pgr
General of the Army

Left side of Bracket Finish

Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:49 am

Hello all, this is a quick announcement. Both games on the left side of the bracket have now finished.

Skibear (USA)- Seraphim (CSA): Turn 56, USA: 3439VP, 160NM, 234,986 losses. CSA: 1858VP, 72NM, 231,581

Ace (USA)- Jim-NC (CSA): (USA NM Victory) Turn 26, USA: 1,598VP, 176NM, 56,707 losses. CSA: 738VP, 23NM, 112,904 losses.

USA VP bonus for NM victory: 2,000+(100*30 turns remaining)=2,000+3,000=5,000

So Ace's tournament total is 6,598VP.

Ace and Seraphim advance to the next round.... (and I had better get started on that bracket!)

For the right side of the bracket, the turn 24 update will be coming out soon.

(AARs up to turn 24 are now allowed)

Skibear
Lieutenant

Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:07 am

Well played Ace, enjoy the next round, and bad luck Jim, tough early blows to recover from for sure.
"Stay low, move fast"

Skibear
Lieutenant

Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:11 am

Well played Ace, solid victory for sure. Enjoy the next round, and bad luck Jim, tough early blows to recover from for sure.
"Stay low, move fast"

Guru94
Corporal

Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:29 am

My congratulations to Ace and Seraphim.

pgr
General of the Army

Late March 1862 (Turn 24)

Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:25 pm

Winter has passed and we are now into spring...

Left Side of Bracket:
Ace (USA)- Jim-NC (CSA): USA- NM 154, VP 1,359 (+57/turn), 43,552 Losses. CSA- NM 48, VP 781 (+37/turn), 94,916 Losses.

Skibear (USA)- Seraphim (CSA): NM 95, VP 895 (+46/turn), 25,010 Losses. CSA- NM 114 VP 1,145 (+49/turn), 20,824 Losses.

Right Side of Bracket:
Guru94 (USA)- Lindi (CSA): USA- NM 100, VP 940 (+43/turn), 25,680 Losses. CSA- NM 107, VP 1,145 (+53/turn), 26,643 Losses

FelixZ (USA)- Liberty Bell (CSA): USA- NM 94, VP 660 (+43/turn), 32,289 Losses. CSA- NM 111, VP 1077 (+52/turn), 46,801 Losses

Ace-Jim
[ATTACH]32594[/ATTACH]

Guru94-Lindi
[ATTACH]32595[/ATTACH]

FelixZ-Havi
[ATTACH]32596[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Turn 24 Felix-Havi.JPG
Turn 24.jpg
Turn 24.jpg

Seraphim
Corporal

AAR Skibear vs Seraphim part 3

Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:20 pm

In the last episode, we left Grant (and his army) just next of Fort Donelson, with most CSA's troops in the theatre badly positioned near Memphis. As you can imagine, that led to a rapid fall of Fort Donelson.

However, Grant's offensive in Tennessee and Union's reinforcement/counterattack in Kansas left Saint Louis only defended by its garrison and some light or in training troop.

So I launched an ambitious operation : I evacuated Kansas (the troop were used for defending Springfield MO) and send Polk and Watie against Saint Louis. I also take advantage of the CSA's river fleet for landing another division from Memphis directly against Saint Louis.

The movement phase of the plan was a success : Polk and Watie bypassed Jefferson City and Rolla and took control of the railroad leading to Saint Louis. Smith landed his troop successfully and started besieging the city.

Despite the sudden return of the bad weather, CSA had control of the railroad up to Union MO, cutting Saint Louis of much the other Union's troops in Missouri. Moreover Ironclads were positioned to prevent reinforcement from Indiana.

[ATTACH]32628[/ATTACH]

All the generals were active, Saint Louis was besieged and isolated, the main force under Polk could reach it before any Union's reinforcement : I was confident that Saint Louis would fall the next turn.

I was wrong !

[ATTACH]32629[/ATTACH]

The first assault by Smith's troops was repulsed. Polk effectively reached Saint Louis before any Union's reinforcement at day 11 but didn't attacked the weakened garrison (cursed be the Delayed Commitment). At day 15, Sumner's reinforcement (one division) landed despite CSA's Ironclads. Polk didn't bothered to contest the landing.

In short : Polk totally botched the operation !

If I didn't needed him (and if I wasn't afraid of the PV penalty) I would gladly had him shoot by a firing squad for failing so utterly. Actually, now that I know the result of the match Ace / Jim-NC, I should had him executed. "Pour l'exemple"...

