Guru80
Colonel

Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:00 am

Great read Jagger!

Late Feb. was so important a victory to you I guess I understand why you would want everyone to read it 5 times ;-)

Jagger
AGEod Grognard

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:03 am

Guru80 wrote:Great read Jagger!

Late Feb. was so important a victory to you I guess I understand why you would want everyone to read it 5 times ;-)

What do mean? :siffle:

Guru80
Colonel

Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:22 pm

Jagger wrote:What do mean? :siffle:

The delete button is a miraculous thing isn't it? Makes what was as if it wasn't...could use one of those for parts my my past :sourcil:

Jagger
AGEod Grognard

Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:23 am

Early March 1862

New mod addition introduced this turn:
In the original game, newly recruited brigades arrived in the game directly at the level of early or late war troops dependent on the time phase.

Now newly recruited infantry/cavalry regiments/brigades are modded to enter the game as conscript regiments instead of early/late war troops. A newly recruited brigade or regiment will take on average from 2-3 months to convert from strawfoot conscripts to trained early war troops. Even in late war time phase, conscripts must first reach early war troop status by going through the same 2-3 month conversion before converting to late war troops. However in the late war phase, the conversion time frame from early war to late war troops is very short once a conscript regiment reaches early war status. The conversion process begins the turn locked units appear on the map. Training officers are useful in shortening the conscript phase.

The conscript mod does not apply to Elite, US Regulars, Zouave and Black troops. Although in the future, I may mod in new conscript units leading to Zouave and Black troops.

Eastern Theater:
Finally an entire 2 week period without fighting in the east. Springtime must be around the corner.

Jackson's four divisions have recovered to a 920 power rating. Joe Johnson's three divisions are back to a power of 726. The army is entrenched to level 3. It appears there are some supplies arriving at Alexandria. All supply trains refilled and some excess. I will be watching supply closely. Another two weeks of rest will do wonders for the Eastern armies combat strength. Mud conditions at both Manassas and Alexandria benefit defense.

My cavalry at Winchester has now recovered cohesion to a strength of 265 with level 4 entrenchments. Milroy's corps has entered the Winchester region but has not attacked. His corps suffered heavily on his mud march and is now down to a power of 200. I expect Milroy to attack shortly even though my power is now greater than Milroys. I doubt if his infantry has a good sense of my cavalry strength. Unfortunately the weather has turned fair in Winchester which is good for offensive operations.

Jeb Stuart, 4-4-2, travels with stealth and evasion through no-mans land with orders to take over the Winchester force. I am also sending three infantry brigades by rail for Winchester from Fredericksburg and the Cumberland Gap. Unfortunately they will not arrive this turn as I destroyed the rails at Winchester-repairing rails now.

Regardless whether the cavalry holds or not against Milroy's attack, I suspect a counterattack could be very successful in retaking either Winchester or moving forward to Harper's Ferry. Milroy is going to be very weak after his attack and vulnerable to counterattack. I would like to capture the depot at Harper's Ferry. I suspect removing the Harper's Ferry depot might have a significant, negative impact on supply at Manassas.

Normally, I would expect my power and entrenchment advantage to produce an easy victory if attacked by Milroy's troops. But my defenders are only cavalry, 9 regiments, with one artillery battery and 2 militia regiments in support. I don't know that a cavalry force can defeat a balanced infantry corps even with their power/entrenchment advantages and Milroy's low cohesion. My guess is we will find out shortly.

I have two cavalry regiments moving north and northeast of Harper's Ferry to cut rails. Cutting supply to Harper's Ferry should have an impact on supply to Manassas. I really wonder what is the supply situation in Manassas. Hopefully he is having some supply problems.

Johnson and Forney have another 3 divisions (pwr 550) defending Fredericksburg but available when needed for offensive operations. I really need to send another division back to the Ky/Tn theater.

Kentucky/Tennesse:
Quiet with poor weather conditions continues in theater. One cavalry regiment moves to cut rails between Bowling Green and Louisville.

Bonham's two new divisions at Henry are still assembling and currently up to 550 strength.

My theater inland defense is almost non-existent. I don't have serious forces at Memphis, Corinth or Chattanooga. All are potential targets for amphibious operations.

A very large force of 2 Federal corps has assembled at Gallatin, Tn. Grant's corps has 4 divisions (1700 pwr). Keye's Corps has 9 units (unk pwr). Foster's corps at Clarksville, Tn has a single division (245 pwr). I have three divisions (1500 pwr) at Nashville with 2 assembling divisions (550 pwr) at Henry. I suspect I will need Bragg's division or a substitute division back in theater shortly with spring weather approaching.

Missouri/Arkansas Theater:
Mud and snow conditions in Missouri. Drew's Cherokee band moves out to cut rails between Bloomington and St. Joseph. Otherwise waiting for Spring.

McNair's Arkansas brigade is now assembled at Ft. Smith. He is waiting for weather to improve before heading for Springfield via Fayettesville. Three new Indian bands join the confederacy from the Indian territories. They are assembling at Fayettesville.

