rickd79
Colonel

William D. Pender

Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:34 pm

William D. Pender:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_D._Pender

161 CSA William D. Pender ldr_CSA_Pender2 NULL NULL NULL NULL 6 5 2 18 General 1 NULL 5 3 3
207 CSA William D. Pender ldr_CSA_Pender NULL NULL NULL NULL 1 1 1 34 General 1 NULL 5 3 3

1. Based on my reading, it seems like everyone referred to Pender by his middle name, "Dorsey"....you might want to use that in the new "flavor" nickname trait.
2. Pender was known to be very agressive in brigade command. He took over division command at Chancellorsville once A.P. Hill was hurt. In his first and only official battle as a division commander, he directed a bruising assault on Day 1 at Gettysburg. On Day 2 he was wounded in the leg...an injury that would eventually lead to his death. His men were scheduled to join the attack after R.H. Anderson's division went in...however, Anderson had trouble getting his last couple brigades committed. Some historians suggest that if Pender had not been injured, he would have thrown some more brigades into the assualt on Cemetary Ridge....with or without Anderson's full division going in first.
3. I would suggest the following ratings:
Division: 4/4/2 (Good on the attack...no realevidence to support how he would have done on the defensive, other than the fact that everyone thought highly of him)
Corps: 3/4/2 (He didn't live to command a Corps...although Lee suggested he would have been good at this level...maybe drop the strategic a point? Any other suggestions?)
4. Maybe he should get the "reckless" trait to signify the agressiveness he is remembered for? Maybe the "fast_move" trait as a division commander? After all, as a brigade commander he was an understudy of A.P. Hill in the "Light Division." Or maybe I'm going to far. Any thoughts?

Chris0827
General

Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:31 pm

Fast move works for him. his troops were among those that arrived in the nick of time to save the army at Antietam. I have an idea for a new ability. Leads from the front. A general with this ability would get a better performance from his men but stand a greater risk of being killed or wounded. This fits Pender. He had been wounded in four battles prior to the wound at Gettysburg that killed him.

frank7350
Brigadier General

Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:02 pm

works for me as well...

adding new abilities, huh? geez..we still have to find takers for the pontoon and balloon traits!!! ;)

Chris0827
General

Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:32 pm

[quote="frank7350"]works for me as well...

adding new abilities, huh? geez..we still have to find takers for the pontoon and balloon traits!!! ]

I think pontooner and balloon are abilities more suited to units than generals. Pontoon use was very common and I can't think of any general who was better at it than others. After Gettysburg the confederate pontoons were destroyed by union cavalry but a confederate major rebuilt them by using material from abandoned houses. Apart from that the use of pontoons was routine.

frank7350
Brigadier General

Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:37 pm

agreed... posted a new thread about the possiblities with a balloon unit- not sure if its workable given the time constrains, or that it would play well re game balancing but we'll see what korrigan, pocus and phil say.

Korrigan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:43 pm

Have a closer look on Barney's AAR, and you'll see that yours dreams have come true...
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." Mark Twain

Korrigan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:46 pm

161 CSA William D. Pender ldr_CSA_Pender2 $Fast_Mover NULL NULL NULL 6 5 2 18 General 1 NULL 3 4 2 Dorsay
207 CSA William D. Pender ldr_CSA_Pender $Fast_Mover NULL NULL NULL 1 1 1 34 General 1 NULL 4 4 2 Dorsay
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." Mark Twain

rickd79
Colonel

Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:48 pm

Pender's nickname should be "Dorsey"...not "Dorsay"

Korrigan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:54 pm

fixed, thanks

Return to “Officers room”