and if, how so ?

and what is a medical corps good for ?

PBBoeye
General

Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:55 am

Med Corps speeds Cohesion recovery

Pocus

Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:29 am

No forts can't be improved in this game, but trench level can, and the highest levels represent permanent earthworks for artillery.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

PBBoeye
General

Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:58 am

If I have this right, as the Rebels your heavy fortification arty is only at 50% strength, so you could flesh it out with replacements to full strength. This would get you more firepower, but there's nothing you can do for the defense. That's a function of the initial architecture.

Pdubya64
Captain

Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:14 pm

Pocus wrote:No forts can't be improved in this game, but trench level can, and the highest levels represent permanent earthworks for artillery.

Somehow I got the idea that it was possible to improve an existing Fort- maybe it was the name itself (improved fort). :siffle: My bad, and here I have been planning to "upgrade" Fort Henry and Donelson along with Island 10 in my AAR game as the CSA. Sheesh. :bonk:

Correct me if I am wrong, but it is possible to build an improved fort in a region that does not already have a fortification, right? Just have 4 arty and 2 supply trains in good shape.

*Sigh* ...guess I need to edit my existing AAR.

Pocus, would this capability be possible at any point? I guess it also begs the question as to whether the two sides ever upgraded existing Forts. I think they did in some cases, but don't have the reference handy. I seem to remember reading about them building earthen breastworks to augment the existing structure, where possible; some could not be upgraded no doubt.
Thanks.

DirkX
Lieutenant

Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:02 pm

Pdubya64 wrote:Somehow I got the idea that it was possible to improve an existing Fort- maybe it was the name itself (improved fort). :siffle: My bad, and here I have been planning to "upgrade" Fort Henry and Donelson along with Island 10 in my AAR game as the CSA. Sheesh. :bonk:

Correct me if I am wrong, but it is possible to build an improved fort in a region that does not already have a fortification, right? Just have 4 arty and 2 supply trains in good shape.

*Sigh* ...guess I need to edit my existing AAR.

Pocus, would this capability be possible at any point? I guess it also begs the question as to whether the two sides ever upgraded existing Forts. I think they did in some cases, but don't have the reference handy. I seem to remember reading about them building earthen breastworks to augment the existing structure, where possible; some could not be upgraded no doubt.
Thanks.

i tried to build a fort in Leesburg, i had 4 artillery and 2 trains, but didnt get the option to build a fort.

lpremus
Corporal

Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:29 pm

did you have a general with the stack? I had a general in my group to do the work along with troops but I think you just need a general.

Kotik
Lieutenant Colonel

Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:55 am

DirkX wrote:i tried to build a fort in Leesburg, i had 4 artillery and 2 trains, but didnt get the option to build a fort.

make sure the artillery are of the same type, for example 6-pounders, well I think you get the point.
"Saw steamer, strafed same, sank same, some sight, signed smith" From "The Thousand Mile War" by Brian Garfield.

DirkX
Lieutenant

Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:46 pm

yeah i had 4x 6lb, but no general, will try with general then ^^

Pocus

Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:11 am

generally this is because you either don't have enough mil control, or some of your units are badly mauled or out of supply stock.

Answering the previous question, you can build improved fortifications (earthworks and small forts) in places where there are no pre-war forts, but you won't be able to upgrade pre war forts to this model.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Pdubya64
Captain

Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:28 pm

Pocus wrote:Answering the previous question, you can build improved fortifications (earthworks and small forts) in places where there are no pre-war forts, but you won't be able to upgrade pre war forts to this model.

Rats! :p leure: Oh well; put it on my wishlist then Pocus. Thanks.

Le Ricain

Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:36 pm

Of course, you can always post your forces outside the fort and they will entrench/fortify up to level 8 (with arty).
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'Nous voilà, Lafayette'

Colonel C.E. Stanton, aide to A.E.F. commander John 'Black Jack' Pershing, upon the landing of the first US troops in France 1917

Pdubya64
Captain

Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:44 pm

Le Ricain wrote:Of course, you can always post your forces outside the fort and they will entrench/fortify up to level 8 (with arty).

Oh yes, most definitely Le Ricain; lots of nasty surprises for the enemy... :niark:

I see you're a Scotsman, LR. Do you live near any distilleries? I am a big scotch whisky fan myself. I am planning a trip to see "the homeland" (I am Swiss/Scots/English) in the next year or so and plan on visiting a few.

Speaking of scotch, isn't it about time for a dram or two? :innocent:

PBBoeye
General

Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:19 pm

Question on forts: does purchasing Heavy Arty replacements flesh out the fort guns?

Le Ricain

Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:03 pm

Pdubya64 wrote:Oh yes, most definitely Le Ricain; lots of nasty surprises for the enemy... :niark:

I see you're a Scotsman, LR. Do you live near any distilleries? I am a big scotch whisky fan myself. I am planning a trip to see "the homeland" (I am Swiss/Scots/English) in the next year or so and plan on visiting a few.

Speaking of scotch, isn't it about time for a dram or two? :innocent:

Aberdeen is not in the Whisky making region of Scotland. My hat is off to you for spelling the word whisky correctly (none of this Irish 'whiskey' nonsense).

The NE of Scotland's Whisky making region is centred around Dufftown; about a two hour drive. It is a nice trip as one can stop and visit the battlefield of Culloden on the way; in order to break the trip up.

You sound like a candidate for the Whisky Trail. Basically, you follow the map visiting as many distilleries (and their complementary free dram) along the way as you can. I think that the record stands at something like 17 distilleries.

Of course, we are talking about malts (none of this blended crap). The closest distillery to the Granite City and therefore qualifies as our local whisky is Macallans.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'Nous voilà, Lafayette'

Colonel C.E. Stanton, aide to A.E.F. commander John 'Black Jack' Pershing, upon the landing of the first US troops in France 1917

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”