With one full division to reinforce the garrison, CSA had no more hope to take the city so I ordered a retreat.

Everything would have been so different if Polk hadn't royally failed to take Saint Louis...

Elsewhere, fortunately for the CSA, some of its generals were more competent than Polk (it's not difficult actually) and managed to hold their ground.

The first Union's attack on Tucson was (barely) repulsed.

[ATTACH]32630[/ATTACH]

And Shelby prevented the fall of Mobile despite the importance of Burnside's force

[ATTACH]32631[/ATTACH]

The lightly defended Pensacola was lost however.

[ATTACH]32632[/ATTACH]

All was quiet (baring some skirmishes) in the others theatres of operation.

In Tennessee, Grant remained at Fort Donelson after taking it. I don't know if the culprit is the bad weather or the whisky...

In Virginia, the situation remain in a deadlock for now.
Attachments
Mobile II.jpg
Mobile I.png
Tucson I.png
St Louis II.png
St Louis I.png

Seraphim
Corporal

AAR Skibear vs Seraphim part 3 (end)

Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:27 pm

Here is the result screen.

[ATTACH]32633[/ATTACH]
Attachments
F9 24.png

Jim-NC

Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:31 pm

pgr wrote:Winter has passed and we are now into spring...

Left Side of Bracket:
Ace (USA)- Jim-NC (CSA): USA- NM 154, VP 1,359 (+57/turn), 43,552 Losses. CSA- NM 48, VP 1,145 (+37/turn), 94,916 Losses.

Skibear (USA)- Seraphim (CSA): NM 95, VP 895 (+46/turn), 25,010 Losses. CSA- NM 114 VP 1,145 (+49/turn), 20,824 Losses.

Right Side of Bracket:
Guru94 (USA)- Lindi (CSA): USA- NM 100, VP 940 (+43/turn), 25,680 Losses. CSA- NM 107, VP 1,145 (+53/turn), 26,643 Losses

FelixZ (USA)- Liberty Bell (CSA): USA- NM 94, VP 660 (+43/turn), 32,289 Losses. CSA- NM 111, VP 1077 (+52/turn), 46,801 Losses

Ace-Jim
[ATTACH]32594[/ATTACH]

Guru94-Lindi
[ATTACH]32595[/ATTACH]

FelixZ-Havi
[ATTACH]32596[/ATTACH]

(And three of the 4 CSA players had the same VP level...imagine that)

That's a typo, as I only had 781 points (300+ behind Seraphim)
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Skibear
Lieutenant

Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:45 pm

To briefly fill in the union perspective on Seraphims excellent summary, St Louis caused quite a panic in Washington for sure. Unfortunately while Grant did take Donelson as per plan, and the fleet followed up, the river promptly froze Foote into the harbour and we couldn't respond. However there was a small window. Like a tiny mousehole really, where Sumner could use riverine transport (which I hate using for combat moves but since the gloves were off..) to reach Union, MO and then slip into the city to bolster the defenses. High risk with his fleet rampant but the alternative was a major diversion of effort to track back. It paid off thankfully.
While he looked like he committed the CSA reserve we took a blind chance that New Orleans was defended but that Mobile wasn't. But seems seraphim read it well and Burnside was forced to pull back to Pensacola, and straight after Blakely, which we captured as a safety backup thankfully.
So overall a victory for both of us for last ditch, skin of teeth defenses!
"Stay low, move fast"

pgr
General of the Army

Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:18 am

Jim-NC wrote:That's a typo, as I only had 781 points (300+ behind Seraphim)

;) thanks Jim

Ace

Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:05 pm

Hi everyone,

I wish to announce my withdrawal from the tournament.

Sadly, my job/business obligations will considerably increase in the future (I couldn't had foreseen that when we started this tournament). So, when I realistically view my free time in the next year, I have to admit that I wouldn't be able to keep up the pace and efficiently play the tournament. And it wouldn't be fair to try to play it, play few rounds and then to quit because I can't keep up. So unfortunatelly, I have to quit now.

If there is ever a "right" time to withdraw, it is now before the round starts. I am sure Paul will find suitable replacemnent.

Best regards and good luck.

Bye,

Ace.

pgr
General of the Army

Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:43 am

Ace wrote:Hi everyone,

I wish to announce my withdrawal from the tournament.

