Brannart
Conscript

The only thing I think it needs...

Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:08 pm

Loving this game so far. Very glad to see the American Civil War come back to gaming in such a good way.

If I think the game needs anything at all it would be a simple way to see my command structure. A basic organizational chart would be very handy!

Edit: Sorry! One further thing I considered... the ability to rename armies! :)

GShock

Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:23 pm

There is and it's listed in the manual as well. :) (page 20)

As of renaming armies, the game is designed to be historically accurate. If you could rename the armies like that this would spoil it. Armies take name of leaders or state/location they were built at. :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
We ain't going down!

Brannart
Conscript

Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:30 pm

Well that makes me feel like a dunce! Thank you!

However, I'm currently looking at page 20 and it doesn't seem to mention that to which I am referring. Sorry to be so thick, but could you direct me further?

And yes, your point is very spot on about names. My only bone of contention would be when the AI assigns names that, while historic, make little sense given the region wherein the army was created. :)

Hinkel
Lieutenant

Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:38 pm

It would be indeed awesome to have a nice detail view of your armies.

For example:

Army of Northern Virginia
CiC : Robert E. Lee

I. Corp - Longstreet
Div-A (Hoods Division)
5th Alabama
11th Alabama
Div-B ...

II. Corp - ...

With a nice interface, this would be a great thing :)

Another example:
[CENTER]The Grand Campaign project[/CENTER]
[font="Georgia"][CENTER]Commander-in-chief of the Confederate forces in the east[/CENTER][/font]
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

Brannart
Conscript

Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:48 pm

Hinkel wrote:It would be indeed awesome to have a nice detail view of your armies.

For example:

I. Corp - Longstreet
Div-A (Hoods Division)
5th Alabama
11th Alabama
Div-B ...

II. Corp - ...

Another example:

Very handy! Thank you Hinkel! :)

And I suppose I should clarify that when I mention renaming armies I am not saying they should start with a blank slate. All I look for is the option to rename them.

GShock

Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:30 pm

Hink that's exactly what i have been talking about since august (not only about replacements, you know...it's in wishlist thread ;) )

How u come with these images is just...splendid :)

BTW i have here printed the 1.05e revision 20:

COMMAND CHAIN:

Army
-> Corps
-> Any unit (div-bde-battery)
-> Elements

Elements are those nifty azure/red icons in the right panel, these constitute units (the portraits in bottom center), U can't manipulate elements but you can manipulate units with the command buttons.

I.E. activating DIV command to a Leader activates the "+" button. Ctl-select units and hit the + and you'll have organized them in DIV.

Now how to make these prevail in combat is another story ;)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We ain't going down!

marecone

Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:25 pm

Hinkel wrote:It would be indeed awesome to have a nice detail view of your armies.

For example:

I. Corp - Longstreet
Div-A (Hoods Division)
5th Alabama
11th Alabama
Div-B ...

II. Corp - ...

Another example:

Man, this is a must for next patch :siffle: . Please Pocus :p leure:
Forrest said something about killing a Yankee for each of his horses that they shot. In the last days of the war, Forrest had killed 30 of the enemy and had 30 horses shot from under him. In a brief but savage conflict, a Yankee soldier "saw glory for himself" with an opportunity to kill the famous Confederate General... Forrest killed the fellow. Making 31 Yankees personally killed, and 30 horses lost...

He remarked, "I ended the war a horse ahead."

Brannart
Conscript

Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:36 pm

A dream would be to have a fully operational organizational chart. At the head would be the Army commander, with prongs leading to the corps commanders, with prongs further still leading to divisional commanders, and so on. From this one chart you could handle promotions, or reorganize your command structure. This way you could see the entire picture right in front of you.

marecone

Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:47 pm

I like it just like is showned here. With number of men and arty pieces. Simply outstanding.
Forrest said something about killing a Yankee for each of his horses that they shot. In the last days of the war, Forrest had killed 30 of the enemy and had 30 horses shot from under him. In a brief but savage conflict, a Yankee soldier "saw glory for himself" with an opportunity to kill the famous Confederate General... Forrest killed the fellow. Making 31 Yankees personally killed, and 30 horses lost...

GShock

Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:19 pm

I wouldn't exclude these nice features in one of the future patches. Pocus mentioned something like this to be delayed for the future when they were less busy.

These are the classic eyecandy features that help sell better. Nothing new to us, we know where to find those infos...they are already there....but put as Kurtz put them, they would surely help selling better because they capture the eyes of the "casual gamers" as well.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We ain't going down!

CristoFire-Ice
Brigadier General

Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:44 pm

GShock wrote:Pocus mentioned something like this to be delayed for the future when they were less busy.

Will they ever be? :niark:
[color="DarkOrange"]"- Il est à vous ce boulet?" [/color]:grr:

Pocus

Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:02 am

That's the problem :(

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

lodilefty

Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:15 pm

Pocus wrote:That's the problem :(

But that's a GOOD problem !!!!! :sourcil:

Prussian Prince
Captain

Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:19 pm

Pocus wrote:That's the problem :(

Yeah that's right get back to work you loafer :grr: We need to conquer Europe starting on the 14th :sourcil:

Sound of whip cracking in the background :siffle:
Player of many Ageod Games : AACW, ROP, BOA2 and PON!

