rickd79
Colonel

William Mahone

Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:40 pm

William Mahone:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Mahone

215 CSA William Mahone ldr_CSA_Mahone NULL NULL NULL NULL 5 5 1 41 General 1 NULL 4 1 2

1. I like the stats....nothing particulary outstanding here....he didn't ascend to division command until the end of the war....2 for "defense" is a nice salute to his work at the Battle of the Crater during the Siege of Pertersburg.

2. You can give Mahone the nickname of "Little Billy" - he was short and weighed about 100 lb's soaking wet.

Korrigan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:53 pm

215 CSA William Mahone ldr_CSA_Mahone $Deceiver NULL NULL NULL 5 5 1 41 General 1 NULL 3 1 2 Little Billy
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." Mark Twain

rickd79
Colonel

Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:24 pm

Is there a particular reason for the "deceiver" trait, or is this just a random assignment to give him a little more flavor? If that is the case, "reckless" would probably be more appropriate to describe Mahone's pugnacious attitude.
I just pulled this quote out of the Time-Life "Death in the Trenches: Grant at Petersburg" book:
"Whenever Mahone moves out," an admirer remarked, "someone is apt to be hurt."
I don't see Mahone as being that "tricky"...he's more of a "smack-you right in the face" kind of fighter.

Korrigan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:31 pm

After Virginia seceded from the Union in April 1861, Mahone helped bluff the Federal troops into abandoning the Gosport Shipyard in Portsmouth by running a single passenger train into Norfolk with great noise and whistle-blowing, then much more quietly, sending it back west, and then returning the same train again, creating the illusion of large numbers of arriving troops to the Federals listening in Portsmouth across the Elizabeth River (and just barely out of sight). The ruse worked, and not a single Confederate soldier was lost as the Union authorities abandoned the area, and retreated to Fort Monroe across Hampton Roads
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." Mark Twain

rickd79
Colonel

Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:31 pm

Nevermind, I think I just answered my own question by re-reading the wikipedia entry....I suppose you were referring to the Railroad incident around Portsmouth in 1861.

Return to “Officers room”