Sadly, my job/business obligations will considerably increase in the future (I couldn't had foreseen that when we started this tournament). So, when I realistically view my free time in the next year, I have to admit that I wouldn't be able to keep up the pace and efficiently play the tournament. And it wouldn't be fair to try to play it, play few rounds and then to quit because I can't keep up. So unfortunatelly, I have to quit now.

If there is ever a "right" time to withdraw, it is now before the round starts. I am sure Paul will find suitable replacemnent.

Best regards and good luck.

Bye,

Ace.

Ah, real life claims another victim. Ace, you will be missed! Concerning the tournament, with Ace's withdrawal, Skibear advances.... looks like a re-match.

pgr
General of the Army

L June 1862 (Turn 30)

Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:48 am

And here we have the turn 30 update.

As you remember, the left side of the bracket has finished, but for comparison purposes...

Skibear (USA)- Seraphim (CSA): USA- NM 98 VP 1176 (+53/turn) 64,435 Losses. CSA- NM 130 VP 1448 (+43/turn) 50,554 Losses

Right side of the bracket

Right Side of Bracket:
Guru94 (USA)- Lindi (CSA): USA- NM 112, VP 1224 (+45/turn), 28,065 Losses. CSA- NM 101, VP 1427 (+48/turn), 36,373 Losses

FelixZ (USA)- Havi (CSA): USA- NM 160, VP 1120 (+48/turn), 79,296 Losses. CSA- NM 41, VP 1244 (+45/turn), 122,528 Losses

[ATTACH]32791[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]32790[/ATTACH]

And finally, this post marks the end of my tenure as the tournament director. I unfortunately will be taking an unavoidable break from CW2 do to work obligations. Thankfully, Jim-NC has agreed to step in and see this thing across the finish line. So I leave you all in his capable hands.

It has been a pleasure putting this thing together, and I hope you have all enjoyed participating. Good luck to the finalists, and I'll check into the forum as much as I can.

(oh and feel free to post AAR stuff through turn 30.
Attachments
Turn 30.jpg
Turn 30 Felix-Havi.JPG

Seraphim
Corporal

Thanks pgr

Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:26 pm

And another victim...
I know the American Civil War was bloody but even the tournament director is amongst the casualties...

Well, thank you pgr for organising the tournament so far, you will be missed !

Good luck for your new appointment Jim-NC !

Seraphim
Corporal

AAR Skibear vs Seraphim part 4

Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:33 pm

Here is the next episode of our match.

As Skibear and I explained in our last posts, so far the situation remained in a deadlock : both Confederation's and Union's offensives were repulsed.

Two events will break the impasse : Union's offensive against Winchester and the end of Kentucky's neutrality.

In Virginia, there was a gap in my defence at Clarke VA. Union used it to attack Longstreet's two divisions guarding Winchester with much of its troops in the area.

The first battle was a disaster for the Union, McDowell losing 12k men and 9 NM. It seems at least one Union's division was decimated in the assault. Longstreet and Smith were praised for their defence and promoted.

[ATTACH]32813[/ATTACH]

But the Union was too strong and the following day, the exhausted troops of Longstreet were driven off Winchester. So Skibear managed to take Winchester and break the deadlock but took heavy casualties doing it.

[ATTACH]32814[/ATTACH]

The same turn, Kentucky choose to remain loyal to the Union, unlocking its territory.
I believed it was an opportunity to strike : I had several divisions under Jackson at Nashville and Grant had finally left Ft Donelson and was marching against Memphis (or Corinth). Corinth was expendable, Memphis well guarded, Nashville assumed safe and Louisville vulnerable.

So I made the mistake to send Jackson and his troops against Louisville, after all, fast attacks are Jackson's speciality, right ?

And Jackson done very well : in several battle he defeated the Union's troop in Kentucky and take Louisville in one turn earning him his promotion to a 3 stars general.

Unfortunately for me, my move was anticipated. Skibear stopped Grant's advance, leaving his army rested and near a railroad, and send his river fleet to block the passages between Louisville and Nashville. So Jackson was "trapped" in Kentucky and Nashville was vulnerable.

The next turn Grant attacked Nashville via railroad movement and took the city.

[ATTACH]32815[/ATTACH]

With Grant at Nashville and having expensed his ammunition taking Louisville, Jackson's position was untenable and I ordered another withdrawal. So my control of Louisville was short.

Here is the situation in Tennessee at turn 30.

