bryandoeg
Civilian

Install Problem

Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:43 am

I've been unable to install the game on my laptop (vista based). When I try to launch the game or the config utility it just sits there (nothing happens). When I attempt to launch the game it states that the serial number was incorrect. I read on the forums that others have experienced similar issues and were able to resolve them by manually opening the "general.opt" file. I found the file and was able to open it with notepad but seem to have encountered one final snag. Vista won't let me save the file; I just get an error message stating "Cannot create the ...general.opt file. Make sure the path and file name are correct." Has anyone else encountered this problem or have any idea how I could get past it? Also, the file is not marked as read only or anything like that.

Also, I successfully opened it in Wordpad but encountered a similar problem. When I try to save it tells me "Access to ...general.opt was denied."

bryandoeg
Civilian

Aha!

Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:36 am

Hey! Figured it out. I looked in properties, then advanced (under attributes). I looked into the authorizations and it turned out the settings were marked to allow me to do anything but "write," so I checked the box and it saved fine. So far the game's working without a problem. Hopefully if anyone else encounters this problem this is helpful.

Pocus

Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:01 am

Aaaah Vista... Soon enough, the next Microsoft O/S will ask you to check a box to allow Windows to load. That will be an interesting problem ;)

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Return to “BoA Technical support / Aide technique”