gekkoguy82
Major

Army Naming

Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:35 pm

this isn't really a big deal, but i've recently bought this game and in my first game i've been trying some strategies which deviate from history a bit. so when i formed an army in new york city (playing as the feds) it was named the Army of the Tennesse. So is this the game telling me i'm :tournepas or is there just a set of army names that are preset and not dependant on where you're forming them?

andrew

McNaughton

Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:57 pm

gekkoguy82 wrote:this isn't really a big deal, but i've recently bought this game and in my first game i've been trying some strategies which deviate from history a bit. so when i formed an army in new york city (playing as the feds) it was named the Army of the Tennesse. So is this the game telling me i'm :tournepas or is there just a set of army names that are preset and not dependant on where you're forming them?

andrew

Here's what probably happened.

Armies are named in certain priority.

Regions: This is looked at first, it sees if you are forming the army in a particular region, then it selects the first unused name from that region.

Order: After region, it looks for order in the list. It picks the first name based on the region (i.e., if you are in Maryland/Virginia/Pennsylvania and form a new army, it selects Army of the Potomac, if that is already formed, Army of Virginia, and down the line).

Since New York is probably outside of the regions of army naming, it completely ignored 'Regions' and went down the list sequentially until it found an unused name (no army was formed in New York). "Army of the Tennessee" was probably the first name, down the list of names, that was currently unused. Try forming the army in Maryland and see what happens.

PBBoeye
General

Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:28 pm

I'm trying to find the database for that and am coming up with zero. Is this internal?

gekkoguy82
Major

Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:30 am

McNaughton wrote:Here's what probably happened.

Armies are named in certain priority.

Regions: This is looked at first, it sees if you are forming the army in a particular region, then it selects the first unused name from that region.

Order: After region, it looks for order in the list. It picks the first name based on the region (i.e., if you are in Maryland/Virginia/Pennsylvania and form a new army, it selects Army of the Potomac, if that is already formed, Army of Virginia, and down the line).

Since New York is probably outside of the regions of army naming, it completely ignored 'Regions' and went down the list sequentially until it found an unused name (no army was formed in New York). "Army of the Tennessee" was probably the first name, down the list of names, that was currently unused. Try forming the army in Maryland and see what happens.

yeah that makes sense, i'll give it a shot in a different, more historical location and see what happens. thanks guys

McNaughton

Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:00 am

PBBoeye wrote:I'm trying to find the database for that and am coming up with zero. Is this internal?

Not at my computer, but I know that this is totally accessible to the public (I have found the spot, just don't know off hand where it is).

Rafiki

Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:43 am

HQ-names/-parameters are in the "GHQInfos"-variable within each faction's file in "Program Files/AGEod's American Civil War/ACW/GameData/Factions"
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

Pocus

Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:37 am

The code choose the army name, which is free to use, with the region listed closest to the region you create it. Seems TN was the closest one... Just create another name and region of creation in the file.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”