Beta Tester for EU2 and HOI3:thumbsup:

Chamberlain
Captain

Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:59 pm

Wow Hinkel

Awesome job !!!

The Unit Roster is cool :cool: :cool: :cool:

Chamberlain

gwgardner
Brigadier General

Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:25 pm

GShock wrote:There is and it's listed in the manual as well. :) (page 20)

Is there an updated manual? The manual I got with the game shows nothing about a heirarchy chart on page 20.

Thanks for any help.

RELee
Lieutenant

Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:34 pm

Yes, there is indeed an updated manual. Go back to the first page, Forums AGEOD, and scroll down to the colored bar titled Other Files and Downloads. You should see AACW, Latest English Manual.

Or you can just click here. :innocent:

Looks to be a French manual over there as well, but I don't do so well with that lingo.

gwgardner
Brigadier General

Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:01 pm

Thanks for pointing me to the updated manual.

I note that there is still nothing on page 20 about any in-game representation of the command structure. One can see division components, but I think the original poster in this thread was wanting an overall graphical representation of the armies.

D_K
Sergeant

Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:29 pm

like it Hinkel, would be nice to see. Maybe with locations though as well, say written under the army and corps names? that would make it even better.

marecone

Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:01 pm

It seems to me that everybody would like that OOB improvement very very much :siffle: . Some would perhaps talk their friends to buy the game and AGEOD would make even more money :siffle: . I dunno :innocent: .

Come on guys! Please make this a dream come true for all of us ACW freaks :sourcil:

marecone

Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:02 pm

Also, this kind of OOB would be great for Napolen game too :siffle:

gekkoguy82
Major

Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:57 pm

i would absolutely love to see this as well. put me down for 3000 thumbs up votes

Brannart
Conscript

Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:15 pm

gwgardner wrote:Thanks for pointing me to the updated manual.

I note that there is still nothing on page 20 about any in-game representation of the command structure. One can see division components, but I think the original poster in this thread was wanting an overall graphical representation of the armies.

Yes, that is correct. I, too, did not find anything on page 20 about any in-game representation of the command structure. And you are correct about my original intent. To reiterate, At the head would be the Army commander, with prongs leading to the corps commanders, with prongs further still leading to divisional commanders, and so on. From this one chart you could handle promotions, or reorganize your command structure. This way you could see the entire picture right in front of you. I also imagine you could take care of certain elements such as reorganizing a command, as well as promotions and demotions.

marecone

Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:31 pm

Can at least some of our modders do some kind of OOB? Is it possible?

Guru80
Colonel

Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:38 pm

I was asking if we could add our own interface items such as this and was basically told it isn't possible at all.

marecone

Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:28 am

Damn :grr: . I sure hope you are wrong

marecone

Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:47 pm

Since today is my birthday I will bitch even more then usuall :king: .
I still hope for OOB but now I get few other wishes that are perhaps easier to implement and would improve this game even further.

1. Battle history
List of all battles with outcomes, casulties and leaders.

2. In game generals history
When you click on general name you get info on:
- when and where he was assigned in the game like: assigned 3rd US divison commander on July 5th, 1861...
- how he performed in battles: won, lost, performed good or bad...

First wish should be implemented as it was a major part of ACW history to track all battles, casulties and such. Plus players could research and see where and when they did good or bad. It would also give players a chance to compare with each other or with real history.

Second wish would probably make players more "attached" to generals. Like, having their favorite and such. Perhaps based on those new features adding something like nation hero ability or even iron cross.

Also, all of these features can be implemented in Napoleon game as well.

Even if nothing of this is implemented I wish to say I enjoy this game as much as my life lets me :coeurs: .

Just my two cents.

Pocus

Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:20 am

Happy birthday Marecone!

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

marecone

Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:19 am

Pocus wrote:Happy birthday Marecone!

Thanks Pocus.

Does this short reply means you are too busy to answer my suggestions or is it impossible to implement it :siffle: ?

Pocus

Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:56 am

both. AACW got most of our attention during 6 months. Now the things which will be done for the game will be:
a) fixing bugs
b) improving gameplay and AI logic if compatible with the next game
c) adding data, scenarios and events, if done by modders.
d) adding new features, if they are developed for another game and are relevant to the ACW.

Your query belongs to point (d). It can be done, but if there is a time-budget in another game planed for it. It won't be done if we don't have time in another game to do it.

What won't be done is adding new stuff which will only serve a game themed on the ACW, or is not planed for another game. We are hitting here the hard reality of our world: the company has to pay a bill every month and we have no other job and source of income than the company. So developing new stuffs exclusively for AACW now equals = a dead studio in a few month. I think that all the people here are mature enough to understand how our capitalistic world functions. :)

Now if you mount a kind of P500 operation that can subsidies an AACW add-on, then no problem, we would be happy to refine even further the game. :nuts:

edited post to appears less harsh, as this is not the intent.

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”