Commanders:
Four very good division level commanders received this turn.
Jeb Stuart 4-4-2--multiple abilities--Winchester force
Cheatom 2-3-2
D.H.Hill 3-3-2
Breckenridge 3-2-2 Good Army admin

Promoted Stonewall Jackson to three star. He can now independly command an army but at the cost of losing 4 CP's due to new negative ability.

Recruiting Troops:
Recruited one engineer and one medical unit. All other conscripts go to replacements.

Statistics:
111-112NM/50FI/1150-773VPs
------------ +52-39VPs

102RR/33River/0Ocean

390$/11Cs/296WS/33,523GS/14,123Ammo In stock
+108$/+31Cs/+51WS/+2,048GS/+461Ammo Production

27,991 CSA-30,691 US casualties
--------2500 US Prisoners

Jagger
AGEod Grognard

Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:17 am

Game should be back on tomorrow hopefully. Kilcavalry had some priority work issues to deal with this week.

In the meantime, the following mods have been added to the game.

1. Cavalry brigades are now part of the recruitment pool. Cavalry brigades are typically 3-5 cavalry regiments and 0 or 1 artillery battery. Command cost is 2 CP. (A single leader can command a cavalry brigade outside the command chain without penalty.)

-CSA may recruit 3 cavalry brigades beginning in July 61. An additional 3 cavalry brigades may be recruited in Dec 61 for a total of 6 cavalry brigades.
-US may recruit 4 cavalry brigades beginning in March 62. An additional 4 brigades may be recruited both in March 63 and March 64 for a total of 12 cavalry brigades.

2. Artillery brigades are now part of the recruitment pool. Artillery brigades are composed of 4 batteries of 12pdrs, 10pdrs and/or 20pdrs either as a mixture or single type brigades. Artillery brigades cost 2 CPs and may be commanded by a leader.

-CSA may recruit 6 artillery brigades beginning in Feb 62. An additional 6 artillery brigades may be recruited in December 62.
-US may recruit 8 artillery brigades beginning in Feb 62. An additional 8 brigades may be recruited in December 62.

3. Amount of experience required for units to gain battle experience reduced by 60%.

4. Balloons now have the detector ability. Greater detection and patrol ability when formation is entrenched with attached balloon unit.

5. Engineers now have the pontoneer ability. Formations cross rivers quicker. (May temporarily remove this ability until the problems with synchronized movement are fixed.)

Jagger
AGEod Grognard

Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:35 am

Late March 1862

Modifications:
Added conscript regiment models for Zouaves and Black troops. Recruited Zouave and Black troops will now first appear as conscript troops and go through the same conversion process as other modded troops.

Eastern Theater:
Milroy's Corps struck at Winchester but was repulsed by defending cavalry losing 1220 federals to 680 rebs. Milroy's force retreated back to entrenchments at Harper's Ferry during the good weather of early March. Unfortunately, poor weather conditions have moved back into the area with harsh frozen weather in Winchester and Harper's Ferry. Unwilling to move forward due to weather, Stuart, 4-4-2, takes over the Winchester defense. Two infantry brigades should arrive as reinforcements next turn with a third brigade and supply train expected by late April. If we had decent weather, Stuart would have followed Milroy back to Harper's Ferry and attacked.

The reb army at Alexandria is now up to 2600 power. Just enough supply is arriving to keep troops stocked. Two divisions are still significantly disorganized.

Two cavalry regiments continue cutting rails north and northeast of Harper's Ferry.

I am not confident at all of defeating the main Union army at Manassas. There are a lot of fully entrenched Yankees at Manassas. I don't know the best strategy to follow but am hoping the Union supply situation forces a move from Kilcavalry. If I could take Harpers Ferry and destroy the depot, I think he would have to retreat or force an attack on Alexandria which I would defeat. Although Kilcavalry could also move on Winchester by either detaching a strong force from Manassas or using his entire force by abandoning Manassas altogether. That would not be a bad move because that move would concentrate his force and he would end up controlling both VP's of Winchester and Harpers Ferry. I cannot do anything to prevent that move unless I am given a chance to hit his troops while on the move and unentrenched.

I am not seeing new troops show up in the Eastern theater. He may be building a reserve to use either in the Eastern theater or for a seaborne invasion on the Gulf or East Coast.

Kentucky/Tennesse:
Continued quiet and poor weather in Kentucky/Tennessee.

Bonham's (3-0-1) corps has basically completed its concentration at Henry. Bonham has two divisions under Forrest (5-5-1) and Walker (4-2-2) with 950 power. These are early war troops.

Two cavalry regiments cutting rails around Louisville and Bowling Green. But it appears their efforts are too late to slow the concentration of new regiments at Bowling Green.

The Union has 26 regiments/batteries at Bowling Green which are not yet formed into divisions. The Bowling Green base is supporting between 9 and 11 divisions with the primary concentration at Gallatin, Tn. Probably another 2 divisions at Cairo. The Union manpower advantage is starting to show on the field vs my 5+ divisions in theater. Bee's division is headed for Chattanooga from the east but is in very poor shape. It will need some time to recuperate.

Ashby's cavalry was destroyed by lack of supply returning from its Cairo raid. It took too long to return from the raid. I need to be much more careful on these winter raids. Losing a cavalry regiment to cut rails to Cairo is a very poor trade.

