ghostlight
Private

short fummary of fun game

Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:14 pm

My first game, really just to learn the ropes. CSA, all AI settings at default, at least at the beginning (I love that you can change AI settings in middle of game, which is what I did when I got a little too far ahead early). I'm a fan of strategic games from way back, but more for fun than to figure out how to crush the game. And I've had a blast with this one.

I wanted to try focusing on border states early. So I built up forces in Missouri and Arkansas and Tennessee. I figured I'd just bunker down in Virginia and hope I'd break the East Union armies against my trenches. Decided that the western rivers would be key, so planned to build gunboats and ironclads out there.

1861--Industiralized more than most people on the forums seem to. Quit when I got a solid return. Built up west and trans-Miss. Built army in Virginia asap, Lee command asap. Let Union invade Kentucky, then rushed troops in. Controlled Bowling Green early and marched on Louisville. Results in Missouri disappointing, held my own, but couldn't get offensive going. Not enough resources to buy much of a navy yet. Union passive in East, some raids in force that were bothersome but not critical. They captured Winchester, held everything they started with cause I was focused west. I prepared to attack Louisville in the Spring.

1862--Success. Captured Louisville on 2nd major offensive. Army of Tennessee at 3 corps. Pretty sure I outnumbered Union in theatre. Built some gunboats, and made a more concerted, organized effort in Missouri. In the fall, I took St. Louis. Army of Mississippi with 2 corps protecting St. Louis and area. Huge lead over Union at this point. I changed AI settings to Hard, and slight FOW advantage to them. These seem to take effect immediately. I was happy, but a little disappointed the AI hadn't done better. Maybe this game was too easy. Very happy with my industrialization. I had more WS and money than I needed, so kept my rail network and navy at tip top shape. I figured I could just hold what I had and win the war.

1863--Clean up my position in Virgina, capturing Harpers Ferry and Ft. Monroe. Got bored in trans-Miss, so went after Laramie and points north with a cavalry corps. Easy pickings. Except that then I was thrown out of St. Louis, a battle I might have won if I'd had both corps available. Just like that, I find my Missouri position untena ble. Supply a real problem without St. Louis, my cavalry corps is way the heck out of position. Time to retreat. I go all the way back to Little Rock river line, taking cohesion hits all along the way. Still AoMiss is a powerful fighting force when they link up--almost--in Arkansas. One corps in Little Rock with Combat strength of around 2000, one corp in Fort Smith guarding Western flank with about 1200-1500. Lots of ironclads on the river. Still not much activity in Virginia or Kentucky, though the Union Army in St. Louis looks like it's moving south, and I'm actively pursued in Arkansas. I decide to get cute and order Forrests division in Ft Smith to make a raid in force on Union supply lines.

Fall 1863--Just when I'm thinking I'm good for the year, sudden disaster. A Union army not much bigger than my western corps attacks Fort Smith at no retreat settings. Three battle screens later, the AoMiss HQ and my entire western corps are gone. Gone. 12 hits to NM. Forest's division pointlessly away from the critical battle of the war and now completely isolated. Months later, he's still trying to make his way back. Too close to winter to try to bring my Little Rock corps (not a corps any more since no AoMiss) over and wipe out the radically disorganized Union troops. And on the same turn, Stonewall Jackson's corps is hit in Harper's Ferry and Cairo is recaptured. Stonewall's position looks a little dicey so moves east to consolidate Lee's army at Potomac.

It's now 1864 and I've been manuevered out of Louisville to avoid being cut off. I still have considerable forces, but am getting almost no conscripts per turn and have 6 more turns before I can ask for volunteers again, so no replacements to speak of. My position in Virginia is still strong, and I have forces out west that may delay the Union armies enough. I may still eke out a win, but any sort of clear, decisive victory is now almost certainly beyond my grasp.

Wow. A (seemingly?) coordinated attack on 3 fronts, taking advantage of my split forces, and winning a decisive battle that completely changes the course of the war. Not that I wouldn't rather win, but that may have been the most exciting thing that has ever happened to me on a strategic computer game. Kudos to designers for not only designing a realistic game, but an exciting one as well.

Pocus

Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:18 am

That's good to hear, all this sweat invested in the AI pays off sometime.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Clovis

Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:09 am

one key for AI is the fog of war bonus. Medium bonus seems to be the best setting.
[LEFT]Disabled
[CENTER][LEFT]
[/LEFT]
[LEFT]SVF news: http://struggleformodding.wordpress.com/

[/LEFT]
[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

Return to “American Civil War AARs”