Guru80
Colonel

Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:35 am

Good questions Jagger but I am betting there is no way to calculate precisely the effects of weather, mud, snow, ect... since I am sure there is a randomness built into it.

It would make decisions a lot easier in certian circumstances if we knew how to approximately determine the probability of getting our supplies. Hopefully we can get a breakdown of the whole thing once NC is out. Hopefully this game continues to get the attention it has received up until now, which I am sure it will. I won't be getting NC for a few weeks at least since I just got this one and am obsessed with it ;)

Jagger
AGEod Grognard

Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:59 am

Guru80 wrote:Good questions Jagger but I am betting there is no way to calculate precisely the effects of weather, mud, snow, ect... since I am sure there is a randomness built into it.

It would make decisions a lot easier in certian circumstances if we knew how to approximately determine the probability of getting our supplies. Hopefully we can get a breakdown of the whole thing once NC is out. Hopefully this game continues to get the attention it has received up until now, which I am sure it will. I won't be getting NC for a few weeks at least since I just got this one and am obsessed with it ;)

Actually if supply moves in the same manner as a supply wagon train, all you have do is plot a wagon train to the supply source and then to the troops needed supply. If the time from the supply source to the troops is less than 15 days and less than 5 regions, then you know they will receive supply. Then you delete the plot of your supply wagon train with the information you need.

But that is assuming that supply uses the same movement calculations as a supply train.

Rafiki

Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:41 am

From further up:
Pocus wrote:The max distance that can be travelled is tied to the travel cost between the 2 points, in movement days for a wagon, and is never farther than 5 regions.

So I'm pretty sure that supply wagon movement is what counts
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

Pocus

Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:27 am

it moves as a supply wagon, but get more than 15 days to reach its destination though, that's why I prefer to speak of an allowance of x travel ticks and not x travel days.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Hobbes

Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:03 pm

A quick question on this thread. If I buy a supply wagon will it arrive with supply or will it arrive empty?

Cheers, Chris

Le Ricain

Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:53 pm

Hobbes wrote:A quick question on this thread. If I buy a supply wagon will it arrive with supply or will it arrive empty?

Cheers, Chris

With supply.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'Nous voilà, Lafayette'

Colonel C.E. Stanton, aide to A.E.F. commander John 'Black Jack' Pershing, upon the landing of the first US troops in France 1917

Guru80
Colonel

Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:03 pm

As Le Ricain said, all supply wagons bought arrive fully supplied.

Hobbes

Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:10 pm

Many thanks, I will have to buy a few then!

Guru80
Colonel

Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:15 pm

Hobbes wrote:Many thanks, I will have to buy a few then!

I don't know how you have gone this long never having bought some! I started purchasing them after running out of supply during a battle...wasn't a good experience! Also had the issue of running out of supply while campaigning and having to march 2 turns back to supply..another devastating result

Mangudai
Lieutenant

Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:44 am

Do river transport ships have a role in supply?

I've been playing as if river transports could pass supply to units in an adjacent region. But, I'm not sure if this accomplishes anything.

Rafiki

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:39 am

I think they can provide supply in much the same way as supply wagons, and also act as "supply magnets", but I wouldn't bet any large sums of money on it.

Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Hobbes

Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:01 am

Guru80 wrote:I don't know how you have gone this long never having bought some! I started purchasing them after running out of supply during a battle...wasn't a good experience! Also had the issue of running out of supply while campaigning and having to march 2 turns back to supply..another devastating result

I have bought some in the past but couldn't remember if they came with supplies or had to fill from a town.

GShock

Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:08 am

Hobbes wrote:I have bought some in the past but couldn't remember if they came with supplies or had to fill from a town.

I've questioned many times the real usefulness of river units and especially the river transports. I don't know if they can act as magnet because they are on water...what they have in common with supply wagons is the fact they can build depots once they enter in port.

The usefulness of these units is severely limited by the fact you can actually move units via rivers without having to use transports at all.

Seems to me you can't bombard with gunboats, and you can bombard with ironclads only when in support of landing units (which is, transported by river transports which are seldom used) at least that's what pocus said.

With such limited resources, CSA can't invest in river units given these shortcomings. Yes, you can intercept the land units travelling by river...but that goes with the AI and when you can spot them. Yet you may also fail to reach them (likely) and even though i guess gunboats are better than land-units (on rivers) you can't see in your planning phase who's in fog of war. A human would move the units on river...u send gunboats to intercept them and next turn all your gunboats are lost to his gunboats you couldn't see before.