Drew's cherokees cut the rails between St. Joseph and Bloomington. The Cherokee Rifles recon the defenses of Fort Leavenworth and Lawrence, Kansas.

Cavalry, infantry and Indian bands concentrate at Fayettesville prior to moving on to Springfield.

More poor weather and no movement from the Federals.

Recruiting Troops:
All conscripts are used for replacements again except for keels laid on two Alabama Ironclads.

Statistics:
111-112NM/49FI/1202-812VPs
------------ +52-39VPs

118RR/38River/0Ocean

351$/0Cs/302WS/33,912GS/14,581Ammo In stock
+108$/+31Cs/+51WS/+1,900GS/+451Ammo Production

28,691 CSA-31,866 US casualties

Jagger
AGEod Grognard

Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:22 am

Early April 1862

Eastern Theater:
Prentis's and Runyun's divisions appeared in Loudon, Va. I believe they came from Washington, DC. I have seen Runyon's Division there in the past. I am not sure of their objective-reinforcements for Manassas or trying to gain US control over Loudon for supply purposes or perhaps some bait for an ambush?

Wither's Division moves from Fredericksburg to Stafford. This is a feint move to make Kilcavalry think. The troops will probably move back to Fredericksburg next turn.

Kentucky/Tennesse:
Pope's Corps (3-2-2) of 2 divisions (pwr 800+) finally moved on Charleston, Mo from Cairo. Baldwin's entrenched Mississippi brigade put up a good fight but fell back to Columbus, Ky suffering 785 losses while inflicting 691 federal losses. No more easy moves north up the Missouri side of the Mississippi River.

Kearny's (5-3-2) division (pwr 104) crossed the Cumberland and took Carthage, Tn. I can't tell but I assume it is a small cavalry division. Grant (3-6-3) and Keyes Corps remain in place at Gallatin. 6 Union ironclads move down the Cumberland and Tennessee Rivers. 10 union ironclads block movement along the Mississippi at Cairo.

It appears the Union is ready to launch their spring offensive. Pope's corps is not a major threat at Charleson, Mo. The Bowling Green force is very large supported by fleets stationed at Bowling Green and Clarksville. I need to be prepared in case of amphibious operations down the Tennessee River.

McClellan's Bowling Green Army will probably advance across the Cumberland River against Nashville and Fort Donelson in conjunction with a detached force conducting an amphibious operation along the Tennessee River. Kearny's cavalry is probably moving on my supply lines as the first step of his offensive. Pope will probably move forward on Columbus, Ky or along the western side of the Mississippi River.

Bee's Division has Chattanooga's defense. Brigades are detached from the main Nashville army to Tuscumbia, Al, Knoxville, Tn and Pulaski, Tn. Those are key strategic positions. Entrenchments will be prepared at each of those locations. A strong cavalry force is also sent to Pulaski, Tn to counter Kearny's cavalry at Carthage, Tn. Cheatham's small division of two brigades move from Humphreys to join Bonham's corps at Henry, Tn. I have significantly weakened my Nashville defenses in strenthening my forces on the other side of the Tennessee River. I should have made these moves over the winter.

There is a distinct possibility of a large amphibious operation along the Tennessee River. I must have enough force available on the other side of the Tennessee to counter that type of move. I will hold Nashville as long as possible but don't really expect to be able to hold the city. Delay is the objective. Victorious defense is hoped for but not expected considering Union numbers. My Memphis fleet of 9 ironclads, 4 gunsboats and 4 steamer transports under Buchanon is available if the Nashville army is cut off by Union naval moves.

Federals still quiet.

The Cherokee Rifles report both Lawrence and Fort Leavenworth, Ks lightly defended. Although I would guess Fort Leavenworth is defended by a single US regular regiment. They are tough buggers. As Ft Leavenworth is on a river, it cannot be successfully sieged without help from river boats. In addition, a relieving force can move quickly along the river. Unfortunately, an assault is suicide without at least a couple of brigades if held by a US regular regiment. I can lay ineffective siege and perhaps distract a relieving force to the area. I will consider it but probably a waste of time even though Fort Leavenworth is a strategic VP location. Should I probe the city with an attack to see who is defending the city?

Three cavalry regiments leave Springfield for Lexington, Mo.

Recruiting Troops:
I skipped replacements this turn even though I am out of elite and regular infantry replacements. Unfortunately, I even more desperately need new formations on the battlefield. So....

Ky/Tn Theater: 1 Georgia Cavalry brigade of 4 regiments and 1 horse artillery battery
Gulf Coast Theater: 2 Georgia Coastal Artillery batteries

Statistics:
111-112NM/48FI/1254-851VPs
------------ +52-39VPs

114RR/38River/0Ocean

303$/2Cs/234WS/34,049GS/14,954Ammo In stock
+108$/+31Cs/+51WS/+2,042GS/+463Ammo Production

29,791 CSA-32,916 US casualties

Jagger
AGEod Grognard

Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:45 am

Late April 1862

Eastern Theater:
Manassas is abandoned! The depot and rails are destroyed by McDowell's Union troops on the move to Loudon, Va. Perhaps Prentiss's and Runyun's divisions were bait at Loudon last turn. Regardless a portion of the Union army is now on the march, unentrenched and within easy striking distance of my entire Virginia army. Both Beauregard and Johnson's armies march on Loudon from Alexandria. Seven divisions (pwr 3200) will take 5 days to arrive in Loudon. Hopefully fast enough to catch the Yankees.