[ATTACH]32820[/ATTACH]

Elsewhere, things were not better for the confederation.
Attachments
Situation TN II.jpg
Nashville.png
Situation Virginie II.jpg
Winchester.png

Seraphim
Corporal

AAR Skibear vs Seraphim part 4 (end)

Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:40 pm

In an daring move, Kearny took the (too) lightly defended Fayetteville AR. I took back the city but not before the depot was destroyed.
With the simultaneous action of Union's partisans who blown up Springfield's depot, all my supply logistic in the zone was in jeopardy.

[ATTACH]32816[/ATTACH]

Skibear redeployed the troops of his failed attack at Mobile against Texas. Three simultaneous divisions size landing ensured Texas fall rapidly.

[ATTACH]32817[/ATTACH]

Last but not least, McDowell landed 3+ divisions near Richmond just in time to ensure he will not suffer a 10NM penalty.

[ATTACH]32818[/ATTACH]

In short, in this 6 turns, Skibear took the upper hand !

Here is the result screen.

[ATTACH]32819[/ATTACH]
Attachments
F9 30.png
Situation Virginie III.jpg
Situation Texas.png
Situation MO.png

Guru94
Corporal

Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:36 am

I am sorry to announce that I will give up the tournament at this point. Time problems became too big to continue playing the game at a moderate speed. :(

havi
Colonel

Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:30 pm

hey guys is this still on? what are we waiting at?

Lindi
General

Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:43 pm

He really leave.

Jim-NC

Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:24 am

I will be setting up the next round shortly.

Update - As Guru94 has pulled out, I used the scores from the last turn completed to determine the winner of the right side of the bracket (CSA side). Drum roll please:

The winner is Lindi with 1562 points. Havi (in a game he inheritied from Liberty Bell) was at 1279 points.

This means that the 4 contestants are:
left side - Skibear and Seraphim
right side - FelixZ and Lindi

Alternate - Havi

I will not be able to be an alternate, as I will be hosting all games for the next round, and it would be unfair for me to step in to a game in progress.
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Seraphim
Corporal

AAR Skibear vs Seraphim part 5

Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:09 pm

This round is over, but I will complete this AAR.
I will post the most interessant events of our game with Skibear regardless of their turn, as the rule of writing only 6 turns by 6 turns is no longer valid.

Here is the next part.

After the fall of Nashville, I managed to save my army in Kentucky and with the ex-garrison of the city I waited for an opportunity to counterattack. Opportunity that didn’t come and a lot of my troops were immobilized without results.

Worse, with Grant guarding Nashville, Rosecrans marched upon Memphis leading to the fall of the city. In short, Skibear outmanoeuvred me a second time in Tennessee...

[ATTACH]33086[/ATTACH]

With Memphis in Union’s hand, Madison and Little Rock quickly fall.
CSA’s forces west of the Mississippi, already in retreat following the destruction of their supplies lines, were forced to abandon Missouri.

[ATTACH]33087[/ATTACH]

Leaving some of his troops finishing the conquest of Texas, Skibear invaded Louisiana and took Baton Rouge, bypassing the well defended New Orleans.

I was obviously in a dire situation, so I ordered a total retreat. With railroad move Johnston’s army arrived at New Orleans before Union cut of the railroad. New Orleans will remain in my possession for all the game.

[ATTACH]33089[/ATTACH]

Similarly, I withdraw my forces to others defensible positions (Chattanooga, Montgomery AL, Fayetteville/Fort Smith) abandoning everything else.

In Florida, Skibear took Tallahassee. With Jacksonville and Pensacola already in his hands, he effectively hold all the state. For now...

[ATTACH]33088[/ATTACH]

The only good thing was that after avoiding the 10 NM penalty to the Union, the troops of McDowell re-embarked ceasing to threaten Richmond. The bad new was those troops went elsewhere, north of Mobile actually. With Grant (and his army of course) marching from Tennessee the city appear doomed.

Well, I’m French, in time like that we quote Marshal Foch during the First Battle of the Marne: " Mon centre cède, ma droite recule. Situation excellente, j'attaque" ("My centre is yielding. My right is retreating. Situation excellent. I am attacking.").

The situation wasn't excellent but I attacked: the recent Union’s advance gave me several opportunities.

First there was the Union’s landing at Tallahassee: half a division isolated...

[ATTACH]33090[/ATTACH]

It may have been only a half division but it’s always a half division less for the Union.

