Pocus

Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:17 pm

135 CSA P.G.T. Beauregard ldr_CSA_Beauregard3 NULL NULL NULL NULL 15 50 3 2 General 1 NULL 5 1 3

I would be interested by a discussion on Pierre Beauregard, a well-known, controversial leader but with some success under his belt...

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Spharv2

Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:26 pm

Well, he was in the Engineers, and worked very well with artillery, he could qualify for both of those bonuses. Definitely did not play well with others, his brief times with AS Johnston and JE Johnston were the brief exceptions, the only times where he willingly subordinated himself and did not complain about it. He also failed to get along with Jefferson Davis.

Tactically, in the battles he actually participated, he did relatively well, notably in his defense of Petersburg late in the war. One of the few times Lee was caught on the wrong foot, he was saved by the quick action of Beauregard.

He was another of those generals, similar to AP Hill, who could be effective, but was rarely in the field due to illness. He was defensive minded for the most part. I might raise that one. He should definitely get the fort defender skill, his defense of Charleston during the middle of the war was really the high point of his career.

Chris0827
General

Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:49 pm

Spharv2 wrote:Well, he was in the Engineers, and worked very well with artillery, he could qualify for both of those bonuses. Definitely did not play well with others, his brief times with AS Johnston and JE Johnston were the brief exceptions, the only times where he willingly subordinated himself and did not complain about it. He also failed to get along with Jefferson Davis.

Tactically, in the battles he actually participated, he did relatively well, notably in his defense of Petersburg late in the war. One of the few times Lee was caught on the wrong foot, he was saved by the quick action of Beauregard.

He was another of those generals, similar to AP Hill, who could be effective, but was rarely in the field due to illness. He was defensive minded for the most part. I might raise that one. He should definitely get the fort defender skill, his defense of Charleston during the middle of the war was really the high point of his career.

I agree. He was a good but not great general. He could've done more but did not get along with President Davis.

I'd suggest Strategic 4, offensive 3, defensive 4 with fort defender and engineer.

Korrigan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:27 am

135 CSA P.G.T. Beauregard ldr_CSA_Beauregard3 $Engineer NULL NULL NULL 15 50 3 2 General 1 NULL 4 3 4

I believe we don't have available abilities that simulate leaders having problems when being subordinated.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." Mark Twain

Korrigan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:31 am

For a discussion about Beauregard, refer here.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." Mark Twain

runyan99

Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:44 am

Korrigan's stats seem pretty good.

I'd consider giving Beauregard the new Deciever trait. His army at Manassas employed some of the first 'Quaker Guns', and he also made a brilliant deception at Corinth, using all kinds of methods to fool Halleck into thinking his force was much larger than it was, or that he was about to attack, when he really was preparing a retreat. Halleck's entire army was totally fooled.

cbclimber
Conscript

Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:57 am

Deciever definately (Corinth). A pretty good manouver, his troops liked him very much. His mouth (or pen rather) got him into trouble when he didnt have a command. Did pretty well at Bull Run, kept his cool after ASJohnson was killed at Shiloh.

Korrigan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:59 pm

New proposition:

135 CSA P.G.T. Beauregard ldr_CSA_Beauregard3 $Deceiver $Fort_Defender NULL NULL 15 50 3 2 General 1 NULL 4 2 4

Return to “Officers room”