Edward Johnson with cavalry will hold Alexandria and the entrenchments until the return of the army. Wither's division marches through Manassas on its way to join E. Johnson's forces holding Alexandria. Kershaw's SC infantry and cavalry occupy Manassas.

I need to move troops to the Kentucky/Tennessee theater urgently.

Kentucky/Tennesse:
Nashville falls!!! Grant was at the lead of two Union Corps striking directly across the Cumberland River into the teeth of level 5 entrenchments. Albert Johnston's 3 divisions braced themselves for battle as boats were sighted crossing the river. Unfortunately, Albert Johnston caught sight of a bayonet glint and the whole force frantically abandoned their superb Nashville entrenchments in favor of safer but more mobile and unentrenched positions at Humphrey, Tennessee!!!

Shameful disaster! Why didn't they fight? At least three static militia regiments, chained to the trenches, fought to the death. 2400 militia rebs are no longer on the rolls while inflicting 245 Union losses. No one else fired a shot.

The two Union corps are fit as a fiddle and can advance wherever their hearts desire. Since Johnston's panicked army fled northwest, I have absolutely no infantry between Nashville and Chattanooga. If Grant moves rapidly on Chattanooga, Bee's single division will abandon Chattanooga even faster than Johnston abandoned Nashville. In addition, Union ironclads can now cut the rails isolating Chattanooga from west Tennessee reinforcements. If Grant moves on Memphis through Henry, there is no reason to expect Johnston's army to stand in defensive positions inferior to Nashville.

Well, time to make the best of a very discouraging situation. First, all of Albert Johnston's army moves by rail to Henry, Tennessee to prevent their isolation on the wrong side of the Tennessee River by river boats. Bonham and one division of his Corps moves by rail from Henry to join Bee's Division at Chatanooga. The remaining two divisions of Bonham's Corps will follow next turn as my rail assets are strained to the limit. Although their movement is also dependent on gunboats not cutting rails to Chattanooga.

All cavalry south and west of Nashville move to destroy every rail between Nashville and the Tennessee River south. The depot at Pulaski is destroyed. Grant will have to walk every mile from Nashville to Chattanooga if he decides on Chattanooga as his next objective-or move by water. A side note on my cavalry. My four cavalry regiments at Humphreys lost almost 1700 troopers last turn without any sort of battle report. My only guess is that those three Union ironclads bombarded the hell out of my cavalry. If so, not good. (Perhaps I should try bombarding Pope's corps at Charleston with my ironclad fleet and see if I hear some grumbling from Kilcavalry.)

The two gunboats based at Nashville will attempt to slip past Union ironclads and make for Chattanooga.

I need more troops or I cannot face a concentrated Union army. Fortunately, Grant will probably split his army. He has two potential routes of advance. Either he can move south on Chattanooga or west on Memphis/Corinth. If he moves with a concentrated army along either route, I may be able to strike Nashville along the unused route. At least some troops will need to hold Nashville.

Although the harsh reality is I need more divisions if I expect my troops to actually fight rather than retreat before superior numbers.

A band of Cherokees scouting Jefferson City and Rolla reveals a large Union force (pwr 440) with supply train commanded by Burnside (3-1-1) at Rolla. Two cavalry regiments and a militia regiment hold Jefferson City. Jefferson City is still weakly held.

Several indian bands are destroying rails throughout Missouri. However rails are not that important in Missouri because the Missouri River is a perfectly acceptable alternative to rails for both movement and supply.

Union forces remain passive as mud conditions remain prevalent throughout the Missouri theater. However I am very concerned whether Van Dorn's (235 pwr) force will actually stand and fight when Burnside (440 pwr) advances. Another large Arkansas brigade under McNair (100+ pwr) should reinforce the Springfield defenses sometime this month.

New Orleans Theater:
A large Yankee fleet arrives offshore Fort St. Phillips in the Louisiana delta. My intelligence is amazingly precise. The fleet is carrying Hooker's division (372 power), Israel Richardson, an NVA volunteer brigade (49 pwr) and a supply train. Fort St. Phillips is an obvious potential target. However he could run the forts to strike at New Orleans or Baton Rouge. Then again, this might be a feint to attract troops from the real target of perhaps Houston or Mobile. I will wait to see troops in skiffs before making any major troop shifts.

My Memphis ironclad fleet moves to Vicksburg. From Vicksburg, the fleet can move either north to Cairo or south to New Orleans in a single move.

Recruiting Troops:
New conscripts go into line and elite infantry replacements plus
two Mississippi Militia regiments raised.

Statistics:
US national morale surges this turn. The NM surge is due to the fall of Nashville...and perhaps the miraculous escape of 100 Union prisoners.

