Gentleman
Conscript

Save games disapears

Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:00 pm

Greetings from Sweden! As title says....my save games just disapears. For example, Im on the 16 turn and suddenly when Im going to load my last save game its on turn 10. Very annoying! :bonk:

Pocus

Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:22 pm

because of the client/server aspect of the game, the current turn is always saved when you hit next turn. Now if you want to revert one turn back, or even several turns back (up to 12, a whole year), just pass the mouse over the game name in the load window, and hit HOME (the tooltip tells you the 3 things that you can do in-game when it comes to manipulate files)

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Gentleman
Conscript

Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:29 pm

Thanx or the quick replay. My problem is not that I want to revert several turns back. I just want to start play where I finished the last game.

Primasprit

Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:00 pm

Actually the savegame system of BoA is also still a little mystery to me (and I never dared to explore this in detail). A more conventional way to handle this wouldn't be bad. But you should always be able to load your last turn. Browse through the list of the savegames and look for the timestamp. If you remember when you stopped playing you will be able to locate your file. :)
I think the files you save with the "Save" button in the game will be overwritten in the next turn.

Gentleman
Conscript

Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:20 pm

Yeah, Im so confused right now. Can someone please explane how the campain och save system is organised? Im playing Frensh&Indian campain and everything looks good, its september 1756, suddenly the next turn jumps to januari and most of my army has disapeard och many citys that I have taken is back in the hands of the enemy. I then tried to load an old game but thats doesnt work, the old games says 1757 but starts in the beginning of the game wtf, Im a stupid or what? :)

Primasprit

Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:50 pm

OK, it works like that:
For example I start a new 1755 campaign as England. Every time I press the "Turn" button the game is saved. In the "Load" dialog you will find a new file like "1755 campaign~ENG (1755 May) 22.01.2007 22:01". After every turn this file is overwritten by the current turn. But the game keep backups from your previous turns. You can access these backups by hovering with the mouse over the filename in the load menu and watch for the tooltip like Pocus described it. The game will save the files in
[font="Courier New"]...\Birth of America\BoA\Saves\1755 Campaign\[/font] and [font="Courier New"]\Backup[/font] subdirectories.
If you press the "Save" button while playing the game your current state is saved but will be replaced by a new file at the end of the turn. So normally you have only one file visible in the load menu.
If you start the same campaign again, another file will appear, with the same name but, of course, another timestamp. BoA will create a new directory for this like
[font="Courier New"]...\Birth of America\BoA\Saves\1755 Campaign0\[/font]
so your other files and backups are not lost.
Once understood this system is not so bad. I was always confused by the number of files appearing in the load menu but they where only created because I restarted the campaigns quite often. So it is a good thing to clean up once in a while.
There is also a "Save as" function: hold the ctrl-key and click on "Save". You are prompted to enter a filename. The files you create in this way are not touched by the autosave function.
I hope this clarified things a bit. But if the savegame says something like "It's turn 42 and 62 turns remain" and start in 1755 after you load it something is really wrong. :bonk:

Gentleman
Conscript

Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:08 pm

I think I understand the weird savesystem, BUT, do you play a campain from the first year until the last in one game or is the campain split in different scenarios (even if you choise the campainmode) where you "start over" ones the first "scenario" is ended? I cant understand why the game jumped a few mounth forward and I lost much of my concuerd territories in 1756 (happend two times)

I did the ctrl + save thing 10 times so I shouldnt have to play it all over again, but that didnt help....thers allot of save games but non of them starts where the game fucked upp (the dates and the turn info is not right) I hope you understand my bad english, I cant write when Im upset :)

Primasprit

Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:09 pm

Gentleman wrote:Im playing Frensh&Indian campain and everything looks good, its september 1756, suddenly the next turn jumps to januari and most of my army has disapeard och many citys that I have taken is back in the hands of the enemy.

Sorry, as I was totally focused on the savegame system I completly missed the point of your previous post: So you say the game jumped several months forward? This should not happen (and never happened to me). Best you contact the support directly about that. See http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?t=215
Are you using the newest patch (1.10d)?

Gentleman wrote:I think I understand the weird savesystem, BUT, do you play a campain from the first year until the last in one game or is the campain split in different scenarios (even if you choise the campainmode) where you "start over" ones the first "scenario" is ended? I cant understand why the game jumped a few mounth forward and I lost much of my concuerd territories in 1756 (happend two times)

You play the campaign continuously from month to month until the end. It is not split.

Pocus

Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:16 am

I think that Primasprit explained in better English how the 'weird' file system work :) It can appears weird, but really if you think of a simultaneous turn based file system, you can't really do otherwise. Each faction must have a status report of his turn, in a separate file (the TRN files). Each faction must have his orders in a separate file (the ORD files). Finally the host must have all infos gathered in one place (HST file) and will need the ORD files of the player to process the turn.

As for your problem, Gentleman. If you don't manipulate the files outside of the game, there is no possibility to lose a game or jump several turns in a game. So I will dare think that you have a bunch of saved games, and you are not loading the right one. Don't forget also that you have to scroll the list if you are most than 15 saved games, so perhaps the one you seek is somewhere at the bottom :)

I would advise you to check the turn number of each saved game and delete the unneeded ones, there is also a function in-game to handle that. Normally you should find your game. If not, you can make me one zip containing all that is in the save directory (right click on the folder and zip it), I don't care if the thing weight 50 MB... When done post the file at a free hosting service, like: http://www.rogepost.com/

The standard procedure when you play the game is NOT save it in fact, because the game does that for you, every turn (because of the simultaneous turn scheme, as explained above). If you screw something you can always trace back up to one year in the past, and you do that in-game (you don't have to handle files on your disk).

CTRL-save is only used on rare occasions where you want to create a new 'branch' in your save, but the backup render that rather superfluous.

save is only used when you are planning your order and don't want to finish planning in the same cession. Save your orders and quit the game, you can resume it later. Said otherwise, if you end your turn, and wait for the new turn, you will see it is already saved and you can quit the game safely (providing you have not restarted issuing orders, you will find your game back when you reload the game).

Hope it is clearer!

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Gentleman
Conscript

Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:04 pm

Hi again! I loaded an old game an played it until the date when it first took the jump one year back, and this time it worked. This jump has happend two times but if I save alot it´s not a really big problem. Thanks for the help anyway.

Return to “BoA Technical support / Aide technique”