quikstrike98
Conscript

Game Causes Puter to Reboot

Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:51 pm

I purchased BoA last night from Steam, and was delighted to finally have it. Until I started playing it...I can't get past perhaps the 4th turn of the 1775 scenario without the game not just crashing to desktop...but in fact my computer reboots. Anyone else having this problem?

Pocus

Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:18 am

what exactly happens? You CTD and then a second later the computer reboot? You have a blue screen?

Its the first report of this kind, but you are also one of the first Steam customer. Can you please check if the demo works for you? If yes then Strategy First will have to fix the problem, because I seriously doubt BoA can reboot a computer by itself.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

quikstrike98
Conscript

Reboot

Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:50 am

It doesn't even CTD--the game freezes, waits a couple seconds, then the screen goes black, and shortly thereafter the WindowsXP reboot bar (with the scrolling blue line running left to right) shows up on the screen.

I have not tried the demo yet, it may be a couple days before I get to downloading it, but I'll try it.

Pocus

Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:31 am

Ok, knowing if the demo crashes in the same way - or not, will be rather precious.
Also you can forward your dxdiag file to me: support@ageod.com

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

quikstrike98
Conscript

Problem Resolved

Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:13 am

Well I took a while to respond as there were a few things I wanted to do to see if I could correct the problem--and they did.

First, I cranked up my RAM from 512MB to a Gig. Secondly, I updated the drivers for my Radeon 9600 graphics card. This corrected some bugginess I'd seen with the graphics as well (game would start out okay, but then town names etc would start flickering). Game was stabilized, but then restarted my system yet *again*. Figured out the problem--I had left my Yahoo messenger running in the background when I launched the game. A second reboot of my system occured when my Weatherbug program attempted to give me a weather update alert. Bottom line: at least on my system, BoA is *totally* intolerant of other programs running in the background while BoA is running.

Another thing: Have there been any issues of BoA having a memory leak problem? A few times, I have exited out of BoA after several hours of playing, only to get a message once out of the game, that my virtual memory is running extremely low...

Obediah
Corporal

Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:44 am

I got my copy of BoA through Steam & have had no problems at all...lucky me.
[color="Blue"][font="Trebuchet MS"]"I will fight so long as I have a leg or an arm." - George Washington, Brooklyn, Aug [/font]1776[/color]

Pocus

Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:18 am

quikstrike98 wrote:Well I took a while to respond as there were a few things I wanted to do to see if I could correct the problem--and they did.
good to hear that. We have very rarely hardware problems with BOA, and I confess that for now it has never been proved that it was the game "fault".

First, I cranked up my RAM from 512MB to a Gig. Secondly, I updated the drivers for my Radeon 9600 graphics card. This corrected some bugginess I'd seen with the graphics as well (game would start out okay, but then town names etc would start flickering).
definitively a sign that your video card is the source of all graphical glitches, as BoA uses DirectX 8 call, and DirectX 8 is out and stable since a very long time.

Game was stabilized, but then restarted my system yet *again*. Figured out the problem--I had left my Yahoo messenger running in the background when I launched the game. A second reboot of my system occured when my Weatherbug program attempted to give me a weather update alert. Bottom line: at least on my system, BoA is *totally* intolerant of other programs running in the background while BoA is running.
I would say that your video card is still the source of the problem, as there is no previous report of this sort. Have you tried running the game in windowed mode with AGESettings? On the second tab, specify a screen resolution with a window border for example.

Another thing: Have there been any issues of BoA having a memory leak problem? A few times, I have exited out of BoA after several hours of playing, only to get a message once out of the game, that my virtual memory is running extremely low...
It can happens because you are low on disk space either on the windows partition, or on the partition where BoA is installed. It can also be caused by "fake reports", ie the video card need more RAM that it has, and thus get virtual RAM from windows, but don't mark it as released once BoA shut down. On some computers, windows can get it back, on some others it will be reported as missing. Another hint I would say that your video card is fragile.

Sorry if my post seems to accuse your video card, but I really do think that the cause of your problems revolve around this piece of hardware. :cwboy:

kevarms
Civilian

Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:57 pm

I had the same problem...computer rebooting during the game. Updating my graphics driver seems to have fixed the problem. Cool game! Playing the demo now but will be buying the full game ASAP

Return to “BoA Technical support / Aide technique”