108-115NM/49FI/1301-899VPs
------------ +50-42VPs

111RR/38River/0Ocean

195$/5Cs/186WS/33,855GS/15,026Ammo In stock
+106$/+31Cs/+55WS/+1,946GS/+476Ammo Production

32,295 CSA-33,666 US casualties
--------2400 US Prisoners

marecone

Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:04 pm

Sorry if I am not suposed to write here but did you find out why your troops abandoned Nashville trenches?

Thanks

P.S. Great and informative AAR :coeurs:
Forrest said something about killing a Yankee for each of his horses that they shot. In the last days of the war, Forrest had killed 30 of the enemy and had 30 horses shot from under him. In a brief but savage conflict, a Yankee soldier "saw glory for himself" with an opportunity to kill the famous Confederate General... Forrest killed the fellow. Making 31 Yankees personally killed, and 30 horses lost...

He remarked, "I ended the war a horse ahead."

Jagger
AGEod Grognard

Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:24 am

marecone wrote:Sorry if I am not suposed to write here but did you find out why your troops abandoned Nashville trenches?

Thanks

P.S. Great and informative AAR :coeurs:

Marecone, anyone is welcome to comment or ask questions. No problem.

The retreat of my Nashville army is a reflection of the current structure of the "attempt to retreat" formula. If too greatly outnumbered, troops attempt to retreat prior to combat which is what successfully occurred in this case-unfortunately.

Pocus is considering adding some additional factors into the formula such as entrenchments levels. I would like to see the impact of river crossings also considered.

See this thread for a short discussion on the factors considered by the "attempt to retreat" formula.

http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?t=6430

Glad to hear you are enjoying the AAR!! :sourcil:

Jagger
AGEod Grognard

Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:28 am

Early May 1862

Eastern Theater:
My massive attack (147 elements) on McDowell's (135 elements) marching force in Loudan fizzled into a minor skirmish with a loss of 539 Union troops to 281 rebs. McDowell's force is now occupying entrenchments at Harper's Ferry except one lagging Corps (300pwr) under George Thomas which is still within Loudon- and still within reach. All 8 CSA divisions maintain attack orders but are also plotted to return to the defense of Alexandria. Hopefully they will get a shot at Thomas's troops before both sides depart the region.

Fortunately, Franklin's and Bank's corps at Washington, DC did not move on the very lightly defended Alexandria while the main army was gone. With the return of the main army, it is too late to take Alexandria.

A single Union cavalry regiment was destroyed in a series of running fights at Manassas by Kershaws SC infantry brigade and the 3rd Virginia cavalry regiment. Dole's Laurel Cavalry brigade departs Winchester into Clarke, Va with orders to clear the region of Union cavalry reported in the area.

With the large concentration of Union troops (McDowell alone, 135 elements) at Harper's Ferry, I expect a move on Winchester. Stuart's force is simply way too small to stop them. I cannot easily move troops from the main army to Winchester due to destroyed rails. Nor am I willing to use my main army in an attack against 4 Union corps+ which are behind a river and entrenched in the hills and mud of Harper's Ferry. So my main army falls back to Alexandria. It looks like I am going to lose the VP's of Harper's Ferry and Winchester in exchange for the non-VP positions of Manassas and Alexandria.

Kentucky/Tennesse:
For some reason, Grant remains stationary at Nashville. Even Kearny's (5-3-2) cavalry (?) division at Carthage does not advance. I wonder if Kilcavalry's generals are inactive due to McClellan's leadership.

My cavalry destroy the rails south of Nashville down to and including Pulaski and Winchester, Tn. The rails along the Tennessee River are left intact to allow movement of troops between east and west Tennessee. Cheatham's Division leaves Henry, Tn using those very rails for Chattanooga.

A single Union infantry regiment attacked Livingston in east Tennessee defended by a militia regiment and two exhausted cavalry regiments. My militia regiment was destroyed and the Union captured Livingston. One tough Union regiment. The 1st Tennessee Cavalry moves from Huntsville to counterattack Livingston.

With Cheatham's move complete, I will have 3.5 divisions (1700 pwr) at Henry, Tn and 2.5 divisions (1100 pwr) at Chattanooga. Neither would stand against the concentrated force which attacked Nashville.

The Chattanooga force will be formed into a new army to handle the defense of eastern Tennessee. Albert Johnson's army now has responsibility for defense of western Tennessee.

With no movement by the Union Nashville force, I have some breathing space. Once I see movement, I can consider my next response against this Union behemoth.

My two Nashville gunboats run the gauntlet of Union ironclads and reach Chattanooga safely.

Federals have still not moved in Missouri. I suspect he is waiting for the mud to disappear. My Indian bands continue extensive raids throughout Missouri. Two bands are now moving to cut rails to St. Louis.

New Orleans Theater:
The fleet off Fort St. Philips did not unload any troops this turn??? Perhaps Kilcavalry forgot them or the leader's are inactive or something????

Or is he giving me another turn to redeploy troops before he strikes at his real target. I have moved two recently formed Mississippi Militia regiments to join the New Orleans defense. I also moved a Florida and a Georgia brigade into Alabama and Mississippi. From these locations, they can move north to support the Tn/Ky theater, south to support the Louisiana theater or return to defend the East Coast as necessary.

Overall, Kilcavalry was not very active this turn. I wonder if he did a hurried turn due to lack of time.

