Coldsteel
Sergeant

How long for delivery

Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:54 am

Just wondering, I live in Missouri and I ordered this game about 2 weeks ago. . . just wondering if anyone else who has bought it can tell me about how long it took to receive the game?

Thanks

Primasprit

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:06 am

Hi Coldsteel!

I saw you posted the same question in the Matrix forum. Did you order from Matrix or directly from Ageod?

Cheers
Norbert

struckat
Civilian

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:34 am

I orded directly from Ageod and it took about 3 weeks, Paris to Chicago.

Coldsteel
Sergeant

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:46 am

I ordered it directly from the AGEOD website. . . . thanks for the update guys. . . 3 weeks huh. . . . darn, I was hoping to get it this weekend.

I can't wait! I decided on this one over the Forge of Freedom. . . hope I choose right!

PhilThib

Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:17 am

In order to keep the shipping cost affordable, we use the French and US postal services...so 2 to 3 weeks is rather standard. It usually takes 2-3 days for the parcel to leave France, then US Mail takes over and the time really depends on where you live in America, larger cities getting parcel first usually :indien:

Coldsteel
Sergeant

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:05 pm

PhilThib wrote:In order to keep the shipping cost affordable, we use the French and US postal services...so 2 to 3 weeks is rather standard. It usually takes 2-3 days for the parcel to leave France, then US Mail takes over and the time really depends on where you live in America, larger cities getting parcel first usually :indien:

Great, thanks for the information!

Ian Coote
Major

Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:28 pm

Coldsteel,you definitively made the right choice.

Coldsteel
Sergeant

Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:07 am

Ian Coote wrote:Coldsteel,you definitively made the right choice.

Cool, each day I get home from work hoping it will be here, , , , , still no luck today. . . . there's always tomorrow. . . . so for now, it's back to the battleground cw series.

Ian Coote
Major

Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:48 am

coldsteel ,the battleground games are really good,but have you tried the Mad Minute games Take Command Second Manassas.There's some great mods available that add Antietam,Chickamauga and Fredricksburg to the original game.Just as Ageods game is by far the best stratigic game on the civil war,I would say Take Command Second Manassas is the best tactical game out there.

Philippe
AGEod Veteran

Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:26 am

Take Command does for the Civil War what Combat Mission does for WW II: unrivaled excellence in tactical level combat.

There is a lot of potential scope in the Tiller games, but you need to find a human opponent to play the Civil War campaigns: the AI is more or less incompetant.

As an old-time board wargamer I thought I could get around this problem by playing myself head-to-head, but that kills the fog of war and makes strategic surprises close to impossible, even if you're very forgetful.

Still, the enormous size of some of his maps make them very seductive, but I wonder if the games do a very good job of representing operational issues. When you get away from the tactical level (which Take Command does a far better and exciting job of simulating) you start to get the impression with Tiller that all they did was to make the maps really big -- they didn't do much to the game engine to reflect logistics or attrition. I suspect that the dynamic campaigns with the branching decision trees come a bit closer to simulating the larger scale issues, but they do this by sweeping a lot of details under the rug.

I still remember my dissapointment when I started playing the Seven Days campaign as the Confederates and noticed that the Union troops kept losing their artillery train because they would advance down a road through a forest with no scouts and limbered guns at the head of their columns. Then I played the Atlanta Campaign as the Union and noticed that the AI didn't have a clue about what to do with its artillery on defense.

That kind of thing doesn't happen with the Take Command series.

Coldsteel
Sergeant

Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:08 am

Ian Coote wrote:coldsteel ,the battleground games are really good,but have you tried the Mad Minute games Take Command Second Manassas.There's some great mods available that add Antietam,Chickamauga and Fredricksburg to the original game.Just as Ageods game is by far the best stratigic game on the civil war,I would say Take Command Second Manassas is the best tactical game out there.

Cool, thanks a lot. . . I have not heard of the "take command" game. . . but then again. . I don't get quite the time on the computer that I used to be used too. . . you know, wife and kid now :bonk:
I might have to check that out!

Pocus

Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:05 am

Coldsteel, if you can download 800 MB and provide me with your order references, I can give you the digital version of the game while you wait for the box: [email="support@ageod.com"]support@ageod.com[/email]

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Chamberlain
Captain

Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:08 pm

Coldsteel wrote:Cool, thanks a lot. . . I have not heard of the "take command" game. . . but then again. . I don't get quite the time on the computer that I used to be used too. . . you know, wife and kid now :bonk:
I might have to check that out!

Coldsteel, here is the link to Take Command 2nd Manassas :

http://www.madminutegames.com/

Check it out, and yes, you can have both games (I do) on your computer.

:) :)

Chamberlain

Philippe
AGEod Veteran

Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:36 pm

There's a small but reliable company in Florida that specializes in naval simulations that can not only get you a copy of 2nd Manassas, but can probably find you a relatively inexpensive (and probably slightly used) copy of 1rst Bull Run, which is hard to find because it is hopelessly out of print. I'm reluctant to mention their name because I don't remember what the policy is on that kind of thing on this site.

