Owl
Major

RUS Gold Game

Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:08 am

Just wondering if there is interest in getting together a PBEM for RUS Gold? Personally, I'm fresh to AGEOD PBEM, except for an attempt at the Finnish Civil War scenario in the original version of the game. I'd be fine with any of the scenarios and can settle into each faction (equally poorly). Ideally, others with comparable lack of experience would be willing to give it a go in one of the longer campaign scenarios, but I guess veterans of the multiplayer wars are also fine if they promise to not crush the rest within the first ten turns. ;) I'd prefer a reasonable, not too breathtaking pace that would account for real world obligations and different time zones, which in my PBEM experience with other games usually comes about naturally anyway.

Anyway, putting the suggestion out there and hoping to hear back!

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:33 am

I'm in a way like you. I would be okay to enter your game,
but I may rarely take two weeks to send a turn. If you agree the risk I'm yours.

Owl
Major

Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:12 pm

Hi ERISS,

that's fine by me. We all know that circumstances can sometimes make it impossible to immediately pay attention to the game, so if such a situation should arise, there is nothing to worry about in my opinion.

So, that leaves us with looking for a third player and then deciding on the exact scenario to play, factions and settings.

Emx77

Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:19 pm

I'm also interested. So far, I've limited experience playing Southern Whites for a 15 turns in GC. Never tried other two factions. :-)

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:45 pm

So we're set? invitation closed?
I never played a campaign, only the shortest scenario.
As newbs, we should play the shortest campaign ('Red Spring'?). Emx77 should not take SouthWhites again :)
I'm okay to play any of 3 factions; as a player I like all for different reasons.

Owl
Major

Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:59 pm

Great to have you on board, Emx77. This should be fun.

As neither you, ERISS, nor me, have voiced any faction preference, let's see if Emx has any preference. If he doesn't have any preference either, I'll just roll a dice or something to slot us into the various factions. I'm fine with your preference in scenario.

I can host, if you want. Do we want to play with historical attrition or without it?

Also, maybe I'll document our progress in an AAR thread, not sure yet. It could maybe become an nice future assistance tool for newcomers to the game.

Emx77

Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:16 pm

I vote for historical attrition without activation rule selected (recommended in manual). I'm ok with "Red Spring" or GC scenario, whichever you like more. I don't have any side preferences - maybe it would be best Owl to roll dice in order to determine sides. Also, I agree Owl to be host. I'm not sure how much you are familiar with Drop Box (DB)? It would be nice to use DB for files exchange.

AAR is great idea. :thumbsup:

Owl
Major

Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:05 pm

I am indifferent about GC or "Red Spring", at least back in the day word on the street was that the GC is loopsided in favor of the Whites in PBEM, but this might not hold true anymore in Gold. But if ERISS prefers Red Spring, I am as said completely fine with it. As for activation rules, the default setting is the middle box - is that the one also recommended by the manual? If not, I am not sure what was last updated, the default recommended setting in the game or the recommendation in the manual. The difference would basically be how far unactivated stacks can move (especially important for the Reds with their often abysmal leadership). Sure, let's go with historical attrition unless ERISS voices concerns.

As for Dropbox, I am perfectly familiar with it and have one. I have no problem with handling it that way, it's a very convenient way. I'll upload turn files that way.

At this pace we might even be able to get our first turn going today!

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:15 pm

These rules?? (just a proposition, I'm not used to them):
. Game:
[ATTACH]33993[/ATTACH]
. AI:
[ATTACH]33992[/ATTACH]
Attachments
RusG_pbem_Jeu.png
RusG_pbem_IA.png

Emx77

Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:42 pm

Owl wrote: As for activation rules, the default setting is the middle box - is that the one also recommended by the manual?

This is from manual under chapter 5.7. Leader Activation Rule:

"Note: It is NOT recommended to play Davaï! RUS with the Leader Activation Rule selected. The game is designed and balanced to not use it." (RUS Gold manual, p. 39)

I'm OK with ERISS proposition. Only thing I would change is to set attrition to "historical". But that is not game-breaking thing. If you like to play without "historical" attrition, it is fine with me. Owl can make DB folder. I suggest that we exchange mail addresses via PM.

Baris
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:50 am

I think it was mainly because inactive leaders were not forming divisions; more of a help for Reds. Historical attrition is a must for All AGEOD games I think.

Return to “PBEM and multiplayer matchups (all games)”