Recruiting Troops:
10 conscripts go into line replacements.
3 artillery brigades raised-Ms, Al, SC. The Mississippi and Alabama brigades are each composed of four 12pdr batteries-probable destination Ky/Tn theater. The South Carolina artillery brigade is composed of three 10pdr batteries and one 12pdr battery-probably headed for Virginia theater.

Statistics:
107-116NM/49FI/1354-942VPs
------------ +50-42VPs

137RR/38River/0Ocean

184$/4Cs/158WS/33,917GS/15,515Ammo In stock
+106$/+31Cs/+55WS/+2,066GS/+488Ammo Production

33,795 CSA-35,566 US casualties
--------2600 US Prisoners

Jagger
AGEod Grognard

Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:09 am

Late May 1862

Eastern Theater:
McDowell's army remains stationary at Harper's Ferry-perhaps recovering cohesion or awaiting activated leaders before moving on Winchester.

Two more Union cavalry regiments move into Manassas and are destroyed in a series of fights resulting in 2000 Union casaulties and 600 reb losses. Kilcavalry is absolutely determined to keep the rails down between Alexandria/Manassas and Winchester. However he has now lost 3 cavalry regiments in a month. Is it worth the cost and is he getting short on cavalrymen?

Butler's corps moves from Washington DC to Baltimore. Very interesting. Currently, McDowell has 4+ corps at Harper's Ferry. There were two corps at Washington DC. But now Butler's corps is at Baltimore and Franklin's corps at Washington. Washington is only defended by one corps with the great mass of the Union army at Harper's Ferry and focused on Winchester. Ummmm.

I wonder what would happen if my entire Alexandria army marched on Washington DC while cavalry cuts the rail links between Harper's Ferry and Washington DC?

I am going to go for it. I can only produce a coordinated attack with two of my three primary leaders. So army commander Beauregard with 4 divisions and Stonewall with 4 divisions march via Montgomery, Md to Washington DC. The march should take 7 days and the ground/weather conditions are clear/fair-perfect for an attack. Joe Johnson with one division plus cavalry will defend Alexandria. Although I do not expect an attack on Alexandria until he sees it empty. The 1st and 2nd North Carolina cavalry regiments move to cut rails between Harper's Ferry and Washington, DC.

Stuart continues to hold the entrenchments at Winchester.

I think Kilcavalry may be making the same mistake I made earlier. He appears focused on the two VP's of Harper's Ferry and Winchester while placing at risk even higher value locations-Washington,DC in this case. Just as I put Manassas at risk earlier by going after Harper's Ferry. Even though Manassas is not a VP location, it is far more operationally important than Harper's Ferry.

Kentucky/Tennessee:
Ok, we have movement in the Nashville area. The Union force splits into 4 corps. Grant's corps (pwr 1600) is located between Nashville and Fort Donelson. Keyes Corps (pwr 500) has laid seige to Fort Donelson. Foster's Corps (pwr 250) garrison's Nashville. Once rails are repaired, Grant's Corps can provide march to the guns support to both Keyes and Foster's Corps. The final corps is under Dix (pwr 570) and is marching towards Pulaski while repairing rails. Kearny's cavalry is moving on Winchester, Tn. A single cavalry regiment is leading Dix's corps by a region.

My cavalry falls back to Madison, Alabama to protect the rails. My newly released Ga cavalry brigade moves to Chattanooga. I am going to try to control the area in front of Chattanooga with a heavy concentration of cavalry. If Keye's corps continues to advance, remains weak with little support, I may try a strong surprise attack on the corps. I wonder what results I might achieve if I united both Albert Johnson's Henry force with the Bonham's Chattanooga troops for a hard drive towards Nashville. Unfortunately, I don't control the Tennessee River. That is a big problem.

I move some Rangers into the Fort Donelson region. They will cut the rails to prevent march to guns support from Grant's Corps.

Still quiet. Destroying lots of rails. St Louis is held by only 7 units according to the Drew's Cherokees.

New Orleans Theater:
Hooker's division assaults Fort St. Phillips. After a hard fight, the fort falls. Similiar to Runyun's assault earlier in the war, Hooker's division is decimated losing 4000 men.

It will be awhile before Hooker's division is a threat again.

Recruiting Troops:
Conscripts go into elite,line and skirmisher replacements. I am out of crucial cavalry and field artillery replacements as well. Keels laid on 2 Georgia ironclads. Manpower is very short producing a number of undermanned regiments

Statistics:
106-122NM/50FI/1410-993VPs
------------ +50-42VPs

152RR/38River/0Ocean

68$/1Cs/128WS/33,679GS/15,714Ammo In stock
+106$/+31Cs/+55WS/+1,976GS/+514Ammo Production

35,395 CSA-41,591 US casualties
--------3000 US Prisoners

Jagger
AGEod Grognard

Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:03 pm

Early June 1862

Eastern Theater:
Beauregard and Jackson's 8 divisions crossed the Potomac River into Montgomery rather than directly assaulting across the river into Washington. Then the troops turned sharply east moving into Washington DC. Realizing the danger, Butler's corps reinforced Washington's defense before the arrival of the rebs. The battle was hard fought and close but the Union forces were driven out of Washington back to Annapolis. Beauregard's and Jackson deployed 141 elements against 105 defending elements. Losses were 6956 Union troops vs 5189 Rebs. Washington DC is now under siege. I was surprised that none of my leaders received congratulations after that eventful battle.