Ian Coote
Major

Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:01 pm

I would say with the add on's of mods and scenarios to 2nd Manassas of Bull Run, that you probably don't need the original game Bull Run Take Command:1861

Philippe
AGEod Veteran

Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:09 pm

I'm embarassed to say I haven't played either game with mods. 2nd Manassas is much more sophisticated to look at than 1rst Bull Run, but 1rst Bull Run is a lot of fun to play and is great for learning the system. After you've played 2nd Manassas, though, I would imagine that it would be pretty hard to go back.

By the way, does anyone happen to know if there was any snow on the ground during the battle of Fredericksburg?

arsan

Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:21 pm

Philippe wrote:I'm embarassed to say I haven't played either game with mods. 2nd Manassas is much more sophisticated to look at than 1rst Bull Run, but 1rst Bull Run is a lot of fun to play and is great for learning the system. After you've played 2nd Manassas, though, I would imagine that it would be pretty hard to go back.

By the way, does anyone happen to know if there was any snow on the ground during the battle of Fredericksburg?

There wasn´t snow on Gods & Generals movie depictment of the battle...
But i'm not sure if this is a good historical source... :siffle: :niark:
The film was mighty boring so one could hope that at least they should had done their historical research right... :niark:
Are you trying the new TC2M Fredericksburg mod?? :sourcil:
Cheers!

Jojo le Gouffy
Captain

Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:30 pm

No snow on the ground at Fredericksburg (10-11 december 1862)
Source: Osprey Campaign Series n° 63

Philippe
AGEod Veteran

Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:40 pm

I didn't want to install it unless I was sure it was accurate. Ground conditions have a big impact on tactical actions, and it's not merely a question of visuals.

I've seen a contemporary print of troops milling around one of the buildings near Marye's Heights within a few weeks of the battle (pretty sure it was the same year) and the ground clearly had snow on it. I haven't read any contemporary accounts of the battle, but that (or a discussion of ground conditions by a reputable historian like Shelby Foote) is what you would need to establish something like that. Having said that, the snow may have fallen after the battle (or I was in a hurry when I was looking at the print and got the year of the print and the battle mixed up). There used to be an old wives tale that battles provoked rainfall...

Movies tend to have visuals that the producers think will please their audience, and they test (and subsequently rewrite and reshoot) their product with focus groups to make sure they have the formula right. They have to do this because there's too much money at stake, and they can't afford the commerical risk (or so they think). Truth is the first casualty of war, and historical accuracy is usually the first casualty of commercial film-making.

Philippe
AGEod Veteran

Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:41 pm

Osprey's a pretty good source. What's the quote, exactly?

Ian Coote
Major

Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:55 pm

They have a section on mods on their forum.Antietam Chickamauga and Fredricksburg have seperate downloads of Maps for the battles with scenarios,it takes the game to a whole new level,highley recommended.The only problem I had, was that for me anyway there not the easiest mods to install,but if you have a problem there's a great bunch of guys on their forum that will help you out.As far as snow on the Fredricksburg Battlefield Photographs taken shortly after the battle do appear to show patches of snow on the ground.

Ian Coote
Major

Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:41 pm

On rechecking my copy of O'Reilly's book The Fredericksburg Campaign he says at the start of chapter six.Fog blanketed Fredericksburg again on December 13,promising another day of unseasonable warmth.The weather observer in Georgetown recorded the temperrature as thirty four degrees at 7:am.By 2:00pm,the mercury rose to nearly sixty degrees.Frost on the battlefield quickly gave way to mud.

Jojo le Gouffy
Captain

Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:44 pm

a) no mention of snow in the text pp31 to 87 ( the two days battle)
b) no snow on photographs taken during this time
c) no snow on drawings and battlefield maps.
only freezed ground and freezed grass
page 6 the autor notices (en français souligne) the wide swings of temperature in Virginia

Et j'espère que mon anglais est correct

Philippe
AGEod Veteran

Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:17 am

Ce n'est pas vraiment necessaire de traduire -- j'ai l'impression qu'on peut parler en francais ici.

Coldsteel
Sergeant

Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:53 am

It's kind of cool how this thread took off!

Pocus, I emailed you my info, hope it helps. . . thanks for doing that for me in advance!

Steve

Pocus

Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:22 pm

Reply sent :)

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Jojo le Gouffy
Captain

Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:46 pm

Super en français c'est plus simple.
Et j'aime le gag de deux francophones qui parlent anglais pour mieux se comprendre. :nuts:
Donc pas de neige à Fredericksburg le jour de la bataille.
Cela ne veut pas dire qu'il n'y en a pas eu durant la campagne entière et la phase d'approche mais de la à précider quels jours, c'est difficile

Pocus

Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:07 pm

Je parle à Coldsteel :)

Jojo le Gouffy
Captain

Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:53 pm

Je sais.
Je parlais à Philippe

Coldsteel
Sergeant

Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:10 am

3 weeks today. . . .still no game. . . . . . darn U.S.mail. . . .

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”