Tordenskjold
Sergeant

Which general counts?

Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:46 pm

When an Army are organized into Corps containing a number of divisions, which officer counts during battle?
For instance the Army general might have 1-1-2 skill, Corps general 3-1-1 and the division general 5-4-3.

1. In what way does the lover Corps and Division generals skills counts i battle and movement? In the battle resolution screen only the highest general seems to be taken into account.

2. And, in what way does the active not active status for a lower general influence, if in anyway at all? (I suppose that the Army general is active in this example).

soloswolf
General of the Army

Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:02 pm

Divisionals affect their division, corps affect their corps (and the divisions therin) and Army commanders give bonuses to their corps commanders and any troops directly under them.

Inactive (I believe) only affects offensive actions.
My name is Aaron.

Knight of New Hampshire

Tordenskjold
Sergeant

Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:34 pm

soloswolf wrote:Divisionals affect their division, corps affect their corps (and the divisions therin) and Army commanders give bonuses to their corps commanders and any troops directly under them.

Inactive (I believe) only affects offensive actions.

Thanks, about question 1. how do you know? Is this written anywhere?

About question 2, is this a pure guess? If you are right theres even more things to worry about...

soloswolf
General of the Army

Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:01 am

1) Yes, there are many threads that will be able to give you percentages, etc.

2) (No faith, huh? ;) ) I am 99% sure that you can defend fine, but movement and offense are reduced. (I believe the extent of these reductions are partially determined by the option at the beginning of your game) You can get around this slightly by going into enemy territory, as that forces you into offensive stance, but I know you get a penalty.
My name is Aaron.

Knight of New Hampshire

Pocus

Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:13 am

You get a penalty equals to what you are missing in military control with a 35% maximum, even in defence. So be sure to use unactivated generals only in secured regions.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Tordenskjold
Sergeant

Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:39 pm

Thanks a lot everyone. So to sum this up:

Every general counts in the hierarky, but to which extent is not clarified but might be found in other treads, right? Hints about where, is most welcome?

When attacking into an area where on does not have military controll, every force with an unactive general gets a penalty equal to the % lack of controll, right? If the enemy control is 95% a division with an unactivated general gets 35% penalty ("not in command" is probably the right phrase) since 35% is the maximum penalty. If the enemy controls 5% one actualy get a 5% penalty. Right?

And this happens even if the Corps commander the division belongs to is active?

Coregonas
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:02 pm

Corps commander adds +5% to the entire stack for every skill level he has.

Division / brigade commander add +3% to all elements in his unit.

So an element inside a division (leader 3-4-1) in a 5-4-1 Corps leader with no CP maluses gets a + 32% attacking and a +8% defending.

If a 10% CP malus not sure but it would be something like +22% and -2%

Sure it is not exactly that way because there are lots of values involved, but I count always this way.

Coregonas
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:06 pm

Pocus wrote:You get a penalty equals to what you are missing in military control with a 35% maximum, even in defence. So be sure to use unactivated generals only in secured regions.

even in defence? :8o:

Tordenskjold
Sergeant

Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:18 pm

Coregonas wrote:Corps commander adds +5% to the entire stack for every skill level he has.

Division / brigade commander add +3% to all elements in his unit.

So an element inside a division (leader 3-4-1) in a 5-4-1 Corps leader with no CP maluses gets a + 32% attacking and a +8% defending.

If a 10% CP malus not sure but it would be something like +22% and -2%

Sure it is not exactly that way because there are lots of values involved, but I count always this way.

Wow, complicated. Don't know if I understood this entirely but it sure means that every officer counts!
Do you assume that all generals are active in your example?

Skibear
Lieutenant

Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:20 pm

Makes sense. An in-active commander in defense will be less likely to send out patrols, post effective pickets, and ensure his troops prepare themselves effectively. In in-efficient commander can be just as bad in defense as in attack. Think first day of shiloh when the union were totally offguard and fought at a big disadvantage until Grant got his act together.
"Stay low, move fast"

arsan

Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:03 pm

Coregonas wrote:even in defence? :8o:

Yes also in defense...BUT only on enemy controlled regions.
An inactive commander defends normaly in his own regions if i´m not mistaken :siffle:
Regards

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”