After that, the recently promoted Nathan B. Forrest was sent against Jacksonville and Union’s control of Florida was short lived. For now...

Next time we will see the major part of CSA’s counterattack: Lee’s offensive to retake Tennessee.
Attachments
Tallahassee.png
New Orleans.png
Florida.jpg
Arkansas.jpg
Memphis.png

Ace

Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:57 pm

Nice AAR. It was quite a match, it seems. Looking forward to reading about your rematch.
I didn't had time to continue the tournament, but it is nice to read about ongoing action from time to time :)

Seraphim
Corporal

AAR Skibear vs Seraphim part 6

Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:21 pm

With Grant marching south against Mobile and linking with McDowell landing, USA have muster 6+ divisions against the city. It was too much, so I evacuated Mobile, reinforcing New Orleans...

But without Grant and his troops, Tennessee was vulnerable. And without a direct menace against Richmond I was able to send Lee's army in Tennessee.
But more importantly, Skibear make the mistake of sending most of his force in this state south of Nashville to take control of the important railroads junctions just north of the Tennessee River. So Nashville was too lightly defended when I was still able to railroad-move troops from Chattanooga...

[ATTACH]33099[/ATTACH]

Smith's corps was send as vanguard against Nashville, via railroad move and with order to not engage during travel. It was a success, and the city was retaken. Simultaneously, Lee's main army arrived at Chattanooga for the second phase of the operation.

[ATTACH]33100[/ATTACH]

Vicksburg was also evacuated: with 3000+ points of troops under Grant in the theatre, Vicksburg was as doomed as Mobile. With the help of my river fleet (and my ironclads) I send two divisions north. My first intend was to send them against Saint Louis, again too lightly defended. But Kearny's forces (now 2 divisions) were still at Springfield MO (they didn't moved against Fayetteville AR as expected), so I send my forces east to reinforce Lee's offensive.

I achieved strategic surprise, retaken Nashville, nearly isolated two union's divisions and I had 9 divisions available...

If I had refrained my ambitions, I could have keep the retaken ground. But Union's forces were in disarray and the road to Kentucky was wide open...

And, for the second time, I attacked north...

[ATTACH]33101[/ATTACH]

And, for the second time, Nashville was insufficiently defended when Grant finally arrived...

[ATTACH]33102[/ATTACH]

Actually, Lee with 3 divisions was supposed to reinforce Smith. With 6 divisions against 7 for the Union it could have been a defensive victory. But Lee encountered Union's troops at Hickman TN, just south of Nashville, and ... withdraw without a fight!

Yes, he didn't tried to fight when he could have and let Nashville alone...
I checked my orders but he was in "fight to the end" mode. That didn't prevented him to flee at the first sign of Union's troops...

Honestly, the best CSA's general, with a reputation of attacker.. I could had him shoot by a firing squad but I was too busy withdrawing my troops from Kentucky and Tennessee. Again !

Mobile and Vicksburg, nearly undefended, fell rapidly and the Confederation was cut in two. Actually that was not a major problem as my counteroffensive in Texas demonstrated.

As the remain of Union's forces in Texas were busy taking Austin and San Antonio, I send Watie south with his Indians/cavalry division. This type of division travel fast and the distance between Fort Smith and Houston was done in two turn taking Butler's light garrison by surprise. And Houston was retaken, first step of the reconquest of Texas.

[ATTACH]33103[/ATTACH]

Next time we will see the Union's advance across Alabama, Florida and Georgia.
Attachments
Texas 2.jpg
Nashville 2.png
Situation TN 5.jpg
Situation TN 4.jpg
Situation TN 3.png

Seraphim
Corporal

AAR Skibear vs Seraphim part 7

Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:04 pm

Sorry for the waiting.
I planned to update this AAR once per week but I was busy. Now I will try to finish it before it become too intense in my two games in round 4.

Last time we saw how CSA's counterattack in Tennessee failed. But I also counterattacked in Florida and Texas with better result.

After Watie's reconquest of Houston, Butler gathered his remaining forces in the state and entrenched at Matagorda, only to be crushed here because Watie was reinforced by troops from New Orleans after the liberation of Galveston.

[ATTACH]33208[/ATTACH]

Honestly, I don't know why Skibear didn't evacuated those troops : he had some transports ready (the ships appearing in the battle result) and could have withdraw them elsewhere long before the arrival of my troops. And Johnston's two divisions appearance was not unseen by the Union.