As of the naval units in combat, when attacking a city with boats in port they appear in the roster list of battle though i don't know if thye actually influence combat. Still they only appear for the AI. When the enemy attacks my cities with ships in port they don't appear...a bit confusing (again) :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
We ain't going down!

Pocus

Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:11 am

For all practical purposes a transport ship is considered as a supply wagon. This includes creating a depot if anchored, and it will attract supplies too ... but only during the segment you can move supply by river, unless you have it in an harbor.

Transports counter are also great to move troops in synch with naval combat units, you just can't do that with riverine move.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Aurelin
Colonel

Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:37 am

GShock wrote:I've questioned many times the real usefulness of river units and especially the river transports. I don't know if they can act as magnet because they are on water...what they have in common with supply wagons is the fact they can build depots once they enter in port.

The usefulness of these units is severely limited by the fact you can actually move units via rivers without having to use transports at all.

But don't forts/gunboats block that?

Rafiki

Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:46 am

Aurelin wrote:But don't forts/gunboats block that?

Not the movement of units in this manner, but the units will be quite undefended and vulnerable to getting blown out of the water.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

GShock

Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:17 pm

Aurelin wrote:But don't forts/gunboats block that?

Gunboats can block river harbors if the right number of elements is stationed in their water zone. They block movement from armies across rivers as well but if there's a single gunboat in the same area your gunboats are stationed then those waters are contested and armies of both sides may pass.

That's what i think i understood so far. :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We ain't going down!

KillCalvalry
Lieutenant

Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:38 pm

Transports should always be your first choice to build a supply depot. Look at the cost: One unit at 10-2-5 or whatever it is exactly, vs. 2 units at 25-20-12 or whatever wagons are (I forget). You save 38 conscripts by using a transport instead of 2 wagons, that is an entire Brigade! Very huge!

Never build a depot with Wagons, if the hex has a port.

Also, I don't believe transports can give units supply, unless they are docked in the same hex as the ground units. Then, they are like wagons. But ground units cannot draw supply from a transport anchored out in the river.

Gray_Lensman

Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:06 pm

deleted

Hobbes

Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:48 pm

Gray_Lensman wrote:Is this confirmed?

I thought a transport had to be in an adjacent region to give supply to ground troops.

Pocus

Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:58 pm

transports should be able to send supply to coastal troops.

Joseignacio
Sergeant

Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:49 am

Pocus wrote:transports should be able to send supply to coastal troops.

Riverine didn't to me in 1.07e. I almost had everybody dead in a siege because of this if I recall well. Finally They did when I put them inside. But the supply was not a lot with two transports for a full, unsupplied under minimal levels corps. So I built a depot and it was fine.

Gray_Lensman

Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:06 am

deleted

ANTONYO
Major

Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:26 am

Because the consumption of supplies is greater of the one than it would have to be?. (for example in the pool we have 30000 supplies, we know that our units consume 1000, and that we produce each turn 2000, therefore to the following turn we must have 31000 of provisions, but this is not fulfilled).

There is some rule in the game that causes that pool of supplies gradually decreased through wear and tear?

Any suggestion?

Joseignacio
Sergeant

Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:11 pm

ANTONYO wrote:Because the consumption of supplies is greater of the one than it would have to be?. (for example in the pool we have 30000 supplies, we know that our units consume 1000, and that we produce each turn 2000, therefore to the following turn we must have 31000 of provisions, but this is not fulfilled).

There is some rule in the game that causes that pool of supplies gradually decreased through wear and tear?

Any suggestion?

Raids? Cities taken by the enemy?

ANTONYO
Major

Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:55 pm

No, I have tested with IA deactivated.

willgamer
Lieutenant Colonel

Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:31 pm

Gray_Lensman wrote:Sounds like this is possibly bugged re:transports having to be docked for their supply to work. Could someone with game conditions at that point confirm this one way or another, as it would impact amphibious operations?

Seems like there are a lot of possible cases here to analyze:

1. Structure or none;

2. Structure is sieged or not;

3. Sieger or besieged;

3. Fort or not;

4. Coast or river;

5. Transport docked or not.

6. Control of river or not; etc.....

GShock

Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:12 pm

7. % of blockaded ports
8. % of blockaded shipping
9. % of blockade box
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We ain't going down!

Pocus

Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:48 pm

Yes, if too high at a given place, decay start.

Gray_Lensman

Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:09 pm

deleted

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”