The 1st NC cavalry are cutting the rails at Westminster, MD separating the main Union army at Harper's Ferry from Washington DC. The 2nd NC cavalry was pushed back by strong Union cavalry forces in its attempts to penetrate into Frederick City. However the rails cut at Westminster should accomplish the isolation of Washington DC from the main Union army.

Every one of the eight reb divisions (pwr 1700) at Washington DC are battered. Regardless, an assault has to be launched on Washington DC immediately. Only 15 units are listed as defending within Washington's forts. My entire army should be able to defeat them. Although they will need to do the assault quickly. I expect every Union corps in the East marching on Washington, DC next turn. The question is whether the reb army can capture Washington before the arrival of Union reinforcements and then beat off all counterattacks. It is going to be close run race.

Kentucky/Tennesse:
Fort Donelson remains under siege by Keye's Corps. Grant's Corps remains stationary. The corps at Charleston, Mo has pulled back to Cairo leaving a covering force for the town. Kearny's cavalry division has pushed forward and is sieging Pulaski.

Polk and Van Dorn (transferred from Missouri) with 9 cavalry regiments and a single horse artillery battery will attack Kearny's cavalry at Pulaski to break the siege.

My attacks by the 1st Tennessee Cavalry to recapture Overton fail with heavy losses on both sides. That single very tough Union regiment continues to hold. A weak 2nd Alabama Cavalry moves from Huntsville to relieve the 1st Tn and maintain a siege. The 1st Tn pulls back to Huntsville.

My two main forces remain in place at Henry, Tn and Chattanooga.

Union forces remain in place. My forces continue cutting rails throughout the theater.

New Orleans Theater:
Fort St. Phillips occupied but no movement by federal forces

Recruiting Troops:
Conscripts go into line, cavalry and field artillery replacements. Keel laid on a single South Carolina ironclad. Volunteers and drafts are next turn. I can see now that a substantial portion of those new troops will go into replacements rather than new formations.

Statistics:
106-123NM/50FI/1460-1035VPs
------------ +50-42VPs
147RR/38River/0Ocean

44$/1Cs/88WS/33,770GS/16,101Ammo In stock
+106$/+31Cs/+53WS/+1,958GS/+541Ammo Production

40,970 CSA-48,816 US casualties
--------3000 US Prisoners

Jagger
AGEod Grognard

Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:25 pm

Late June 1862

Eastern Theater:
Beauregard and Jackson's divisions launched a series of attacks and finally captured Washington. Another 8700 rebs were lost to the garrisions 8300 losses. A further 1400 yankees were taken prisoner. Of the 15 units defending Washington, only 5 were infantry regiments. Shortly after the fall of Washington, Butler's and Steven's two corps attacked across the river from Annapolis. Their 82 elements were defeated by the 151 CSA elements suffering 5100 union losses to 2250 CSA losses. Irwin McDowell and Thomas's corps are just entering the Washington area but too late to attack. I am surprised they are this close to Washington after their movement from Harper's Ferry. Although with clear weather and good ground, I shouldn't be too surprised. All Union forces are now concentrated on Washington except Milroy's corps still at Harper's Ferry.

The rebel army is down to 880 power with all divisions understrength and with low cohesion. Over 15,000 men have been lost over the last month. Although the army is very weak, entrenchments are already up to level 5 with the help of engineers. In addition, rain produces mud conditions at Washington this turn which assists defense.

CSA national morale soars while Union national morale collapses with the fall of Washington DC. Now I wonder how many Union corps are activated and can counterattack next turn.

Many rebel commanders were congratulated this turn with the fall of Washington. Although in checking the leader roster, none are elgible for promotion yet.

Kentucky/Tennesse:
Grant joins with Keye's division at Fort Donelson and launches an assault. Fort Donelson falls and too easily. At a cost of 300 Union losses, Grant inflicts 1900 CSA casaulties.

Kearny's troops abandoned Pulaski on the approach of Polk and Van Dorn's cavalry. Kearny's cavalry joins Dix's corps (pwr 570) just north of Pulaski at Maury, Tn.

Overton's defense was reinforced by a Union cavalry regiment. The 2nd Alabama cavalry fought a series of small indecisive skirmishes with the Union cavalry leaving both sides exhausted but neither victorious.

Union forces remain in place. My forces continue cutting rails throughout the theater.

New Orleans Theater:
No movement by federal forces

Recruiting Troops:

Statistics:
158-74NM/51FI/1605-1037VPs
------------ +52-39VPs

162RR/38River/0Ocean

59$/1Cs/100WS/33,930GS/16,233Ammo In stock
+128$/+37Cs/+68WS/+2,496GS/+672Ammo Production

53,896 CSA-59,915 US casualties
--------4400 US Prisoners

Jagger
AGEod Grognard

Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:23 pm

Well, we have decided to move on to the next game.