Whatever the reason, after this victory, Union's presence in Texas was nearly eradicated. in the following weeks, Confederate's cavalry liberated San Antonio and Austin. Texas would remain a Confederate State until the end of the game.

In Florida, after the victory of Tallahassee, Jackson arrived at Montgomery. With Grant and his army busy in Tennessee there was an opportunity to strike Pensacola and the Union lost another half division in this surprise attack.

[ATTACH]33209[/ATTACH]

Pensacola, Tallahassee and Jacksonville again in my hands, Florida was also back as a Confederate State. But this was really short lived...

After his victory in Tennessee, Skibear send south all of Grant's army. With the remaining Union's troops in the area he constituted a grand army with Grant in command and with Sherman, Lyon and Kearny (among others generals).

Pensacola was evacuated and fell again to the Union.

[ATTACH]33210[/ATTACH]

Then Skibear concentrated all his grand army and took Montgomery.

[ATTACH]33211[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Montgomery.png
Alabama.jpg
Pensacola.png
Matagorda.png

Seraphim
Corporal

AAR Skibear vs Seraphim part 7 (end)

Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:12 pm

Jackson's saved his army but Grant had too much forces. Worse Meade landed 3 new divisions at Tallahassee, retook the city and linked with Grant near Atlanta.

[ATTACH]33213[/ATTACH]

With approximately 10 divisions, Jackson may have hold the city but Grant had 13 divisions, twice more combat power, a lot more of canons and began what appeared an encirclement of the city. Moreover, Gilbert's corps with two other divisions from Tennessee was marching south, bypassing Chattanooga...

I choose not to fight what appeared an already lost fight and abandoned Atlanta.

Grant took the city and began his march against Charleston.

[ATTACH]33214[/ATTACH]

Elsewhere New Orleans was still holding. An Union's tentative to seize the forts guarding the Mississippi entrance was stopped by Van Dorn's corps and one Union's division was besieged in the newly conquered Fort Jackson.

[ATTACH]33215[/ATTACH]

In Arizona however, the defender of Tucson finally ran out of supplies. So far, Tucson received (barely) enough supplies from Texas but for unknown reason the supplies flow diminished. Weakened, the most westerns defenders of the Confederation were vanquished.

[ATTACH]33216[/ATTACH]

Next time we will see... The fall of Richmond !
Attachments
Tucson II.png
New Orleans 2.png
Atlanta 2.jpg
Atlanta.png
Alabama et Floride.png

Seraphim
Corporal

AAR Skibear vs Seraphim part 7 (end)

Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:19 pm

Jackson's saved his army but Grant had too much forces. Worse Meade landed 3 new divisions at Tallahassee, retook the city and linked with Grant near Atlanta.

[ATTACH]33217[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]33218[/ATTACH]

With approximately 10 divisions, Jackson may have hold the city but Grant had 13 divisions, twice more combat power, a lot more of canons and began what appeared an encirclement of the city. Moreover, Gilbert's corps with two other divisions from Tennessee was marching south, bypassing Chattanooga...

I choose not to fight what appeared an already lost fight and abandoned Atlanta.

Grant took the city and began his march against Charleston.

[ATTACH]33219[/ATTACH]

Elsewhere New Orleans was still holding. An Union's tentative to seize the forts guarding the Mississippi entrance was stopped by Van Dorn's corps and one Union's division was besieged in the newly conquered Fort Jackson.

[ATTACH]33220[/ATTACH]

In Arizona however, the defender of Tucson finally ran out of supplies. So far, Tucson received (barely) enough supplies from Texas but for unknown reason the supplies flow diminished. Weakened, the most westerns defenders of the Confederation were vanquished.

[ATTACH]33221[/ATTACH]

Next time we will see... The fall of Richmond !
Attachments
Tucson II.png
New Orleans 2.png
Atlanta 2.jpg
Atlanta.png
Alabama et Floride.png

Seraphim
Corporal

AAR Skibear vs Seraphim part 8

Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:40 pm

It was my fault !

Confederation was collapsing and Skibear's armies were now much stronger than mine.

I evacuated North Virginia : I couldn't have hold it with the troops I had.

[ATTACH]33246[/ATTACH]

Remaining troops in Virginia were allocated in two army : Longstreet' army for the defense of Richmond, Lee's army as mobile force, mostly stationed at Henrico VA. I really should have made only one army, this could had allowed Lee to march to the sound of the guns and help Longstreet.

