rickd79
Colonel

Benjamin F. Cheatham

Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:54 pm

Benjamin F. Cheatham:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benjamin_F._Cheatham

160 CSA Benjamin F. Cheatham ldr_CSA_Cheatham2 NULL NULL NULL NULL 7 5 2 17 General 1 NULL 4 3 3
188 CSA Benjamin F. Cheatham ldr_CSA_Cheatham NULL NULL NULL NULL 2 2 1 15 General 1 NULL 4 3 3

A bit of an up and down career....
Shiloh - Tough to criticize one way or the other here, considering nobody really knew what they were doing at this point in the war.
Perryville - Cheatham's division has a good day.. see this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Perryville
Stone's River - Not Cheatham's best day...he orders uncoordinated assaults...witnesses claim he's drunk.
Chickamauga - Tough to criticize one way or the other...this battle was a confused mess of uncoordinated attacks and misinterpreted orders.
Missionary Ridge - The whole army is steamrolled...I don't think Cheatham gets much of the blame here.
Kennesaw Mountain - Cheatham is good on the defensive here.
Atlanta Battles - Cheatham is pretty solid here
Franklin/Nashville - Cheatham drops the ball at Spring Hill and Schofield slips away.

I don't have much of a problem with the ratings, although I think he deserves to be dropped a bit in the "strategic" department.
Maybe 3/3/3 (he seems to have had some successes both offensively and defensively, so I'm OK with the 3's there, but 2's would also seem appropriate)
Any thoughts?

Chris0827
General

Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:14 pm

Hood blamed him for Spring Hill but Hood blamed everything that went wrong on someone else. A court cleared him of all charges.I'm not saying he was blameless but Hood deserved most of the blame. He wasn't at Chattanooga. How about 4|3|3 as a division commander and 3|2|3 as a corps commander?

Korrigan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:43 pm

160 CSA Benjamin F. Cheatham ldr_CSA_Cheatham2 NULL NULL NULL NULL 7 5 2 17 General 1 NULL 3 3 3
188 CSA Benjamin F. Cheatham ldr_CSA_Cheatham NULL NULL NULL NULL 2 2 1 15 General 1 NULL 3 3 3
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." Mark Twain

Return to “Officers room”