It was a very tough game. One mistake in the east ended the game early. Kilcavalry forgot to move his main force back from Harper's Ferry to Washington as he intended. Over the last couple turns, I felt he was playing hurried and short on time. Unfortunately, that mistake was a consequence. However the Ky/Tn theater was going very well for Kilcavalry. I suspect I would have been hard pressed through the summer 0f 62 in stopping Grant and company. Definitely a fun and challenging game.

Overall, I am happy with the play with the new modifications. The game involved very active maneuvering in the East without the entrenchment walls of our last unmodded game. I suspect we would have seen the same thing in the west with time. Manpower was very tight on my side. However the CSA leadership advantage is substantial. Consistently, my corps were active. I could initiate action and react without delay. I seriously doubt if Kilcavalry's corps had the same level of activation. I still see the Union task as very difficult for the first couple of years.

In our next game, we will switch sides once again. I am very curious how to use the more numerous Union troops to overcome the CSA activation and troop quality advantage. I am sure it isn't going to be easy.

We will play with the same modifications as this last game. In our finished game, many of the mods introduced during game play should have been in place from the beginning of the game. In particular, the conversion of early to late war troops and the conscript conversion to early war troops really needs to be in place from the start. We will have them in place from the start in our next game.

Also we will have some brand new modifications in the next game. The map has been extensively revised with some adjustment of VP locations and carefully selected, new level one towns created in border states. In addition, the Missouri theater has been substantially modded, hopefully, to better reflect the intensity and importance of the Missouri theater. We will also be playing with modded naval forces. Speeds and build times have been revised and assault values added to ships. Hopefully the problem with frozen rivers south of Cairo has been fixed-hopefully. Also the western branch of the Atchafalaya River is now shallow water. No more bypassing the forts protecting New Orleans by deep draft ships. Finally, Minnesota, Rhode Island, Colorado infantry and Minnesota, Kansas, Missouri, West Virginia, Colorado, Delaware, New Jersey, Massacheutts, Maine and Rhode Island cavalry have been added to the force pool. Now, we should be able to recruit infantry and cavalry from every state that participated in the ACW.

Well I hope everyone enjoyed the AAR. I know I had fun.

And I want to offer many thanks to Kilcavalry for another challenging game as well as for his valuable ideas and feedback concerning the new PBEM mod.

Guru80
Colonel

Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:59 am

Loved following your AAR and will definitely follow the next if you choose to post it. Great read and nice to see your strategy unfold and develop over time.

marecone

Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:28 am

Guru80 wrote:Loved following your AAR and will definitely follow the next if you choose to post it. Great read and nice to see your strategy unfold and develop over time.

Seconded :coeurs:
Forrest said something about killing a Yankee for each of his horses that they shot. In the last days of the war, Forrest had killed 30 of the enemy and had 30 horses shot from under him. In a brief but savage conflict, a Yankee soldier "saw glory for himself" with an opportunity to kill the famous Confederate General... Forrest killed the fellow. Making 31 Yankees personally killed, and 30 horses lost...

He remarked, "I ended the war a horse ahead."

Jagger
AGEod Grognard

Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:10 am

Glad to hear you both enjoyed the AAR!

Actually I told Kilcavalry I wasn't going to write up an AAR on our next game. However I may do it anyway. I think it should be a unique game with some of the houserules we are going to use plus the modded map. But it really depends on time. If I feel I can do it properly, I will.

Guru80
Colonel

Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:33 am

Jagger wrote:Glad to hear you both enjoyed the AAR!

Actually I told Kilcavalry I wasn't going to write up an AAR on our next game. However I may do it anyway. I think it should be a unique game with some of the houserules we are going to use plus the modded map. But it really depends on time. If I feel I can do it properly, I will.

I loved following this AAR so much I would stop in every evening to see if it was updated. I hope you find time to write one up but if not good luck to you and Killcavalry in your next game :gardavou: :dada:

I am actually thinking of writing one up from my current PBEM game. I have saved all the turns and have been keeping notes but didn't want to be my own double agent providing facts to the scoundrels of the South :p

Actually I think I will just several turns behind our game. I am going to steal your layout Jagger, hope you don't mind!

GShock

Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:14 pm

Just lovely PBEM and AARs and a good lesson to follow, jagger!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
We ain't going down!

Jagger
AGEod Grognard

Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:24 am

I am actually thinking of writing one up from my current PBEM game. I have saved all the turns and have been keeping notes but didn't want to be my own double agent providing facts to the scoundrels of the South

Actually I think I will just several turns behind our game. I am going to steal your layout Jagger, hope you don't mind!

Definitely write up your AAR. I would enjoy reading it.

Kilcavalry read my AAR while the game was playing out but kept either 7 or 8 months behind the current date. That far behind doesn't reveal much information. Although you can always ask your opponent to wait till the game is over to read it.

Also I think writing an AAR is good for your game. It forced me to really think about what I was doing and my future intentions. It helped keep me focused. In terms of playtesting, it is very valuable to have a consistent record of the changing parameters. It does take some time though.

For everyone, if anyone is interesting in beta testing the PBEM scenario, send me a private message. The more ideas and feedback, the better the end result.

Return to “American Civil War AARs”