replacements once I can be sure they will go (mostly) to these units.

Jackson will remain Covington and wait for Van Dorn. Patrols are fixing up the rail network.

With the federal advance on Culpepper, Kirby's corps is ordered by rail to Abermale, where he will have the support of Lee's HQ reserve. I was hoping for a repeat of soundoff's bold move on Richmond earlier in the year, however with Grant assigned elsewhere I don't think I'll be so lucky. General Smith is organising a new corps, already with one division under Hood, inside newly built Fort Richmond. Other troops are improving coastal defenses all over VA and NC.

Over in TN, Lyon's bold division has turned up just north of Corinth. General Bonham commands nearly two divisions. I'm ordering Taylor's division by rail to take over the Memphis defenses and parry any thrust to the city. Bonham remains entrenched around Corinth with the rest of the troops.

This time around Johnson will hit KY west. Federals have base at Paducah. Hindman's division will take Bowling Green. Partisans show that the federal depot at Salem IL is defended by a lone miltia. McCulloch and Forrest are ordered behind the lines for some fun.

W.Barksdale
AGEod Grognard

Early Septermber, 1862

Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:37 pm

I've opted to wreck the depot at Covington. I'm fairly certain soundoff will make another push in this direction and Van Dorn's cavalry as well as Jackson's corps are desperately needed in northern VA. Jackson is ordered to Charlettesville and Van Dorn is headed to Richmond to refit after his raid into WV.

Over in TN, I must score a victory soon before the Federals build up too much strength. I may need to send some of these forces east in a month or two. I've ordered a buildup in Memphis. This time around JJ will lend Bory 5 divisions to make an assault on the federals in KY west. General Polk will arrive with another 2 divisions from MO. Two new divisions will also mass here.

Lyon has taken Humboldt, TN and I'm sure that he is headed for Paducah soon. I can only hope soundoff keeps his forces dispersed once I am ready for the offensive.

McCulloch and Forrest were able to seize Salem, IL and wreck the depot. This should put some added stress on the forces in KY west. Hopefully soundoff will detach some forces and strengthen IL in anticipation of another raid.

W.Barksdale
AGEod Grognard

Late September, 1862

Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:40 pm

Well things are getting dire in VA. I just don't have the troop numbers to meet all these threats. To top this off, a federal fleet has appeared off the coast of NC. The troops are commanded by Grant! :bonk:

I'm planning to take a significant risk. I will send Lee's entire army to smash the invaders quickly. Bragg's and Jackson's corps, as well as Lee's HQ and every other available unit are ordered to mass at Goldsboro, NC.

Kirby's corps is ordered to the Richmond defenses to bolster Smith's garrison. This will give me well over 5 divisions and lots of excellent artillery. I'm hoping that Lee can smash Grant while the federals attempt to carry Richmond by storm. If they choose to siege I have quite a few spare supply trains to beef up the food and ammo stocks. There is also 2 wagons captured in MD making their way south!

I'm having a horrible time with the replacement system. Usually my games are over before I have ever had to use them. I wasted nearly 90 conscription points buying inf replacements only to find out that none of the replacements went to the units that needed them! :bonk: Very frustrating!

Over in TN I have completely lost track of Lyon's division. I have no idea where tehy may have gone. In any case, 9 division are massing at Memphis. Bory will make his way there by river, allowing Polk's recently arrived forces to refit. Cavalry are repairing the rails leading up to Columbus and Paducah KY. The objective will be the main federal forces at Paducah under Rosecarns.

W.Barksdale
AGEod Grognard

Early October, 1862

Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:18 am

In northern VA, I forgot to burn the depot at Fredericksburg last turn. Cavalry has been ordered to torch it and withdraw in expectation of a federal advance. I'm going to ripping up as much rail as possible between Covington and Charlottesville and other areas north of Richmond. Now if only soundoff will all-out assault the city! They will have no FOW because of the "Lee's lost order event" so I can only pray he will attempt it.

In NC, Lee is massed at Goldsboro with 11 veteran divisions. All forces will assault Grant at Wilmington. Soundoff may have two reserve division on the coast. I hope that they can join in teh fun.

In TN, Bory is massed at Memphis with 9 division. All forces push back to cavalry patrols around Columbus, KY, then push on to Paducah and assault Rosecrans. I'm counting only 4 divisions there and 1 of these is very weak.

W.Barksdale
AGEod Grognard

Late October, 1862

Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:17 pm

In NC, Lee engaged Grant on day 6. The fighting continued until day 14 when Grant was able to disengage. Lee started day 6 with pwr 5184, Grant with 1376. By day 14, pwr 1791 and 13 respectively. Apparently they were able to retreat to the same region they were in (New Hanover)? How can this be?

The entire army will continue the attack on Grant. Other forces are still lingering around, so Jackson is ordered to take what is left his corps and hit the federals at Smithville. Hooker is at ft. Fisher and was unable to join in the fun on shore. I think soundoff may try to rest them.

Huger is receiving a promotion and heading North with his division to rendez-vous with Pickett and Early at Petersburg. He will be given corps command in two weeks. I must preserve my links between Richmond and Lee.

soundoff is advancing aggressively on Richmond. Meade is closest. He has another 10 divisions elsewhere, however, reconnaisance is unavailable. 4 at Abermale, 4 at Spotsyvania, and 2 at Stafford. Now if they will only assault Richmond...

Jeb Stuart is ordered to Lynchburg to mass cavalry for operations against the federal real. He will also set a base for the arrival of General Polk making his way east from TN with 4 divisions!

Over in KY, I'm guessing soundoffs cavalry patrol at Columbus gave Rosecrans ample warning about the 9+ rebel divisions heading their way. They were able to retreat before combat, however, Holme's corps was able to smash some units that couldn't get away, or were just being formed. I'm not really sure.

In any case, this is an important strategic location for me to have. In sending Polk east, I've left just under 6 divisions to hold this line. I've ordered up some reinforcesments to bolster Bory and JJ.

acme
Corporal

Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:52 pm

Very strange combat results.
Polk won a battle against same numbers and causing more casualties than Lee's army did against the Grant's Corp (Grant was outnumbered by 3x). Furthermore Jackson's Corp seems to be very tired after the battle.
I really dont understand how can it be. :(

W.Barksdale
AGEod Grognard

Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:31 am

acme wrote:Very strange combat results.
Polk won a battle against same numbers and causing more casualties than Lee's army did against the Grant's Corp (Grant was outnumbered by 3x). Furthermore Jackson's Corp seems to be very tired after the battle.
I really dont understand how can it be. :(

There were 9 engagements over the two week turn between Lee and Grant. I only posted the last fight. :P

I'm not exactly sure what happened over in KY. The mailbox says that Polk is committed at McCracken, however, he does not appear in the battle summary. It also says that Rosecrans was able to retreat, however, he is in the battle summary.

I'll post up the turns. Perhaps someone knows what happened.

Jabberwock

Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:35 am

Barksdale only showed the last day of fighting.
[color="DimGray"] You deserve to be spanked[/color]

acme
Corporal

Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:21 am

ahh thank you. Can a command in this game 'surrender' itself? I mean Grant have nowhere to run.

Return to “American Civil War AARs”