Maj. Frogbottom
Private

Promoting Generals

Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:02 am

I can't, why not? It says these leaders are available for promotion but the special order button doesn't highlight. I must be missing something stupid but I can't figure out what it is. I did separate them from their command and even put them in separate stacks, it still didn't help.

Rafiki

Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:46 am

Are you playing with random general statistics?
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

gekkoguy82
Major

Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:30 pm

i had the same thing happen to some of my generals, most notably longstreet. i am not using random general statistics

Pocus

Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:46 pm

You are promoting them the turn they are eligible? This is mandatory.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

drake
Civilian

Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:48 pm

Maj. Frogbottom wrote:I can't, why not? It says these leaders are available for promotion but the special order button doesn't highlight. I must be missing something stupid but I can't figure out what it is. I did separate them from their command and even put them in separate stacks, it still didn't help.

Where are you looking to see that they are eligible for promotion? If it is the "Is Promotable: Yes" on their unit card, that does not mean they are necessarily eligible yet.

Le Ricain

Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:02 pm

In general, for a leader to become eligible the said leader must improve his seniority by four places. This is done by winning four battles that get the leader a commendation message in the log.

If you click on the leaders unit, and then click on the leader in the bottom box you will get the leaders stats which includes his starting seniority and his current seniority.

If the leader is in a division, you have to done extra step which is clicking on his stars which opens his stat box.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'Nous voilà, Lafayette'

Colonel C.E. Stanton, aide to A.E.F. commander John 'Black Jack' Pershing, upon the landing of the first US troops in France 1917

Guru80
Colonel

Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:23 am

I was so worried about advancing to the next turn I just missed advancing one of my generals......what is the penalty? Minus 1 ranking in something? Or was it minus 1 senority??

Maj. Frogbottom
Private

Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:24 am

drake wrote:Where are you looking to see that they are eligible for promotion? If it is the "Is Promotable: Yes" on their unit card, that does not mean they are necessarily eligible yet.

Oh, I thought if it said yes they were promotable. I wondered why I hadn't seen anything in the message box, I thought maybe it was a change or something, so many updates etc. OK, Ill wait until the message comes up and try again. Just one question though, what does the "is promotable" mean on the unit card? Does that mean that they can be promoted sometime in the future and the Generals that say "No" are never able to be promoted?

Pocus

Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:37 am

yes, this is potentially promotable. It can be confusing, but it is less than the previous version where people never knew if a given general had a new entry in the database for the higher rank.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Guru80
Colonel

Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:19 pm

Now when you get acknowledged for your action on the battlefield and raise a rank in senority, do you need 4 of those to become promotable? I keep getting a lot of those acknowledgements but nothing about being able to promote.

Le Ricain

Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:01 pm

Guru80 wrote:Now when you get acknowledged for your action on the battlefield and raise a rank in senority, do you need 4 of those to become promotable? I keep getting a lot of those acknowledgements but nothing about being able to promote.

When your leader gets his fourth acknowledgement, the message will also state that he is eligible for promotion.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'Nous voilà, Lafayette'

Colonel C.E. Stanton, aide to A.E.F. commander John 'Black Jack' Pershing, upon the landing of the first US troops in France 1917

Pocus

Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:30 pm

Some feats give more than one seniority point (and some infamous defeats can result in a big loss too).

The result is: either get +4 pt, or reach seniority 1 or 2.

gwgardner
Brigadier General

Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:54 pm

what is the effect of randomized leader stats on promotions?

Rafiki

Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:05 pm

IIRC, their seniority gets randomized, but not the seniority required for promotion. Haven't played any games with random leaders myself, so I can't vouch for this.
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE

Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”