But I assumed Richmond will be safe with Longstreet in command of a large force in defensive position. And I gave him 5 full divisions, more than 180 canons and 44k men, entrenched in level 6 position. I thought this would keep Richmond safe...

I was wrong !

[ATTACH]33247[/ATTACH]

The CSA's casualties you see are the men of Richmond's garrison, who were still inside the fortifications. Longstreet's army did not fight.

[ATTACH]33248[/ATTACH]

Yes : Longstreet fled with all his army, abandoning Richmond !

The same turn, Grant entered in Atlanta (previously evacuated) and the ultimate CSA's offensive in Tennessee failed (in Mississippi actually).

Forrest was send in the Union's rear to disrupt their movements and supplies. And the lose of Atlanta could have been compensated by the retaking of Memphis. But Forrest was too slow and Union's force manage to gather at Corinth before his arrival.

[ATTACH]33249[/ATTACH]

Minus 54 NM in one turn, Richmond and Atlanta lost, Forrest's corps isolated in enemy territory and low on supplies, two enormous Union's armies (one in the north marching south and one in the south marching north) marching against what remained of the Confederation in the East (mostly North and South Carolina). There was no point in executing anyone for failure anymore...

Game over ? Well, I was actually glad I only had a few turns to play...
I managed to save Forrest's troops : they dodged Union's troops and reached New Orleans. They were send to Fort Jackson where the siege was in a deadlock.

[ATTACH]33250[/ATTACH]
Attachments
New Orleans 3.png
Corinth.png
Richmond 4.png
Richmond 3.png
Richmond 2.jpg

Seraphim
Corporal

AAR Skibear vs Seraphim part 8 (end)

Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:46 pm

I also sent Stuart in Florida with his cavalry division. They managed to retake parts of the state, including Tallahassee. Yes, this city saw a lot of action during this civil war...

[ATTACH]33251[/ATTACH]

In the East, I concentrated all the troops at two locations. The Confederation last stand will take place at Charleston and Wilmington.

After a lot of fighting (3 battles), Lee's army was finally defeated at Charleston.

[ATTACH]33252[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]33253[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]33254[/ATTACH]

But Beauregard's corps was still in the province at the end of the turn and the city hadn't be conquered.

As Lee began his search for a Court House or even a Courthouse for surrendering, Beauregard and his troops entered Charleston, ready to die for the South.

I add the scores and objectives screen for this 55th turn, for comparison purpose with my next post.

[ATTACH]33255[/ATTACH]

Next time we will see... The last turn !
Attachments
F9 55.png
Charleston 3.png
Charleston 2.png
Charleston.png
Florida 2.jpg

Seraphim
Corporal

AAR Skibear vs Seraphim final part

Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:15 pm

In AACW tournaments games, the last turn generally saw some last efforts and huge battles. I hereby confirm that fact...

According to my calculation, during the last turn of our game with Skibear :
 CSA gained 5 NM, USA lose 9 MN
 CSA gained 114 PV, USA gained 269 PV
 CSA suffered more than 42k casualties and took 17600 new prisoners
 USA suffered more than 56k casualties but took 25000 new prisoners

Yes : nearly 100k casualties and more than 42k prisoners in 15 days.

We are way behind the casualties rates of the first world war but that was bloody.

There was 19 battles this turn, ranging from skirmishes to the Charleston's onslaught.

Speaking of Charleston, Beauregard's men were wiped out. There were doomed but they fought bravely and they did not die alone...

[ATTACH]33277[/ATTACH]

Jackson was defeated at Wilmington.

[ATTACH]33279[/ATTACH]

Griffin's men were send to take the forts guarding the Mississippi entrance. The conquered Ft Jackson became their grave.

[ATTACH]33280[/ATTACH]

Even in the Far West, fighting take place.

[ATTACH]33281[/ATTACH]

CSA succumbed in a blaze of glory.

[ATTACH]33282[/ATTACH]

Epilogue :
In late July 1863 Lee surrendered to Grant at the courthouse of Camden SC. Soon after all the remaining Confederate's forces surrendered as well. The most important one was Joseph E. Johnston's army at New Orleans. The last one was Hindman's troop at El Paso.

The end.
Attachments
F9 56.png
West Sierra.png
Ft Jackson.png
Wilmington.png
Charleston 4.png

Return to “PBEM and multiplayer matchups (all games)”